“What a Find!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Posada Cielo Roto

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bijagua de Upala
Posada Cielo Roto
You added Posada Cielo Roto to your Saves list
nr the Tenorio Volcano National Park, Bijagua de Upala, Costa Rica   |
Atlanta, GA
“What a Find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Went with a friend in March 2012 on our 3rd vaca to CR and spent 2 nights. We had our complete itineray planned and only at the last minute did we hear of Rio Celeste. We made last minute changes and was unable to get reservations at the places that seem to advertise more. Finally stumbled upon this place on line & was able to book with Mario by e-mail. It is everything the reviews say, rustic, peaceful, good food & most of all kind staff who love their world and and are very serious about catering to and pleasing their guests. Convenient to Rio Celeste but a rugged bumpy drive and a pretty strenguous hike which is more than worth it if you are physically up to it. Beautiful countryside for horseback ride. Mario schedules everything and just tells you what time to be ready. We have spent a total of 6 weeks in CR and stayed at around a dozen "specialty type lodging". Mario's place is truly one of the most memorable settings & his sweetness as a host definitely ranks at the top. We would definitely go back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Mableton, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

This was an amazing gem in a wonderful country! We changed our itinerary at the last minute in order to see Rio Celeste and Posada Cielo Roto was the only place with availability. What a great 2 nights. The accommodations were rustic but fun and perfectly appropriate for the surroundings. The staff (Mario, Syvia & Juan Carlos) were second to none. Sitting on the porch of our house, I felt like I was at my very own Ponderosa in Costa Rica. This would be a great place for a group of friends or a small family reunion. Looking back at my pics I would never believed I would enjoy such a rustic place. It was the coolest place I've ever been and I enjoyed every moment. It tugged at my heart as we drove away. I think I could have stayed forever!
Mario, sorry it took me so long to write this review.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

Beautiful surroundings and very good host. Takes you to Río Celeste and Caño Negro. You can ride a horse (inclusive). The food is very tasty and very much :) The best price / quality ratio! (60 Dollars per person)

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

Posada Cielo Roto....what an incredible find in the middle of nowhere. We spent four and a half hours hiking Rio Celeste and the beautiful surroundings and when we thought it could not get any better, came upon Posada Cielo Roto. It is an incredible property in the middle of nowhere. They have rustic cabins, all impeccably clean. A large fireplace in the main house with a pool table, ping pong table, dart board and a jacuzzi. They have sixteen horses, a lake full of Tilapia, canoes and a river. It is so peaceful and amazing; you can become one with your surroundings. The food is unbelievable... fresh fish, meat, vegetables and fruits. The Staff is exceptional, always friendly and eager to please in any way possible. They offer excursions, from horeback riding, the waterfall, volcano or river boat. Unfortunately, we were only able to spend one night there and simply cannot wait to return. I have forwarded their information to all of my friends. Mario is the very best host and I wish to congratulate him and his Staff on a job well done!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Upland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

Serenity and magnificent nature at it's finest what more could you ask for? How about a clean comfortable bed, great food, a hot shower and a great host, well, that's what you get at Posada Cielo Roto. My husband and I spent 2 nights there and wished we could stay longer. After a wonderful breakfast, Juan Carlos went with us to Rio Celeste (we had a car, they do not provide transportation), he showed us around the National Park answering any questions we had. Sylvia packed us sandwiches and juice to enjoy before we got in the hot springs. When we returned 5 1/2 hours later, a hot lunch was waiting for us. Mario said Sylvia would make us anything we wanted to eat, and boy does she know how to cook! We let her make us whatever she felt like cooking, everything was delicious, we could never eat everything she made. No skimpy meals served there. The next morning Juan Carlos took us horse back riding. What an amazing was to spend the morning in this peaceful country side. The only downside is that Mario does not take credit card. Come with enough cash, the bank in Bijagua is not very reliable, otherwise we may have stayed a couple of more nights.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Cartago, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

We just went to Cielo Roto! We were 8, me and my family love the place, we use a Suzuki sx4 to get there.. When we saw the place for the first time we fall in love!! The cottage were clean, a lot of space to go around, the jacuzzi, and the FOOD, my God the Food.. You can eat and eat and eat.. It was delicious..

The trip to rio Celeste was great but really tough.. You need good shoes and lots of energy to spare but it was worthy. The horse back riding was really fun.. I cannot wait to go back!

The pool table, the jacuzzi and the ping pong table were great.. A small tournament at 12am! Priceless..

A good night sleep and a great breakfast make the experience unforgettable..

Thanks Don Mario

We hope to go back soon..

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

We visited Cielo Roto this December-January. We came 2 from US, 2 from Sweden, me and my wife from Costa Rica (we came in a pair of Daihatsu Terios). I visited Mario´s place 7 years ago with my wife. I sent an US friend that didn’t speak Spanish there alone and Mario made him feel welcome and enjoyed a great time several years ago too. He keeps the quality of good respectful friendly service. It is difficult to think of this place without this incredible Mario, that will give what you want, if you want to rest he will be an invisible guy that will take care of everything to let you in peace. If you want to take the tours, chat and have a feast or party he will help in what he can.

Food: Excellent. He has always great cooks with always fresh, great food. He´s always asking about your desires. It is incredible it is included in the price. Fresh fruit juice and drinks are great. Remember if you want liquors, beer, softdrinks, bring them with you.

Cabins: Very good. We didn´t have problems with mosquitoes. Rustic great place.

Tours: I friendly helper will take you to your pace to Rio Celeste in your car, I think it is the best way great way to know Rio Celeste. If available he would help you with transportation by an extra fee. Mario took us to Caño Negro Lagoon and took us on a boat trip with a great guide that took us to bird and crocodile watching.

My foreign friends that have travelled a lot, really enjoyed his kindness, good food, simple living rustic place.

This place is for all kind of tourists that really enjoy life and nature and enjoy traditional food and enjoy to rest in a wood rustic simple cabin that want to know the beauties of this area and won´t complain on the rain.

I shouldn´t be writing this comments in order to keep this place for me and my friends, but I wish the best to Mario´s business. We are very grateful with Mario in the way he has treated us and my foreign friends.

Room Tip: Ask to choose if a room in the main house or a lonely cabin some feet away will be good.