“Amazing trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sol Cayo Guillermo

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Guillermo
Sol Cayo Guillermo
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Jardines Del Rey | Cuba, Cuba   |
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Mont-Saint-Hilaire, Quebec, Canada
“Amazing trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I had an amazing trip to this hotel in cayo guillermo. It was my first time there. Was my fifth in cuba so far.
And the best by far, the beach is the best !
The staff is super friendly and charming, they really want to make your stay the best.
Our room was gorgeous, quiet .
The gardeners often left us flowers and coconuts at the doorstep.
We travelled a lot to other hotels and beaches, 5 cuc back and forth, def a good idea.
The buffet is awesome.
Don't get fooled by the weather channel , cuba is nice anyway, if the rain is on the forecast it'll leave within 20 min.
We also made friends there, and i would really like to bring some stuff to them ( staff of the hotel ) email me at girlsonskis@hotmail.fr if you are making a trip there soon, would love to have you bring some stuff to them for me ! thank you

2,295 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I have been a guest at this hotel since it first opened many yrs ago. I spent a week there recently and it never seizes to amaze me, there is alway's something that I can say.."wow, that was a first". The beach is by far the most beautiful I have ever seen and I have seen many in different country's. The staff, well this is why this hotel is so popular. They are friendly, funny and so loveable!!!! They go out of their way to please you.
The rooms are nice and spacious and the property is very lush.
I have made many friend's here throughout the yrs, family infact! Were else can you go and become so close to the staff that they ask you to become their child's godmother? This truly is a special place.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

we were at scg in march, june and october this year. The resort is not fancy but it is so comfortable and relaxing and friendly that we choose it over others we have been to .
The beach is remarkable and the highlight each time for us.
We walked along the beach to an area full of conch shells and which was amazing ..about an hour walk and shoes needed.
The trolley bus to pilar beach is worth an afternoon...beautiful and some days you are lucky to find large starfish.. take pictures and put them back they are protected there.
Rooms are basic but we had no maintenance issues . The housekeepers were fabulous and friendly. Limited english so sometimes they are shy until you greet them .
Customer service staff Lupe and Sandra are both amazing and will help with anything you need and with any concerns.
We are not focused on food as we hate to leave the beach to go to lunch etc. but there is always something good to eat .Watch for the Churro hut to be open
Don Guillermo restaurant is very good shrimp and beef tenderloin dinner both recommended. wonderful waiters Alexys and Mikael.
Main bar staff are stars ! carlos c, yamilla, yamilla 2, elizabeth, esther, lesy, franci,jonni <3
treat you like gold.
Buffet staff Rolando, Brandys,Yuri and all the girls are friendly and wonderful to chat with.
This is a lovely place to rest, relax ,read and you can find fun and activities if you are after them.
I am always surprised with all of the great features of this hotel that people comment about a plastic glass and other trivial items.. There is a very special spirit at this resort and I feel sorry for those that miss the connection by going out of their way to look for small items to complain about. We met many people who were there for the first time and who felt the love !!
Be sure to go to the Cuban Day event at the Cubanito Beach bar on friday afternoons
Luis is an on hands manager who is always checking on guests and takes concerns seriously.
Entertainment staff are very talented... eddie, julio, eidel are great to visit and chat with guests.
Keep in mind that many of the dancers have studied for years and many of the staff are very well educated and some have studied abroad.. dont assume that the job of waiting on guests reflects their knowledge .. they are many very special individuals at this resort who I admire , working very long hours and travelling to work. missing time with their families to try and improve the lives of their children.
keep an open mind and this resort will capture your heart.

Room Tip: we love to be near the ocean and beach bar.. everything is close by and we can run back to our room...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Granby, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

I have just coming bach from two weeks at rhis hotel.Beautiful beach,people are so nice, very professional service,excellent food very varied, room always clean. I recommend this hotel for your trip to Cayo Guillermo.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed this holiday.

