“Yellow Bird and The Gap” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Yellow Bird Hotel

You added Yellow Bird Hotel to your Saves list
Yellow Bird Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   St. Lawrence Gap | Christ Church, St Lawrence Gap BB15018, Barbados   |
Special Offer
Early Booking Offer
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in St Lawrence Gap
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ottawa, Canada
“Yellow Bird and The Gap”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

just got back from staying at the Yellow Bird Hotel in the Gap.Had such a good time at this hotel.The people were amazing and looked after us so well.
We spent most of our time at Hastings Beach 2 minute walk just outstanding.
Carib bar has great food on the beach at reasonable prices.
A must is the Silver moon day cruise. $115/person for the best day on the sea. Includes all snorkeling with turtles an ship wreck. Great lunch on beach
Cafe sl great fun place to party next to hotel, Oistens also for fish fry on Friday but if you dont like crowds go Monday to Thursday all kiosks are open and entertainment is the same. The best booth I found was Uncle George's Really great food at cheap price Bring a doggie bag you wont eat it all.
Two other must try places are Trini Doubles by the Shell Station and Big B,s grocery and the best find was Shutters very casual and cheap You will need to make an reservation at lease week ahead. Yea that good!!
The Gap area isa great place to be.
Thanks to Yellow Bird and Lonnie at Moon Bay resteraunt at the Bird.
Phil

Room Tip: All rooms are very good. o elevator so I took room on 2nd floor
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
GeetaChatrani, Owner at Yellow Bird Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
I'm happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and had a great holiday. Thanks for the compliments for the hotel and restaurant staff. They really try their best to make sure our guests enjoy their stay with us and it is nice when our guests take the time to say they did a good job.

I'm glad also that you got to experience so many different things in Barbados. It is a lovely island and I am sure your review will convince people from all over the world to visit our shores!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Farnham Royal, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

We came to Barbados for New Years Eve and I really could not believe that such a good hotel was still available when we were booking the trip. It is located at the beginning of 'the Gap' (St Lawrence Gap) - THE best place for laid back night fun. Opposite THE best place for frozen margharitas. And if you get the suite on the ground floor - you have 3 steps to the small swimming pool, kitchenette and a very sizeable room. Plus the amazing staff - very helpful and extremely nice. The only negative are the drinks in the hotel bar - although this is a separate company. Plus you really need to walk 4 more steps for the best margheritas on the island. So really no harm done :)

Room Tip: Room 1 (ground floor)
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
GeetaChatrani, Owner at Yellow Bird Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
What a cheerful review! Thanks for taking the time to write it. I'm so glad you were able to get a room at our hotel in one of the busiest times of the year. Yes our hotel is small so it's very quick and easy to navigate. I've stayed in large hotels and by the time I figured out where everything was, it was time to check out!

So glad that you enjoyed our location, our facilities and our amazing staff. St. Lawrence Gap is really a great place to stay if you want to sample many different cuisines. Our local food is delicious but not everyone wants to eat the same food every night.

I noted your comments about the drinks at the bar and have forwarded a copy of your review to the management of Moonbay. It would be great if you could contact them directly or via the hotel and give some feedback on what was negative about the drinks they offer. Your suggestions are most welcome.

I hope that you will stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back.
Leeds UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

The Yellow Bird is an excellent small holiday hotel with all the staff being very friendly and helpful , we have been staying at the Yellow Bird for for last 10 to 12 years , its location is great with beaches just yards away also within the reef which runs approx 200 yards off along the beach you don't need to go swimming with the sea turtles they come and swim with you !! and being at the start of St Lawrence Gap plenty of choice re eating and entertainment because of location only small amount of late night noise.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hi Dick & Tracey

Thanks for the lovely review. It's so nice when our staunch repeaters take the time to share their experience with the Tripadvisor community. I am pleased to read that once again you enjoyed your stay with us.

Many of my guests tell me about the turtles in our bay but unfortunately I have never seen any. I guess if I want to swim with them then I should put on a swimsuit and go into the water :)

Looking forward to welcoming you both back to the Yellow Bird next year!
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

to leave the frigid weather and within a few hours be sitting on your balcony watching the sunset across the street. Yellow Bird Hotel is NOT a 5 star. It IS a lovely, clean hotel in the St Lawrence Gap with several rooms recently redecorated and the rest to be completed this year. Each room has a kitchen and ALL have the million dollar view. Very clean pool, great restaurant and bar and most importantly, staff that are friendly and helpful. I am planning to return next year.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the 2 bedroom apartments. We each had our own bathroom and the living/dining ro...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
I am thankful that you took the time to write a review of your stay with us. You are so right - we are not a five star hotel but we do have a five star view and a five star staff. The response to our newer rooms has been so good that we are planning to go ahead and renovate some more. At the moment we are working on arranging this but no final dates have been decided as yet.

