“Country House hotel by the sea!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay 7 nights, pay for 5
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Speightstown
manchester
“Country House hotel by the sea!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

This is the second time I have been lucky enough to visit Barbados, home of my ancestors, and what nicer place to stay than the Cobblers Cove. With excellent service from the friendly staff, superb food in the restaurant, lovely clean and airy bedrooms and the hotel being set within beautiful landscaped garden. This is an ideal location - peaceful and tranquil.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Barbados
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Gorgeous property, fantastic tropical gardens and beautiful grounds.
Overlooks a beautiful calm bay, feels like it all belongs to you!

Dinner at the Camelot was incredible, service was friendly and courteous and the food was incredible.

Many thanks to the chef and staff of the hotel and the Camelot for an overall amazing dining experience!

We will most definitely be coming back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

A really wonderful and relaxing hotel. Well where do I start with this great find of a hotel...Rooms are good and unpretentious; staff welcoming and helpful; gardens beautiful and really make the hotel; food is glorious and some of the best on the island; and it is tucked away at the quieter end of the west coast so good if you want to relax. There are of course many good hotels along this coastline but CC manage the fine balance between luxury and home comfort better than most - if you had a house in Barbados this is how you would want it to be. It is worth going for the half board as you won't be disappointed and hiring a car so you can get about. The hotel are great at organising trips, dinner reservations and you really do feel that everyone wants you to have the best time possible. There are great plans afoot to improve the hotel just hope the gardens are kept and the atmosphere remains untarnished. If you can, go in low season and get a room as close to the beach as possible. Highly recommended and of course we will be going back!

Room Tip: Close to the beach
United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We are fortunate to travel a lot and do love Barbados ( forgive me sounding like a knob. I don't mean to and for stating the obvious- I hear you - Big Head how can anyone not love Barbados ! ) but we were only fortunate enough to discover Cobbers Cove 3 years ago. I wish we had done it sooner and since then we have had 4 holidays there and have just booked our 5th to go back in November. The important message that I wanted to share with all you fellow tripadvisors is that the place is truly wonderful . It is in our experience uniquely wonderful and the most relaxing .the most comfortable ,the most restorative ,the most enjoyable and the best holiday that we could possibly wish for.
Why do we like it so much ?
Location location location : ticks all the boxes !. Beautiful sea front ,quite beach , excellent watersports and just a short walk up the beach to historic and colourful Speightstown with all the bars shops and restaurants that you could want.
Comfort and quality : Second to none. Cobblers Cove exudes old world charm and quality . It is like going back in time to standards of quality ,comfort and service that have long since been forgotten . The standards of service are truly outstanding and deserve special mention. The staff all seem to strike that perfect blend of warmth and friendliness while still remaining professional and courteous and nothing is too much trouble for Scarlette the hotel manager and her team. When we decided to go to the Holders Season festival Scarlette even managed to get us better seats than Sir Cliff Richard.
Food: The Cobblers Cove restaurant has just won an award for best restaurant on Barbados. It is well deserved . Trust me . Book a waterside table for dinner one night particularly if it is a night when they have live music on and I am certain that you will agree.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
WOakleyGM, General Manager at Cobblers Cove, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Thank you for the wonderful feedback which has been shared with the team at Cobblers Cove. I look forward to welcoming you back in November with Scarlette and having an opportunity to introduce myself.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Cobblers Cove is certainly a unique property. The main building is a charming pink colonial home surrounded by a lush garden, with four-unit buildings lining the garden. The rooms are large and clean. The whole experience seems geared towards relaxation - e.g., servers speak in low tones and only approach your poolside lounger at meal times or when signaled. There are no music or noises of any type at during the day except for the brush of the waves and the wind through the trees. All very relaxing...

The staff is very accommodating and friendly, even by Barbadian standards (service in Barbados is quite good in most places) and the general manager, Will, seems to interact with the guests daily. The hotel's restaurant is expensive, but I think most bookings include breakfast. The breakfast is incredibly tasty, and the breakfasts tables sit at the edge of the deck overlooking the ocean.

However, travelers should note a few things before booking:

(1) Room Issues. While the rooms are large, unique and somewhat stylish, most of the space in each room lacks air conditioning. The rooms are arranged to open onto a porch/patio using only shuttered doors that don't seal, so the living room and kitchenette area are 'open air.' We stayed there in early June and the living room and kitchenette were so consistently warm that we couldn't really use them much. The patio (where we could feel some breeze) or the bedroom (where the A/C unit is) were really the only spaces we could stay for very long. The bathroom also lacks A/C and was very warm. The shower is low (under 6 ft.) and doesn't have a curtain (just a small glass pane)

(2) There's not much of a beach. The main activity at Cobblers Cove is to lay on the pool deck facing the ocean. The chairs are comfortable and the view is wonderful, so this isn't really a downside for relaxation, unless you're intent on laying on the beach. The beach around Cobblers is a thin strip of sand leading to a buoyed swimming area where one can snorkel and see tropical fish around a small reef. Between the comfortable pool deck and the swimming area, we didn't miss the full beach at all, but the lack of beach is something to note.

