“you either get it or you dont....” 5 of 5 stars

All Inclusive Supplement
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Speightstown
Certificate of Excellence 2014
West Sussex
“you either get it or you dont....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2007

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this website - I am here as we are desperately searching for a holiday in Feb 2008 !

I saw a few posts on Cobblers Cove and had to comment :-

Basically you either "get" West coast Barbados or you dont....(if you dont understand me then dont go there !)

Likewise for Cobblers Cove - It has a timeless history, elegance and grace that is gradually (sadly) dissapearing from the Carribean scene....owner operators are almost extinct now unfortunately.

We have been twice and Ross and his family run a superb Hotel with friendly staff for a discerning clientele.

the food is excellent and the amenities are just right....it is a wonderful balance of colonial decor with understated luxury.

The rooms are fine - simple and functional all opening up top Garden and sea views..intimate and welcoming.

go there to relax and chill out.,,,.you will meet some wonderful people (we did - both times !)

the way its going we are still struggling to find anywhere that sounds close so could be third time in Feb 2008!)

PS (Couldnt resist this - has nothing to do with review above though !)

a lot of the reviews on this website are fascinating and remind me of a famous parable :-

A Old man was resting by a deserted road in a strange land far far away.......A traveller gradually appeared on the horizon and over time arrived by the man and took a seat.

"Tell me old man" I have just journeyed from Aragon and now head for Xeros - what are the people like in that town ?

"How did they treat you in Aragon" the old man asked ?

"they were wonderful !, I found much in common with them and made many friends - I stayed much longer than I planned and was sad when I left"

"Then I suspect you will find the same in Xeros my friend"

The stranger said his farewells and walked on his way.

The old man sat a while and enjoyed the warm sun, the gentle breeze and the birds singing.

Gradually another traveller appeared on the horizon and over time arrived by the man and took a seat.

"How did they treat you in Aragon" the old man asked ?

" they were rude, petty and had no time for me - I left after 2 days"

"That is a great shame my friend - unfortunately I believe that you will probably find the same in Xeros"

The stranger walked off towards Xeros in a huff.

• Liked — Classy & refined
  • Disliked — allows children
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Somerset, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2007

I am quite certain that there are many people like myself who would not dream of writing a review of a much loved hotel unless an injustice was perceived in a previous review, as is the case here.

Cobblers is a much loved hotel with many repeat guests, which must mean Ross Stevenson and his wonderful team are doing something right.

There is a very good mix of repeat guests and newcomers, all of whom seem very much at home at this English Country Hotel on a West Indian beach.

The suites are lovely, all arranged around the Great House with views of the gardens or the sea. The pool is small but perfectly formed. The beach ,as with all the West Coast beaches is smaller than it was because of the storms but the joy is that you can walk along the beach to Speightstown in a northerly direction and Mullins in a southerly direction, very important to us as my husband is quite active and this way I get to have my time on my lounger reading and he gets his walks with a beer at the other end. The swimming is good just to the right of the hotel and the watersports centre will set you up with whatever you desire.

The restaurant is very good and the staff extremely pleasant.

I could go on but I am sure that by now you have got the picture.

What worries me now is that when we come to book again we will not be able to get in as the hotel will be full and my defence of our little bit of England in Barbados will have backfired on me.

• Liked — Relaxing on our balcony with a G&T after afternoon tea and a wonderful lazy day
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2007

Just a small question regarding the previous review? I can't understand why somebody would post a review dated October 27th 2007 when the holiday took place in March 2004!

We visited the Cobblers Cove in November 2006 and we are just about to return again on the 12th of November 2007. Many of the clientele who do frequent the hotel are returning customers (many times over ) which surely shows the strength of the establishment operated by Ross Stevenson and his capable staff.

We would not consider ourselves in our first flush of youth as we are in our 40s but we really love the place.

• Liked — peace and tranquility
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Berkshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2007

I went here for a romantic break back in 2004 but the travel agent's brief was 'luxurious' and special. I have no idea why a youngish couple were directed to a faded and slightly run down hotel of this type. The average guest was above retirement age, so we did not fit in at all and the room, whilst large, was a bit tatty and in clear need of a refurb.

The pool was too run down to venture into - peeling and uninviting. Luckily we pitched up at the nearby Elemis spa each day which had a nice pool, and headed off to places like The Cliff to eat.

As I recall the food was good - great seafood as you would expect. the beach was narrow but fine if you don't have kids with you.

My feeling was disapointment - whilst I could see that it must have been great in it's heyday, and it had a certain charm, a complete overhaul and refurb of the entire complex was needed to meet the standards of modern travellers.

Stayed March 2004
Heighington, Co. Durham, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2007

Second visit so knew what to expect and weren't disappointed.
Knowledgeable, helpful and friendly staff deliver the service and set the scene for a relaxing caribbean holiday. Relaxed atmosphere, child-friendly and hassle-free. Rooms are nice, more country house than Hilton and the setting on the west coast is great.
Nice touches - iced water on arrival (& rum punch of course), milk for youngest's early evening bottle, nothing seems too much trouble. Water sports guys good but not quite good enough to get me up on the water skis but that's probably more me than them.
Will certainly return.

Stayed August 2007
Somerset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2007

I had no idea where to start with my choice of hotel in Barbados, but after seeing many lovely looking places on the internet I eventually, and rather cautiously took the advice of a very helpful person at Caribbean Hotels. She recommended Cobblers Cove and it lived up to her glowing report. It is a small hotel, built around the original historic house adjacent to the sea shore, nestling in a beautiful tropical garden. The modest entrance belies the quiet sophisticated comfort which exists beyond it.
The rooms were very comfortable, the food excellent and the staff very courteous and friendly. The manager took personal interest in how his guests were faring and the attention to detail could not have been bettered.
Would we stay again? yes, can't wait.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2007

Hi

Went to Cobblers Cove for a week with my partner. We're in our late 20s/early 30s, and thought this was the most amazing place. The level of detail in everything that Ross Stevenson and his team do is staggering, from the rum given to you as you arrived right down to iced water given to you as you leave for your journey to the airport.

The rooms (all suites) were beatuifully designed, ours looked onto stunning gardens. The pool area may be a little small, but worked well for the number of guests and felt relaxed all day and into the night when it turned into an extension of the bar. We loved the corals you could see snorkeling on a very calm and scenic beach.

The main reason I'm writing is because I've seen so many reviews which criticise Cobblers Cove as being unsuitable for people below pension age. That's simply wrong! Sure, its a place to completely unwind rather than party, but you're made amazingly welcome while you are here and will leave truly relaxed, refreshed and immediately missing what feels like a tropical home from home.

Stayed May 2007

Been to Cobblers Cove? Share your experiences!