“Very good food in Speyside” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 11 restaurants in Dufftown
Cuisines: Scottish, International
Santa Ana, California
“Very good food in Speyside”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

We came to eat here from the recommendation in Frommer's and were not disappointed (can't say that about some other Frommer's recommendations). The food was not complex, but it was perfectly done. I had the haggis and my wife the cullen skink (smoked haddock cream soup), which were both good. I had wanted to try the venison, but my wife talked me into the fish, which was very tasty. She had the ginger chicken (chunks of chicken in a ginger wine/coconut/cream sauce), which was very nice as well. My wife fell in love with the sticky toffee pudding for dessert and still talks about it. All this and the owner was very friendly when we stopped by on a slow, rainy Tuesday evening.

91% Recommend
“You definitely want to eat there!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed a wonderful meal. The veggies were fresh, meat was perfectly cooked with a delicious sauce and the dessert was to die for! Wonderful warm welcoming staff! The manager and staff were so friendly and aimed to please. Very cheerful and warm cozy atmosphere! I would definitely recommend them to everyone!

Sydney, Australia
“A HIDDEN GEM”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

There was only one bad bit to this experience but I'll get to that at the end.

This is a veritable gastronomic paradise. The Chef is wasting his time and talent in this hamlet. Night before in Ayr we'd had a dreadful Nepalese (Indian) experience, but hey, that's what you get when you don't know what you're walking into. So we entered with trepidation and had decided to have the 2 course option for 20 pounds p.h. Starters we ordered chicken liver pate and the oak smoked salmon. The pate on the oat cakes was sublime, the salmon, we have far better quality in Australia - but as Chef explained, he gets the salmon in.
Mains, we both had the rib eye steak which was literally, melt-in-the-mouth. Such a tender piece of steak I've never had. The accompanying veg was petty ordinary and we simply didn't understand the grilled tomato and mushroom accompaniment.
We has a nasty french rose to wash it down, he must hyper-inflate his wines prices.
The bad - we were so blown away by the entrees that we thought we go the desert for and extra 3 pound p.p. but after the main, we were so full that we decided we didn't need the cholesterol hit. Chef insisted we have a sample "on the house". When the samples came out we protested that it was way too much but, we started nibble away. The Stilton was delicious, the mature cheddar lovely and young cheddar nice. Because I was feeling guilty about his generosity, we ordered 2 whiskeys. When the bill arrived, we were charged the 6 ponds for the cheese and 6 pound each for the whiskey. 18 pounds more than I needed to pay. Now I hope this was all an innocent misunderstanding, but this covert thievery took some of the edge off a most memorable meal.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dufftown
“Tartan Terror !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Seriously ...we booked a table of 4 at late notice . Upon arrival we were greeted and seated in a true Scottish manner, with pleasant humour.We had the Haggis..which l was assured had been caught that morning ! ...pleasant tasting and even pleased the non-haggis supporters ! The mains arrived all in good timing even though it was busy...the salmon was announced by the Aussie with us as the best she had ever tasted and the guys tucked into a fillet that they said was cooked to perfection. All the other customers looked happy and Sandy ( Chef proprietor ) was doing the rounds of checking was all okay and chatting to customers ...we thought this a nice touch ...and it certainly pleased my guests . Good knowledge of both the menu and the wine list...a good choice ! ....we returned again the next evening for more of the same. A good sense of humour is needed to make the most of your night ! Only one minor whinge ..l. like background music ...so a bit of traditional folk would have made it 110% !! and complimented the Tartan carpet. Sandy - sorry about the joke on the phone ...when we booked the second night ..but it was the first time l had known you lost for words !!!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Catania, Italy
“Great food, warm welcome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I stopped in for lunch and were greeted warmly by a gentleman who was charm itself. He gave us our menus and suggestions for the best beer, then asked if we had any questions about the menu. We ordered our meals, the service was great, the food was perfect, and the company lovely. We didn't have dessert because we were too full and I only had the sampler if that explains the portion size:) We actually wanted to go back the next evening for dinner but found ourselves meandering along the coast so didn't make it back. It's a lovely establishment with great food and warm service!

• Visited June 2013