“Cayo Experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Cayo Guillermo

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Guillermo
Melia Cayo Guillermo
You added Melia Cayo Guillermo to your Saves list
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Jardines del Rey, Cuba   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
yorkshire
“Cayo Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We had an impromptu stay at this hotel due to our flight to Holguin being diverted by Hurricane Sandy. As our coach pulled up to the hotel we were greeted by a band and dancers and offered a welcome drink which was a really nice touch.

We were given a lovely room on a high floor which was spotlessly clean. Obviously this was not the hotel of our choice but after exploring the surroundings we made full use of the pool and beach facilities.

We found the staff to be really lovely specially the gardeners who presented us with various artworks made from the palm leaves.

The food was ok considering the management had not anticipated all the extra guests at very short notice.The drinks were of a very good quality including champagne.

The beach was fantastic and was just settling down when we left after staying 4 days.

Thomas Cook came under a lot of critisism for diverting to the Cayos, however after witnessing the devastaion at our hotel in Guardalavacca, I feel that they did the right thing.

Thank you to the staff at MCG for taking us in at short notice and although our vacation was shortened by delays and a 7 hour coach trip to Holguin, we experienced a taste of the Cayos and a 2 centre holiday.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear unexpected guests :)

Thank you very much for your kind words. We appreciate you took time to tell us your opinions. It was just our duty too help in a difficulty situation as it was the passing of a hurricane, our staff always give the best to our guests no matter who they are or why they come. We only hope you liked it her so much that you decide to pay us another visit soon, with enough time notice!!!!!

Jesús Tenorio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Fabulous hotel, stunning beach and food was excllent. Only half full when we went but staff were lovely. Pool was nice, did get busy but we spent all our time at the beautiful beach. Ate in buffet all the time as the food was great (for Cuba - bear in mind limited salad optios and fresh veg). Rooms are a little dated but clean. Gym was good, nice size with working equipment. Would definitley return to this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear client:
Thank you for your excellent comments on this page about your stay in our hotel. We will consider all your opinions in order to develop the satisfaction of our clients. It is always a pleasure to know your opinions about our hotel in order to improve our services. We will transmit your comments to our staff and I am sure we all will be very happy to welcome you back in the near future.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We arrived the day before the hurricane !

So read the review with that in mind and the fact that the Hotel was having to cope with adverse conditions.

STAFF: Exceptional everywhere we did not meet a single person who did not go out of the way to help you. The Blond Girl at the pool bar deserves a medal, and a big tip, I have never met anyone who works so hard and is so relentlessly happy even in a Hurricane and I mean IN A HURRICANE !

ROOMS: Clean, bright, great beds, tired bathrooms (aren't most hotel bathrooms tired) but cleaned well every day.

PUBLIC AREAS: Spacious, attractive, well laid out, good pool, all well cleaned

FOOD: Adequate, the choice of ingredients is obviously limited in Cuba but there was little or no imagination in the resturants. The Meat Grill "Stir Fry" (And Fish equvalent) were the best by far in the Buffet. Alas whilst adequate the resturants are dissapointing. and they do not need to be ....................

WATER SPORTS ACTIVITIES: We saw virtually none due to the weather, we avoided the pool side games but the beach is quite and we enjoyed this far more than the pool

BIRDS: Lots of them and worth watching, the Pelicans fishing are the high light as are the Gulls at dawn on the "huts" in the water (What did you think I meant by Birds ?)

In all we had a very good holiday.

Now you may sense that there is going to be a but and there is a but, as I say above bear in mind we were in the wake of a Hurricane.

We had to complain about the water sports not opening after the storm, when we did they opened, we went fishing (booked ourselves) and that was fine but the diving still did not run even though it was pretty obvious it could have done as we went to the same place as we dived when we fished. The hotel had a big influx of displaced guests from other storm affected hotels that put a LOT of pressure on the catering, again to get a "resturant" booking oustside of the buffet we had to complain (However as they say "be careful what you wish for" as when we did get a table in a resturant they were dissapointing !) We have a tennage son and a hat and flip flops were left at the pool side (on seperate occasions) were never "found" so do NOT leave things laying around in public areas !

