“never fails to impress” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Caribe Club Villa Cojimar

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Guillermo
Gran Caribe Club Villa Cojimar
You added Gran Caribe Club Villa Cojimar to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Villa Cojimar, Cuba   |
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Birmingham
“never fails to impress”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

This was our 2nd time to the hotel and it was just as good if not better than the first.

Compared to when we went last year there was some changes around the hotel. For instance the new kids club which is great. I am friends with the lady yunet who runs the club and she is also great.

Also the new wooden cabins. We did not have one of these and we heard people complaining that they were small and also paper thin so they could hear what was going on next door 

We liked the older more spacious rooms on the sea front. That was luxury waking up with that view every day.

Another change was the sandwich/toasty man, he used to only work for a few hours between 4 and 6 but now he starts about 11 until about 6 which is great.

The hotel will be closing again later on in the year, and they will be making changes to the pool and be adding a spa. The pool will become bigger and deeper which I am sure will be great. It will also be tiled. The price of the hotel however, and the star rating will stay the same.

Over all we find the caribe club cojimar excellent for the money and cuban people very friendly plus they offer excellent service. (so you moaning English people out there, go suck a lemon and pay 5 star if thats what you want) : )

If you want any more info, just message me.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

You get what you pay for! The hotel is basic and the service could be better. Other than that we had a really good time and would defiantly go back. The beach was amazing and the location was great. The rooms are very basic but vey comfy and kept clean, make sure you block your plug & over flow holes as we had frogs getting in through them. The food wasn't great but there was always something there for everybody

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
lincoln
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

When we'd booked this hotel I started to look at the reviews and some were bad but we've been to the Cayo's before with Thomas Cook so we went with the view as long as its clean and safe for the children it would be fine.
When we arrived around 3pm we went to our room which was very basic to say the least the storage area was falling to bits and the door would not lock properly but I could have lived with it when they'd cleaned the fridge which was disgusting but the view from our room was out of this world apart from the paper plates,glass bottles and rubbish and not forgetting the cables that were hanging out the ground. We headed for the beach and the kids loved it and so did I. The children started to get hungry so we went for a snack , well I was shocked one sandwich press for 204 rooms and that was it. The sun beds were filthy and falling apart but they had a few new ones round the top pool so I suppose you could get up really early to get your towel on one. My youngest child tripped up on a drain that was sticking out around the pool and when my husband took my son to the hotel toilet he came back and said thats it we're going. We could not get hold of the rep that night so we stayed that night and tried to make the best of it, the restuarant was ok but very limited food compared to all the other hotels in Cuba I have stayed but the problem was the service they just did'nt want to serve you.
The following morning we visited 3 other hotels on the same strip of beach which we all lovely. When our rep came we explained our concerns and asked to be moved to any other hotel and was told that if we wanted to move we would have to pay extra. We did indeed pay the extra and I am now in the process of trying to get my money back but even if we don't it was worth it to move. We ended up in the Sol Cayo Coco and it was top class but over all it was clean and safe.
I can't put all of my photo's on so if you want to see them just sent me a message and I'll gladly send them to you.
To sum it up, someone has wrote a review saying that they'd shut the hotel for health and safety reasons i can completely understand why!!!
Just pay the extra and go somewhere else we wished we had.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Grimsby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

the hotel was average nothing more or less well worth the money we paid (£600pp)this was for two weeks a.i.our room was very nicely decorated two shades of green.We spent a couple of days chilling by the pool and on the beach paddling in the clear blue sea,heaven,tho' the hotel was very busy mainly french canadians mostly very rude .then on our luxury coach bound for havana our guide dudley moore made our 8 hour journey broken by a lunch stop very interesting indeed with video's and chat.Stayed in a lovely hotel tho drinks were expensive,did the night tour then to bed.Spent a lovely day visiting a rum factory,revolution sq ect lunch at la fedora excuse the spelling.....hangout of ernest hemmingway,didn't do the tropicana not our sort of thing,so again a long but interesting journey back,where we befriended some true hero's making our second week unforgettable,special mention goes to Nick n sharon self employed shop fitters and deano aka coldplay chris cadge and family bob and flange....you were all little stars specially when tanya was forced to speak to the management about the lack of a non smoking area,how she could have stamped her cuban heels the dance lessons by barry and yvonne were a treat and geraldenes rendition of the winners song brought a tear to my glass eye,many thanks to all involved in this spanking good hol,[

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Cumbria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011

