“Superb Soco” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Hastings
London, United Kingdom
“Superb Soco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is without doubt a beautiful hotel. I had the best time and definitely want to go back - which I don't often do

Location is great. The beach is stunning and the boardwalk offers great morning walks and good people watching. The main road is a little noisy but even that doesn't ruin it because you spend most time out back relaxing around the very luxurious pool area.

The rooms are beautiful, with stunning sea views and the best beds I've ever slept in.

The food is delicious. No buffets here. Always fresh and beautifully prepared. My only request would be more variety on the menu but so many people gave this feedback to the staff, I have no doubt this change has been made already.

The staff, without question are what make this place. They work so hard and long hours but are always friendly, accommodating and go above and beyond. Their friendliness was infectious and it spread, making everyone chatty, friendly and very happy. I've never experienced an environment like it on holiday. They have something very special there. I Must mention to the bar staff. Absolutely incredible and sent me home with a massive addition to rum!

I honestly couldn't recommend this hotel more. Slightly begrudgingly to be honest because I'd like to keep it all to myself !

Go! Book now. It's amazing.

• Stayed June 2013
S_C_Caribbean, Public Relations Manager at The SoCo Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review - we are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We truly appreciate the positive feedback and are happy that our hotel and staff was so accommodating. I'm sure you would be pleased to know that we are now changing the menu twice a week, so there are more options available. Once again thank you and we hope you visit us again soon!!

Regards,
Management
The SoCo Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is really well located right on the edge of the board walk with unspoilt sea views and even turtles floating past to say hi. On arrival I was not impressed with the front of the hotel on a busy main road with some run down buildings but once in the hotel it is a little oasis.
The are not enough sun loungers and some small teething problems but don't let this put you off. We hired a mini moke for three days which the staff booked for us and really enjoyed exiting the island but we were always pleased to return to the hotel pool and bar in the evening! There are a few places worth visting if you gave a car: pistons fish fry on Friday and Miami beach right next to it. The crane for gospel breakfast on Sunday am and the crane beach (you need to book). St Nicholas abbey and the north of the island an cherry tree hill with its amazing view of the Atlantic coast and finally Mullins bay on the Caribbean coast perfect beach to relax and hire sun loungers. Would definately come again love the Island and the people!

• Stayed July 2013
Derby, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Arrived yesterday. Nice small hotel at Western end of boardwalk. Very pleasant staff - can't do enough for you. Rooms excellent with lovely view over the sea, though traffic noise is noticeable. If you are a sun worshipped you may be disappointed as sun beds are limited and all had towels on them by 7am this morning. I believe more are on order. Food at dinner was excellent, but choice was limited, and if the menu does not change, as reported, I would think we will go out a few nights for some variety. Breakfast was very good and there is enough choice for us there. So far so good, but they do have bait to go if they want 5* reviews. I will review again when we return home, but if you want to ask me anything, feel free.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Wiltshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

On arriving at the hotel we were impressed with the attentive staff, we didn't have to show any form of ID or booking which I found a bit strange.
We were shown to our room & it wasn't what we had booked, it was the bigger deluxe room! 2 welcome cocktails were bought to our room which was a nice touch.

My partner went to reception to sort out the wifi & when he gave the room number they said they didn't have a booking for us. They had been expecting only 1 arrival & assumed we were them.
The hotel had confirmed the booking with the provider we booked with but obviously hadn't booked us in! We had already unpacked so they said we could stay & they would move the other customers next door to their sister hotel.
We had to move rooms 5 days later, the 2nd room, a standard SoCo room was exactly the same just a tiny bit smaller. I wouldn't pay the extra for the deluxe if only 2 people staying.

The rooms are lovely, exactly as you see in the photos. Very clean & fresh modern interiors. The shower was really nice, good pressure & hot which you don't always get abroad. The bed was king size & very comfortable. There is a satellite flat screen tv which has lots of US channels.
The best bit about the room is the view, it is absolutely gorgeous & every room has a balcony facing the sea.

We noticed that there wasn't any information in the rooms with regards to hotel amenities or dining times so we asked at reception. On our last day a welcome pack was given to us, bit too late by then!

Negatives would be the wifi, its free but each time you stop browsing you have to re-log in, it doesn't keep you logged in & the signal didn't work for us in either room only on the balcony & by the pool.
The noise from the road outside is also very loud as all room doors face the road.

On the website it states there are tea & coffee making facilities in each room but we didn't have those in either the 2 rooms we stayed in.

Now, the big issue, sun loungers!! As other reviewers mentioned they are few & far between. There were 10 poolside & 6 on the beach for a hotel that at full occupancy (as it was the week we stayed) will have 48+ guests. They need to triple this amount both poolside & on the beach.
Near the end of the week a few extra beds were put out making it 15 poolside & 8 on the beach.
I woke very early one day, before sunrise, looked outside & all the beds had been reserved with towels!
We were lucky to get beds on the beach the first few days but there is no shade, no umbrellas & the management started taking towels off the pool loungers if people hadn't been there within an hour so we were able to use those. It really does need to be addressed.

