“A very friendly hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Cayo Guillermo

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Guillermo
Melia Cayo Guillermo
You added Melia Cayo Guillermo to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Jardines del Rey, Cuba   |
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
“A very friendly hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We stayed from 6th to 20th September 2013 room 2309 - top floor. We had a couple of problems - broken toilet and safe, both were fixed quickly with guest relations phoning us to check that everything had been done to our satisfaction. Room was fine, plenty of space. Fridge stocked every day with beer soft drinks and water. Please note there are no kettles but there is a coffee machine in your room. The only real problem I had with the room was stained pillows, there were no pillow protectors on them. Cleaner could have done a better job, only really cleaned toilet and basin. Balcony wasn't cleaned in the 2 weeks and the sheets weren't changed reguarly enough.

I thought that the choice of food at the buffet restaurant was very good. Chicken, turkey, beef, lamb, fish, pork ( a whole pig sometimes), different types of potatoes, veg, salads, cheeses, etc. There was always pizza and pasta at a separate cooking station cooked fresh to order. Lots of fruit and puddings to choose from, could even make your own ice cream sundae. There was also the snack bar at the pool where you could get paninni's, burgers, hotdogs etc 24 hrs. We ate at the italian restaurant twice and the international twice, had lovely meals each time, couldn't fault the food or the surroundings. Could even get a takeaway pizza if you wanted!

We found the beer to be nice and there were lots of named spirits, smirnoff, grand marnier, cointreau, jb whisky, cinzano. There was also diet coke, all at the lobby bar.

Pool was lovely, animation team did games, archery, rifle shooting, bingo etc. Jimmy and Sammy both very friendly and funny. We went to a couple of the shows but it's really not our thing. Beach was very good, seaweed cleaned up every day and nice clear shallow water. The gardeners would bring coconuts to you on the beach, chop the tops off and put a straw in for you, delicious! Had mine chopped up afterwards so I could eat the coconut. Lots of fish being caught off the pier, lots of barracuda's around. There's a few market stalls on the way to the beach (in hotel grounds) where you could get fridge magnets, painting's, wooden carvings etc all at reasonable prices.

We visited the Sol Guillermo next door and Melia Cayo Coco, much preferred our hotel, lot's more space and gardens.

Did a day trip with Thomas Cook called Now Cuba. Roberto the rep was very friendly, always ready for a chat and full of useful information. The trip involved a ride on a speedboat, a ride on a steam train through sugar plantations and a bici taxi ride in the city of Ciego de Avila. Cigar and gift shops aswell.

On leaving the hotel (11.40 am) we were each given a bag containing some lunch, cola and water. The check in at the airport was quick and we were allowed to take our liquids through. A few gift stalls and duty free, again very cheap.

The arriving flight was half an hour late but turned round very quickly and we got home earlier than expected to manchester.

We thought that all the staff were great but a special mention to Niecty, Serguey and the evening staff at the lobby bar. We also met some lovely people, Jill and Dave, Linda and Chris, Peter and Linda.

We enjoyed our stay and if anyone needs any more info then please ask.

Kind regards
Baslady

Room Tip: Top floor rooms get a view of the sea.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Baslady:
Thank you very much for your comments about the resort in this webpage. I am very sorry for the problems you had in your room but I satisfied everything got fixed quickly. The management board and I will take into consideration the issues you mentioned about the room cleaning. On the other hand, I am so glad you had such an incredible holiday because I noticed you loved the food and drinks selection, our a la carte restaurants, the grounds and our stunning beach. Also you liked going fishing and most important you made a great connection with our staff; I will definitely pass your comments to them. You and your family will always be very most welcomed at our hotel, until next time receive all our love and best wishes,
Jesús T.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Polish first
Stoke-on-trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Cant really recommend this hotel/holiday enough! We stayed for a week and had the most awesome holiday ever, could have easily stayed for three!!! October - super hot a bit humid. The hotel was lovely, rooms were basic but more than adequate, and the grounds and swimming pool were great. The beach and sea are everything you could want from the caribbean, the most amazing sea I have ever seen!!! We went as a large family ranging, from my young son (6) to his granddad, and there was plenty for everyone. This is an amazing resort for kids the staff and entertainment was brilliant.
The food and drink was a great range suitable for all types.
We shall defo be going back next year!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Co-op Travel

Dear Caroline W:
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences at the resort in this webpage. I am so glad you and your family group had a very great time with us. I noticed you liked very much the rooms, the grounds, the pool and our beautiful beach as well as the drinks selection and food. Also the entertainment team made a great connection with you. You and your family will always be very welcomed to visit us again, in case you want to make any special request for the next time please email us to this email address: cac.mcg@meliacuba.com. We will see you very soon, until then receive all our love and best wishes
Lincoln, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We have been to many Caribbean countries before and Cuba was 4th place we visited. My family and I arrived in MCG on 22nd August for 2 weeks.
The service to check in and remaining of our visit was always helpful. Urimary was nice to us throughout our stay. The resort was spacious and looked phenomenal, nice gardens. The beach is amazing ! Out of this world !
Now the most important bit !
Staff - AMAZING, funny and very friendly. We miss you already: Yenia, Greter, Luis, Jimmy and Gerlad. Thanks to you all our holiday was the best ever !!
Food - great selection and very delicious. I don't know why people complain about it.
A la carte restaurant also very good, especially International.
I also need to mention all dancers as the shows were great and funny, especially Tony and Yamika. We met a lot of nice people there: Lazaro (thanks for the music :-) and Michael - the best bartender ever !! Thank you for everything.
Our room was always clean and tidy. Cleaned on daily basis.
We did 1 excursion with Thomas Cook (Motor Mayen) and it was worth every penny. The second was Havana (overnight). We went there with our Cuban friend and I can honestly say it was the best experience yet. We saw many things and places where you don't go on with typical hotel excursion. I highly recommend to visit Havana !
We always wanted to visit more Caribbean countries but we have decided the we have found perfect destination for our family and because of that we booked another holiday in MCG for next year (May 2014). I can only hope that you all will be there then !
Counting days now :-) xx

