“Don't think twice....make this resort your next holiday!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sol Cayo Guillermo

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Guillermo
Sol Cayo Guillermo
You added Sol Cayo Guillermo to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Jardines Del Rey | Cuba, Cuba   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Don't think twice....make this resort your next holiday!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My partner and I thoroughly enjoyed this holiday.

We both work in a hotel in England and really needed a holiday that offers a relaxing environment. The staff were great and service was exceptional.

There were times at the beginning of the holiday that evening dinner was lacking BUT this was soon turned around and for the rest of our break was none other than excellent.

As a Manager within a hotel I can honestly say please stay here. They will offer you variety of excellent service and satisfaction throughout your stay.

I do have to say that I was embarrassed to be a witness to the behaviour of British tourists as they are so demanding and can be so rude. I am British myself and working in a high star hotel and trying to satisfy the British is hard work.

From this please ignore them and make sure you book this resort as your next destination. I promise you, you will feel relaxed, pampered and realise life will not get better than this.

On a last note i would like to thank all the staff during my stay. You are a credit to Sol Cayo Guillermo resort, your profession and country.

One final thanks to the GM Luis Alberto Heras. This is why you are a General Manager. Congratulations.

Steve and Lora.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (547)
  • Polish first
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I have just returned from a one week stay at this hotel. It was my 3rd time there and it just gets better each time. What I particularly enjoy about this resort is its size... smaller which makes it much more quiet. I was in room 228, a bit further away from the pool and other activities, and I felt really secure.

My room
It was clean and had basic ammenities. I had a few glitches (breaker would jump and the AC also leaked) but they were quickly attended to so no worries. If you are expecting a room like you'd get at the Hilton, then you're at the wrong place. So many people have said it before me, it's Cuba... don't expect luxury. The rooms are comfortable.

We were at the main dining room for breakfast and dinner, and were always happy with the selection we had. I never ate so many eggs in my life, but that was my choice, and not the lack of other food selection. Tables were always ready and the personnel only wants to help you and make you feel special. Worthy to mention is the banana flambé made at dinner time - try it and you'll be addicted!

We also had an a la carte dinner at the Don Guillermo and it was excellent. Lunchs were taken at the Ranchon or at the barbacoa, and we always had a nice selection of salads or your could make your own with different dressings. The hamburgers I suspect are made with porc and not beef, so we made real sure that they stayed a bit longer on the bbq.

The beach
one word - AMAZING! lots of white sand and you could walk miles and miles. The water is crystal clear. Make a point of going to Pilar, you won't regret it.

Other
If you wish to see a bit more of Cuba, I suggest a visit to the closest city, Moron. we took this excursion and were not disappointed. Be careful though because obviously the guide will bring you to visit tourists traps, so I suggest that you actually go into a typical cuban store where you can buy things are much cheaper prices. For instance, you can buy coffee for 7 CUC although you would pay 14 CUC at the hotel!

Minor irritants
I was told twice that since I was a repeat guest, I wouldn't have to pay for the safety deposit box. At the end of my stay, I was then told that I had to pay. Not that it's a big amount, but knowing that even before you start your vacation, you had to set aside 12 CUC for this, as well as 25 CUC for the airport tax, well that increases the price of your vacation. It also made me upset because the staff came back on their word.

My friend and I had also asked to have rooms next to one another, which we didn't end up getting. On the evening we arrived, the computer system was down and we were not able to get our room card until the next day at lunch time... a bit of an inconvenient. There should be a back up system.

In summary, would I go back? yes, absolutely. It's the perfect get away to rest and enjoy the great weather, the wonderful staff who are always smiling and trying to make your stay memorable. One last thing, make sure you bring insect repellent! I was so bitten that I looked like I had had the chicken pox.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

i went to this hotel back in sept ,i met the most amazing people who definetly made my trip memorable,DAVE & IRENE, KATHERINE & ANDY, ANNIE .. many more,my room was clean( no bugs) my balcony door didnt lock but was not a problem,food not bad ,visit the hut down the beach AWESOME lobster,going back Dec 2-9 with my daughter,and dave & irene,looking forward to it,Give this hotel a try ,you will be pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: if your looking for quiet you want to be in the 2-5 area ,near the beach bar and disco and main area...
West Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