The food- cannot fault the quality of the food at all & the presentation was brilliant BUT we had the same a la carte menu for 7 days straight! That's 2 soups/salads & about 5/6 main courses along with 3 desserts for dinner.
We ate out 3 evenings as could not bear being in the restaurant looking at the same menu!! Not everyone will like all the main meal options so you could be stuck with the same meal for a whole week! It was the same with breakfast & lunch although we enjoyed those menu's more. They should alternate the menus daily or every 2 days to keep it varied.
Would recommend Champers restaurant & Tapas along the boardwalk.

The staff are great, the waitresses/waiters work very hard as do the pool bar staff, the drinks were very good.

The hotel is trying to bring Miami to Barbados, we recently stayed at the Mondrian in South Beach which is a fantastic 5* hotel, they should stay there & see how its done!

I understand the hotel hasn't been open very long so there will be teething problems, for the price we paid, around half of what most did for the week we made the most of it but if we had paid full price or anything over what we did we would have been disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at SoCo. We are delighted to know that you were pleased with the staff, rooms and the quality of food provided. We do, however, apologise for any issues with the hotel booking and wifi connection you experienced - we are taking the time to iron out these hiccups that we are experiencing in this early opening phase. We have also acknowledged recent concern about the availability of sun loungers and we wish to assure you that we have taken effective steps to rectify the problem, as it is a matter of urgency. A small number of our loungers were on island at the time, however, an order for additional loungers has been placed and we are awaiting delivery from overseas. It is important to note, the number of loungers on the pool deck will be restricted by its physical size, but a lovely white sand beach is a few steps away from the pool deck and can accommodate many guests. We are sorry that your first experience with SoCo was merely satisfactory but we encourage you to give us another try! Once again thank you for your feed back and we hope to see you in the near future.

Warm regards,
Management
Northampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed at The SoCo Hotel earlier this month. We had read all the wonderful reviews but still held reservations due to its newness. The room we had on the ground floor was well located everything being on this level, bar, pool, restaurant. It also made it easy to get a poolside lounger albeit that you need to set your alarm for 5am, I am convinced some people put towels out the night before. Not sure how you can overcome this, while you only have 24 rooms max. 50 people you only have 10/12 poolside loungers with a further 6 on the beach. Lots of other rattan style furniture cluttering the rest of the area.
The rooms are of a reasonable size albeit a bit busy with furniture you do not really need. A large ‘dressing table’ with built in fridge housing and unfortunately no fridge or tea/coffee making equipment.
The bathroom again was of good size including air dryer, unfortunately the shower adjuster came away in my hand, this was fixed the following day. We also had issues with water seeping from the base of the toilet pan this went on for a couple of days, not sure it was ever really fixed as we departed.
The bar staff, Michele, Irleen and Felix are the best part of the hotel, all of them being chatty and prepared to try different cocktails as requested, premium brands are not included despite being advertised by our travel agent.
I have recently read other reviews raving over the chef, yes the food he prepares is of good quality and is consistent i.e. the same every day. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. We did have slight amendments over a 10 day period but they were minimal. We then come to the restaurant serving staff, this is laughable or you would cry, we were expecting a somewhat laid back approach but not quite this. The 2 guys in the restaurant did everything they could to avoid doing anything useful. The girls tried very hard but without any guidance or system it normally went wrong at every sitting despite on occasions only 6 or 8 people in the restaurant. The breakfast menu was the same all the time we were there the only difference being you sometimes did not get a) what you ordered and b) what the menu said. The lunch menu stayed the same for almost the whole stay. I hate to say I had the burger most days even these varied day by day. The dinner menu changed after 1 week of our stay and mostly had a special of some description although this was not every day. One day we had 4 different specials. The quantities however appeared to get smaller and smaller as time went on. Not being a great vegetable eater I rather enjoyed the fact you did not get a plate full of vegetables but even I expected some. The chef may be brilliant but one day I had Lamb shank which came with a dark mess which could have been gravy but I think was supposed to be liquidised aubergine, that was all that was on the plate, other days were not much different.
Location wise the hotel is brilliant. From the rear you have easy access to the boardwalk, which is used by strollers and keep fit fans day and night, this gives a nice walk towards Accra beach although some of the buildings around leave a bit to be desired.
One recommendation is to hire a car, we had one for three days which worked out as cheaper as 2 people doing the island tour. We managed to get hopelessly lost on the north of the island but eventually found our way out. You have to have the ‘mini moke’ vehicle we had a bright yellow one with no doors and a roof that was held on with press studs, easily removed but not so good if the rains start but all part of the fun. Other vehicles appear to be much the same price and come with doors and air con.
One of our discussions during early evening decided that if we had been blindfolded and put into this hotel we would be hard to identify exactly what part of the world we were in, nothing in the hotel gave the impression of being in the Caribbean, in particular the menu.
Fundamentally we had a good time, would not consider a return but would be interested to see how things are in 12 mths.

