“Dreadful hotel: would never go back” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mines Wellness Hotel

You added Mines Wellness Hotel to your Saves list
Mines Wellness Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Dulang, Mines Resort City, Sri Kembangan 43300 , Malaysia   |
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Sri Kembangan
St. Helier, United Kingdom
“Dreadful hotel: would never go back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

The hotel is very far from it's purported 4 stars. I'd give it 2 on a generous day. I'm happy staying in any kind of hotel - from Backpacker up - but it needs to be honest about what it is. The Mines Wellness fails on this - and spectacularly.

It's seriously dirty and uncared for, the staff - while vaguely friendly - are profoundly unconcerned (you have to go searching for the bar tender, and when you find them, they really aren't that interested for eg), and the internet connection is hopeless. Breakfast was included in my room rate - and there was plenty of food there - but I would have been unhappy if I'd been paying separately. The coffee for eg was undrinkable, and the "juice" would breach the sale of goods act in the UK.

The many signs around the place telling you what you can't do make you realise in fact you're in a gulag.

Add to which the serious levels of noise till 11 pm - not so dreadful, unless like me you are working - and then again from about 6:30am was painful too. A lot of this is from the un-sound proofed rooms and stone passageways - though the disco boat on the lake out front was charming, I'm sure, if you were on it.

The room itself had been well upgraded (nice bathroom in particular - though the feature requiring you to close the curtain to use it with any privacy was unusual) but then you get to choose: either you can have Siberia + lights, or no lights + outside temperatures: the thermostat did nothing - and with lights on (ie having put the key card into the 1970s slot as you come in so you can get lights) it was always on - and full power, to freeze any bits that weren't exposed.

I ended up having lights and the balcony door open.

Specifics: there were plates left in the corridor from evening room service on Saturday - not cleared till 3pm next day. This wasn't one or two rooms either - but stacks of them. Stray food on the floor in the corridor - it was truly disgusting.

I had to work and the internet connection was unbelievably irritating. The 'one device only' prison rule would be OK, if it connected at a 21st century speed and stayed connected. It was so slow there could be no Facetime or Skype video home - and it disconnected itself about every 3 minutes which is fine for those travellers who hate their families and want to keep it brief. Not so great for the rest of us.

The day Concierge was a redeeming feature: nice guy who really did care and was keen to help.

If there's a hell, it could be based on the Mines Wellness Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms in other hotels are better. Any other hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
MinesWellnessHotel, Manager at Mines Wellness Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2014

Greetings from Mines Wellness Hotel!

Thank you for staying with us at Mines Wellness Hotel and your valuable feedback. We are constantly upgrading our facilities and improve our services in order to serve valued guests like to better.

We look forward to welcome your next trip to Mines Wellness Hotel.

Manager, Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Arabic first
Puchong, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

Was there in Jan 2014 for an event. Stayed a few nights. Here are my comments:
1. the hotel needs some tender loving care. Paints were peeling away, swimming pool is emerald green with algae, the paths around the swimming pool area was not clean (there's a dead, rotten-smelling fish, rubles and rubbish dumped in the vicinity), the shower in the hotel looks hostel-like, toilet didn't flush well.
2. unpleasant experience among us event organizers at abdul & charlie's - were asked to pay extra hundred for a table with an OKU who had to sit nearer to the food instead of the allocated places on the deck. The OKU was graciously directed to sit nearer to the food in the first place by the staff!!! Were asked to pay extra too because of so-called participants exceeded the expected number. Based on...... voila, the number of glasses on the table!!!!! What if 1 person uses 2 glasses???!!
3. the layout of the whole event was different than what was agreed upon in the first place.
4. To be honest, with the price that was charged for the room and halls, the services we received, it is deemed best that one looks elsewhere instead.

Am shocked because considering the number of events held there, it could have done better.

Plus point, the courteous and gracious receptionist.

Room Tip: I rest my case.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
MinesWellnessHotel, Manager at Mines Wellness Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Greeting from Mines Wellness Hotel!

First of all let me thank you for providing us your feedback via Trip Advisor. I realize this took time out of your day and for that I am appreciative.

We have taken note of your comment and please accept our sincere apologies for the challenges that you encountered during your recent stay with us. Do rest assure that all points written have been reviewed together with my department heads to implement measure to avoid any recurrence.

Once again, I apologize for the disappointing experience. We take your comments seriously and your feedback is definitely valuable as it allows us to improve on our products and services towards overall guests' satisfaction.

May I take this opportunity to thank you again and we all look forward to welcoming you back to Mines Wellness Hotel in the near future.

Travelers are raving about these Sri Kembangan hotels

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

From the outside its a little tired. The building is fairly impressive but has the air of not being as well maintained as it could be. The rooms however while also a little tired were very clean and passed my three priority items. Shower worked well, bed comfortable and the air condition worked without sounding like a jet plane. In fact the room was very comfortable. The breakfast was reasonable for the price and the staff while not conspicuous were courteous during what interactions I had. All in all good value for money. The location is about 40 minutes from the KL city centre depending on traffic but as I was on business cannot comment on much else in terms of location as I was taken around where I needed to go.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Greetings from Mines Wellness Hotel!

Thank you for your kind review. I am very pleased to know that you have enjoyed your recent experience with us at Mines Wellness Hotel, and hope to welcome you back, soon.

Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Was here in May 2013. Could in fact be termed as a resort which is kind of self sufficient. It is a serene place with a mock beach. The breakfast provided was elaborate and had loads of variety. The rooms are well maintained and its proximity to all kinds of modes of transport is very useful.

Overall an excellent place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
MinesWellnessHotel, Manager at Mines Wellness Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

This is my third time here at the Mines Wellness. The hotel is really past its former glory. The place is really worn. The rooms are large, clean but tired looking. To add insult to injury, the entrance by car or taxi requires the driver to pay MYR3.00 upon entry regardless of the purpose including a drop-off. The hotel however, reimburses this by supplying guests with magnetic cards for the entry at the gantries. Getting here or out is a big deal because of the jams from the highway.

Apart from this, you cannot fault its location on the banks of a large body of water formed from tin mining activities in the past. The tin mine is exchausted by now and hence the name of this place, The Mines. The designers built an artificial beach which forms the hotel pool. The look of the water leaves much to be desired but the sum of the whole setup actually looks pleasing.

There are many activities here that are geared towards health and wellness with yoga and qigong sessions going on. Breakfast isn't much to shout about but I do laud them for the inclusion of healthy choices like a good salad spread. Yes, a salad spread for breakfast is found here.

Sleep quality is excellent and I woke up very refreshed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the artificial beach/lagoon. 2nd floor and above. The palm trees shade the...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

Greetings from Mines Wellness Hotel!

We look forward to welcome your next trip to Mines Wellness Hotel.

Klang, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I was in a few days ago with my two sisters. Mainly stayed over to go for the Big Bad Wolf Book Sales (conveniently next to the hotel). I appreciate the free room upgrade to the lake view suite. Liked the creative idea of having the mock beach set up by the lake.

It is as if you are suddenly relocated to a resort by a quiet beach or private island. The whole stay had been very calm and peaceful. Very private and suitable for those who would want to have a quick and relaxing getaway, without actually leaving the city.

Unfortunately, as for the rooms, it may be long dued for a total refurbishment. It would definitely do more good to have the rooms touched up back to complement the tranquil mood created in the hotel. Just a suggestion..

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
MinesWellnessHotel, Manager at Mines Wellness Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2014

Greetings from Mines Wellness Hotel!

Thank you for your kind review. I am very pleased to know that you and your sisters have enjoyed your recent experience with us at Mines Wellness Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

A Resort in the City is what I would call this place -- The Mines Wellness Hotel. Located just 20km or so from our home, we decided to give this hotel a try, just to get-away-from-it-all. Not knowing what kind of food Abdul & Charlie's served, we decided to give it a go.

Located right next to the man-made beach sits Abdul & Charlie. This restaurant will make you "work" for your food because it is located on Level 1 of the resort whereas the Hotel Lobby is located on Level 4. You can opt to either take the stairs or to take the lift but let me warn you, you will be mesmerized by the breath-taking view of the lake as you walk down each & every flight of the stairs down.

We chose a table as far out as we could so that we could get a good view and also that little bit of the beach-like sensation. It was breezy and sunny but the best thing about this is, you will not have that sticky-eeky feeling that you will normally get at a beach because.......there really is no real beach. The feeling was just simply amazing.

The Floor Manager who greeted us was very friendly and courteous and very well-mannered (my bad! I forgot to take down his name!). He handed us our menus and gave us enough time to decide what we wanted. He was not the "hovering" type. Really hate those. I must say that they have quite a variety of food to choose from and so, I decided on their Mixed Grill whereas my husband chose the Charlie's Burger.

Note: I won't write about the burger that my husband ordered because I didn't taste it. It won't be fair for me to comment on something that I've never tried before.

It took them 1 hour to serve us buns. Yes buns! The buns that they served with soup?? Yes, it took them 1 hour to bring out our first bite which were the buns. Not only that, it came with butter. Melted butter. I literally spilt butter oil onto my fingers because I was unaware that I would actually be given melted butter. Thank goodness it spilt on my fingers and not my clothes. We had to ask them to change the butter for us. Again, the Floor Manager was very very apologetic and he gave us new refrigerated ones.

About 15 minutes later, our food came.

My Mixed Grill @ RM45++

This platter comes with a piece of grilled lamb, grilled beef, grilled chicken and 2 grilled chicken sausages which of course comes served with mashed potatoes and a teeny-wee bit of greens.

Presentation was good. It looks a little designer-like but..............they could have been a little bit more generous with the meat that they use. Yes, slightly bigger pieces of meat could be used because the meat I got were pathetically tiny.

Anyway, I asked for my beef to be cooked "medium well" but it came out well done. Really well done. The meat was rough and dry and well, well done!

The lamb, it was succulent and tender.

The chicken, it wasn't the best tasting chicken I have had only because of 1 reason. The chicken was not fresh. The chicken had that (as the Cantonese saying goes, "Chau Kai Mei") smelly chicken taste. I put 1 bite of the meat into my mouth and my entire appetite went down the drain. I couldn't eat anymore. Seriously, for the price that they charge, they could have served fresh meat.

Overall, I must say that the taste / marinade that they used was tasty and good. It makes you want to eat more but......they should really improve on their cooking skills i.e. medium well is NOT well done; and also seriously look into bringing in fresh meat and not serve their guests stale meat.

Would I eat this again? Urm....not a chance!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
MinesWellnessHotel, Manager at Mines Wellness Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Greeting from Mines Wellness Hotel!

Been to Mines Wellness Hotel? Share your experiences!