When we arrived, we were surprised to find that it is off a main road, up a shared dirt road, with a really steep driveway (Our car had issues getting up it and looking around, we are not the only ones). Once we got up to the top of the driveway, we went to reception to find that no one was there (No note, no nothing). We rang the doorbell to no avail and after 5-10 minutes we decided to ring them. The person on the other end of the phone seemed surprised and came to the front door (Why she didn’t just answer the door bell I have no clue). When she arrived, she seemed surprised and mentioned that her husband had not written our reservation down in the book even though we had made the reservation 2 weeks prior. After a brief back and forward with the woman, we were lead to The Honeymoon Suite.
Once we arrived, we were surprised to find that the ‘luxury’ room was a tiny one room apartment with a bathroom around the same size as the bedroom. The suite was modern, if you class modern as having a 20 year old dust filled heater and a 10 year old couch and metal surfaces everywhere, making the room very cold at night even with the heater on.
Let’s talk about the main room:
- The TV had rabbit ears and reception was spotty at best.
- The ‘heater’ was a small wall heater that was in need of a good clean (We noticed that when we looked through the vents of the heater that there was an extremely thick layer of dust. It looked like the dust had been there for years and had never been cleaned.)
- The couch was an old, uncomfortable 2 seater that you had to put pillows on to sit in comfortably.
- The “King Size Bed” was nothing but 2 beds put side by side. The mattresses were incredibly hard and we could not get a decent sleep on them at all.
- The finishing on the room was awful as some of the electrical work looks like it was done by someone who has no electrical knowledge at all. Behind my wife’s side of the bed was a hole in the wall (Looked like it was done with a hammer and a screwdriver) with some cables snaking into the wall. I do not know where the cables go, or why they were there but it looked really cheap and hazardous. In addition, one of the power points above where the glasses were (A steel shelf) looked out of place. On closer inspection, was only screwed to the wall with one screw and the hole behind it was much larger than it needed to be.
Now let’s move onto the bathroom
- The bathroom was large but the shower and spa are in one unit. The spa itself works great and is a plus, although a tad bit small but there is no shower curtain which means water gets everywhere when you have a shower.
- The extraction fan is nowhere near adequate. When having a warm shower, the room would fog up within a minute or two even with the fan on. You could open a small window to allow some of the steam to vent, but anyone walking up could see right in on you having a shower.
The provisions for the first morning’s breakfast included 4 slices of bread with parsley on top and butter. This would have been great, except for the fact that someone (Either previous occupants or the owners) had turned the fridge down to 0, essentially turning it off. When we got up the next morning, the butter was totally melted and was useless.
On the up side, however, the suite was secluded, if you don’t count the other suite attached to The Honeymoon Suite. There were no views from anywhere and a horrible small balcony. In the suite there is a door that leads onto the ajoining suites balcony. This is fine except for what happened on the night before we left. We were watching TV when someone had the bright idea to stand out on the balcony and have a cigarette. I do not have a problem with this as it is their choice, but after a minute or two, the person’s cigarette smoke came flowing into our room causing my wife and I to go into coughing fits.
The checkout was pretty easy. When we were packed, we went to the front door to find no-one was home. We rang the number, got diverted to a mobile and were told to leave the key under the doormat. Done, quick and easy.
The room is ok if all you are looking for is a room that you sleep in for a few hours then go out for the day but for anything more than that (Like actually using the room) is useless. The location is brilliant as it is close to a lot of things but a downside is to the access to get to the suites is horrible unless you have a 4WD, even on the shallower driveway for The Honeymoon Suite.
One final thing, which is a major point for me writing this review, is the security. While I was on my way up to Possum Spa Apartments, I read up on some reviews on the internet and one caught my eye:
“Nice enough but advertising a bit misleading” posed on September 20, 2012 by OzTravelNurse
“I have a very big problem with this place however in that adjoining the Bayview Suite is the honeymoon suite. So I found out (the owners told me themselves after I requested to move to a spa suite) but the key to my room also opens the door to the honeymoon suite!!!”
I was sceptical so the first night when we arrived I decided to give it a try. The Honeymoon Suite key opens the door of the “Bayview Suite” and vice versa. I find this to be unacceptable as one would expect a basic level of security when they are leaving some stuff while they go out on a day trip.
So all in all, I would recommend finding somewhere else to stay as The Honeymoon Suite is not worth the money. You can get better places for the same price, with better security and that is what we will be doing next time.
- Also Known As:
- Possums Apartments Lindisfarne, Tasmania
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Possums Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.