Looking forward to welcoming you again next year and if you do plan to come in Jan or Feb book early as this period is already selling very quickly.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

The hotel was clean, comfortable and reasonably priced (relatively). The staff were very friendly and helpful. Our large (typical) room had 2 double beds, a terrace overlooking a beautiful Caribbean bay, a small adequate kitchenette and a bathroom big enough for the 2 of us. The bar and restaurant were fine but not used as much as I would have expected. We preferred a drink on the outside terrace near the pool anyway.

It's true that some of the hotel decor was a little tired but we never spend too much time in the room so this isn't one of our concerns. If you want luxurious accommodation, then I suggest you go elsewhere and pay a lot more.

The location is perfect for beaches (one 30 feet across the road - when they finish repairing the pavement).....Sandy beach is 5 mins to the right (North) and Dover beach is to the left, about 10 mins through the Gap. There were a wide variety of restaurants (many of which doubled as bars) within gentle walking distance. Some provided live music. Buses to Bridgetown or Oistins operate frequently, stopping just around the corner.

Great location for couples and friends. I wouldn't recommend for families with young children as it can be very noisy - especially on weekend nights - but hardly surprising given the surroundings.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: It seemed that the shape of the hotel meant that all rooms were probably the same. The access corrid...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
GeetaChatrani, Owner at Yellow Bird Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
I'd like to thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review as it does give a true picture of what we offer. It was great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated our location and facilities. I'm happy to read that you would stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
Ruidoso, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I was impressed with this being the #2 rated hotel in St. Lawrence Gap, but what a shock. The employees are friendly and go out of their way in an attempt to see that you are happy. BUT, this place has really seen better days and that was a long time ago. We really like a firm bed but this bed seemed like it has a sheet of plywood right under the mattress. The air conditioner will work if you give it all day to cool the room. The music from the multitude of clubs, bars, and restaurants is loud and goes most of the night. There is no shutting it out so if you a good night's rest, think again.

There is a really clean pool and your individual patio has a nice view, but there is NO beach as you may tend to think.

I would not even consider staying her again.

Room Tip: I am sorry but I do not think there is a good room unless it is on a high floor with a little better...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
I'm happy to read that you found our staff friendly and appreciated that they do go out of their way to ensure that our guests have a great holiday. Glad also that you liked our pool and the view from our patios. Unfortunately you didn't like our location. That's really something we can't help. It's funny how many of our guests come back because of our location. I guess it's just a matter of personal choice.

Re the a/c unit, did you report it to front desk? Our maintenance staff come in 7 days a week and once a complaint is made, our guys are amazing at getting the problem resolved. And if the a/c issue is beyond their scope of expertise, we do have a professional company on call that will come in at short notice, even on weekends and bank holidays. Re the bed, I am sorry you found the mattress uncomfortable.

I'm also sorry you have decided you won't stay with us again. Please do come back to Barbados again. I am sure you will find another hotel that will meet your expectations.
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

The staff was very friendly. We had a few small problems with our room upon arrival (bathroom light was out and the refrigerator had defrosted), but they resolved them almost immediately. The view was fantastic and we loved the location. My wife and I are active, so we did not spend much time during the day at the hotel, but it was walking distance to two great beaches and had easy access to the buses for exploring other locations. The desk clerk was great help in giving us recommendations and helping us find our way around. If we come back to Barbados, we'd stay there again without question.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
GeetaChatrani, Owner at Yellow Bird Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and would definitely stay with us again. Thanks for sharing your Yellow Bird experience with the Tripadvisor community :)

My apologies about the bathroom light and the defrosting fridge. With only 17 studios and suites and many sold out nights, sometimes it is hard for housekeeping and maintenance to make sure everything is perfect before our guests check in but they do try very hard. I am pleased that the two issues were resolved almost immediately.

I'm glad your liked our location and that the front desk staff were able to give you helpful tips. We hope to see you again soon - please come again!

Been to Yellow Bird Hotel? Share your experiences!