So, this was our 14th visit to the SCG, and was so looking forward to seeing all our great friends amongst the staff, and to meeting the new manager Luis Alberto. As usual and as everyone else mentions, the staff didn’t disappoint. But from our view, knowing the standards the Hotel CAN run at, we were left a little disappointed on this occasion. We have never had SO many invitations whilst on holiday, invitation to the Return Guest’s dinner, invitation to Leavers for a cocktail, invitation to meet with the manager, invitation to a Mexican meal, invitation to Mediterranean meal. Now the UK holiday maker’s option to reserve a table on a particular night for whatever reason in the International a la carte and Ranchon beach side restaurant has been take away to invitation only. Whilst we’re on holiday, we want to do what we want when we want.
We took up two invites, one to the repeat guests dinner in the Ranchon restaurant, and the other to meet with the Manager. The dinner evening came in well under expectation with no choice of dishes from a menu, just whatever was served to your table. I must compliment the entertainment, two ladies playing a selection of traditional Cuban and International songs on electronic keyboard and flute throughout the meal. The other was an official invite to meet with the Manager at 10.40am, the purpose of which I assume was to have a chat about how we were finding the hotel and it's services. We left the beach and arrived in the lobby for our meeting at 10.35, by 11.05 we had had enough of waiting in the heat of the non air conditioned lobby and told the lady on the Customer Services desk that if the Manager wanted to meet with us some other time, just let us know, obviously, he didn't.
The main buffet restaurant again was closed at lunch time and we were all herded into the Ranchon beachside restaurant, not at all conducive to a relaxing civilised lunch, bellies and bums straight from the beach hanging out all over the place, not least at the food servery stations, cigarette smokers still sat at tables blowing their smoke out whilst others are eating, scavenging blackbirds pecking at leftovers and displayed food and a dreadful selection of food to choose from. OK, so it IS low season, but I still fail to see why the people who choose to patronise this hotel at this time of year should be given sub standard service with a "take it or leave it" attitude. Another thing that still concerns me and others I have spoken to, is the questionable quality of the alcohol that comes out of "quality branded" bottles at the bars. Again, as another reviewer has commented, draw your own conclusions???
One thing that can be relied on is a great experience all through the day and evening at the el Cubanito (Rum Bar) when Carlos is your host, he always has a nicely decorate bar with flowers, a selection of sliced fruit to nibble and a decent selection of drinks. He will happily have a laugh with you and is equally happy just to converse, although this, the most popular bar and meeting place for old and new friends, is still, by order of "da management" closed at 10.30. Where else in the world does a bar close at 10.30? most have just opened and getting up and running .
Other members of the hotel staff that will defiantly make your stay enjoyable and are only too happy to serve you are, to name but a few, first and foremost, Yaimi and all the guys and gals in Reception, Carlos Cruz, Joni, Yamilla,Yamilla, Elizabeth, Rudolpho and the team at the Main Bar, they will all serve you with a smile and accommodate your request for whatever cocktail. the quality may not be what you expect, but they can only work with the ingredients they are given. Then there are Roberto, Anna, Rolando and Maria, waiting staff in the restaurants and Leo and Alex, great chefs, again they can only work with the "tools" they are given. We always seem to have the same maid, Iray, she is a lovely lady and always leaves the room spic and span. The Thomas Cook in resort Reps, Ivan and Hector, again, really conscientious guys, they both did all they could throughout the two weeks to resolve our problem with Thomas Cook Airlines double booking our "your seat your choice" and as usual, still not heard anything from the airline.
So, even after all that, we are returning in January, the place has a really special place in our hearts, and the Manager assures all that there will be a big improvement in January. Better food selection? better quality spirit alcohol? and better bar opening times? We will see. Believe me, this has really pained me having to convey some of these negative comments, but sometimes things do need to be said or else I just get to feeling that we are all being taken for cynical ride. By the way, the weather was perfect!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Kitchener
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

This was my first visit to Cuba. I stayed at the Sol Guillermo through West Jet vacations with my husband. The resort was quite nice, there were two decent sized pools and a fair bit of beach. The food kind of sucked, but we found the whole experience pretty relaxing.

