“Will be returning in April 2014!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Daiquiri

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cayo Guillermo
Iberostar Daiquiri
You added Iberostar Daiquiri to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jardines del Rey, 65100, Cuba   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Halifax Nova Scotia, Canada
“Will be returning in April 2014!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

This was a last minute decision for my husband and I. I have visited Cuba 18 times, 5 times to the Iberostar Daiquiri. It was wonderful. Our room was great, ocean view, which I requested in advance. The AC was quiet and very efficient. The staff, as always, were very attentive. Beach, what can I say.....fantastic. The house band are authentic Cuban, which I love. They also did a couple of evening of dueling bands, with the house band playing one number, followed by a great ladies group. You could not have asked for better entertainment. The Star Friends work so hard all day, and then give you their all for the evening show.

The previous review said they only saw spraying on a couple of occasions. They must have been sleeping, because we witnessed two spraying per day for the first few days, then, with the strong breeze, we did not see a need for spraying later in the week. We're lucky, I guess, because the bugs did not seem to like us too much. I brought bug spray, but never used it. I got a few bites, probably from sand critters, but they didn't bother me or spoil my holiday in any way.

Thank you, Iberostar........see you in April for more fun and dancing!

Cathy and Stu

Room Tip: We had room 4347 (3rd floor) in the Varadero building - ocean view, very nice.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at Iberostar Daiquiri, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Bennie r,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write this positive comments reference your experience in your recent stay in our Iberostar Daiquiri hotel; our pleasure to reed you have enjoyed a good holiday with this reconfirm Dic. 2013 were a good time here. Iberostar aims to provide to our beloved guests an excellent service so they can “enjoy being a Star”. We are glad to read that we accomplished our goal with you during your stay among us..

We hope to see you again soon

Best regard,
The Hotel manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Polish first
London, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

After weeks of keeping myself informed by reading the reviews on this site as they came through, I am finally able to extend my own review of this resort. We arrived on December 1 and stayed for 7 days. There were 5 adults in my group.

The room that was first given was not in 4 star quality more like a 2 star. The AC didn't work nor did the fridge which surprised me as you would think that after other guests complain of the same things that they would take care of the issue so it is not a continuance each and every time someone goes into that room. The second room was not the greatest either but we settled as the view was pretty.

The food was okay as we did not go hungry but it was definitely repetitive to say the least. Again if people are complaining about it perhaps you should actually take their advice and switch it up a bit. I know it is Cuba and all but seriously you need to widen the variety that you offer on your buffet's. The a la cartes were nothing to right home about either. But if I had to choose which was the better of the 3 it would be the Mexican.

The bugs oh my goodness the bites are unbelievable. The noseeums were out night and day at this resort and for all the bug spray we used nothing seemed to stop them. You can actually feel them biting you. I only saw them fumigate twice during my 7 day stay. I am still healing from all the bites. There was another couple who landed the same time as my group and the woman had been bitten so many times and got a reaction to the bites she had to see the doctor on call at a high expense and was given a needle in the butt along with antihistamine and lotion which she had to apply for her entire trip. Not a pleasant vacation for them.

The beach is beautiful and the pool well you get wet so it was good enough I suppose. I would hate to this resort at full capacity as they struggled with the 300 guests as it was. This resort is still under renovations and as far as I can see will be for another year or so.

The shows were at times not meant for young eyes as it was more of an adult entertainment type of show than something of the arts. WAS NOT IMPRESSED WITH THE LACK OF TASTE IN THE SHOW'S. They need to be toned down to allow the children to enjoy as well.

The other guests were shall I say overwhelming as they outnumbered the English Canadian speaking guests. They were rude and ignorant but I am told that is how they are and that the workers favor them.

We booked a few of the excursions and was not happy with the woman that booked them for us. We did the Moron tour which is an all day trip and then arranged for my husband and his friend to do the Jeep Safari which is a joke in itself as it isn't even in a jeep but yet a kia and they did the exact same thing as we had done on the Moron tour instead of being on a bus they were in a car. No off roading or anything different. They make sure they take you to places for you to spend more money as well. That too was a joke it's all about the money and you spending it when and where they want you to. After discussing this with the agent who sold us the excursions she pretty much said that there are no refunds. So be cautious as to which excursions you really want to do as they are repetitive.