We both work in a hotel in England and really needed a holiday that offers a relaxing environment. The staff were great and service was exceptional.

There were times at the beginning of the holiday that evening dinner was lacking BUT this was soon turned around and for the rest of our break was none other than excellent.

As a Manager within a hotel I can honestly say please stay here. They will offer you variety of excellent service and satisfaction throughout your stay.

I do have to say that I was embarrassed to be a witness to the behaviour of British tourists as they are so demanding and can be so rude. I am British myself and working in a high star hotel and trying to satisfy the British is hard work.

From this please ignore them and make sure you book this resort as your next destination. I promise you, you will feel relaxed, pampered and realise life will not get better than this.

On a last note i would like to thank all the staff during my stay. You are a credit to Sol Cayo Guillermo resort, your profession and country.

One final thanks to the GM Luis Alberto Heras. This is why you are a General Manager. Congratulations.

Steve and Lora.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I have just returned from a one week stay at this hotel. It was my 3rd time there and it just gets better each time. What I particularly enjoy about this resort is its size... smaller which makes it much more quiet. I was in room 228, a bit further away from the pool and other activities, and I felt really secure.

My room
It was clean and had basic ammenities. I had a few glitches (breaker would jump and the AC also leaked) but they were quickly attended to so no worries. If you are expecting a room like you'd get at the Hilton, then you're at the wrong place. So many people have said it before me, it's Cuba... don't expect luxury. The rooms are comfortable.

We were at the main dining room for breakfast and dinner, and were always happy with the selection we had. I never ate so many eggs in my life, but that was my choice, and not the lack of other food selection. Tables were always ready and the personnel only wants to help you and make you feel special. Worthy to mention is the banana flambé made at dinner time - try it and you'll be addicted!

We also had an a la carte dinner at the Don Guillermo and it was excellent. Lunchs were taken at the Ranchon or at the barbacoa, and we always had a nice selection of salads or your could make your own with different dressings. The hamburgers I suspect are made with porc and not beef, so we made real sure that they stayed a bit longer on the bbq.

The beach
one word - AMAZING! lots of white sand and you could walk miles and miles. The water is crystal clear. Make a point of going to Pilar, you won't regret it.

Other
If you wish to see a bit more of Cuba, I suggest a visit to the closest city, Moron. we took this excursion and were not disappointed. Be careful though because obviously the guide will bring you to visit tourists traps, so I suggest that you actually go into a typical cuban store where you can buy things are much cheaper prices. For instance, you can buy coffee for 7 CUC although you would pay 14 CUC at the hotel!

Minor irritants
I was told twice that since I was a repeat guest, I wouldn't have to pay for the safety deposit box. At the end of my stay, I was then told that I had to pay. Not that it's a big amount, but knowing that even before you start your vacation, you had to set aside 12 CUC for this, as well as 25 CUC for the airport tax, well that increases the price of your vacation. It also made me upset because the staff came back on their word.

My friend and I had also asked to have rooms next to one another, which we didn't end up getting. On the evening we arrived, the computer system was down and we were not able to get our room card until the next day at lunch time... a bit of an inconvenient. There should be a back up system.

In summary, would I go back? yes, absolutely. It's the perfect get away to rest and enjoy the great weather, the wonderful staff who are always smiling and trying to make your stay memorable. One last thing, make sure you bring insect repellent! I was so bitten that I looked like I had had the chicken pox.

Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

i went to this hotel back in sept ,i met the most amazing people who definetly made my trip memorable,DAVE & IRENE, KATHERINE & ANDY, ANNIE .. many more,my room was clean( no bugs) my balcony door didnt lock but was not a problem,food not bad ,visit the hut down the beach AWESOME lobster,going back Dec 2-9 with my daughter,and dave & irene,looking forward to it,Give this hotel a try ,you will be pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: if your looking for quiet you want to be in the 2-5 area ,near the beach bar and disco and main area...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Sol Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!