Room Tip: Get a room on the ground floor, only problem there are only 2
essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a two week stay at the SoCo Hotel. We had a good time, largely due to the supreme efforts of the wonderful staff there. I must mention by name the Executive Chef, Andrew Jean who is a genius with food. He has trained extensively in many different countries around the world, and this expertise he has acquired sings out at you in every dish he prepares. Lets hope that the SoCo suits him, because it would be extremely difficult to replace this young man and he is pivotal in the success of the place, the food is consistently faultless and watching him prepare the dishes and supervise his busy kitchen is a great way to enjoy your evening! Next I will mention the fantastic bar staff, and most noticeable in her work is Michele, the master Bartender, with her cocktails bible and constantly cheerful and welcoming personality - truly we never saw her any other way than happy and gregarious - even at 6 am when she starts work setting up the bar for the day - one amazing person she is! Her colleagues Irleen and Felix are also skilled bartenders and line up drinks for you before you have the chance to run dry! They all make the bar a nice cosy place to stand and chat, and as the evenings draw on - the conversation gets louder and more lively - all part of the fun though you understand, and always a good place to drop by. And now to the rooms - they are all well decorated and comfortable, the style is sort of Art deco meets Italian minimalist - we had one of the slightly larger rooms - but the standard size is only fractionally smaller and so I wouldnt feel inclined to splash out on an upgrade if I returned there. The building itself when first approached from the busy noisy street where it lies is to say the least underwhelming - my heart sank when I first saw the place, its got the look of some old people's apartments, not a buzzing beachside hotel, but if you ignore this and press on your determination will be rewarded. Our greeting was a bit confusing - the young man who met us seemed flustered and unsure of the procedure - but we put this down to being new (the hotel and him too). He gave us a drink and cold towels perfumed with peppermint - and then showed us our room. He told us that the meals were served "at the usual times" -bit vague, but fortunately other staff at the bar were a bit more clued up and told us the correct
timings - I wonder why mealtimes are not displayed somewhere?? People tend to hang about at the bar waitiing to see if others are admitted to the dining room when mealtimes arrive, bit peculiar but hey ho. The beach is down six or seven steps from the pool deck and it is stunning - all rooms have an excellent sea view (another reason not to splash out on an upgrade). The hotel is situated at the end of the boardwalk where if you are up early or at a loose end at dusk you can watch keep fit fans doing their stuff every night and morning. Indeed I joined them a few times - when in Rome... The only fly in the ointment at this place is the fact that the furniture seems to have been ordered and placed by someone with no grasp of basic ergonomics - masses of lounge type furniture scattered around the pool deck and sunbeds in pitifully short supply - this causes holidaymakers to rise at silly oclock , sometimes 4 am, to reserve a bed with a towel - causing lots of doorslamming and disturbance for the more sane guests still trying to sleep. The owner, Mr Taylor needs to acknowledge that all inclusive guests tend to want to stay close to their base and sunbathe rather than disappearing for the whole day and returning in the evening and furnish the place accordingly - those that wish to sunbathe are vying for the use of 9 sunbeds with mattresses ( three broke and so the original 12 were depleted and not replaced). There are some other more basic and less comfortable beds available for the beach - but the most I ever saw of those was 8. For a 24/26 double room hotel this just is not enough. Mr Taylor said that more beds are on order but this will take a while because they are imported from elsewhere. Another guest told me that he felt that this one issue alone would deter him from returning the SoCo - I can see his point. Even more exasperating is the miraculous conjuring of extra beds when these are requested by the Owner's spouse - thus snubbing paying guests - sort it out. All in all this is a lovely place, but there are some glitches to be worked on - lets hope they get ironed out.

Room Tip: all rooms equally nice - the supplement for a feet more space in the deluxe rooms is not worth it
Wylye
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We spent a week at the fabulous SoCo Hotel in early June. We have always avoided all-inclusive deals (and indeed package holidays) as part of our holiday fun is eating out, however, if all all-inclusive holidays were like this, we would always go AI. From the moment we set foot in reception we were looked after well but not intrusively. All staff were friendly and helpful and genuinely wanted feedback on our experience. Our room was large and furnished tastefully, the air-con was excellent. We slept well in the really comfy beds and woke refreshed. The hotel, being very recently opened, is having some teething problems. For instance, they are still awaiting the fridges for the rooms. We had a problem with our shower initially as it ran hot, hotter or extremely hot. We reported it and it was fixed within the hour. as this is a small hotel it was easy to get to know other guests, we found that most people felt liked us and thoroughly enjoyed their experience, in fact several were extending their stay, it was such a shame we couldn't. On our third night at the hotel we were invited to a cocktail party along with all the other guests, The owner of the hotel was there and very interested in everyone's views on the place and if there was anything they could improve on. It was a 'can do' place where the guests really did come first.
We always reckon that it takes us a good week to unwind on holiday but here we were totally relaxed from day 2. We would dearly love to go back as we had a truly wonderful break. I must thank Michelle, Arlene and Felix who kept us fuelled with liquid refreshments all day. In fact all staff are thanked as they all helped make our holiday. Well done Soco, you have a great future.

Room Tip: We had an end room, 208, and I think they are bigger. The views from the balcony are brilliant. I...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The SoCo Hotel? Share your experiences!