I myself will never return to this resort it is not up to 4 star quality despite the reno's that are being done I still couldn't imagine them making the changes to that really need to be done to make it worth returning. Save your money or spend the extra and go somewhere else. I know there will be a response from the hotel saying they are sorry but I don't believe it for a second as I stated at the beginning that I was reading all the reviews that came through and nothing had changed from what others had reported so I am going to assume the same from my review.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else is the only tip I can give.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
DEAR SANDYC,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to send us your comments on your opinion of your stay in our hotel Iberostar daiquiri; all comments contribute alert to take action in the aspect that influence the customer. How we can understand the hotel didn’t met your expectations Sporting limited, we are really so sorry about it.

For as are very important all feedback of clients stayed, we considerate each comment for improve our services for that reason we read and answer all comment written on Tripadvisor or other means of review.

We understand your disappoint as a result your experience but we Disprove you comment regarding the general appearance of the hotel just read other guests to know that is not entirely so, all service are ofert in the hotel brochere are includeted, any way thank for the contributing we this review

Regard,
Caledon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

We visited in November,I dont expect much in Cuba beside nice beach,but actually the rooms were quite pleasant ,,washrooms renovated,sadly no balconies and tough not Mayan Riviera luxuries ,food was good ,bars were welcoming and service all very nice and helpful.Bugs are present and even spray did not stop them

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kieadye

On behalf of all the hotel staff and particularly the manager, we would like to thank you for continue choosing the Iberostar Daiquiri hotel for your holidays in Cuba. Is a pleasure for us to know this time was a greet Vacation again. Iberostar aims to provide to our beloved guests an excellent service so they can “enjoy being a Star”. We are glad to read that we accomplished our goal with you during your stay among us. .

Sorry did not receive your gift for repeat customers. Hope in a future reward check. We have taken actions to improve that.

Thanks for the nice comments on the treatment received by our staff; I will inform you’re your comments about it.

We look forward to have you stay again in our hotel.

Best Regard,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

We travelled Nov 13-20th. Went with other friends 13 in all. Overall experience was very good. The weather was not so great with rain the first couple of days, but that can't be helped so we were in the lobby talking, drinking, and more drinking lol. The entertainment staff does an amazing job of keeping you busy with activities. When the skies clear its out to the pool. Hear ppl saying the pool is small, but how big does a few need, plenty for us two. The beach, you can walk it, play on it, or just lay on it, swim in the ocean...perfect. Now the food not a big selection this time, but since the hotel is under reno, staff is cut. And the staff that is working always amazing, Rosa, Hector, Carrillo, Evelyn to name a few. The food I did eat was good, I did not starve. Now for the entertainment staff, one of the reasons we come back so often. One day Mario..wink wink, spent the morning in the pool playing with the kids and keeping them busy
so we could relax. Lots of games by the pool, bingo later and dance lessons. Even with few guest the show still goes on at night, and they work very hard to put those shows on. I will not name them all, but love and miss you all :)
Now my complaints, we are returning guests and did not get a bottle of rum ;( and when asked nothing was done. The management really disappointed me, They are the ones that should listen and correct the problems. The people below them do there job,and a top notch job to make us feel comfortable they can too. The room are under reno so I will not comment on them and I generally just sleep and change there. Now would I go back....Yes!! For the dancers, bartenders, waiters, and even the gardeners. They are the ppl that make this hotel one of my best. Management can learn from their staff.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at Iberostar Daiquiri, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Dear Ideadye

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager thank you very much for continue choice Iberostar Daiquiri hotel destination place for you holyday, I so happy to read this positive evaluation about your recent experience. It motivates us to continue improving to have provided a excellent services your high evaluation, how you say that can be possible for the grade job made the staff.

We will congratulate all the personal special mention to Rosa, Hector, Carrillo, Evelyn and Mario they have contributed to making you feel like stars.

