“No faults found” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in St Lawrence Gap
sheffield, UK
“No faults found”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2008

I booked this hotel a full year in advance through Virgin Holidays. I picked it as it was a budget hotel but seemed to be in the exact position on the island I was looking for according to the brochure - slap bang in the night-life and right next to the beach. Sounded perfect!
Then I started reading the reviews on here, some were positive of course, others rather scathing. I was a little perturbed but not too much so, location was my main thing, and I knew that was pretty much guaranteed!
So me and my partner arrived on Sunday 28th September and stayed for 14 nights. Got there in the evening so was too dark to check out hotel amenities outdoors, but room was well presented, everything worked and the bed was huge! We were allocated a room on the top floor as requested as well so we were off to a good start. All the restaurants on the gap were open Sunday night so we ate somewhere close-by and then went to sleep - I was very excited about daylight arriving!
In the morning, the sun was shining gloriously and I got to appreciate the view from our balcony. Even if the rest of the hotel had have been rubbish, it was worth it for the view alone. The beach right outside us had gorgeous warm, clear waters, really shallow to very far out, some days we didn't even bother with the bigger beaches!
Pool was nice and warm too, and the pool side bar had delicious breakfast and lunch. I didn't meet one grumpy member of staff at the front desk or anywhere else in the hotel and I really have no complaints. Plenty of towels replenished every day, room cleaned thoroughly daily and every request catered for.
I loved the island and would definitely stay at the Rostrevor again if it wasn't for seeing the Crane Hotel from our helicopter tour over the island! It looked gorgeous! Of course that would cost a whole lot more money..

• Liked — The location on the beach
  • Disliked — had to pay for safe.. thought it might just be a deposit.. only $70 though..
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

If it is true that you get what you pay for, we got the shaft!
Good view of the ocean from the balcony..THAT'S IT!!
Some of the staff at the front desk needs to be more cordial.
There was constant noise day and night, granted there were renovations to some of the room as it was noted on a sign posted by the bar with an apology for the dust and work in progress. The towels are very dingy, the beds are "ragged" many times the room maids forget to bring us new towels and someone from the front desk had to bring us some. While resting one day I was awakened by the noise of a leaf blower, as I looked over the rail into the courtyard, there was this guy trying to blow about six leaves with a blower. Had he taken the time to pick them up, it would have lasted less than one minute. Yet there he was for about ten minutes trying with six leaves. There is too much noise form the bars and vendors on St. Lawrence "Gap" as it comes to life after 7:00pm until approx. 2:00am. Following that people on the street cuss very loud and even though there is a police sub-station near, this noise continues. There have been complaints for the noise but nothing has been done about it.
For God's sake do not take your keys from the premises, because if you lose them it's a $50.00 US charge. They don't even tell you that as a precaution on arrival, you'll have to read it in the room directory when you go there.

If you are looking for peace and quiet, stay away from the "Gap" especially Rostrevor and in the area from St.Lawrence Ch to the Southern Palms Hotel.

• Liked — The view from the balcony overlooking the ocean
  • Disliked — The room service, the staff needs some training to be more cordial.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

This is an overdue report.. so here goes..

Me and partner (both 24) booked through Virgin Holidays staying at the Rostrevor (28-Jun-08 to 05-Jul-2008).. we paid approximately £673 each for a week in mid May.. then a week later the exact same holiday (same dates and same hotel) through Virgin Holidays went down to £575.. we was very peed off.. rang Virgin to complain.. but it was useless!!! So if we booked a week later we could of saved ourselves £200!!!

Upon arrival to Grantley Adams, first impressions wasnt too bad.. it took at least 45 minutes for our luggage to arrive on the carousel.. everyone was panicking.. but eventually it did arrive! Going through customs was a joke.. there was no organisation, just two people by the exit collecting the forms, with everyone pushing their way through! We had to wait another hour on the Virgin bus for passengers so we can get dropped off to their hotels.. we eventually got to the Restrevor..

First impression was that we was so glad to be staying on the Gap side cos all the other places we saw when dropping off other passengers their hotels seemed so isolated from everywhere! Checking in was fine! Prior to booking with Virgin we made a request for a Studio Ocean Front Studio on a high floor and in the “new building” and thats what we got! We had to pay I think $35 bajan dollars for the safety box for a week! Which I would recommend! Our room was 411 and on the 4th floor... it was absolutely lovely! It was my birthday during our stay and there was a bottle of red wine on the table for us on behalf of the Restrevor!

