We spent a week at Ocean Two in late March 2013 in a one bedroom ocean view room. The resort was nice, until near the end of our stay.
On the last couple of nights, our daughter wanted to sleep in the bedroom so I slept on the pullout sofa. After the first night I noticed a couple of itchy red bites on my arms, but I thought they were mosquito bites and thought nothing of them. The second night I had a couple of more bites but again thought they were mosquito bites. We saw a couple of mosquitos in the room and we had the balcony door opened from time to time. The last night before we left, I ended up getting a few dozen bites on my arms, neck, and a few in other spots. I had never had something like this happen before. We were busy getting packed and ready to leave and I did not do any research on whether this was mosquitos or something else. When I got home, the next morning I began looking into the bites and everything that we saw suggested these were bed bug bites (including seeing some examples of three or more bites in a line). After unfortunately leaving our bags in our house for the first night, we immediately moved them outside and then did what we could to ensure that while washing our clothes, etc., we did not bring any stow-away pests, if there were any in our luggage, into the house. We also ended up throwing out our luggage as we were too concerned about bringing them back into the house. We contacted management of Ocean Two to tell them that we believed there were bed bugs or something in the sofa bed. The Manager responded that day and said he would investigate and get back to us in two days. Six days later we had not received a response so we emailed the manager again. He said he would call the next day.
When the manager called back 7 days after our initial email, he spent some of his time talking about all of the steps they take to prevent outbreaks of bed bugs and also explaining how common it is for airplanes and airports to be infested with bed bugs. While not necessarily related to preventing outbreaks, I don't believe they changed the sheets on the pullout sofa once during the week we were there and I believe their brochure says they change every 3 days. I made it very clear to him that whatever bit me, did so in the room before we left Ocean Two.
We were a bit bothered by his reference to bed bugs on airplanes as it could not have had anything to do with this situation. Whatever bit me did so in the room before we left Barbados. We considered his response and got back to him a few days later.
We responded the following week and said that it was clearly difficult to reconcile the bites that occured on me with the hotel's apparent finding that there was nothing on or around the sofa bed, but in the end as we were not prepared to take a chance with our luggage, we had thrown it out and purchased new luggage. We provided receipts and asked for a small refund to reimburse for the cost of the new luggage. This amount was a bit less than the charge for one night.
We received a response from the Manager a few days later that really annoyed us. Over half of his written response was spent explaining the existence and spread of bed bugs on airlines and in airports. We found this to be offensive as by this point, the only reason for suggesting it appears to us to be to suggest that I must have been bitten on the airplane ride home and not in the room at Ocean Two. This annoyed us far beyond their refusal to provide any reimbursement. This type of response was not fair and has certainly soured our view of this otherwise wonderful resort and its management. We stayed in room PH3 (703).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ocean Two Resort & Residences is a brand new, 4*, beachfront property located at the far end of St.Lawrence Gap with a wide array of amenities and facilities. It is the ideal location for romantic retreats, family holidays, girlfriend getaway, family reunions/group travel as well as meetings and incentive groups! With its spacious accommodations including Hotel Rooms, One Bedroom & Two Bedroom Suites with genuine, Bajan hospitality, Ocean Two is THE place to stay on the South Coast of Barbados. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, BookIt.com, getaroom.com, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Regatta Hotels, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Ocean Two Resort & Residences reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean 2 Resort & Residences
- Ocean Two Resort & Residences Hotel St Lawrence Gap
- Ocean Two Resort And Residences
- Ocean Two Resort & Residences Barbados/St Lawrence Gap