Regard

Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

The location of this resort is exceptional. The dolphin encounter is only 5 minutes away, marina where you can go deep sea fishing is also only 5 minutes away. One of the 10 most beautiful beaches in the world is only 8 km away and you can take a bus there from this resort. The beach is very nice, water is shallow so you can go out a long way. This is a popular location for kite surfers so you can watch them right off the beach. This resort is very pretty with lots of tropical foliage. The food is decent if not exceptional and there are lots of options. They do a very decent job with the pasta station and Cuban breads are second to none and are fresh daily. There seemed to be a shortage of staff so the service was not really good but would commend the staff that is there. They are very friendly and helpful and work very hard. If you are going to stay here the most important thing for you to remember to bring is BUG SPRAY (30% Deet) and antihistimines. I was bitten very badly the first night by something like a very small noseeum and they swell and itch like crazy. If you are vigilant with the bug spray they should leave you alone. Take antihistimines if you do get bit you will be more comfortable, if not you won't even be able to sleep for the itching. I met many other guests who had also been bitten and suffered the same symptoms. Not everyone gets bothered by the bugs but I would not take the chance if I were you. Over all this is a pleasant place to vacation and is good value for your vacation dollars.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

Dear DeeandRendell

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for taking the time to write this positive review on the TripAdvisor about your opinion of your holiday thank for the good evaluation of this recent stay at the Iberostar Daiquiri. Iberostar aims to provide to our beloved guests an excellent service so they can “enjoy being a Star”. We are glad to read that we accomplished our goal with you during your stay among us.

We are looking forward to welcome you back.

Regard,
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

Travelled mid to late November with small children.

The positives:

1. Great weather even in off-season. Forecast said rain and clouds but if it rained, it was only for minutes per day then sunshine and beautiful weather. Lots of breeze so we were never sweltering hot but at times I found it too windy by the beach.

2. People and Staff were friendly. We always felt safe. The star friends were nice and tried to get people involved but I've been to other resorts in other countries whose entertainers were more animated, involved and made you feel extra special. Even on the bus ride there and back, we stopped by Memories in Cayo Coco and there was music and an entire team to greet/say goodbye to the guests arriving/leaving with dancing and even a mascot. It was much more low key (if anything) at the Daiquiri but that wasn't too important to me.

3. People complained that the rooms were run down but I stayed in the main building and the rooms were completely functional and acceptable. There was no beer in the fridge but water and two sodas every two days and that was more than enough for us as we were rarely in the room and drank the filtered water at the restaurants and bars. The room was cleaned everyday and towels were changed when needed. But see my room tip below.

4. The pool was clean and nice. It was during low season and half the hotel was empty so we got the pool to ourselves most of the time. There's a kiddie pool that goes below your knees and it was perfect for the little ones to play on their own there.

The Negatives:

1. The food. Yes, there were lots of selection but it was repetitive day after day and all of it was just not seasoned or tasty. A big part of vacation for me is about food so this one was the one major upset of the trip. The mexican restaurant was the best of all the food there and breakfast buffet was good too. Skip the Cuban and Italian.

2. The bites. I didn't get that many but the little that I got was itchy. And others had it worst than me.

3. The beach had beautiful white sand but there wasn't much beach at high tide and there was always seaweed around. And it can get a bit too windy down there. Pilar was a nice day trip but again, don't go during high tide.

Overall, a good trip and the hotel and management was up to 4 star quality. Only real complaint was food but others are not as picky so I'd recommend this place.

Room Tip: Staying in the main building was great for close access to everything ('cept the beach) but if y...
Dear OttFamilyVacationer

On behalf of the manager of the Iberostar daiquiri hotel, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel destination for you recent holiday in Cuba, pleasure for us to know about that were a good family vacation; finding people and staff were friendly. I will look with the chef the suggestions regarding the variety food optional in the buffet; Iberostar aims to provide to our beloved guests an excellent service so they can “enjoy being a Star”. We are glad to read that we accomplished our goal with you during your stay among us.

We hope to be able to offer you our hospitality again at our hotel.

Best regard,
Mississauga, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

When we got our room no air , crap on the walls so we did get move to a nother room this time the fridge smelled like fish no face cloths I bottle of water for 3 ppl not going to get into it really only more concerned abut the bites that started to come out after we got home just as saskatoonbanker said been home now 5 days an still going nuts with these bites dr said something my daughter an I came in contact with well my 9 year old granddaughter is full of them too from some kind of bug.... just read what Saskatoonbanker said an he showed photos we got them too, would I go back no way clean up the beach oh yes what beach an the rest of the resort....

Dear Featherbet158

On behalf of the management of Iberostar Daiquiri I would like to apologize for the idea you took back home regarding our resort. We really sorry the hotel didn't meet your expectations on this vacation. Your feedback and comments will be taken very considered by the hotel manager in proof don’t happen again other guest. .

Hotel Manager

Been to Iberostar Daiquiri? Share your experiences!