“Busy Being Fabulous” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 18 Restaurants in Speightstown
Cuisines: Caribbean, French, Thai
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Jumas is an ocean front restaurant in Speightstown, Barbados. It is open for lunch from 12pm every day, through to 6pm, and open for dinner from 6pm. All tables have a sea view.The cuisine is eclectic and features Thai, Bajan and Classic French dishes.
Barbados
“Busy Being Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

From the outside Jumas is not the most attractive building but make your way upstairs and its a very different story. It has an outstanding location right on the beach and is really beautifully furnished and decorated. Although we didn't have a reservation and the place was busy they found us an ocean front table within a few minutes of our arrival and brought a high chair for the baby within seconds.
The owner and staff were extremely good and looked after us very well, topping our wine and water up when needed but without being intrusive or pushy. The food was absolutely wonderful - I had the coquilles st Jacques followed by the huge baked lobster tail and rounded off with white chocolate crème brulee. The rest of the party had catch of the day - lovely fresh mahi mahi with excellent chips and salad and we had a couple of bottles of their excellent hunter's sauvignon blanc.
We all agreed that it was one of the best meals we have ever had and to top it off they were playing The Eagles - simply wonderful.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jumas_management, Owner at Jumas Restaurant, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review Juma's. We greatly appreciate it and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Wigan, United Kingdom
“First visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Juma,run a service that picks you up from your villa/ hotel which is wonderful. The owner was very pleasant and we had cocktails which were really good. We ordered our food, starters were good, our main course had a problem my husband ordered lobster and after 45 mins the allocated time there was a problem with the lobster the owner asked if we wanted to change our choice but we said no, so we had another 45 minutes to wait by which time we were very hungry. The lobster tale was excellent, my choice was fine nothing special. Presentation of the food could have been better for the price. Waitresses were near but we had to pour our own wine, which my husband mentioned to the owner at the end. If it was my restaurant and this had happened I would have offered a drink of some kind at the end,apologies were okay but you need to go further if you are competing with other restaurants in St James.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Jumas_management, Owner at Jumas Restaurant, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. When any guest orders a lobster tail I inform them that there is a forty five minute wait for it to be prepared and cooked. When your husband's lobster came out of the oven it did not look right and the chef was not prepared to serve it. I informed you of this immediately and offered the option of an alternative main course but your husband commented that he was in no hurry and would wait for another lobster. After your main course was served I checked if everything was satisfactory for you and you replied that it was 'well worth the wait'.
After you had paid your bill your husband told me that he had two points to make: One was that we had added the service charge after the VAT. I explained that this was not the case as we do not charge VAT, and two that the waitress had not poured your wine. I apologised for this even though I was aware that when the waitress went to pour your wine you told her not to do so and that you preferred to do it yourself, an option which she naturally respected.
Milford on Sea, United Kingdom
“Great location, relaxing atmosphere, good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

The welcome was much more friendly than when we visited last as Mango's restaurant.
The new (since we last visited) owner is there to meet you and take your order and then service is by his friendly and efficient staff.
The menu is not huge but there is something for everyone with the style influenced by the owners wife, and chef, who is Bajan.
The food was flavoursome and nicely presented.
It is worth asking for a waterside table even if visiting at night.
The only downside is that the roof is mainly dried leaves and my friend and I wondered how many Mosquitos were harbouring there as we both left with more bites than we arrived with, however it could be that it was the same everywhere that night.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Jumas_management, Owner at Jumas Restaurant, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review Juma's and for your kind words.
I must point out that although our ceiling is made from dried palm leaves it does not harbour mosquitos as it is sprayed and cleaned regularly and mosquito bites are not a problem that our guests generally experience. Perhaps as you say it was the same everywhere that night.
Kent, England
“Great Location - not much more for me”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Found this place by accident when looking for somewhere to eat one evening. The location is great: open fronted first floor overlooking the sea (OK, it was dark but I could hear the waves!). Went downhill a bit from there, sadly.
Very slow taking the drinks order and even slower for the food order - and then we were told what was 'off' (of course, my husband's first choice was not available).
The food was very slow to arrive and I assumed that this was because my husband had asked for a well done steak. However, to suggest that my his steak was even medium, let alone well done would be a gross exaggeration. It was his choice not to complain - we had waited long enough if his had been taken away to be cooked more then I would likely have finished mine before his came back. I did, however, enjoy my barracuda very much. I felt the prices were a little high, in comparison to similar restaurants visited whilst on the island.
Like a previous reviewer, we had a bit of cat bother. I do like cats, but am careful not to encourage them in such situations. This one was quite persistent, however, and managed to pull down the serviette, along with the cutlery that was one it, whilst trying to check out what was on the table. The owner provided the explanation about stray and getting them caught and removed - but made no attempt to shoo this one away or remove it from his restaurant!!

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Jumas_management, Owner at Jumas Restaurant, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
I am sorry to hear that your experience was not a good one. The issue that we had with stray cats has been completely resolved as they were trapped and taken to the RSPCA earlier this week and we are now completely cat free. My shooing the cat away would have been pointless as it would have come back within seconds. We have done what we needed to be done and had it removed.
Once again I am sorry that your husband's steak was not cooked enough but had you let us know this then we could have easily cooked it more.
I hope that you will give us another try at some point as I am sure we can provide a positive experience for you.
Blackmore
“Underwhelmed !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Visited on 15 April as a party of 7 with a last minute booking having read the positive comments on Trip Advisor. We ordered 6 catch of the day and 1 other fish dish and waited about 40 minutes for the food to arrive. The restaurant was not busy so this seemed a little excessive but no one came over and said anything. The catch of the day was King fish and all 6 portions were dry making us feel they had been cooked and not served immediately. This was a shame as the flavour was good. When collecting the plates the owner sensed we were disappointed and we let him know. He did say we should have let them know immediately and they would have re cooked the order but given the time it had taken we were reluctant to do this although it was discussed among us when we were eating.
The restaurant setting is excellent and the staff friendly. The complimentary taxi home is a real bonus just a shame about the cooking. We hope it was an off day because as a venue it's worth a visit.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
I am sorry that we did not provide a good experience for you. I did ask you if everything was satisfactory for you when you had started eating and you replied that it was fine. It was only after you had finished your meals that you informed me that the fish was dry. We would have replaced your meals without question if you had let me know that you were not happy.
It is a little unfair of you to say that the restaurant wasn't busy. We have a capacity of fifty four people and served forty eight on the night you dined with us.
I hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again and provide you with the positive experience that we are capable of.