“Clean, friendly and comfortable!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sol Cayo Guillermo

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Guillermo
Sol Cayo Guillermo
You added Sol Cayo Guillermo to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Jardines Del Rey | Cuba, Cuba   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Dorval, Quebec, Canada
“Clean, friendly and comfortable!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

This was my second visit to the Sol Cayo Guillermo and it won't be my last. I went to kiteboard with some friends at the end of October beginning of November. The wind did not show up as expected, probably due to the change in weather patterns from Hurricane Sandy that passed by the week earlier, but despite this, my friends and I had a very enjoyable time. The staff are friendly, helpful and professional. The food is good but don't miss out on the opportunity to eat at the Cuban restaurant found up the north side of the beach. Definitively worth the 15-20 CUC per person. Rooms are clean and for the most part well maintained. My AC worked very well and I never was lacking for hot water. The evening shows were ok. I would say that 1/2 were average and the other half exceptional. I never saw them practice but they must have for some of the shows....very professional. I was there for the Halloween show which was amazing but probably too scary for kids. Overall a great trip although the wind didn't show up this week.

Room Tip: If you kite you will want to be on the North West part of the resort.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Luis Alberto H, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear customer,
Thank you for your positive comments, obviously the hotel staff is its greatest asset, always a smile and a nice gesture.
I agree with you that the beach is spectacular, we all work hard to make our guests' stay memorable.
we are pleased to see it here again.
best regards from Sol Cayo Guillermo.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Polish first
London, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

From the time I arrived at the airport and being picked up by my favorite taxi driver until the time I left this vacation was truly amazing as always. I am a regular who now goes here to see the people I class as my Cuban family. Saying that I love the size and feel of this resort I always love the food here the main buffet being my favorite and I'm happy the resort was busy enough that it was open everyday at lunch. It was also nice that the staff (my friends) were able to take time to be able to come and have meals with us.
From the front desk and customer service Yudy, Sandra, Iliana and Yaimi are always making sure I am happy with everything and thank you all for my amazing room which I loved. I miss the morning visits with them.
Mibi and Anita who make coffee in the bar always smiling and singing give a great atmosphere it wouldn't be the same in there without them. The bar staff at night also work so hard, I was happy that Joni was there everyday.
The shows were amazing as always Jico and Eidel do an amazing job and the dancers were top notch. The entertainment staff are always great they are all my friends and nice to meet the new guy Rey he fits in so well.
The gardeners and maids work so hard keeping the place looking nice for us.
If you like a small resort with a family feel this is the resort for you. If you like lots of different food choices and more luxury upgrade pay for the Melia. This truly is my home away from home and is always in my heart.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Brampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Oct.12 to 19.2012, was our third trip to this resort this year. Cannot say enough good things about this place.But special mention has to go to the staff at this location.They made our holiday, everytime.They are the most friendly and hospitable personnel we have ever come across in Cuba so far.Just like visiting family.And we have been to resorts in Varadero and Holguin quite a few times before our first visit to this place.

A very special "Thank You" starting with the Front desk, Customer Relations, maids, gardeners, activities,entertainment, the bar people.food service etc,etc,etc. If any group has been left out, just an oversight.

Talking about food.A lot of people complain, but just remember what you paid, and this is Cuba and there are limitations.If food is your preference on a holiday, stay at the Paradisus or Melia resorts and pay twice as much or more. Enough said.

So enjoy the beach, the friendly people, the scenery, and the safety and you will have a wonderful holiday.Just remember you also have to play your part to have a good time.

Cheers

Room Tip: Choose upper level rooms in the 400,500 and 900 numbers.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We are into count down mode, two weeks today, we are taking our 15th trip to Sol Cayo Guillermo. We have friends that are going to meet us at the main entrance - we met them 7 or 8 years ago at this resort. This will be their 6th or 7th time at Cayo Guillermo as well. We are so excited to see our Cuban amigos and our friends from the other side of the Ocean!

Guillermo has the best beach I have ever stayed at, and it is calling my name. The water is so calm you can wade out forever and feel like you're in paradise and the color is something that you can't describe in words. Also a worthwhile trip - the beautiful Pillar Beach is just a hop skip and a jump away. Wow! It is spectacular, and if you're hungry there's a great beach hut restaurant with fresh cooked food. Ask at the front desk, and they will arrange a quick open air bus, buggy, or moped for you.

Back to the resort. We love to go to the Cubanita bar, where we our friends Carlos and Nelson make the best Mojoto's and Ron Collins you will ever have.

