“Could do better - but good.” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: African
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Could do better - but good.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Its a great location in what is still a mainly undiscovered part of the west coast of Cape Town so its not manically swarmed by tourists.

The food portions are huge which is great - but I wish the quality was slightly better. Notwithstanding this I would probably return ( I have only been once and I don't believe in judging solely on one visit alone).

Waitress service was good and we were served by a very attentive waitress - however on both the starter and the main course the meals were delivered to the table in part - from the 1st plate to the last plate was about 10 minutes which I think is a little poor in terms of kitchen service and planning.

However, if you want a good weekend restaurant thats quite relaxed in a new place then give it a go.

Last word - I was extremely surprised to find that one of the patrons had brought a piglet to the restaurant - I am not in favour of having dogs in restaurants nor at the table so seeing a pig did really surprise me. Interesting restaurant policy !

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Melkbosstrand, South Africa
“Excellent food&service.Amazing Vibe.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We often visit Die Damhuis-mostly after work for a sun downer or on weekends for lunch or dinner. We have never been disappointed. The wide variety of dishes on the menu caters for everyone’s taste. The meals are well presented and delicious. My favorite is the fresh fishThe exquisite view and fire place/coziness creates an ambiance all year around. The service is excellent weather you are in the bar area or sitting down for a bit to eat inside. The décor is tasteful yet relaxed and the beach area is stunning with a play area for kids. I can highly recommend this restaurant/function venue.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I habe heard some great things about this place from friends so we decided to drive out to Melkbos, and what a find. We were met with great service, fantastic food and an all round fabulous night.
They'll def see me often. It's a great escape from town.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Looks can be deceiving”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I recently stayed with some family in Melkbos and we ate here on our last day the venue is lovely, right on the other side of the road to the beach it is really relaxing on a sunny day. They have a 'kids beach' play area so you can sit out side on the 'beach' near the kids or on the paved area away from them but still in the sun. I'm sure if you are just there to let the kids use up some energy and have a drink it would be a great place. When we arrived and asked for a table it seemed like a major effort for the lady who greeted us. She waved her arm in the vague direction of a table that was big enough for our party of 5. When we got to the table it was covered in sticky dried on juice and an overflowing ashtray. We had to wait a while for someone to come and clear the table and wipe it down. Our waitress was either very tired/had somewhere better to be or was indulging in a bit of something she shouldn't... She forgot to bring drinks would take ages to come back didn't check on us. It was 5pm on a Thursday so hardly a very busy time, all other tables around us were only drinking. It the staff were a bit more engaging this could be a great place.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Go more for the atmosphere than the food...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I recently discovered this amazing beach restaurant in Melkbosstand. This area has been expanding like crazy over the last few years and many new restaurants have made their appearance. Die Damhuis is certainly a great addition to the beachfront, offering a variety of food options ranging between seafood, meat, poultry, vegetarian options and tapas. Not to mention their extensive wine list and cocktail selection! I have been their twice now and both times my food was nice, not the most tasty or the most flavourful, but it was fine. The service, although very friendly was not very fast, so make sure you are not in a rush when you go.

More than just their food, the venue is actually the best part – situated right across the ocean, they have quite a big premise. An inside area, decorated in a cozy lounge style, great outdoor tables and even a beach sand area with a play spot for the kids.

Such a relaxing atmosphere – really enjoyed it and will to go back, maybe for cocktails!

• 3 of 5 stars Food