“Looking foreward to Sandals renovations.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Barbados

You added Sandals Barbados to your Saves list
Sandals Barbados
St Lawrence Gap SN, St Lawrence Gap 0, Barbados (Formerly Couples Barbados All-Inclusive)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
End of Year Bonus Offer!
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in St Lawrence Gap
swansea
“Looking foreward to Sandals renovations.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Stayed after a week Caribbean Cruise.Cannot comment on transfer,as Thomson arranged transfers.We arrived 4 couples and although a bit jumbled,check was made fun and the champagne flowed.The room was basic,shower pressure poor,but the view was too die for.No forms to order in room drinks,so we just wrote a note of requirements on note paper ,stuck it to fridge door and all requests met daily.All the linens in room,bed linen and towels ,were brilliantly white,clean and changed often.Food was good,but choice limited at times.Often only 2 restaurants open,and menu same for a few nights.Service in restaurants good,and certainly no waiting for water or wine top ups.Breakfast my favourite,and Anthony`s omelettes were certainly not over complimented.We would have liked more choice on whisky brands but we didn`t miss out on brands available.Entertainment was typical Caribbean.More bars are needed,and this is on Sandals plan.It was lovely to walk through grounds,the trees and birds were plentiful.My husband and I enjoyed sitting on the balcony with a chilled white wine enjoying the sunset.If you like sea swimming red flag for whole week There is so much too like about hotel at present,the staff are incredible,hope Sandals doesn`t change the ambiance.Thank you also Sandals for reapters dinner,and we`ve enjoyed the present of mount gay rum.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1408,we had an uninterrupted view of the sea.You can hear the entertainment,but it...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Barbados, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
We're glad you had a great stay overall, however we strive to exceed expectations. We are grateful for all feedback, as it allows us the opportunity to identify our strengths and weaknesses. Therefore, your comments have been passed on to the General Manager for immediate evaluation and action as needed. Thank you so much for your review. We can't wait to showcase our amazing resort to you in the future after our renovations are complete.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Buckingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

I realise that this hotel is about to be refurbished so I will try to highlight things that may not change. Main block has a great view and sizable rooms which presumably won't change. Located on the south coast it was windy for most of our week here, and the red flag was out for 5 1/2 days. Apparently the west coast is calmer for swimming etc. The grounds are beautiful and i particularly liked the palms on the beach which provided very welcome shade.
The staff are very friendly and eager to please, but didn't show much initiative. Management was definitely reactive rather than proactive, and there appeared to be a lack of leadership at all levels.

Room Tip: Stayed in 1406. Great view of the sea and close to the present restaurants but noisy in the evening...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
We're glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We always strive to provide wonderful and relaxing vacation experiences for our guests and I'm glad we met that goal. Thank you for your feedback about our team and service provided. I will be sure to alert our General Manager of your observations. We hope to welcome you back for a much better stay in the future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

I think the other reviews cover everything. We had a wonderful holiday and would definitely go again. The staff are excellent. Radu and Terry are very helpful, and were a visible presence on the resort. The bar staff could be slow to serve at times, but special mention to Robert who was particularly helpful. We found the staff in Yes Please great, particularly Francine and Aerial.
We did the 3 1/2 hour tour with Paul Payne who had given us his card when we were on the beach. Whilst it is much more expensive($135) than using the local buses Paul was very informative and showed us parts you wouldn't see if you used the bus.
I am sure that Sandals will sort out the issues that people have complained of before they re-open.

Room Tip: Block 1 for sea views, and some of these rooms will only be a partial view.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
We're so happy to read that you had such an amazing holiday at Sandals Barbados. We always want to exceed the expectations of our guests and ensure that they are enjoying themselves during their stay. We look forward to your return in the near future.

Clifton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

This hotel was a great all-inclusive option in Barbados and can only get better when the hotel closes and remodels for the rest of 2014. I have never been to a Sandals before so some of the reviews complaining that this hotel isn't "Sandalized" really meant nothing to me. As someone who has traveled the Caribbean extensively and stayed at many all-inclusives, this resort was definitely one of the better ones.

I think the main reason is because of the food. At other places, I have been able to pick and choose at a buffet to create a decent meal but have never characterized the food as "good". At this resort, I almost expected the food to be mediocre and was pleasantly surprised with almost every bite. In particular, the a la carte restaurants (only 2) had some really nice and tasty options. The surf and turf at Schooner's was a particular treat that isn't normally offered at such high quality at an all-inclusive. The steak was actually cooked at correct temperatures. Also, the veggie bar was a nice break from the lunch buffet and offered light, healthy lunch options and delicious and FRESH fruit and veggie smoothies.