I sensed that the people who make the decisions about activities and resturants etc are not "customer facing" and there is no evidence of any significant input from the European Brand.

All the above said we had a good holiday marred by the weather, Cuba was fantastic and we will be back.

Room Tip: The Ocean View rooms are not overlooked others are, only the 3rd floor has what you might call an Ov...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear client:
Thank you very much for your comments about your stay in our resort. We will make sure to transmit your opinions to our staff because they are taken into account to improve our services. It is true we were facing problems concerning the hurricane but we always want to make our best to please our clients at any time. We will be more than happy to welcome you back and will do our best to accommodate you and your family when you decide to visit us.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I would agree with much of what is written by these recent reviews from October trips to this resort. All the staff we encountered really worked hard to make our stay very pleasant. I will reiterate a few good points and not so good. I will also add a few more aspects my wife and I really enjoyed.
Very Good - staff, hours of operation of food and bar facilities even though it is low season. Variety of food and drink.

Not so good - the bugs , slippery floors when wet , could use fans in the lobby bar for when it is humid and no breeze. The gym should be air conditioned as well.

We particularly liked the activities that were available every day. We played A LOT of pool on the pool table by the lobby bar. Really liked the fact that it is free. The table is in very good condition, has a friendly resident lizard overhead. Playing in high winds does add variables we are not used to ;-)
I Really thought the archery and pellet rifle activities were great to try.
We both loved the look of the beach and water , from the beach seats , from the long pier , from the pedal boats , catamaran, kayaks ( all part of the package)
Snorkeling off the end of the pier was great. There are thousands of sardine/ mullet fish that move as a large cloud as you swim near them...you will also see many other fish out there as well . Keep your eyes open and you might see schools of fish jumping out of the water trying to get away from barracuda or other predator fish. We even saw a few dolphins far out near the coral reef one day while sitting on the beach.
We had very good weather except our last day Oct 21, but this was OK...I really hope Sandy did not ruin this week's holiday for everyone

Room Tip: we liked the 1300 block , upper floors in case of heavy rain
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jesus T, General Manager at Melia Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear guest:

Thank you very much for your kind words and we are all very happy you had a greta time on your holidays. We will take into account your suggestions and work towards them. The satff and the Management Council of the resort will be exspecting your return and be able to welcome you back any time you decide.

Regards

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Just came back from a week at MCG (Oct 12-19) and am really happy to have chosen this idyllic spot. It was my fourth trip to Cuba since 2011, and while I'd enjoyed Varadero, I had quenched my thirst for trips to Havana and needed something purely relaxing - Melia Cayo Guillermo was just this.

I was traveling with my Mom, and wanted separate but near by rooms and also wished to ensure they were well situated based on the resort's layout. I emailed the Head of Sales, Carmen, who responded promptly and ensured she'd set us up with two great rooms (1237 and 1238 were second floor, partial sea views, and both close enough to everything while far enough from the noisier areas of activity). She also advised that as we were still in low season, dinner's were being held in the á la carte restaurants and offered to take care of our reservations in advance! (Yunier was our housekeeper and he took wonderful care of our rooms, always personally checking to see if we needed anything at all).

We arrived at around 10:00pm and were quickly and efficiently handled by the front desk staff (an experience I hadn't had in Varadero hotels!). We we got to our rooms, they were both clean, well appointed and comfortable, including very comfortable beds and all the necessities.

Cuban resort food can be a little disappointing, but I must say that they did very well at MCG. Breakfast was an excellent, well stocked buffet, with something for everyone. Lunch was á la carte and while the selections were a little limited, the food was tasty and portions perfect. The dinners were all great, including the Italian, International and Mexican á la carte's as well as the themed buffet nights. I'd had the experience of Cuban resort food being bland, but this was not the case here. The bar and restaurant staff were all attentive and wonderful, and I don't want to leave anyone out, but our favourites were Edel, Abel, Luis, Galisoka, Yosmani, Roberto.... ALL took wonderful care of us and paid special attention to my Mom.

