“I had expectations as a returning customer but was disappointed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ikos Oceania

You added Ikos Oceania to your Saves list
Ikos Oceania
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   P.O. Box 132, Nea Moudania 632 00, Greece   |
Offers & Announcements
Free Transfer
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Nea Moudania
Bedfordshire
“I had expectations as a returning customer but was disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

Local Area
The local town is called Nea Moudania. It is a working commercial port with both cargo and fishing boats using the facilities. The town is small, noisy and grubby. With the Greek economy in such a poor state, everyday items are relatively expensive.

Weather
Perfect. Some hot days and some rainy days. Temps around the 25 degrees on average.

Arriving and getting there
Good speedy airport facilities ensured a slick passage through. Transfer time to the hotel was about forty minutes and by the time we'd finished our welcome drink and found our room, the cases were there.

Hotel general
The hotel is set into the side of a steep hill with reception being at the top and the pool area being six floors below almost at sea level. To access reception from the lift you need floor six. Going down, the pool will be found at floor zero. All the accommodation is annexed in blocks away from the main building. All parts of the hotel are kept absolutely spotless and sparkling, including the rooms. There is a "hole in the wall", situated in the reception area opposite the jewellery shop. All the normal debit cards are accepted. There are three pool areas with one of these being reserved for the exclusive use of the guests in block five.

The hotel was full and the public areas had lots of young children screaming around. It often resembled a scene from Butlins. Don't get me wrong. I have eleven grandchildren and am used to pandemonium and enjoy children but having it forced fed during my holiday was unpleasant. “Ah but it was half term”, I hear you say, but ninety percent of the children I saw were of pre-school age. Tearing around the bars, some on two feet and some on all fours until one in the morning just spoilt it for those people who came looking for an adult holiday. If the hotel wishes to target guests from both camps they need to provide facilities and entertainment for both types of guest. Alienating half the guests will cause them to go elsewhere (in my opinion).

Excellent and varied. Apart from the main restaurant there are three themed restaurants. All are non buffet style and all are excellent. The themed restaurants need to be booked three days in advance as they are popular. Book outside the main restaurant at breakfast time.

Drinks
Any thing you want. A decent lager and branded spirits if you ask. Waiter service in all bars with not enough waiters to cope with a full hotel.

Entertainment
A hard working animation team provided day long activities which included Gymnastics, Volley Ball, Aqua-robics, Darts, Bingo and more. The Beach was well stocked with sun beds, shelters, water sports and bar with toilets and showers. Didn't enjoy the Animation team getting the children to play water polo next to the pool bar when there was a perfectly good childrens pool up on the next level. I didn't enjoy the children being encouraged to take over the pool bar by the Animation supervisors after games.

At first I thought that the evening show was charmingly naive but as the evenings passed, I realised that the animation teams' ambitions exceeded their ability. The shows were just not professional.

Beach
The beach was great. Never a shortage of sun beds. Still many children but all I could hear was the lapping of the waves. There was an excellent beach bar with toilet and shower facilities. Powered and non powered water sports were available.

Excursions
Costly. Approx forty pounds each. Complaints from people who went on the “Sunshine Cruise”. We went on a coach sightseeing trip with a knowledgeable guide. Interesting trip. Weekly market in town. You can go into town (and back) every day by hotel shuttle bus. Leaves every thirty minutes.

Animals and insects
Cats. I counted one, around this hotel complex. I did not feed it. It looked in good health and I suspect, kept the cockroaches away. I saw one (dead) cockroach in two weeks. There were mosquitoes and other biting insects.

Sickness
Caught nothing. Brushed my teeth using tap water. Had ice in my drinks, ate salads but drank bottled water and copious amounts of booze.

Top Tips
The bath towels provided in the room are not quite big enough. Use the large pool towel provided free and change as required.

Do not place the green label on the room door telling the maid to make up the room. It also tells passers by that you are out.

When you go to the beach or town, there is no need to flash expensive rings or watches. Loads of pickpockets in the market area. Leave them locked in the safe.