Rooms
The rooms were very clean - we changed rooms after the first night as we wanted one with a King bed. The hotel was happy to switch rooms for us once they had one available. The place is clearly a little older, but very clean.

Staff
The staff were amazingly friendly and we got to know several of them fairly well. Everyone was always willing to stop and chat with you. Making friends of the staff there was very easy. Everyone told us stories about their families and took a few minutes to talk with us. Even when you didn't tip, the bar and dinning staff were courteous and helpful.

Food/Drink
The food wasn't great (but that's Cuba I hear) but we found the best bet was visiting one of the people who was making custom food regularly, ensuring they give you little extras. The drinks were fine - strong - and served in plastic cups by the pool when it was open, otherwise served in glassware.

Beach
The beach was cleaned every morning, so there wasn't a lot of debris, and there were lots of huts with chairs to choose from. The beach is very shallow for a long way out. There were also paddle boats and plastic kayaks to take out.The water has a distinct fishy smell so that anything you wear there really smells. It is good to have separate swimsuits for the beach vs pool/hanging around. The beach also had a serious problem with sand fleas, so if you go, bring afterbite or benadryl.

Pools
The pools are very shallow, but okay for just floating around in. There were lots of little shady spots to hide out in if you had too much sun. They are all in one big central area, so it is kind of like having just one pool.

Entertainment
The daily entertainment events weren't particularly interesting, but the evening shows were fun. The dancers clearly put a lot of effort into their shows. It was off season, so the resort wasn't super full. No one really went to the disco, they just hung out at the bar all night. We played a lot of ping pong, there was also a pool table and foozball, but they were pretty beat-up.

Resort
The resort itself is on an island only reachable by causeway, so if you plan to go into town, you will have to take a long drive and pass a security checkpoint. Not the most ideal for taking your own day trips.

The resort has a little shop where you can buy things like sunscreen and year-old pringles at ridiculous prices, but if you're in a pinch - it probably has what you need.

It rained when we were there and it was no problem - lots of shelter in the bar/entertainment area. It never rained for very long though - no more than an hour at a time.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have less mosquitos. Rooms in the 500, 600 block are closest to the main a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
kent uk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

The three of us stayed here for two weeks from the 20th Sept and was booked through Thomas Cook we were to say the least very disappointed with the general low standard of the hotel.
The first week we were there,the restaurant was a shambles, on entering you found the tables unset with cutlery and the service very slow then you faced the problem of no plates then when you did aquire a plate (normally chipped ) you then had to find something that was even remotely edible this was a regular nightly chore and as far as the manager is concerned its Cuba and thats the way it is.
The beach bar and the pool bar roofs leaked like a sieve when it rained rendering 30% of both bars unusable, they were serving drinks at the start of our holiday in small plastic glasses again supposedly due to them not having decent glassware which especially in the evening was awful but then the drinks themselves had the unusual effect you had not drunk any alcohol at all I will leave you to draw your own conclusion from this.
The general condition of the hotel is poor with peeling paintwork and cracked rendering being the order of the day, chairs are either plastic wicker or just plain plastic and the general state/comfort of the furnishings is also poor.
The staff although very courtious and generally smiling on the whole acheive very little, as they appear to be rudderless and lack leadership.
The real tragedy is this hotel could with the right manager and investment and will be a gem as the beach is very good.
I believe Thomas Cook needs to carry out an in depth review of this hotel as in its present state it should not be offered to UK holday makers especially with its current 4* rating.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where the aircon works properly
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I have been going to sol cayo Guillermo for many years and each time I am amazed with the beauty of this place. It is a small hotel, the staff are amazing always there to make your holiday a perfect experience. I am planning another trip there even if I was there not to long ago but this time I will be going back with a lot of repeat friends. This is one amazing thing about this place everyone you meet vacationers or staff you form a life time friendship, where else this happens. I always feel that I am going back home. Again it is an amazing place, beach, ocean, the people working there and the repeat customer are all nice.

Room Tip: All the rooms have close access to the beach
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to Sol Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!