The staff at Guillermo are so wonderful, they go that extra mile to make your stay the best possible experience you could expect, from the gardeners that bring flowers every morning to your door, to the ladies that cleaned our rooms, and the wonderful towel decorations that they would leave for us. The main dinner buffet has never been a disappointment, and the same staff greet us each and every day, on a first name basis. Leo makes the best eggs and bacon mmmmmmmmmm, We usually have lunch at the Beach Restaurant. The pizza is great and often there is fresh barbequed fish and burgers. Make sure you go to the a la carte restaurant Don Guillermo at least once per stay. You want to book as soon as you arrive, just so you're not disappointed as it gets booked fast.

We have been to many other resorts in the Carribean, but we have never seen talent as good as the nightly performances at the main lobby bar. They are funny, entertaining and extremely well done. We can't wait to go back!

Diana and Mark, Canada

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dumfries, Scotland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This has to be the worst hotel we have ever had the misfortune of staying in so much so we have now cancelled our holiday we had booked in Feb and lost a lot of money doing so. We had mould on our pillows, mould in our bathroom, bugs in our bathroom, the fridge didn't work, the shelf the safe was sitting on was about to fall off the wall, the room was not secure with a gaping hole at the top of out door and as for the food!!!!!! Raw and cold meat. Do not waste your money on this hotel. It's just as well we took snacks with us for our son. Thomas Cook this is NOT a 4 star hotel, I have been to a 4 star in Cuba before and know what to expect but this was far short of the mark. We did complain and got offered another room but by the time anything came to being dealt with the damage had been done. We paid extra to move to the Melia and would thoroughly recommend that hotel. They couldn't have done enough for us. When you pay thousands of pounds for a 4 star hotel and spend 16 months looking forward to a country we fell in love with we expect to get it.
I can put up with a lot of things but not even having edible food and rude bar staff took the biscuit!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

It was my first trip to sol cayo guillermo and it wont be my last!
The hotel was everything i wanted .The rooms where realy cute fonctional and spacious.Not luxiourius but me i dont need that to be happy. Plenty of towels hot water never run out.I ghot some bugs and i should have bring my raid so first tip bring some raid just in case!

The beach was more than amazing!!Im a water and nature lover and there i was in heaven!!!The beach was clean by hand by the most nice and hardworking guys.Thumbs ups for the lifeguards and security mans super friendly!!

The food was good i was even surprise than i did nott gain weigth!!A lots of fruits and vegetables .I miss the goyave smooties they made in the mornings.... the papayas wheres super tasty.The roast pork an chikens in the evening buffet was superb and serve by the amazinely nice Yuri.The wait staff where all fast .Yamilla in the morning such a sweet ladie! A la carte was good too!!

Pool was huge and cleaner than my parents little pool thanks to a realy hard working extra nice man that tolld me is name several times but i cant remember!

All staff there where more than nice.By nice to them please!!

To resume if you dont need luxury go and be happy....;p For the luxury kind there the Melia just beside...but the sol beach is better!
Magalie :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Have been to Cuba many times, so know what to expect.

Very good hotel with well maintained rooms, grounds and excellent service.

The check in was quick and friendly, the room was functional and clean, we had ocean view.

The beach is long and easy to find spots, even though the hotel is quite busy.

The food was very good, good choice of vegetables, meats and fish. There was always something we loved. It does get repetitive by the end of your stay, but nevertheless tasty!

The main bar was good with good choice of drinks and friendly service. Excellent life music at night - very enjoyable!

The pool was very clean and quite large.

A TV and air conditionning stopped working in our room during our stay, but a technician was sent immediately and fixed the AC in no time and our TV was replaced within less than an hour - excellent service!

Some very minor issues - often clean beach towels don't get delivered to the hotel untill later in the day, so you might get stuck with dirty towels or no towels at all if you just got there, so you may want to bring your beach towels for back-up.

The only issue we had was with bugs at the beach (not the hotel's fault!) and got literally eaten alive. Our repellent did not work, so make sure to bring a few types and afterbite/benadryl spray if you are going in the winter months.

Make sure to visit playa pilar, which is absolutely beautiful with clear water and lots of marine life to admire. You can get there by bus (5 pesos per person roundtrip) or take a cub, which is 10 pesos roundtrip, you just tell the cab what time to pick you up on your way back. Buses dont exactly come on time so we opted for the cab and were happy we did.

Really, we have no complaints about this hotel - go and enjoy your vacation at Sol Cayo Guillermo!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Luis Alberto H, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear customer,
Thanks for writing his extensive comments on tripadvisor, we will continue working on the same line, improving day after day.
All staff is happy that there had a good holiday.
Kindest regards from Sol Cayo Guillermo.
Luis.

Been to Sol Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!