Flight Booking & Thomson Reps
The flight was full and I was cramped. To pre-empt this situation I had logged on to the Thomsons web site and selected isle seats (C and D) for both myself and my wife. I checked that the seats were still selected two days before departure and on boarding discovered that we had been allocated seats “A” and “B”. The very seats I did not want. It was a very cramped journey. I am over six foot and weigh seventeen stone so I was aching to get off after three hours. After the arrival meeting I quietly explained to the Thompson rep (Julie) the problems with their booking and allocation system. She promised to report it back and ensure that we had the seats I had previously booked for the return. She promised to “do it” that week. The next week, unprompted, she said that she would get us the seats we wanted going home (we didn't care by then). Two days before we flew she caught us in the foyer and said that she would be making sure that we had the seats we wanted on the return trip! We boarded the aircraft with ticket stubs for seats “A” and “B” !*&$@*! Thomson please note.

Nothing much to say really. She didn't do what she said she would. Smiling and courteous, at her desk during the day and early evenings. Ready to offer help and advice.

Would I go back

Would I recommend to others
If you want Butlins you can have it, there was no escape. If you want to be energetic, you can. If you want to lay quietly around the pool you can't.

Having been to the hotel before I made the mistake of having expectations. For me it was the pitts but if you want a great “All Inclusive” hotel and you have small children then this would fit the bill.

It's what suits you that counts.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
south shields
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the oceania, middle of may 2010. The hotel is really nice, rooms, can't complain. But the food wasn't up to much, it was more what I would of expected from a 3 star hotel. Nothing greek about it though. We went to the main bar on the night time, and my husband went to the bar, there was only 1 bar staff serving, there were loads of waitresses, he ordered our drinks and was told, he was so busy to go back to our seats and a waitress would come and take our orders for the drinks. After about 15 minutes I finally flagged down a flustered waitress, and she took our orders but didnt come with the drinks, after 20 minutes I asked another waitress and she came after about 10 minutes with our drinks. This happened nearly every night. So when my husband went to the bar and if he did get served, he got us 2 drinks each. The same thing happened at breakfast, it was a buffet breakfast, and the waiters were supposed to come with flasks of coffee or tea, but no one ever came, you could never find anybody, all you saw was people walking about looking for the waiters, to get a drink. It wasnt' there fault they were short staffed but they did the best they could.
Don't get me wrong the hotel is really nice, but there is just not enough staff around. The beach was ok, but with the port being so close, it is quite dirty and you can see some of the oil in the water.
Would I stay there again, no, for the price I paid I would expect something a bit better. I would put that hotel at a 3 star plus. I have previously stayed at afitos, which is about 20 minutes further down and it is a really nice little place, so will stay there when I next go to halkidiki. Hope this has helped.

essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

This was a first trip to the Oceania. I went with my girlfriend and we are both over 60 so booked with Saga.and had a wonderful time. Could not fault hotel and staff they all worked very hard and our room was lovely and very clean, Fresh water and orange juice was replaced every day, which was very welcome. Thought restaurant food was very good, as what do you expect when they are cooking on-mass and at least you could help yourself to whatever you liked. Reading other reviews I agree the arrangements for booking the a la carte restaurants was a bit of a pain and we did not manage to get into the Greek taverna but the Italian and Asian were worth the trouble so we just used the taverna for lunch again, very good. Also agree the entertainment tream were fab, very friendly and wonderful at their job. The shows were very professional. Again, the pool area could get very crowded in peak time but as we went in term time there were mainly young children there and of course there was the constant music but we went to the beach where it was much quieter and had lovely afternoons snoozing after lunch. First time with Saga very impressed. Their rep Tanya was fab. Would deffo go again but always like to try somewhere else next time. 5 stars to SAGA - Annie Colchester

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Newbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

