“Second time there and look forward to a third!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Daiquiri

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Guillermo
Iberostar Daiquiri
You added Iberostar Daiquiri to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jardines del Rey, 65100, Cuba   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Halton Hills, Canada
“Second time there and look forward to a third!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

I've been back from Iberostar Daiquiri for more than a month now and I'm still going through withdrawal! What a great place! It was our second time there and we are already looking forward to a third visit.

We have two small children (4 and 6) and this resort is PERFECT for them! The ocean is not rough or deep so we can lounge while we watch the kids play in the water. The pool too is designed in such a way that makes it easy to watch the young ones play in the water while enjoying a cold drink by the pool. Very relaxing for us and fun for our kids.

When I want to be active, there is plenty to do. I play water-polo, water-volleyball, beach volleyball, water-Olympics, snorkel, archery (at the shooting range). In two trips (2 weeks each) I still haven't done everything that I wanted to do.

There is one activity that we do as a family that is very fun. We get a paddle boat then paddle out to the blue strip of ocean. It seems far, and I guess it is, but the water is only three or four feet deep! We all jump out and swim in the clear-blue water. It is so nice out there. Sometimes my son and I snorkel, sometimes my wife and daughter just swim around. To be safe, we do keep the life jackets on our kids while they swim but the water is shallow.

Snorkeling isn't bad there either. You'll see starfish and conch. I've only ever seen one urchin in my four weeks there. If you would like to see lots of fish, just walk over to the pier and snorkel around that. Lots of nice fish to see there! There's also snorkeling tours that I do recommend to see more.

There are some activities that you can pay for, if you wish. I would definitely suggest the flying boat. What a blast!!!! Also, the banana boat is fun too! The driver flips you on purpose. Very fun. Actually, I met some really nice people on there (fellow Canadians). We worked together really well, the driver couldn't flip us!

With regards to the food, we really enjoy the main buffet. We actually prefer that over the 'a la carte' restaurants. It can get a bit repetitive but we never go hungry and we are always happy with what we had to eat. Besides the regular buffet items, there is a fresh meat counter that changes everyday. Some days they will have turkey, some days they have roast beef, some days lobster, etc. It changes every day. There are days where I just want pasta and they have a great fresh pasta counter!

One of my favourite features of this resort is the music. There is always music playing somewhere. Even during dinner, there is a live band that plays while you eat. They are fantastic and I look forward to hearing them every night!

The rooms are a little tired but they are cool and clean. I didn't have any problems that the staff couldn't rectify quickly.

Most importantly, the staff at this resort are fantastic!!!! The first time that we came here, our youngest (16 months at the time) was a little difficult. Everywhere that we went, the staff was very fast to help and entertain our little one. They really love kids there and they really helped us have a great experience there.

Overall, the staff there are very attentive even if you don't tip. We don't usually start tipping until the end of our trip so we get a good idea of who we really like.

This is our 12th trip to a resort and this is still our favourite resort. I can't wait to return!

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me!

Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

We were at the Iberostar Daiquiri from June 26 to July 3 , two adults ( over 50 ) , this was our 3th trip to Cuba - the 2 first ones in different locations.
Food - we did find something to eat at all meals - some better than others.But we are not burger or hot dog people .Had plenty of vegetables and fruits . We went to all of the 3 a la cartes, the Mexican was the worst , the Italian has possibilties, but the surrounding area had not been bug-bombed and as soon as the sun started to set and our main course was served, the mosquito's came out in full force and we got eaten alive ! This is an open air restaurant, by the main pool and we were literally driven out of the area without eating all our meal. The Cuban was only ok , bad bad service .... The Buffet was where we did eat most of the time, staff was friendly,talking about Rosa and Lazaro ! very nice people ! and Carlos too .
Room : was cleaned everyday and towels & sheets changed ours was in the Holguin bulding on the 3 rd floor room number 3340 .Beautiful view to the ocean
Bars : we had a good time watching the soccer games on the TV! .
Excursions - we didn't go on any, have no comment ... just took a cab to Pilar , and the beach was so beautiful.
Overall,nothing special .
Feel free to ask us questions about our stay
Can also say the Laguna Azul ( Varadero ) is so much better

South wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

the hotel was really nice, the staff are really freindly and helpful, beautiful beach, food was good and entertainment every night. would defientley go again and recommend this hotel.

staffordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

holiday was from 17/06/2010 to 01/07/2010, check was speedy and the porter brought our cases over to our room, we stayed in the quatalavca part of the cpmplex and were on the 2nd floor and had a beautifull sea view. the room was spacious, 2 beds very comfortable, large wardrobe, balcony, fridge and tv, the room was clean and tidy and we had a bottle of champagne on arrival from our maid to welcome us. the bathroom was also spacious with shower and a haidryer , this was a bit basic but kept us clean. the food was excellent and the service was great, we tried the cuban and italian speciality restaurants and i can definately recommend them. the hotel has everything you could need, close to the sea with a great beach, the sea does not come over your waist so if you arent a strong swimmer you will always feel confident as you can always see and feel the bottom, also lots of different fish to swim with as well as the occasional crab. we took 2 excursions, we went on the jeep trip which was tiring but good, we saw the town of moron, went to a crocodile farm and went to a nature reseve our guide raoul was excellent and answered all of our questions, we also did a 2 day trip to trinidad, this was really great, again tiring but well worth it, we saw the town of trinidad on day one and then went to our hotel in the mountains and enjoyed a great meal and beautiful surroundings, day 2 we wnt into the jungle and swam in the waterfalls a really great experience if a little cold, andres our guide was brilliant and took us to the best pinacolada bar, so good that on the way back we made him take us there again. overall i had a great time on this holiday my only complaint is that the beds were not changed as much as i would like as they were only changed twice during the whole fortnight. my top tips are: go to the bank that is on the resort as you get a better exchange rate, take the tractor train and visit pillar beach as it is one of the top 5 in the caribean and detinately worth a visit, train price 5 cuc per person return trip and take a thermos mug to get filled with your beverage and finally have fun and enjoy the people and the beauty.

Hamilton, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

I stayed at this resort with my mom from June 19 to the 26th. I was kinda od nervous going here after I saw some negative reviews but from the moment we checked in to the moment we checked out everything was amazing. We traveled with westjet vacations and they were very helpful telling you everything you needed to know. The staff is overwelmingly friendly, they also want to help you in anyway you needed. The food was also really good, Hector makes the best pasta and Lorenzo is the best waiter ive ever seen. The beaches were beautiful and very relaxing. The rooms were what you expect from a carribean resort but they still were very nice our maid Inail was so sweet and always came up with some design to make out of our covers as well as making a towel dove in our sink every morning. The only thing I would suggest is to buy most of your souvenirs at the airport because the shop prices are more expensive.

I will definately be going back next year!

• Stayed June 2010
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

We stayed at the Iberostar Daiquiri from the 19th to the 26th of June. We arrived there around 4 pm and were immediately checked into our rooms without much hassle. The rooms appeared clean at first although one of the beds had some dirty spots on the white covers. Our room smelled of sulfur throughout our stay and I would really suggest that you switch rooms immediately if you have one of these because it gets very annoying after a while. We gave our maid five pesos immediately hoping for better service although we were sadly disappointed. We didn't expect to get any crazy designs with our towels (which we didn't get) but we drew the line at dirty towels. On the second last day one of our stay, we noticed that our "clean" bidet towels actually had feces stained marks on it!!! Other than that we had no other problems with our room and our hairdryer even worked (after figuring out how to press the buttons strategically)

Moving on to the food. Honestly, for a four star hotel the food was pretty good. There was always variety in the buffet: pastas, pizza, chicken, beef, seafood etc. Although there was no variety in sweets, all the cakes had the same content and were just different in colouring. The breakfast selection was always the same but none the less good (I suggest trying one of their fruit milkshakes in the mornings). We tended to avoid the restaurant on the beach that had many flies and even a cat walking around. We preferred the buffet and the pool restaurant that would serve hamburgers and hotdogs after 4. Something we noticed was that the waitresses (in the buffet) were not helpful if they thought they weren't going to get a tip. One night my boyfriend had to get us our drinks because the waitress forgot about us and when she noticed him coming back with our drinks, she stopped serving us completely (thinking she would get no tip). We ended up having our table filled with dirty plates until the food manager walked by and noticed. I suggest you leave your peso on the table where they can see it while they are serving you, so as to ensure good service.

The beach is beautiful, very warm and clear and there are little fish that swim around you constantly. I suggest bringing a banana into the water and watching them nibble at it. You can also walk to the beaches of other resorts, including the Melia. The pool was equally warm and a nice entertaining spot. The swim up bar was a popular hangout for most people and there was often activities going around this area. The hotel gave us each an extra towel but it was also very hard to switch towels as they were always lacking when we would come over. Towels should be changed around 1 pm because that is usually when they arrive.

The staff was very friendly, the star friends tried to include you in all the activities but at the same time some activities (such as bingo in the afternoon) seemed fairly rushed. Don't forget to get them a beer once in a while (even if you do, they'll be sure to remind you that they would like one from time to time). The staff around the resort was also very friendly, the cleaners worked hard and long hours and it was a pleasure giving them some food and even tipping them from time to time. The nightly entertainers (the star friends) were great performers. We enjoyed the shows in the evening very much although after the show the disco got pretty empty and there were no "late night parties"

Finally, we did the catamaran excursion which included visiting two snorkel sites, Pilar beach and having a lobster, chicken and shrimp lunch. This excursion was beautiful and we would recommend it to others.

As for the Canadians that were causing havoc in the resort, this has nothing to do with the resort itself and we found that the hotel management did a great job in handling the situation and kicking them out.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Jarvis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

I travelled to this resort with my daughter. We wanted somewhere that we could relax. This resort was the best, the people here are so friendly, The food was excellent,
I loved the shows that Iberostar stars put on at night! Beautiful beach, best time to go if you want to swim is in the morning or in the late afternoon as the tide is out around 12:00pm to 4pm. but it is still very nice at the beach. There is so much to do here. Also there is a disco if you want to dance. Very nice
I just want to say all in all we definetly will be back next year.
Excellent!

• Stayed June 2010

Been to Iberostar Daiquiri? Share your experiences!