Lovely hotel, swimming pools, grounds, entertainment, rooms, staff etc.
The food is great, couldn't fault it as most of it is cooked to order at the serving stations.
Beach is out of this world.
Take a pint glass or something equivalent as you are only served with small plastic cups.
Go on the Dolphin trip - the most amazing experience ever and you get to visit mainland Cuba (trinadad and santa clara).
If your on a two-week stay make the most of the trips.
Thomas Cook rep was fab, he couldn't do enough.
For what you pay for it is exceptional and at this hotel you get a feel for authentic, traditional Cuba, if you want a 5* fancy commercial hotel go to the Sol Melia or Iberostar etc.
Overall would go back as we couldn't fault anything and Cuba is beautiful.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Kingston, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

This was my first time in Cuba and I opted for this resort because the previous reviews said it wasn't a very busy area, and the photos looked nice. I went for the price/location....not the food!!!! I paid $713!! Don't pay much more than that and you will feel satisfied with what you get. You pay more than that....you will be disappointed.

Villa Cojimar is located on the island of Cayo Guillermo where there is about 4 other resorts on this island. That is all that is on this little island. There is a 35 minute bus ride from Cayo Coco Airport in a nice air conditioned tourist bus (like a greyhound bus).

There are two types of rooms....ones in the old buildings made of concrete. they are dated, but sound proof!! Friends we were with enjoyed their room. We were in the new cabins. Very nice looking, new beds, nice new ceramic showers (shower pressure a little on the skimpy side, but still ok). But the walls are paper thin and you can hear everything. I mean EVERYTHING (wink wink nudge nudge). So keep that in mind! The AC worked great, got CTV, A/E, and good movies on the tv. New bar fridge, etc.

People....Staff on the resort were very friendly. The more you tip, the more you get. If you would rather not tip, they appreciate receiving toiletries such as shampoos, deoderants, etc as thast stuff is very expensive in Cuba. I left all my toiletries to select people. The maids often get a lot of it and will sell it like a black market, so I tended to give stuff out more equally.

Food....you don't go to Cuba for the food. It was mediocre at best. The beef was like chewing rubber. The chicken kabobs were good, as well as the fish. But I opted mostly for the pasta and the pizza, and the BEST rice pudding ever!. Its carb central. The fruits and veggies were limited in selection. I read reviews about bringing salad dressing and I wish I had listened. If you want any flavour, bring dressing. And bring ketchup!! I never had a problem with the food by getting sick and the water is safe to drink. If you want great food...don't go to Cuba. The drinks were ok. I am not a big drinker so I stuck to water, cola and slushies. But the mojitos and rum drinks weren't too bad. Th guys said the beer was watered down!

Excursions...stay with the tour representatives. Don't get suckered in by a local who will take you. You will get "taken" by paying way too much money for nothing. We went on a Moron city tour for 35 pesos and it was well worth it. We did horseback riding for 2hrs for 20 pesos...well worth it. Playa Pilar for 10 pesos wasn't so much worth it. its a nice beach with little shade. The beach at the resort is just as nice!

The Beach....When tide is low, you can walk out for probably a good 1/2 km! there is so much to find on the ocean floor, like crabs and sand dollars, shells etc. it is great for small kids. When tide comes in, it is good for swimming. It was a lovely beach and I have no complaints about it!

The Pool...it was big, it was refreshing, kid friendly, and lots of shade to hid under!

There are 3 internet computers with low speed internet. You buy a card for 6 pesos for an hour that you can use whenever you want. It can be slow to load and eats time rather quickly.

Overall, I enjoyed Cuba and being at this resort. I would recommend it. But I would recommend to keep in mind that for a budget holiday, you get what you pay for. You go to Cuba for sun, and fun but not the food!!

Room Tip: Give a good tip!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

A large group of 18 had a great time in Cuba!
The good : the beach is unreal! for sure it is an amazing beach very beautiful!
The pool was all right, the food cuban average, pizza was really good!
Dont waste your time at the Italian go to the Cuba twice if you can it is the best meal very very good!

The service needs some work as does the food issues if you miss the grill and the sandwich guy is out of stuff your out of luck until dinner...not that we went hungry but it is a little frustrating to be looking for food in the day esp. with kids.
I dont have anything to complain about really we had a great time the sun was hot the beach beautiful, drinks cold, our kids all had a great time.

Go with out expecting it to be a 5 star and you will enjoy!

Room Tip: 100 plates to 300 guests..can be an issue for some
Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Gran Caribe Club Villa Cojimar? Share your experiences!