I also really appreciated that all of the liquor was top shelf. I really enjoyed being able to enjoy a real cocktail or a decent glass of wine at dinner and not have to drink so much sugar all week just to mask the low-quality liquor selections that other places sometimes offer.

The beach was great. Lots of trees for those that prefer shade. I felt that the entire beach became shady earlier than I would have wanted but lots of sun for a decent part of the day. Beautiful soft white sand. Turquoise water. People complain that the water is rough. It definitely is not a calm "bath water"-like sea - there is a tide. But growing up near an ocean, I still found the water to be gentle and relaxing. I guess if you are not experienced with the ocean and are expecting still water then it could be considered rough. Vendors on the beach but they don't harass you. Boogie boards were available which was amazing - haven't used one of those since I was a kid and loved that so many people were into them!

Pools were great. One with a swim-up bar, right near the beach. At other hotels, I've enjoyed the pool bar scene - music, meeting people, "happy hour" feel at the end of the day - NOT at this place at all. People were barely at the swim up bar at all during the entire week - much more of a quiet atmosphere. Another pool in the middle of the resort and one towards the back with a hot jacuzzi. Jacuzzi was a little weird as it was only about a foot deep. But a lot of places call a jacuzzi just a section of the pool with bubbles - I appreciated that this one was actually hot. And, they let you swim in the pools/jacuzzi's at night which was another feature that set this place apart.

The rooms were ok. Standard. Fine. My only genuine complaint is that the water pressure was a TRICKLE. Really I wouldn't even let that bother me except after a long day on the beach, a nice strong shower would have been nice which is why the trickle situation was particularly bothersome. Other than that, no complaints at all.

The inclusions were another aspect that set this place apart. Transfers to and from the hotel were included. Not even a bus/van where you have to wait for other people, etc. Each time it was our own personal taxi. On Friday nights, there is a free shuttle to Oisten's which was fun to get off the resort and do something different. Very lively - food, shopping, etc. all outdoors with music - fun! And the free shuttle, all at staggered times, was such a nice touch. Probably the nicest inclusion was a free catamaran tour including snorkeling with the sea turtles, a sunset sail, all drinks included - a really fun staff that made it all about partying and having fun! This is just the type of thing we would have booked and to have it pre-arranged and included in the price of our trip was such a great value!

Overall, I thought that this hotel offered an excellent value for the money. If you want a nice relaxing beach vacation, this is it. If you are younger and looking to party, this is not your place. I am 29, my boyfriend is 32 and while we do not go on a beach vacation for the nightlife, we were surrounded by folks who were significantly older and not as much fun to hang out with which was a little bit of a drag. Oisten's was fun, the hotel had a fun beach party one night with steel drum band, and some nights you are just so wiped out from the sun, etc. that it doesn't really matter. But a few times, we would have at least liked to enjoy the swim-up bar with others (as mentioned above) or sat at a more lively bar at night. The evenings often consisted of a more "romantic" theme with love song duets and couples holding hands in hammocks, etc. A little bit of a drag. But definitely relaxing, definitely a quality resort, would definitely return and recommend to others!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your great review of Sandals Barbados. We're delighted to read that you had such a wonderful stay! We always strive to provide the best in customer service and luxury. We're happy we were able to exceed your expectations during your visit and hope to welcome you back for an even better experience in the future!

South Central PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We were there February 22nd to March 1st. No use giving a detailed report as everything is going to change.We have been to the Grande in St Lucia which has never been surpassed by any resort we have visited since. Couples Negril came close.Must say we are not real picky. Several things I think need addressed in the redo.
1. Scatter the loungers on the beach out as they are so close together.More tables between loungers to put personal item on.
2. Replace the loungers with more comfortable ones. Had back surgery a year ago and found the loungers very uncomfortable as a cross support hit right where my surgery was.Perhaps put floaties on them like Couples Negril does.Need more floaties at pool.More umbrellas at pool.
3. We found the towel game alive and well during our week.One morning out of 20 loungers at the main pool with towels on them at 9:00, only 7 people showed up before lunch. 4 loungers, they never showed up. Not sure how to fix this rudeness.Sunny spots taken early.OK as my wife is a natural blond and needed mostly shade. Felt sorry for people wanting sun having to end up in the shade
5. Can't say enough about the staff. They made this resort from an average stay to a very good one.Tipping didn't seem to make a difference in service but they were extremely grateful.Every staff member we talked to were being taken care of one way or another which is good and they deserve it,
6. I think all the people that booked and visited this resort before the renovations should be offered a reduced rate to return to see the change.Would be a nice thing for Sandals to do to make up for the lack of Sandals normal amenities.Great customer service move!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Barbados, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Thank you so much for your review and suggestions for improvements. We value our guests' feedback and hope to welcome you back for a truly stellar experience in the future once our renovations are complete.

