“Great Stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in St Lawrence Gap
London, United Kingdom
“Great Stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Recently back from a stay at Rostrevor Hotel. The hotel is bright, spacious and well located in St. Lawrence Gap. From our room on the fourth floor, we had an absolutely breathtaking sea view of the ocean. If staying at this hotel, you must reserve a room on floor four in order to appreciate this view.

The room was large and had most things that you need. The pool was lovely and you are literally a stone throw away from a small sandy beach.

The hotel has two restaurants on site. One casual bar/restaurant and another restaurant which serves nice food. Another plus point to this hotel is the front of house staff and security.

The location to nearby bars, restaurants and Dover beach is very good.

If I chose to stay in St. Lawrence gap again, I would definitely stay at Rostrevor!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Stockholm, Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Don’t really know how to put down this in writing but I’ll try to make it simple.
If you’re about to book you stay at the Rostrevor I do recommend you the following:
Count the money and keep track of your cash. Even if it’s in the safe someone might go into the safe and rob you. The same thing with your wallet, don’t keep it out of sight.
If you’re a mixed couple, you might have issues with some of the personnel. One of the staff in the reception, Joan, might be very rude to you and treat you in a manner that shouldn't be accepted ANYWHERE in the world.
They might also tell you then you arrive that you need to change to another room which wasn't agreed upon when you booked it.
If you come across these things, do not expect help or understanding from the manager, Robin, or people close to her, like Sonia.
Robin might decide that all off this that might happen to you is just a “fishy thing” and instead of taking care and trying to help out, she might say that you’re impolite and rude.
All this happened to me and it’s the worst place I’ve ever stayed at!!! Never again and I’ll tell everyone who’s going to book a hotel, do NOT book the Rostrevor!!!
Ok, you might be able to solve all this if you meet the right policeman and if you know some “right” people…
However, I would like to end this in a positive way. Verna in the pool bar is a very nice lady!
Good luck, hopefully you might be more lucky then me if you still decide to stay there!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Arrived at the Rostrevor Hotel complex by taxi from Grantley Adams airport, but, my driver didn't have change for a $50 dollar bill. So I popped into the hotel foyer to ask the desk clerk to exchange it for me; however, the clerk told me that he would have to charge me the same bank/base rate for changing my $50 dollar bill.

Taken aback by such utter nonsense, I was just about to take this misguided young clerk to task,
when the taxi driver managed to scrape together the change for my bank note.

I reserved a Superior Ocean Front Studio room with an AC and fan on the fourth floor.
Yet, there were no normal provisions for tea or coffee when we arrived (yet, the nearby South Gap Hotel provide these sachets when I stayed last year).

On the plus points of this hotel, our room was light and airy, the sheets and towels were changed on a daily basis; and I loved the gymnasium - which I used quite regularly -, and the odd breakfast at the hotel's Almond Tree Restaurant was very tasty, furthermore, the hotel lobby staff handed me my messages from friends and family ... overall, a poor start, but great stay!

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

I spent 10 days at Rostrevor and from the moment I arrived the service was amazing. Joan and Natalie made my experience easy and enjoyable.
The rooms were exactly how they are portrayed on the website. They were clean spacious and well equipped.
The location was excellent as it is located in the middle of the busy lively St Lawrence's gap. Considering the location on the evenings we didn't venture out we couldn't hear a single thing from the strip.

The bar leaves at lot to be desired but considering you have numerous watering holes and restaurants on your doorstep it didn't matter at all.

Overall I wouldn't definitely recommend this hotel and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again!

• Stayed August 2013
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We spent a wonderful day at the Rostrevor Hotel. The room was a very nice size, well decorated, and clean. The bathroom and kitchen were perfect for my family and made it easy to have treats at the ready. Our room was on the first floor and had a door to a patio area and easy access to the pool and beach. I loved the water in St. Lawrence Gap, perfect blue waves. I could walk out quite a ways and the water didn't go above my chest. The pool was crystal clear and there was a sweet little café/bar for lunchtime snacks and drinks. Wish I could go back tomorrow!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the first floor. Having direct access to the pool area and beach made it so easy...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Rostrevor in 2010 and were so impressed that we decided to return this year. The customer service we received prior to staying (from Jennifer) was excellent, making sure we had the same room as last time, letting me know about upgrade options, helping to make sure I had a yoga mat to use and letting me know an old friend had re-opened his bar.

