We started our honeymoon in Ocean Two Barbados after a really long flight, and were greeted by the friendliest staff members and the unforgettable Eucalyptus-soaked towels for us to freshen up. And throughout the rest of our trip, it was the little touches like this that really made Ocean Two stand out and made our experience in Barbados spectacular.
Our room was basically a pent-house suite, not unlike a service apartment. The shower room was simply enormous. I'm more of a bath person and was at first rather disappointed that there was no bath, but after experiencing the rain shower head, I looked forward to having the water pour down on me every single morning and evening...
Another of our favourite room features was the huge balcony facing the ocean. On our very first night, we ended up falling asleep on the two large comfy loungers on the balcony, and woke up only a couple of hours later to the sounds of the crashing waves, before making our way back to the bedroom.
The bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on. It was like sleeping on a cloud.
And the same goes for the sun loungers by the pool. They were big and had the fluffiest cushions on them...great for falling asleep on at all times of the day.
Yes, there was a lot of falling asleep going on. I suppose lazing in the sun by the beach while their attentive staff come round with eucalyptus water sprays and trays of yummy cocktails is tiring business. And the comfort of the resort ensured that we got our rest from the very first day.
The resort is very family-friendly, but there were several couples there too.
What I most liked about it was that it was not too big a resort and was not crowded with people jostling for space.
The only complaint we probably had was the fact that our room was situated right under some machine on the roof top (that was probably for the rooftop pool). This meant a constant buzzing noise that became more apparent in the quiet of the night.
We complained about this to the staff at reception about 2 or 3 times, and they tried to look into it, but didn't seem to get back to us on the problem. To be honest, it could have affected the quality of our sleep, but the bed was so comfortable and we were so tired every night that we slept right through it all. It still would have been nice if the hotel could have sorted out this problem though.
Here are some tips for travellers:
- The taxi ride from the airport should cost you about US$30.
- US dollars are accepted in most places, but if you prefer, Bajan dollars would work too.
- St Lawrence Gap is about 10-15 minute walk away. I really enjoyed the walk back and from the Gap though. Helped with the appetite and digestion.
- The restaurants on the Gap are not cheap, but the food and ambience is good. Be prepared to fork out about US$100 for a dinner for two. The same goes for the restaurant at the hotel.
- Breakfast at the hotel is excellent. However, our travel agent only included a continental breakfast in our package, which essentially means two pastries and a drink. We paid for an upgrade and it's definitely worth it!
- As for dinner, I would highly recommend PIsces on St Lawrence Gap. The service is excellent and the lobster dish is to die for.
Cafe Sol serves good Mexican food and good portions too. We couldn't finish our burrito and fajitas and we got them to 'doggy bag' the leftovers and brought it back to our hotel room for lunch the next day. There are microwave ovens in the rooms, so it makes heating up leftovers really convenient.
- Alternatively, you could buy ingredients and supplies from the nearby supermarket and make your own meals in the room. But do note that groceries are generally not that cheap in Barbados. They rely a lot on imports, which naturally put up the prices. If you want to save, support the local produce and buy local whenever possible.
- Make use of the Happy Hour times at the hotel bar. The milkshakes are fantastic!
- The waters in front of Ocean Two is quite rough. The waves are great fun to play with but it's not for proper swimming. If you like bodysurfing, this could get quite fun.
- If you like chilling in the sun, snorkelling, and swimming in the ocean, book a day trip on the Catamarran tours. It's extremely relaxing and there's free flow of a great choice of drinks and cocktails all day. The lunch provided is also excellent. Grab a seat in the nets first thing when you get on the boat! Best seat in the house!
- If you are looking to explore the city centre of Bridgetown, there are several ways to get there. Take a taxi, take a regular bus, or take the reggae bus. We took the reggae bus and I must say, it was the most amusing bus ride of my life! The reggae bus is basically a minivan that blasts really loud reggae music as you squeeze in with the locals on your way into town. It costs only US$2 per person and really gives you a small insight into Bajan life. I would totally recommend trying the Reggae bus!
- Go to Oistins fish market on a Friday (a taxi from the hotel will take you there). Have some fish, browse the market stalls, have some ice-cream to cool you down, and make sure you stay for some dancing at the end. It's guaranteed to put a smile on your face.
If you're looking for a hotel in Barbados, this is it.
And, I hope you'll have as great a time at Ocean Two as we did.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ocean Two Resort & Residences is a brand new, 4*, beachfront property located at the far end of St.Lawrence Gap with a wide array of amenities and facilities. It is the ideal location for romantic retreats, family holidays, girlfriend getaway, family reunions/group travel as well as meetings and incentive groups! With its spacious accommodations including Hotel Rooms, One Bedroom & Two Bedroom Suites with genuine, Bajan hospitality, Ocean Two is THE place to stay on the South Coast of Barbados. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Regatta Hotels, Hotels.com, BookIt.com and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Ocean Two Resort & Residences reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Two Resort And Residences
- Ocean 2 Resort & Residences
- Ocean Two Resort & Residences Hotel St Lawrence Gap
- Ocean Two Resort & Residences Barbados/St Lawrence Gap