“Allegro” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Burlington, Canada
“Allegro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Loved it! Beaches are amazing! Bring bug spray for the : no see ums`. Bring atleast a 45 spf sunscreen as you will need it. Very hot and only rained for 10 minutes one day....people are so nice

Visited March 2014

• Czech first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
“Although a 3 star, better than some 4 star resorts”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

My girlfriend and I went from Mar 8-15th. I'll give the rundown in order of importance (to me)...

#1: No seeums or sand flies! We brought Off Skintastic & Skin So Soft. Off did nothing to prevent bites, but helped fend off ants at our front & back doors. SSS helped, but need DEET!!! My legs are ruined! Cold water helps the burn/itch..DO NOT SCRATCH!! Polysporin seemed to be what finally healed them for me (4 days after my return). Avoid sugary food/drinks to prevent bites. Used air mattress to block 1.5inch gap under our door (room 86), which is next to the kids club house. Kids were fine, but the noise of the bouncy house fan was a bit annoying in the mornings.Tree frogs got in when we weren't in our room. They don't bother me, I caught one & let it out & staff caught the other for us.

#2: Bring toilet paper! Rooms have plenty, but it's rough. You'll need to bring some wherever you go or live without! Highly recommend bringing baby or personal wipes too. Also, no water service. You'll have to buy it at the resort store for 2 pesos per 1.5ltr bottle. You can refill water bottle at bars. Recommend bringing a bubba or your own thermos, which you can refill with w/e you like. Water is safe to brush teeth, but not for drinking. No face cloths provided, bring your own. Bath & hand towels provided & replaced each day.

#3: Exchange money at Iberostar Daiquiri next door, not the airport (rate is higher). I've stayed at this resort as well which is nicer, but always busy & I could never find a free chair.

#4: No Wifi! Can pay $4.50 pesos for one hour.

I was pleasantly surprised at the resort after reading reviews. It wasn't busy being March break, which was shocking. Finding chairs was easy and not many people on the beach. Definitely a place for families though. Lots for kids to do, but not much for nightlife as there is no club. But the bands & dancers they had each night were very entertaining. Recommend calling it a night after entertainment to avoid being bitten. Staff were all awesome people, I was sad that I wouldn't see some of them again. I will miss the gardener, Julio who was such a nice man & cut coconuts for us. Props to the overnight bartender (can't remember his name). Very cool guy, he even made me a flower out of a napkin..awww! :)

Beach is beautiful and better than next door. It is narrow & you can walk for meters and not go over your knees. Great for kite boarding as it does get windy. But it was nice since there weren't many people around. We laid on air mattresses in the ocean to tan..lovely!

All in all it was a very nice resort. The new management seems to be trying very hard to bring up their rating, which I think is working for them. I met a man who stayed at Playa Coco 4.5 star & his trip was miserable. He was covered head to toe in bites & said there were roaches at their buffet & others told him they had bed bugs, bad food etc. We made sure to check our bed upon arrival & it was clean. The maid cleaned every day & was very patient with us getting up late most days.

Food was alright. Due to previous experiences we avoided meat. Others that ate it said they were fine. Fish, meat, pizza & pasta stations are made to order so expect to wait in line. Italian restaurant was nice, but I preferred the Caribbean. The shrimp cocktail was lovely! Snacks are sandwiches only, at pool bar during the day which was so slow. Also served at lobby bar at night. If you miss breakfast as we did most days, they have sticky buns in the lobby.

Bottom line, if you haven't been spoiled by a 5 star resort, I would recommend it & for families for sure. Myself, although it was a nice clean resort, I would pay the extra for a 5 star that has a club. But that's my preference since I have been spoiled before.

Visited March 2014
Manchester
10 attraction reviews
“stunning!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

don't come here if you like to be active and do lots of things, it is very isolated and you go there purely for the beaches.

And what stunning beaches they are too! Stay at Sol Cayo Guillermo, they have the best part of beach and a lot of it. very safe for children as it's shallow, great for snorkling as the coral reef is near by and also great for kite surfers.

Visited February 2014
New Brunswick,Canada
“a nice an amazing return to Allegro, formelly Villa Cojimar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I just came back from Allegro , formelly Villa Cojimar last Wednesday..Has I write this review I know what im talking about has this was my 38 times at this resort..After a 4 year absence I was very please with all the renovations and ameliorations that the hotel did..Before talking about that, what stands the more for me at this hotel, is the warmth and the kindness of the staff at this hotel.I've travel a lot in Cuba but this hotel has something you won't find anywherelse..They give themselves 150% to make your stay the best.The animation is one like never seen.Always smilling and just want you to have a good time..Grounds are well kept the place is clean ,The rooms are spacious and very clean..You have to know that this resort is not storey blocks building, but you have your own little cottage on the water.Everything is close..You have 2 a la carte restaurants,italian and Cuban.Pool bar makes hamburgers and super thin crust pizza for lunch.Be aware that cayos surrounds the ground so bug repellent and Benadryl is a must for fleas bites..I recommended this resort if you want a place with all amenities close,rooms, restaurants,pool and beach..You will be amaze by the kindness of the staff of the hotel,Miss them all already..Thank you all again for the nice welcome back my Cuban family..See you soon!!!

Visited February 2014
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Dream holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Everything was perfect the food, service, staff and most of all the location.
I cannot think of anything negative.

Visited July 2013