The beach and sea were absolutely amazing! Because we traveled at the end of rainy season, storms kicked up some seaweed that needed to be cleaned from the beach but this was done in timely enough fashion that it didn't impede our enjoyment of the beach and sea. Also as result of the season, sand fleas were a nuisance (for some of the other guests more so than us), but that is to be expected during rainy season. The hotel does spray for sand fleas and mosquitos, but they're next to impossible to eliminate entirely in early October.

The entertainment team was fantastic, and worked hard at engaging all of us both during their nightly shows and throughout the day all over the resort - a truly passionate Team. We made special connections with Tony and Yamilka who really made us feel special, as well as Yeniya and Greter who were at the heart of everything all over the resort, but I don;t want to leave any of them out! The entire group, including the choreographer (I forget his name!) really put every ounce of effort into some amazing entertainment.

We spent 30cuc's on amazing 1 hour massages by the very talented and well-trained Pedro - I would definitely recommend this to all, and also enjoyed an excellent Lobster lunch at El Bohio, hosted by Glai and Jorge - well worth the 15 cuc is cost.

The best part of the resort by far was the people. The staff, starting with my initial contact with Carmen and right through the vacation, were wonderful. My Mom is quite a youthful and fun lady, and the staff all took to her, doting on her and making her feel special. She had a truly amazing experience thanks to the lovely efforts of the staff.

Overall, this was a perfect vacation. I'd had mediocre experiences in Varadero and Cayo Coco and was truly pleased with Melia CG. I hope to return to Cuba in February and will return to MCG for sure. My only suggestions for improvement would be to install fans in both the Lobby and Ranchon as both get quite uncomfortable when there is no breeze.

I understand that the hotel GM Jesus is new to the property and making on-going changes to improve quality and service - if what we experienced is as a result of these efforts, then I'd say he's done very well and to keep it up!

Thank you MCG and ALL of your staff for a wonderful vacation at an excellent resort!

Room Tip: All rooms seem similar and well appointed, but we found that the rooms in the 1200 series were close...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest:

We are very happy to know you had such a wonderful time in our hotel, on behalf of the staff and myself, i would like to thank you for taking your time and comment in tripadvisor. We will certainly be awaiting your return on january and will do our best to accomodate you and your mother any time you decide to visit us.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Spent the week of October 12, 2012 at the Melia. What a great week!
First, the bad..... The Hehens (small sand flea like bugs) were terrible. This is the worst I have ever seen them. Maybe it was due to the humidity or a precurser to the hurricane, but they were bad and did not discrininate!
Everything that was controllable was excellent!
Upon arrival cool face cloths were handed out while we checked in. Maria at reception checked us in quickly and thanks to Judith, I had a great room. A big thanks to both of them for being so friendly and accomadating.
As mentioned by others, the buffet was only open for breakfast and it offered a good selection.
The pool bar is now open 24 hours and Orlando, Tommy, Annais and Serge are always happy to serve up a laugh with your drink. All of them are great assets at the pool bar and make you feel like you are a part of the family. Annaconda is also back at the pool bar and she does a great job making sure the floor is clean and safe for visitors. I'm not sure who the cooks are at the pool bar, but they did a great job with the new menu.
The beach is absolutely wonderful! As soon as the tide starts to go out the beach is being cleaned. Whether at the beach or the pool, the best place to get away from the hehens was IN the water. Everywhere outside of the water was fair game for them!
All the restaurants (Italian, International & Ranchon) were open and serving great food. While I really missed Vania and Kiki, the rest of the cooks and servers did a great job and ensured everyone was well looked after.
A couple of nice new touches.... Dinner was available pool side one evening. The tables were located around the pool and the staff spent a lot of time and worked hard to make it look beautiful.
Two buffet tables were set up, one on either side of the pool, so there was lots of space to maneuver and everything tasted wonderful.
Nilson and Dariel both worked diligently on setting up the stage sets. They outdid themselves for the show at the pool. Although they were very busy, they always stopped to say hello and made you feel welcome.
DJ Frank, David & Lazarro also did a great job with the lighting and sound. DJ Freddy is also back helping out and fits right in to the team.
Many of the dancers are new but Dieri and Yoel are the common thread that holds the entertainment team together. Always so friendly and interacting with the guests to dance and chat.
Congratulations to the lobby bar! They have received the Melia award for best lobby bar. Luis also won a personal award from the Melia (as did Vania and Mariuski). Roberto, Luis, Serge and Edgar are attentive to what you want and do their best to make you a great drinks.
When you are at the Melia it is worth your while to locate Galioska (Gali), Jimmy and Yenia (JLo)! These folks will help you in any way you need and will make you laugh until your belly hurts. They truely are the gems of the animation team.
Most of the rooms have been updated and now have flat screen TV's and stocked mini fridges. New shower hardware has been installed in some of the rooms too.
Thanks to the new customer service manager, Miekel for the pleasure of the repeat lunch and for being so attentive to everyone.
The changes are possitive and I hope they will continue to move in this direction.
Gracias todos por uno semena perfecto

