My husband and I have just returned from an eight night stay at Cobblers Cove, it was our first time in Barbados and having read the reviews for the hotel we had high expectations. For us sadly, it was a huge disappointment. Firstly let me say this is not a bad Hotel, it is an okay Hotel , the rooms are okay the service is okay and the location is okay but with a price tag of around £500 a night we expected more than okay - we expected a great location, great rooms and great service or at least one of those...
Location- the Hotel is situated about 45 minutes from Bridgetown and 15 minutes from Hole town which is where most of the Hotels, bars and restaurants are located, which means taxi rides to get anywhere - these ranged from around £20-50 for a round trip. There is a frequent bus service for less than a pound but we only used that in the daytime. The stretch of beach on which the Hotel is situated on is quite narrow and not very long consequently there are no sun loungers on the beach which is something we normally enjoy.
Rooms- the rooms are spacious, but as others have commented ,are really quite basic and certainly in no way luxurious. The bathroom was not good with an over small bath shower,plastic toilet seat, and shelves. Our bathroom definitely needed upgrading. We were allocated Room 23 which was a ground floor room, unfortunately the bedroom and bathroom look onto a large wall which makes it quite dark, the wall is on the main road which means you can also hear the noise of the traffic....not quite what we expected. We did ask to be moved and they offered us an upper room on the same block but as it had no access to the outdoor area we declined. The area to the front of the room was nice. The Hotel were very limited in what they could offer us as they have lots elderly return guests who have been going for many years and they book up their favourite rooms a year in advance. This unfortunately means the less popular rooms are given to newcomers like ourselves. The rooms located nearer the beach all looked brighter and of course did not have to contend with the traffic noises so if you are going I would make sure you book one of those.
Service - The reception staff and cleaning staff were fine but the rest of the areas could definitely be improved. The staff were mostly friendly and nice ( with one or two exceptions) but there is an absence of professionalism - having to pour your own wine, flat coke in drinks, having to go the bar to order drinks as there was no pool side service around, fishing the stickers from the lemon out of your drink as they haven't taken it off, ( putting lemon in a mojito anyway!!) being asked for your room number 3 times over breakfast, getting something wrong or forgetting something every single day at breakfast, not having enough sun beds by the pool, having to go to the room for towels as they had run out at the pool, running out of yoghurt and having under ripe fruit for breakfast ...and a particularly annoying pet hate of ours ...allowing guests to reserve sun beds. I really could go on for pages but it gives an idea- I realise these might seem like small petty things but if you get enough of them on the one day it is very irritating and is not indicative of a quality Hotel. If these kind of things don't bother you then you will be fine.
The communal areas and gardens were nice, there is a small pool with sun beds but not really enough for the amount of guests. We always got a sun bed but it was becoming an issue for some of the other guests as some of the return guests seemed to get up very early to reserve their favoured position!!
The breakfasts were okay, we only ate one night in the restaurant which again was okay but the service was not too good. We had much nicer food elsewhere on the island for the same kind of price or cheaper.
As I said at the start of this review this is not a bad Hotel,but for us, it was in no way ,shape, or form value for money which is why we have rated it poorly. We do not know it this is all you get for your money in Barbados, what we do know is what £500 a night can buy elsewhere in the world and this Hotel cannot even start to compete. Whilst we were there the vast majority of the other guests were elderly English people who obviously love it as they return year after year which is great news for the Hotel. We, needless to say will not be returning and could not recommend it to anyone we know.I wish it had been different.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This luxury boutique resort combines Caribbean style and beauty with gracious English country living. Set amongst beautifully landscaped gardens with breathtaking coastal views, the beachside hotel has 40 suites, each individually decorated and open to the ocean and tropical garden surroundings. As a member of the prestigious Relais & Chateaux group, Cobblers Cove prides itself on its impeccable service and elegant Caribbean charm. The hotel's restaurant, The Camelot, serves island-inspired gourmet dishes made with the finest local produce. Lead by Executive Chef Michael Harrison, who has previously trained under Michel Roux Jr. At Le Gavroche in London, The Camelot was recently awarded the highly-coveted BHTA Restaurant of the Year award. Popular with couples and families alike, the resort offers a whole repertoire of activities and facilities. Thrill-seeking children and adults can enjoy complimentary watersports each day, including water skiing, sailing, kayaking and windsurfing. For golfers, Cobblers Cove has a privilege system in place at the Royal Westmoreland Golf and Country Club. For those seeking serenity and relaxation, the Sea Moon Spa offers an extensive treatment list from skincare specialists REN and Sothys, providing the perfect setting for a touch of holiday pampering. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotel.de, Regatta Hotels, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Cobblers Cove reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cobblers Cove Hotel Barbados
- Cobblers Cove Barbados/Saint Peter Parish