Clifton Park, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

Loved Sandals Barbados! My husband and I, and three other couples spent a week (March 7-14) at Sandals. The staff was amazing. A special shout out to JP, Adrean, Maurice, Ricardo, Brendan, Cherise and Samantha. Hotel Manager Radu was so accomodating and helpful.

Beach was Beautiful, room was nice, food was amazing, entertainment was great!! . Location is convenint to everything! We are planning a return trip after it is 'Sandalized'!

I wouldnt hesitate to recommend it!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review of Sandals Barbados. We're so thrilled to read that you had such a wonderful stay with us. I'm glad that our team was so friendly and accommodating. Sounds like they made your stay a memorable and amazing one. I will be sure to let them all know about your kind feedback.

Kissimmee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

I know that all vacation expectations are from the standpoint of the reviewers as should be but, sometimes I believe we are a bit harsh on the unexpected. As you can see based on my title, ours needs are very limited but as a paying guests, we have several expectations that must be met. I can tell you my friends, as an experience all inclusive traveller, ours have definitely been met. There have been a few challenges, room and food, but, after addressing them with the right people, every single one has been resolved. Joseph, General Manager, we have been fortunate to run into at Montego Bay and St Lucia so when we saw him at our arrival we knew for sure it was would Great! But let me tell you guys, his side kick, "Kerry" is by far the best side kick anyone could have. I could only hope that I would be fortunate enough to have the honor of having a team mate as sincere, genuine and concern about people as she is. What a great human being she is! Hey Butch, she should be given the chance at her own place! I know for sure many of your guest will go! The employees here are great and really want to strive to be at the Sandals standard which is very high but, one gentlemen in particular makes that happen. "Maurice", you are the "Ambassador" of Sandals Barbados! I have watched how you speak and interact with guests, how patient you are, how well you listen and most of all, how proud you are of Barbados! I am honored to have met an individual as you and hope to see you one day as a Sandals Leader.
Hey Brit's! I know us Americans are loud but our passion is deep baby. It was an honor meeting many of you chaps!
Even though this place is closing down for a spell and it is still not available for reservations we can't wait to come back again. Of course, with the proper discounts and what nots :-). Now to the serious business:
1. Beach is beautiful but a bit small for you walkers. No rocks so beach shoes are not necessary. Very hot after 11am so brings lots of suntan lotion. It's always windy here and the water is a bit ruff.
2. Catamaran trip was free so how can you complain about that. The crew was very friendly and actually were the 1st to spot the only turtle in that area, but, it's hard to enjoy with a few hundred trashing about you. Watch your kicking guys.
3. The Oistins Fish fry is a tourist event. 99% of the people there are tourist. It's Ok. 2 meals and 9 drinks were about $40 US which trades at 2/$1. Fish was much better at the resort and drinks are free there.
4. The nature walk with Maxwell is very entertaining. He sure does know his stuff.
5. There are sea merchants, vendors, on the beach. Only had an encounter today with two rude ones but typically they leave you alone.
6. Yes, I'm still on location right now. Been 7 nights and have 3 to go.
7. Met a three people that booked weddings 3 administrations ago but all were very pleased with the sandals results. As a matter of fact they were impressed with how much more they received.
8. Airport was easy to get through. Our sandals representative was outside waiting for us with a sign so we were greeted immediately. Hey guys, late night time arrivals are what they are, late!
9. There are a couple of people that sell taxi tours on the beach. 5 hour tour runs approximately $200 US or you can take they "Blue" or "Yellow" buses for $1US. Your choice. Stay away from the public vans! Wreck less, unsafe, overloaded and they stop any where. Yup! Don't be surprised if you have a very unpleasant adventure.
Well, hope this gives you an idea of how great this place is going to be. We booked our next 10 day holiday for the Bahamas because of Kerry's passion for the location. Yup, were Sandalites. What can we say!

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review of Sandals Barbados. We're delighted that you were able to have such an amazing stay with us and enjoy our resort. We always want our guests to feel surrounded by excellent service and complete luxury.

We look forward to welcoming you soon for an even better experience in Bahamas next time.

Been to Sandals Barbados? Share your experiences!