“Very well run little hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of South Gap Hotel

You added South Gap Hotel to your Saves list
South Gap Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   St. Lawrence Gap | Christ Church, St Lawrence Gap BB15020, Barbados   |
Special Price
Tidal Wave Special!!
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in St Lawrence Gap
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bourne, Massachusetts
“Very well run little hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This was our first visit to the South Gap Hotel and we enjoyed it very much. We've traveled to Barbados many times in the last 20 years. We'd never stayed in the Gap, but we came across a great deal on AA.com and booked a 7 night vacation. We knew of the hotel, and it's location so we were a little concerned about the noise in the Gap. It was noisy on the 1st night of our stay, but the 3rd night was unbearable. The Karaoke, at a bar across the street, was soo loud from 10pm - 3:30am that we asked to be moved. They were just great!. They immediately moved us to a one bedroom on the ground floor and we never heard another sound. I can't say enough about the staff at this hotel. The restaurant serves very good food at a great price. The rooms,
the pool, and all the grounds are very clean. We would definitely stay at the South Gap again.

Room Tip: One bedroom units on the ground floor are the best
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This is a fabulous budget hotel. The staff can't be beat for warmth and welcome! The rooms are simple, but well equipped, with a comfortable bed, nice little kitchenette, and lovely ocean view! The pool area is clean, and also a great place to enjoy happy hour and watch the sun set. The restaurant menu is simple but very good. I received a birthday bottle of wine, and also a lovely "welcome back" gift!!
This hotel is not brand new, but everything is clean and comfortable. I loved our stay!
Oh, it is loud on the upper floors from the bars across the street, but not on the lower floors.

Room Tip: I like the main floor, because I have a bad knee, and it's quiet there.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Stayed here with a friend in July for 3 nights and it was great. Staff were really friendly and helpful - couldn't fault them. We were travelling to St Vincent for a month on our medical elective and stopped here on the way, we also had one nights stopover on the way back and booked into this hotel again as it was so nice. The staff let us leave some things for that month which was really kind of them. Rooms were fine - clean and spacious and had the most gorgeous views of the sea from the balcony! Swimming pool lovely and had breakfast there one morning which was fine. It is a bit noisy as its right on St Lawrence Gap where all the clubs are - this might be a bit annoying especially if you have young children but was fine for us. Location otherwise good and close to Dover Beach and nice restaurants/bars. Would recommend especially for younger people.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We came here for my birthday and we absolutely loved and throughly enjoyed our time in Barbados and in the South Gap Hotel. We thought the staff were very friendly and very helpful and we especially took to Rose, the head receptionist.As it was my birthday, we were kindly given a bottle of wine! We found the rooms to be very comfortable and with the cooking faclilities available, we were able to sort our own meals out and relax and cool down in front of some television after a long day in the sun. The TV wasn't a state of art facility, but then personally speaking, you don't really go on holiday for the television! The rooms were clean and cleaned everyday. We found them to be pleanty big enough for our needs and there is a lovely little balcony with a table on it looking out on to the ocean, which took our breath away when we first saw it. We found the beds very comfortable. We did hear the music from the karaoke bar faintly and not enough to disrupt us. (Not a bad place to pop over to though for a drink and some entertainment!) We loved being by the pool when we were not out and about and it was lovely and quiet. The hotel food was extremely tasty too! We thought the hotel was situated very well in terms of getting to places. South Gap Hotel gave us everything we wanted and the upshot is we would recommend anyone stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I traveled alone and at all times during my stay I felt safe and secure. Check in was a breeze!! The receptionist was professional and courteous. She escorted me to my room and showed me everything I needed to know and then some. The other ladies were equally as knowledgeable and professional as well as the other support staff. I researched the hotel carefully before I booked and I am extremely happy that I did.

I stayed on the ground floor a little way from reception. I saw reviews about the noise from the nightclubs next door and was a little scared but I barely heard anything and if I did it was more like a whisper. The room had the toaster, microwave, iron and ironing board etc plus tea/coffee sugar. Housekeeping was effective and efficient the room was always clean and linens changed and tidied. Bar staff was warm and friendly. The surroundings were always clean. The view from my room was breath taking!! All rooms have an ocean view...ALL!! I sat in the balcony and just relaxed, watching the waves and inhaling the sweet, crisp sea breeze!

The hotel is about 10 mins walk from the beach - Dover Beach but you can use the small beach at the hotel next door at no cost. The wifi is lightening fast. There are restaurants all around if you chose not to eat at the hotel. Transportation options are a short walk away or you can have the ladies call you a taxi. The hotel is right in the thick of action but you never once feel the hustle and bustle of the action outside it is like entering paradise.

I have stayed at many hotels and this was the first time that I felt so comfortable like I was at home. My only issue is a minor one...it said "queen bed" but it was actually two junior beds pushed together but I was too tired roaming the country to be bothered, my only concern was to choose between AC or fan to sleep with! lol

There is an ATM to the front of the hotel and a mobile police booth which is manned also tot he front. As a female traveling alone I could feel no safer...oh and the hotel security is on spot!

I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I loved Barbados and the hotel. the staff is very friendly. Barbados for me was an ideal place to travel alone. people are friendly,i felt safe wherever I went. I love Friday night at Oisten's fish market, where everybody dances.
Swimming with the turtles was another wonderful experience. Going around the island is a lovely experience and enjoying jazz on Saturday or Sunday sunset in St.Lawrence is a wonderful opportunity to met people enjoying the view and the music!!!! Barbados is a worth traveling destination!!!!! =)

Room Tip: No need to use air conditioning, nice to sleep with door open and listening to the sound of the sea
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

As this was my first visit to the island for a birthday celebration for my sister-in law who received from the hotel a bottle of wine for this occasion, this hotel was in the best location- St. Lawrence Gap. Food, drinks, people friendly, night life (superb). The hotel was excellent in everything with very friendly, helpful staff. On a ratio of 1-10 as a visitor to other Caribbean countries I will rate Barbados a 10 (beaches -super great).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to South Gap Hotel? Share your experiences!