(3) There is a dress code. At night, to eat at the restaurant or hang out in the bar/pool area, men are expected to wear trousers (no jeans or shorts) and an open collar shirt, and women are expected to wear a dress. Perhaps not the best approach to take for a beach hotel, especially when the restaurant and bar are outdoors in a warm country, but I respect this elegant touch. I just wish I knew about it before arriving. I only arrived with jeans and shorts (as many vacationers might) so I didn't go to the bar or restaurant at night. The restaurant is also expensive (noted below).

(4) Many aspects are expensive, thus note what is included in your booking price. It seemed that most bookings included breakfast at the restaurant, which was unequivocally fantastic. However, dinner and lunch were not included in our booking and were very pricey. For instance, the hotel offers a Tuesday night barbecue, which we planned to attend (I got a waiver to wear jeans from the front desk) but decided not to because we were told the cost was approximately $85 USD (175 Barbados Dollars) per person. Generally, nice restaurants in this area of Barbados tend to be pricey, but there are cheaper options if you're willing to walk or cab into Speightstown. Speightstown is walking distance from the hotel but walking back to the hotel in the dark at night is not really recommended. We typically walked to town for dinner and took a cab to return to the hotel.

(5) Most of the clientele is older and there to relax. If you want to hang out and socialize at the bar etc., this is probably not the place for you. It seems almost entirely focused on travelers who are vacationing to relax in quiet. E.g., the bar closes early, and again, you must wear trousers or a dress.

In sum, the property has a lot going for it - charming exteriors, friendly service, and an environment perfect for relaxation. But the rooms are lacking, it's pricey, and it can be difficult to find a casual meal and a drink at night time.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback and I have noted to advise guests there is a dress code in the evening. I hope I have an opportunity to welcome you back to Cobblers Cove.
lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

This place is truly special.

It is over 15 years since I was last at Cobblers Cove, which I really enjoyed.

Often when you revisit a hotel things are never as good, as it happens the hotel has been totally refurbished and it exceeded my expectations, being in the travel business I am often disappointed, but I was absolutely delighted with the total package in this hotel.

It is as described a country house hotel by the sea, the staff are charming and most helpful, led ably by the resident manager Scarlette Clarke.

Lovely rooms, beautiful gardens, excellent dinning and a very peaceful and relaxed atmosphere pervades throughout.

6 stars - need I say more?

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

...I really liked Will the manager, he is a great guy.
Sadly, this hotel seems to be riding on the reputation built by the previous owner/manager team.
Will is new, so he has a hill to climb. But having met him a few times while we were there I suspect is more than capable of doing what is necessary, I just hope he is given the mandate to do so.
I didn't think the food was very good in the restaurant, in view of the pricing it should have been 5* but was a poor offer.
I read a review online from a UK travel writer, an older lady, who had compared Sandy Lane and Cobblers Cove, she was far more flattering about CC than I can be so I must assume it was when Randy (now manager at Sandy Lane) was there.
We were bitten quite badly by mosquitoes, the property does have an issue and hasn't addressed it, so pack your lotions and potions.
The pool is nice, the sunbeds comfy and it is very relaxing - but then it is Barbados - but the terrace service is a bit variable; some days you get spoiled, other days ignored.
Some of the rooms are mid-refurb (May 2014) so ask for one that has been done, they are really much nicer than the older pre-refurb rooms.
The hotel team struggled to get some of the basics right. For instance, we emailed ahead to arrange a transfer from airport but their solution was dreadful. We weren't that happy with the cleanliness of the room, when we asked for it to be resolved housekeeping left the bathroom dirtier than they had found it. The Spa is not a Spa, it is a large shed which seems not to be used; my wife booked nails and waxing but the beauty therapist insisted her treatment would be done in our room.
Will I go back? Probably not, I think I'm still a bit young (I'm 50) and much too modern in my expectations to spend my hard earned money at CC. we love Barbados, don't get me wrong, but there are far better hotels and soon Sandals will arrive on the island to shake the tree and raise the bar, maybe we'll have a look at that.
Note: we had booked a week but got so tired of being bitten by mosquitoes we left early and spent the last few days at Sandy Lane instead.

Room Tip: The closer to the beach the better, avoid near the road or - and in particular - the back of the kit...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. I wish to assure both yourselves and other readers that mosquito's are not a major issue although I could not deny there are mosquito's on the island. As a result of your feedback, we have worked hard to clear branches from the trees over the creek to allow sunlight in and have taken further measures by "fogging" the creek which reduces their number further. I hope I have an opportunity to welcome you back.

Been to Cobblers Cove? Share your experiences!