The room was excellent! Would highly recommend! It was clean, bright and spacious with a remote air conditioning unit and a fan! The balcony was spacious. The kitchen was well equipped! And the bathroom was as average as any other bathroom! We could not fault the room! Our on last day we extended our checking out time! We had to pay $50 bajan dollars but it was good cos we didnt have to rush about panicking about checking out!

The Rostrevor on the whole wasnt too bad! The pool was always empty, the restuarant/bar prices was more or less the same as everywhere else, I'd probably say a bit cheaper! Highly recommend the chicken burgers which was actual grilled chicken breast and homemade chips with a coleslaw to die for! There were always plenty on sun loungers! The little beaches was quite cute as it was really tiny! You couldnt lay your towel out and sunbathe.. lol! You could still manage to have a little paddle though! Down the road, only 5 minutes away, was Dover Beach which was absolutely stunning! Overall, cant complain..

However.. I would agree with the previous post about Barbados doesnt live up to the hype! Everything in Barbados was really expensive! Shopping for food was expensive! As was eating out! The people wasnt as friendly as we was lead to believe! It was always a polite smile but never converstation wise! Maybe cos we was young looking they didnt have time for us! We were always approach by the young local boys though offering us drugs of all sort and aloe vera! The Gap wasnt much of a “party resort” as we was lead to believe! Compared to other “party resorts” there was only about 4 bars/clubs with about 12 restaurants maybe?! It wasnt as lively as we thought! It was a the smallest strip ever! It was poorly lit up! Felt really unsafe towards the other end of the strip by “Turtle Beach Resort”.

The only saving grace of our holiday to Barbados was the beaches and Habour Lights and our Catamaran (Silvermoon)day trip! Oh and Oistins on Friday night! Great experience at Oistins Fish Fry! The local bus trip to Bridgetown (although cheap) was scary as was Bridgetown itself! It was quite grimey! We took a cab back from Bridgetown which cost us $30 bajan dollars!

Oh.. a quick tip.. dont get your shopping from the convenience stores on the Gap strip... walk further up to Big B's on the main road.. it was much cheaper and better!

Would I go back?! Maybe one day... but not any time soon!

• Liked — The ocean view... view was priceless!
  • Disliked — No proper beach! :(
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Toronto, Ontario Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

Overall I must say that I was very disappointed with my trip to Barbados. My bf and I stayed at the Rostrevor for four days and were very disappointed. We must have stayed in the old section - a studio pool side room and it was below standard. It was dark, had no space, a lumpy bed and was definitely not worth the price.

Believe the other reviews about it getting really loud in the pool area at night, people were outside our room laughing and chatting it up till 5 AM. We didn't have AC and only had a fan so we had to keep the windows open but because we were on pool level we had to keep our curtains closed at all times which made it very dark.

Barbados calls its people some of the most friendliest people and that is a lie! I felt the staff was rude and snobby and not very helpful. When we complained that our TV didn't work they said they would have someone come in and fix it the next day but they never did. Shotty service all around - from the cleaning staff to the restaurant.

The one thing that saved this trip were the beaches. My bf is an avid body surfer and was able to catch some great waves. In our four days in Barbados we went to three beaches - Dover Beach by the Rostrevor (just ok), a beach by the Hilton (great property) and Crane Beach (amazing property). IF you are looking for great beaches then Barbados is definitely the place to go. Crane was by far the best, great for waves, sand and sun. Even though it was in the middle of no where we had a great time taking the local bus out of town to St Philip and walking down rocks to get to the strip of white sandy beach.

I would not return to the Rostrevor even if it were for FREE nor would I return to Barbados...complete waste of time!

• Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Nova Scotia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2008

We stayed at the Rostrevor for one night before picking up a cruise in Bridgetown and again one night after our cruise. Rostrevor is not a luxury hotel. It is a bit dated and sparce. We would've been pretty disappointed if this is where we were planning a romantic vacation, however, all things considered we have nothing bad to say about it.

