“Great location and very customer friendly resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandals Barbados

Save Saved
You added Sandals Barbados to your Saves list
Sandals Barbados
St Lawrence Gap SN, St Lawrence Gap 0, Barbados (Formerly Couples Barbados All-Inclusive)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
1 Free Night!!
Ranked #6 of 6 hotels in St Lawrence Gap
Sarnia, Ontario
“Great location and very customer friendly resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed Dec 2-9 in block 1 fourth floor. View and balcony were great and the room adequate. No problems at all accept for very slow room service. Food was great although selection of restaurants should be considered when expanding resort. As everyone has said the staff are very accommodating and friendly. Beach is gorgeous but if you are a beach walker you can walk max 15 minutes before coming to dead ends. We got a good deal in pricing so resort met our expectations but it is not up to Sandals standards and I don't think it can be without gutting the place and starting over. Gardens are beautiful.

• Stayed December 2013
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Barbados, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you for your review of Sandals Barbados. We're so thrilled to read that you had such a wonderful, relaxing stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another great stay in the near future.

249 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Utica, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Just returned home from a great week in the beautiful island of Barbados. My wife and I had a wonderful time on and off the resort. I definitely feel the need to write a solid review on this property due to the very mixed reviews it gets.
You first need to take into consideration that yes, it is a "Sandals" resort but it's really not. I've been to other Sandals resorts and this is definitely not one. So you need to open your mind a bit and remember this resort a month ago was a Couples resort. Even less than a year before that, it was something else. I've heard too many negative reviews solely because people were complaining that it didn't meet Sandals standards. I'm sorry but do people think that Sandals was going to flip some magical switch and poof, it's 5 star? That being said, it's still a really nice resort on an extremely beautiful island. The people there are some of the nicest people I've ever met. Their hospitality was awesome and they were truly happy you were there. Give it a couple of years, this is going to be a 5 star Sandals resort. The service is almost there already. Now on to the review.
Check In:
Check in was seamless. Sandals rep met us at the air port and directed us to a shuttle. We were soon on our way to the resort which was about 20 minutes away. Sat in the lobby for another 25-30 minutes for check in and off to the room we were. I actually had a fellow resort goer tell me he can't believe how long it took them to get him to the room. He said it took him a half hour to get to his room from when he got there. I just shook my head. So these are some of the people that are writing these reviews.
Room:
We stayed in block 5 which was in the back (quiet part) of the resort. The room when we walked in was clean, but had a minor musty smell to it. I'm sure the A/C unit, although it worked very well, hasn't been cleaned in a while. The beds were average but for me in my opinion, the pillows were terrible. They were just not for me so I didn't sleep that well. The shower worked OK, decent water pressure. The most important thing was it was clean. The one major complaint I had with the room was this, all the rooms in our block had sliding doors to the balcony. When you slide them open, everyone in the building would hear it. I know this because I heard every time someone opened up theirs. It was really annoying. So I would tell Sandals, change them to French doors.....please!
Another complaint I had on the room was that we were supposed to get a mini bar. When we got in there, no mini bar. We filled out these little door tags that asked what you would like in your mini bar. I put in on the door and next day, no mini bar. I called, no mini bar. We went to the front desk, no mini bar. Finally one of the room cleaners said to us that Sandals had stopped that service. Kind of a shady move on Sandals part, considering we booked expecting a mini bar. Not a big deal, but a little irritated.
Restaurants:
There are three restaurants on this property. We'll start with Bayside. It's a buffet and the food was alittle disappointing. It was pretty much the same breakfast, lunch and dinner with little change. It was a small buffet too, not given you much for options. We didn't eat there much.
Then there was Yes Please. This restaurant was very good. The food and service was excellent. I didn't like that the menu didn't change as much as I would've liked for only having three restaurants on site. The last was Schooners. It is a seafood restaurant right near the beach. Again, in my opinion the food was good but options were limited. Sandals is planning on adding possibly 4 more restaurants so like I said earlier, Rome was not built in a day.
We did step off the property a few times to check out the local grub in the St Lawrence Gap. It's a short walk from the resort. Good food and good people there. I would highly suggest stepping off the resort a few times to check out the local area.
Pools and Bars:
There were 3 pools and 3 bars. The main pool and a pool bar that was attached to the "beach" bar if you will. The pool bar is where we spent most of our time on the resort. We had a great time and made some friends in our bartenders. Akeem, Riccardo, Maurice, Samantha, Adrian and Hasani treated us like one of them. We also met some good couples from around our parts that we really enjoyed hanging out with during our stay. We hopefully plan to see them in the future. I couldn't have asked for better people to hang with on my vacation, thanks guys! The middle pool we never used. There was a pool and a jacuzzi in front of Block 5 in the back of the resort. We used it once but it was very quiet. No bar, and just not our thing. If you want quiet, this is definitely your pool. It was very beautiful back there.
The other two bars were in the Calypso lounge and the lobby bar. The Calypso bar was were the nightly entertainment was. It was fun, some good acts some nights. We found ourselves there some nights. The lounge itself was pretty nice, they had couches and swinging chairs in front of the stage so you can really relax while watching a local band. Our friends did stay in Block 1 which is the ocean front rooms but had one minor complaint. The entertainment would be on until almost 11 PM and it was pretty loud in most of the rooms. The lounge is directly underneath the room block.
Beach:
Not much to say about it except for beautiful. One of the nicer beaches I've been to. The water was so blue and the waves very active at times. It is a public beach but we were never really harassed by anyone. Sandals had security walking the beach. No issues there.
In closing, I'll leave you with some tips I learned while on the property. I would definitely suggest doing the catamaran from Cool Runnings given to you by the resort. We swam with sea turtles and then went sailing for a couple of hours. Had a blast! They had free golf but we didn't use it. They also had free diving but they stated they would only take you twice during your stay. If you were not certified, you could do the resort course for $100 USD. If you want a nice quiet room I would stay in the back of the resort, Blocks 4,5,6. There was no construction being done, or at least I heard being done while we were there. I know they have big plans for this resort but I don't know if they are shutting it down or not. I kinda heard they were and then they weren't. Don't let the negative reviews scare you. My wife freaked out about it but when she got there she loved it. If you want to go to Barbados which I suggest you do at some point in your life, I would stay at this resort.