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guest

Thank you very much for your kind words regarding your stay in our resort. We will make sure to transmit your opinions to our staff because they are taken into account for bettering our services. We hope you visit us again soon and will always be most welcome.

Regards

East Midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Just back from a fab holiday at the Melia ( 4th Oct to 18th Oct). There was only one other british couple staying at the hotel, mostly Canadians and some from Argentina. Due to no TC bookings at the moment the hotel was fairly empty only about 120 the first week, rising to about 145 the second week. Personally I loved the low occupancy it meant no queing, searching for room round the pool or trying to find an un-reserved sun lounger. The staff had the time to talk to you and help you enjoy the most from the hotel. The only draw back to the low numbers was that the buffet was not open in the evenings. The hotel provided beach and pool parties in the evenings twice a week so this broke up the Al a Carte restaurant menus a bit as well. Having heard how busy this hotel can become during 'peak' I am so glad we went when it was quiet.

We booked with the Holiday Place who we had not used before. I would definitely recommend them to anyone. TC could learn a thing or two from them about customer service!. Their airport rep met us at the airport as arranged and put us in a private taxi for our transfer to the hotel (included in the price of the holiday). Maria was our hotel rep and she was very helpful but not pushy trying to sell unwanted trips to you all the time (TC!!!).

Upon arrival at the hotel Henry the porter took our luggage to our room while we received the most friendly and chilled out checkin ever - over a rum punch in the comfy lobby chairs! Nice touch which set the scene for a very relaxing stay.

We stayed in room 2012 (first floor room) which is away from the main hotel building but not far from the beach which suited us, it was also nice and quiet. The outside of the block looks like it has had a refurb but our room could have done with some TLC. Nothing major, just some freshening up with a lick of paint really. Having said this everything in the room worked fine and it was clean on arrival and cleaned every day no problem so we were perfectly happy. Facilities in the room consisted of twin double beds (pushed together bedding clean) , flat screen TV with BBC world news and English Movie Channel, ESPN sports, steam iron and ironing board, hairdryer, free safe, bath/shower, coffee perculator (take your own coffee etc as this was only provided once during our two week stay, good job we had taken our own). Nice balcony with table and loungers provided. Mini fridge containing bottled water and soft drinks which were restocked every day by the fridge man. If you want more than one bottle of water a day let customer services know and they will get him to leave more or ask in one of the restaurants or bars they are happy to provide for you. 6 hangers in the wardrobe but again quick call to customer services and more were provided very quickly. Our maid was lovely and left us the usual towel art every day. Plenty of fresh towels every day both in the room and for the pool/beach from the hut near the beach restaurant.

Buffet restaurant was open for breakfast each morning and we received excellent customer service from Yosmany who really goes out of his way to make your holiday special. He also works in the beach restaurant at lunchtimes. My husband wanted to do a bit of fishing from the end of the hotel jetty and he helped us get this sorted so efficiently and even came out in his break to see if he had caught any and give him some local knowledge tips on good spots etc.

Pool bar is excellent - a really fun place during the day offering seating in both the shade and the sun. There is a football table machine here which is free to use and proved very popular with some of the younger guests. Anna and the rest of the staff at the Pool Bar are brilliant - making up different cocktails each day and serving yummy hamburgers, hot dogs and toasted sandwiches.This team are completely nuts and full of fun, we really enjoyed our time round the pool bar. We never waited longer than about 10 or 15 mins for our food (everything is cooked fresh to order) and had no problem with either the quantity or quality of it.