We booked directly with the hotel via email. They were prompt to reply and easy to deal with. Check in wasn't overly speedy - but you're in the carribbean, that's par for the course. They had made golf tee times for us and arranged a taxi to pick up at the hotel. The taxi driver was friendly and was more than happy to pick us up after golf and also to take us into Bridgetown the next day to our ship. Upon check-out we were allowed to use the hospitality room that includes lots of space, a washroom and a shower. We could leave our bags there, a bit sketchy since they weren't locked up in lockers or watched by any staff, but several people had left their bags there and it seemed ok. We left our stuff both days and had no problems.

There is nothing exciting to write about the room. You do have to pay for the safe and for any phone calls. The TV is tiny and the channel selection basic (who goes to Barbados to watch tv?). The furniture is very basic but does the job. The kitchen is itty bitty and there is virtually nothing included except 2 sets of utensils, and 2 sets of dishes. The bathroom was modern and the shower pressure good. We were on the pool deck level (the cheapest rooms) and were a little shocked to find open vents to an outdoor corridor in both the bathroom and the kitchen. As a result, we heard lots of local birds early in the am and the cheerful whistling of bar staff as they passed by. However, we didn't hear a peep from the clubs across the street.

One other thing of note about the Rostrevor, are it's typical guests. When we were there - mid-February - the average age of the guests had to be over 75. Rostrevor is NOT a party hotel. The guests seem to love the place and we ran into several who had returned annually for more than a decade!

The pool is big, hardly used and cleaned daily. The deck area is clean and there are lots of deck chairs available. The ocean swimming area is pleasant, but hardly what one would call a beach. Yes there is sand and ocean, but there is hardly enough sand to put your towel down without worring it will get wet. We used it as a place to hop in and cool off. Not to worry though, a mere 5 min. stroll along the main street brings you to an amazing beach complete with food and souvenir vendors. Don't miss it. Exit the Rostrevor and turn right. You can't miss it. Along this strip you can also find two grocery stores and lots of spots to buy souvenirs.

The location, as mentioned by others, is to die for. The hotel is literally on the ocean and the sunsets are beautiful. The Gap is a vibrant and authentic feeling area. What's also nice is you feel safe walking around and are not pestered by locals for handouts. The range of clubs and eating options is wide - from high-high end to eating of a street vendor bar-b-que. The Gap is less than 20 mins on a paved, well maintained highway from Bridgetown in one direction and the airport in the other. If you're interested in a laid-back, more authentic visit to Barbados rather than a cookie cutter resort experience I highly recommend the Gap. (The Divi Southwinds looked like a nice hotel - with restaurant and afternoon steel drum band entertainment - but I'm not sure about the prices or the views from the rooms as some rooms appear to not be beach front.

In our opinion - with Rostrevor - you get what you paid for.

• Liked — Price and location.
  • Disliked — The rooms were very, very basic - not quite run down, but almost.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New, Brunswick, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2008

The location of the Rostrevor is fantastic with a million dollar view from every room but I won't be back.

I have stayed at the Rostrevor many times and am a frequent visitor to Barbados. Being a frequent visitor to Barbados i have made friends with people on the island. This hotel has one set of rules for whites and one set of rules for blacks. Friends are not allowed to have a drink with you on your patio unless they happen to be white. Talk about discrimation!

My friend had her camera stolen from her poolside deck and when she talked to the front desk they couldn't have cared less.
We know it was the security guard on duty that night that took it as he was always hanging around our decks.

I also forgot my $100 flat iron in the courtesy room upon departure and when I followed up with the hotel they didn't even have the courtesy to return my e-mail. They were always quick with returning my e-mails when making travel arrangements.

I just booked my spring vacation to Barbados and guess what...i didn't book the Rostrevor.

They will never get another penny from either myself or any of my friends and the more people I can tell the better.

Stayed November 2007
Wirral
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2008

My husband and I have just returned from staying at the Rostrevor for 2 weeks. Had a wonderful stay. The staff that cleaned our rooms and looked after us were wonderful, always on hand with fresh towels and linen. The only one tiny let down was the room safe. This decided after one week to pack in and it took 3 days for the hotel to get it working again, only to pack in again on our last day.

We would highly recommended a stay here for ANY age group. The apartments are very clean and comfortable. We stayed in the new block, in a superior ocean front studio with air con., although we didn't need to use it at all.

If you are thinking of booking, then do so direct with the apartments, its very easy and they are very professional.

• Liked — View and location
  • Disliked — The room safe
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Rostrevor Hotel? Share your experiences!