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear 992Kasia2013:
Thank you very much for your comments in this webpage. I am very happy you and your family had a wonderful holiday in our resort. I could notice you loved the rooms, the food and the restaurants, the shows at night but most important our staff and that make me very proud of them. I will definitely pass your comments to them because I am sure they will be very happy to know that you and your family will visit us again next year. Please contact us to this email address in case you want to make any special request for your next visit: cac.mcg@meliacuba.com. I will see you soon, until then receive all our love and best wishes,
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from a week at the melia, fantastic location with white golden sands. Staff are very friendly and are Allways willing to help. Room was clean and few drinks in mini bar topped up every day free of charge. Only let down was the food, it was the same nearly everyeal time but you must remember this is partly due to the trade restrictions on Cuba. I would recommend this hotel

• Stayed September 2013
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear mp8625:
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences at the resort in this webpage and thank you also for the wish to recommend this resort. I am so glad you enjoyed so much your holidays with us and that you liked the location, the rooms and the staff. Concerning the comments about the food choice, me and the management board will take it into account in order to improve day by day our services. You and your family will always be very welcomed to back any time you wish, until then all our love and best wishes
Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I have just returned from a wonderful two weeks at this hotel. The rooms are a good size and clean with fresh towels every day (I was in room 2207).

The beaches are amazing and the fishing was incredible off the long pier (take your own rods).

We went out on the catamarans and also chartered some larger boats from the marina to take us deep sea fishing and it was a fantastic experience with us catching some large barracuda, trigger fish and snapper.

Thanks very much to Dariel Velazquez and his wife Lucy for making our stay so enjoyable. They couldn't have done any more to help us. Thanks also to Yannis and Milsa for looking after us and always making us laugh!

Room Tip: Make sure you take mozzy stuff...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear TheTripler:
Thank you very much for your comments about the resort in this webpage. I am very glad that you and your family had such a great time with us. I could notice you loved the rooms, our beach and going fishing. I will pass your comments to our staff I am sure they all will be very happy to see you back at the hotel any time you wish to come and visit us, until then receive all our love and best wishes,
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Went tom Melia Cayo was not what i was looking for, went with my husband,son and friends the rooms were very dusty and stains on the floor. Room 3238 and 3239.
The food was not up to much at all the 3 restaurants on site, entertainment was average but only on for a few hours was ready for bed at 11 0 clock.
Not many shops so you could not buy much, needs updating and its like you are in year 1990.
The staff are amazing will do anything for you and made my birthday great except the food RUBBISH.
The beach is to die for AMAZING if you go that will make your holiday.
Pools are good sport going on for my son but not on long enough but yet again staff amazing.
I myself would rate this hotel a 3 star I have been to many hotels and this one did not meet the 5 star standard
(WATCH OUT FOR THINGS BITING YOU LOTS OF PEOPLE DO SUFFER

Room Tip: Go on to the middle floors in September
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear JJBB22:
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences at the resort in this webpage. I feel disappointed because you and your family did not have the holidays you were expecting. I noticed you did like some things like the pool, the beach and our amazing staff. On the other hand, you had some issues about the food, the restaurants and the rooms and all your comments about this will be taken into account in order to improve our services at the hotel. You and your family will always be very welcomed at the hotel in case you when to come back and visit us again. Until then receive all our love and bets wishes,
Belleriver ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My husband and I arrived in Melia Cayo Guillermo resort on Sept.20-27 2013. We were greated with a warm smile, music ,dancers & wonderful hospitality. The service to check in and the remaining of our visit was always helpful and served with a smile. Our room at the time (1226) was really nice and kept very clean. The food at the buffet had a variety of different foods and was very tasty.The other restaurants on the resort filled up quickly with reservations, and was unable to get in,but was able to get in for lunch . Loved the pools. Spent everyday swimming in them. The beach was absolutely beautiful. All in all just a wonderful vacation. The only unfortunate thing that happened was my husband slipped on wet tile by the pool side bar and grill and caught his toe on a broken tile and broke his big toe. He was in lots of pain, but we made the best of it and had a great time .,my husband and I are returning again this November 23 2013. With my granddaughter,sister and husband. Thank you for making this our favorite place to vacation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Shanna F:
Thank you very much for your comments about our hotel in this web page. I am very glad you and your husband had such a wonderful time at the resort. I could notice you love the rooms, the food, the pool and our beautiful beach. I am very sorry about what happened to your husband and I wish him well. For us will be a pleasure to welcome you back in November. This is Customer Service email address ( cac.mcg@meliacuba.com) for you to write an email for any special request, they all will be very pleased to help you. We will see you soon , until then all our love best and wishes
Jesús T.

Been to Melia Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!