The International restaurant is situated in the front gardens of the hotel. Good food and service with live music but until the buffet is open again in the evening perhaps the hotel should change the menu each week to ensure guests have some variety.

The Mexican restaurant was not open for our first week but opened on the second week (beware it only opens for Mexican night on a Wednesday) we did not eat here so cannot comment on it.

By far our favourite was the Italian Restaurant which is opposite the pool and to the side of the courtyard seating area. Good food and excellent service from Jesus and the other staff in the restaurant.

The entertainment staff at the hotel are great, during the day they keep guests entertained on the beach or pool with fun and games to suit all ages and capabilities - everything from rifle shooting, archery, salsa dance lessons to poolside bingo! In the evening they put on shows in either the theatre or the courtyard seating area. Our favourite night was the Retro night with everyone getting up for a good boogie and joining in the fun. Jimmy is fab as Tina Turner, Yoel transforms into a cool Freddie Murcury and Tony wows as Michael Jackson all topped off by YMCA!! Sure its not a West End or Broadway performance but remember your in Cuba - go with the flow. There is also a free to use pool table to the side of the courtyard seating area.

Bars - the lobby bar offers lots of branded drinks within the all inclusive package such as Gordons Gin, Jamesons Whisky, Smirnoff Voda (check out the list in the cocktail menu on the tables). The poolside and beach bars are great and will make you up a cocktail anytime as well. The bar staff a very good, particulary Lewis, Roberto and Sergie - its always a drink with a smile or joke of some sort.

Hotel Disco is next to the theatre area and is air conditioned. Drinks in here are part of the all inclusive package and its open to 2am.

Doctor - there is a doctor and surgery on site.

Customer service team are in a small office to the side of the reception area and we found them very responsive and welcoming nothing was too much trouble for them.

The only thing we disliked about our stay at this hotel was the sand flies or Henhen as the Cubans call them. They were a pest. We had taken Expedition Jungle Formula inspect repellant with us and it did not deter them at all. You can buy a small bottle of repellant from the hotel shop for around 8 or 9 CUC and it did seem to work. We were told they appear like this around October each year, the hotel does spray but I guess after a while the flies become immune to the spray!

Shops - the hotel has some near the lobby bar and you can walk to the Iberostar Hotel shops (next door they have a few more but they offer roughly the same stuff)

Bank - we changed some money at the airport (its in the departure lounge), the hotel reception and at the bank in the front grounds of the Iberostar hotel. To be honest the rate was roughly the same at them all. Maybe the Iberostar bank would be the best if your changing alot up at once but I would'nt think there is much in it.

The beach is lovely - clear water and very shallow for quite a long way out so its good for kids to play on. They also have lifeguards on the beach as well. Beach bar and toilets close by. The beach is cleaned each morning to get rid of the seaweed and there is plenty of sunloungers and shade. There is a nice breeze on the jetty and it also has sunloungers. Take a walk to the end of the jetty to see lots of fish.

Every hotel in the area offers similar facilities to the Melia so what sets it apart from the rest???? Well for us it was the relaxed friendly atmosphere, where even first timers to the hotel were made to feel like family. I can now see why so many people return to this hotel year after year. The staff are the 'gems' in this hotel. The manager doesn't sit in a back office hiding from the guests he is walking round the hotel ALL day. Would I recommend it to someone else ....yes definitely ..just make sure the time your going is a time that will suit what your looking for in a holiday - low season quiet and relaxing or peak lively with lots going on. We don't usually return to a hotel twice as we like to experience something different on each holiday but I would go back to the Melia for sure.

Thanks to all the fab Canadians we met during our holiday - Rick and Brenda Hendrick and their fun family. Marcie and Steve, David and Penny, David and Kathy we certainly had some Fun in the Sun!! Till the next time guys!!

Room Tip: Email customer services before you go and tell them what you want they will find you just that or so...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest

Thank you for your comments on this page about your stay in our hotel. We will consider all your opinions in order to improve the satisfaction of our clients. We will pass on the staff your suggestions and will be more than happy to welcoem you back any time you wish to return to our facilities.

Best regards

Jesús Tenorio

Been to Melia Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!