A few weeks before visiting, we decided to marry whilst on the island, and again felt very taken care of.

The stay itself was great. We changed rooms after one night when we realised that the rooms in the deluxe wing may help a little with soundproofing (The Gap is great for restaurants and bars but is loud at night, rooms positioned behind elevators and in the deluxe wing are quieter, and having the aircon on or the balcony door (high floor in new block only) open at night hides the noise.

The rooms are incredibly clean and well appointed, and the pool area and beach access are fantastic. The addition of some cushioned sun beds is great. We had breakfast at the Almond Tree a few times, enjoying the flying fish, and otherwise had plenty room to prepare food ourselves (there is a convenience store very close by, and a couple of big supermarkets not far off).

The staff, including housekeeping, were all helpful and friendly at all times. We were delighted to find that, on our wedding day, the hotel had called the Harlequin restaurant where we were having our evening meal to make sure we were well looked after - we really were!

The addition of a gym, laundry and hospitality room in the recent refurb are welcome, and we used all three.

We were travelling on to Montserrat and Antigua and planned to return to the hotel for a few hours in our way home, so they kindly agreed to look after a couple of bags so we didn't need to keep our wedding clothes with us. When our flight from Antigua was delayed Jennifer made sure a room was saved for us to use on an unplanned extra night - we were so lucky to come back to somewhere we were happy after a stressful day dealing with Liat!

I'm so grateful to the staff at the Rostrevor for making us feel so at home for our wedding, I hope we'll be back one day.

• Stayed July 2013
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I stayed at The Rostrevor with my girlfriend the first week of July in room 517. I paid about $95 US a night and was very happy with that. The hotel is very clean. It is convenient to nightlife and to bus routes as well as to beaches and restaurants. The pool is nice, the beach is small but satisfying, and the room was everything we could have hoped for; it included free wireless, free parking, a small restaurant, a great view of the ocean, a nice kitchenette, cold AC, and a clean shower with plenty of hot water.

There were not many people staying at the hotel in early July; I do not know how the hotel staff performs during high season. So you can put my review in perspective, I'm not overly picky, nor do I accept surly service or unclean rooms. Some folks have higher standards than I do, some lower. Whatever your requirements, I believe you will be satisfied with the Rostrevor; it is clean, well-run and close to many attractions, but it is not the Hilton. Of course, you won't get a Hilton-sized bill, either. The Rostrevor is one of many hotels on the island designed to serve tourists; I would say it is on the higher end of that scale.

During my stay in early July the island was not packed with tourists; it might be a much different place and vibe during the high season.

The Rostrevor is in The Gap, one of Barbados' main tourist/entertainment areas. Restaurants and nightclubs in The Gap can be very loud, so if you are a light sleeper, The Gap might not be the place for you to stay.

Barbados in general is very safe, clean and well-developed. You can drink the tap water (although our travel nurse advised against it) and the food is safe. They have right-hand drive cars and they drive on the left, so unless you are familiar with that style of driving (few Americans are) it is best to take buses, taxis and the privately-owned and very inexpensive -- but often packed with people -- Zed-R vans, the primary mode of transportation for Barbadians without cars.

The exchange rate is two Barbadian dollars for one US dollar, and the American dollar is readily accepted throughout the island.

You will enjoy your stay in Barbados, which is only a few hours away by air from Miami (the airport is surprisingly large and full of stores and restaurants).

There is a lot to do considering the size of the island and the population. There are a number of very professional museums in Barbados, and a nice, clean chain of fast-food shops called Chefette's throughout the island.

Barbadians are courteous, physically attractive, friendly but not overly so, and justifiably proud of their stable governance and safe environment. They are happy you are there and like that you have come to their country and are spending money, but they aren't going to fall all over you in welcoming you and they aren't going to be especially impressed that you are an American. They are quite British (in other words, reserved) in that regard (indeed, the island is sometimes known as "Little England").

Because most goods must be imported, it is not especially cheap in Barbados, but it is not exorbitantly expensive, either.

Some of the websites I found especially helpful in preparing for the trip were VisitBarbados.org and BarbadosPocketGuide.com

I'll be traveling to Barbados regularly from now on, and fully intend to stay at the Rostrevor when I do.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Rostrevor? Share your experiences!