Room Tip: Blocks 4,5, and 6 are in the back of the resort which is nice and quiet. Block 1 is ocean view but...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for posting about your great stay at Sandals Barbados. I'm so glad that we were able to make your trip wonderful and so happy to hear that our staff was able to make your vacation so enjoyable. We always want to ensure that our guests are comfortable and happy.

We hope to see you again in the near future.
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I traveled to Sandals Barbados with a small group of friends and family from 12/7/13 to 12/14/13. I was expecting a resort deeply entrenched in transition. What I got was a fantastic experience from start to finish.

The best thing about the resort is the amazing beach. Very large and there are plenty of chairs. Even for our group of 10, we were able to find a spot with enough chairs with a mix of shade and sunshine.

Equally great is the staff. Everyone is extremely friendly and attentive. Gionni, Steven, and Hasani did an excellent job with our group's large drink orders on the beach everyday, and they were always helpful when asked for suggestions. I hate to not mention others among the staff because everyone was great, but we spent most of our time on the beach, and those 3 guys did a great job for us.

The entertainment at this resort was also exceptional. While participation was limited in some of the daytime activities (soccer, cricket, water aerobics, soka dancing), there was always something to do. The evening entertainment in the Calypso lounge was always good. A couple of the piano bar singers at the late night entertainment were amazing (I think their names were Chanelle and Natalie). There are always things going on to keep yourself entertained.

Food: The buffet was surprisingly great. They have a great selection for all 3 meals, and everything I got from there was very tasty. It was also nice to be greeting in the mornings by the omelette chef singing Christmas carols.

The restaurant by the quiet pool (Yes Please, I think it was called) had excellent food at lunch. Great sandwiches, wraps, salads, chips & dip, veggie trays, and more. Just great. We enjoyed dinner there one night as well.

I can't remember the name of the "fine dining" restaurant, but we had dinner there twice during our stay. We all thought it was excellent, and they perfectly accommodated some of our unusual requests to mix and match things from the menu. This restaurant requires reservations, but we had no problem finding a slot for even our group of 10.

Our room was as nice as expected, and the air conditioning worked very well. The mini-fridge was well-stocked everyday.

The boring stuff: check-in and check-out was a breeze and took no more than 15 minutes. The airport transfers were timely and uneventful. The gym was very nice. The spa was great.

I just don't have anything negative to say about this resort. I'd recommend it to anyone, and I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Block 1 has the ocean view rooms. Views from 3rd, 4th, or 5th floor between 1410 and 1424 will all b...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for posting a review of Sandals Barbados. We're so thrilled to read that you had such an amazing stay with us. Our goal is to always exceed the expectations of our guests and I'm happy we did that during your visit.