We have just returned back from our 7th stay in this amazing hotel and it just gets better and better. Since our last visit in Oct 2009 we have noticed some changes and for the better and that is down to the manager who once again like all his staff can not do enough to please. We would like to say a huge thanks to Dimitra the front office manager and all the front office staff, Cissy, Laura, Eva and Katarina. Customer relations Adriana and Alexandra. Olympus pool Irina and Micky who work so very well together along with Senja. Blue bar Supervisor Suzzana with Tetiana, Petra and the rest of the staff. Greek restaurant manager Paschalis and Evangolos who makes the best lamb chops ever. A huge thanks to Maria and staff in the Italian restaurant and nice to see Margarita back in the Asian all who do an excellent job looking after you. Thalassa restuarant manager ( Dennis the menace ) and all his staff who never stop working. Big thanks to Mr P, very nice to have met you and thankyou for everything. Thankyou to Maria and her cleaning staff who do such a very good job making sure your rooms are kept to the highest standard. And last but not least, Timo, the hotel manager, this man is amazing and does not miss a trick, he's on the ball more than Wayne Rooney. We would like to say a special thanks to him for everything to make our holiday once again, one to remember. Asked if we would return, to damn right we would. Once again thanks to everyone and Timo, we hope the Baptizm went well for you, your daughter Irene and wife Rodi also Timo say a big hello to Paul and your mother. See you soon. It must say something about this hotel if its our 7th visit. A truly remarkable place. Thankyou.

Essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

This is the second time I have stayed at the hotel and again, had a fantastic time. The staff here are excellent and are very friendly and professional. (the young eastern European girls in the main restaurant do need to smile more and cut out the bad attitudes which I saw displayed to some of the guests!) The food is lovely in ALL the restaurants and there is so much choice. The chefs work so hard and are constantly preparing food so that it is both fresh and hot for the guests. The only pain was having to queue up to book into the a la carte restaurants!! I do not come on holiday to queue and could not be bothered to set my alarm early (as many people were doing) to be first in the queue when the reservation desk opened at 9am. I missed out on 2 visits to the restaurants in my second week but too be honest, the main restaurant is so good that I was not too disappointed but the hotel does need to address this issue of reservations.

The pool does get very busy so we tended to go to the beach which was much quieter and more relaxing (not so many children running around causing havoc!) Drinks are served on the beach but I have to say the service was not quite as good as last year! Maybe this is part of cutting costs!

On the subject of drinks, the range available is super and of a good quality. The cocktail range is particularly extensive.

Peter in the animation team is FANTASTIC and gets you involved in the activities (if you want to do them) but is also good at leaving you alone if you don't wish to participate. He is a real credit to the hotel and was always smiling !! There is also a great gym at the hotel with all the latest equipment and the indoor pool is also good.

The hotel is perfect for those wishing to relax and unwind. There is not much in the surrounding areas but for a chill out holiday, I can't recommend this hotel enough (just be careful when you book if you don't want to share the pool with a million children!!)

redhill
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

First of this hotel is very good value for money.
The staff are first class and so is the food.
The rooms are large and every where is clean.

The only problem is 800 sun beds for 2000 guests. It was no problem as we are early risers, Up and on our sun beds at 7.30. The breakfast at 8.00 and back to the pool before 9.
But the hotel staff will remove any towls AND personal items from sunbeds at 9pm 10pm and 11pm if your bottom is not on your bed. You are allowed to leave for lunch between 12 and 3 and then it is back to making sure you are near your sunbed.
This did cause problems and a couple of near fights, so the hotel need to sort out this problem.
For 2 nights the Air Con did not work anywhere in the hotel and it was too hot to bear. But after people moaning they turned it on.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

We have just come back from the Oceania club. We think the staff and entertainment team are superb. The Al a carte restaurant was excellent Maria and MargarIeta ARE WONDERFUL, also the wine waiters.The downside is if you are couple over 50 dont bother, the Hotel is over run with kids, they are running around the dining room, the bar and reception areas in the evening have children with them until midnight mostly Russian and Greek nationalities.The management cannot control them. This is a good hotel going downhill. The entertainment team have to keep announcing to keep the children in order when you are even watching the shows in the Theatre, but to no avail Such a pity, this is a view from lots of guests we spoke to in the Hotel. the Sani group want to get a grip and pretty soon. as people will not be returning in the future.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Ikos Oceania? Share your experiences!