We hope to welcome you back soon!
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

My Husband and I travelled to sandals barbados from December 9 2013-December 16 2013.We can't say enough about the 300 staff at this resort.Excellent all around service was found everywhere in the resort. We would like to give special thanks to Stephen who was one of the beach bartenders. Always friendly and eager to please. Prudence who cleaned our room,always friendly and willing to help with anything you needed help with. Don from Guardian security who made sure everyone was safe and was friendly and gave alot of first hand advice about Barbados. A very special thanks to our friend Riccardo on taxi services. This man goes above and beyond his job and no matter where your going in barbados he gives you a private tour while driving, pointing out attractions specific to this country. I would highly recommend that if your staying at this resort and need a taxi to ask for this man.The beach is very beautiful, White sand and turquoise water. Many water activites included from boogie boards to hobie cats to kayaking and hydro bikes. Lifeguards always on duty and are very attentitive to thier jobs. lots of pools and an outside whirlpool. My husband is a certified chef and the food is by far five star.People who have given this bad reviews in the past have no palate for five star food.Special thanks to wendell at schooners always polite and courteous. All of the waiting staff at bayside. I can't say enough about this resort or this island. Great time will be back soon.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your great review of Sandals Barbados. We're thrilled to read that you had such an amazing vacation with us. You enjoyed our beautiful beach, exciting activities, delicious dining and the genuine hospitality of our wonderful staff.

We can't wait to welcome you back for another wonderful vacation in the near future.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

We booked through Couples (that is another story in itself!) and were relieved to know that we were going to be at a Sandals resort, as it could only get better after our booking experience. We arrived on Dec 4 and left Dec 14th.
All in all, we had a wonderful time. We met some great people there and shared a fantastic 10 days.
Since it was our first Sandals experience, we were very impressed with it all but did hear experienced Sandals guests saying it did not measure up. Yes, the buildings are old and in need of renovation, the dining is limited but the food quality is very good, the beach is a highlight, only one day with red flags. We loved floating on the waves in the sun.
We thought the staff were very good WHEN there was a management presence..... the management was very visible on the resort as it is new and they are trying SO hard to make it all go well. Most of the time it worked, but there are a few exceptions, which we noted were when the management were not watching..... it will take some time.

The gym is excellent, beach service was very good. We do not use pools so cannot comment on those. Some very good entertainment, especially the 2 girls in the piano bar off the lobby. We very much enjoyed the scuba diving. Did not go out on Catarmaran cruise as we were diving with the turtles during the day. Lots to do on the island and 10 days was not really long enough.

All in all, we had a great time and would go back in a minute....

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

We stayed from December 9th - 16th, 2013.

Good:
Staff, food and drinks were mostly terrific. In some cases they tried to hard but nonetheless they always seemed genuine and sincere. They would share a story, laugh at a joke and always give a nice hello ans smile.

The beach is beautiful when the weather co-operates.

Our room in Block 1, 4th floor had an amazing view and was nicely appointed.

Excursions organized through resort were all great....Island Safari, Atlantis Submarine and Cool Runnings Catamaran.

Bad:
They desperately need additional washrooms near the pool and lounge.

In the work Sandals plans to undertake they need to find a way to continue with the entertainment without as much noise in the block 1 rooms.

The beach varied between beautifully rough to unusable rough waters. The hobbie cats were not permitted out during our entire stay.

Conclusion:
For the money (we booked with Couples) we had a wonderful vacation....I'm not sure we would feel the same if the cost was what we currently see advertised.

Room Tip: Avoid block 1 or 2 if you want to sleep before 10:30pm.
Cobourg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

My wife and I travelled to Barbados Dec.6-13. Upon arrival at the airport we were greeted by a Sandals Rep, was given a nice cold water and within 10 minutes were on our way to the hotel. Check-in was quick and by the time we had arrived in our room our luggage was there. We were in room 1308 with a fantastic ocean view. The rooms were spacious and clean. The housekeeping staff were very attentive - mini bar was stocked every day and towels were replenished a few times a day.
The food at the buffet restaurant was plentiful, varied and tasty. There was a different theme each day with a chicken, meat and fish dish. The waitresses were so pleasant and the tables were always cleared quickly. A special shout-out to Annette. The bar staff were great as well - you never had to wait long at the bar to get served. No drink was too much trouble. They had premium brands as well.
We did have to go to the beach early in the morning to get a chair under the shade - these spaces went very quickly. There were lots of chairs available by the pool most of the day. The ocean was quite rough towards the end of the week.
We took the catamaran and snorkelled with the turtles and saw lots of fish over the shipwreck. The staff were so helpful and made sure everyone was safe and comfortable. We also hired a private taxi driver (Paul Payne) who took us around the island for 5 hours. He will customize your tour and take you wherever you would like to go. I would recommend him.
We met a lot of nice people and again we can't say enough about the staff at Sandals. They made this trip so relaxing and enjoyable. There are plans to add more restaurants to this resort and even though there is still a ways to go to make this a true Sandals resort we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: We were in room 1308 with an ocean view - fantastic. We were close to the beach, pool and restaurant...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sandals Barbados? Share your experiences!