“Seven-course gourmet evenings at a bargain price on Fridays” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Muscovado Restaurant

Muscovado Restaurant
Hospitality Institute - Barbados Community College | Marine Gardens, Hastings, Barbados
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 33 Restaurants in Hastings
Cuisines: Continental
London, United Kingdom
“Seven-course gourmet evenings at a bargain price on Fridays”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I did quite a lot of research on Barbados before my trip - including trawling through all the restaurant reviews - and yet I had never seen this place mentioned anywhere. I am guessing this the case for most people seeing as I appear to be the first reviewer.

The Muscovado restaurant is situated in a lovely little hotel called the PomMarine in Marine gardens, Hastings. It is run by the Hospitality Institute at Barbados Community College, and on Friday evenings it is their students who cook, serve and mix the drinks - under supervision from instructors who are always close at hand to ensure everything is done to a high standard.

The menu is a set seven courses for the bargain price of BD$75 per person. Our bill ended up at just over BD$200 for two people (seven course dinner, plus a bottle of wine and service charge), which really is a steal for what you get.

Allow plenty of time for the experience. It took us about 2 ½ hours to get through the meal. Please also bear in mind that this is a teaching facility. I mention this only because I saw a couple of customers when we were there yesterday who quite frankly annoyed me with their attitude towards their waitress. The service can be a bit slow at times, and the students may sometimes need help from an instructor to answer questions about the wine etc - but overall I think they did a fabulous job. The food is VERY good quality and the price is unbeatable.

The restaurant manager and head chef both came out during the evening and stopped by all tables for a quick chat to ensure that everything about the food and service had been satisfactory. A very nice touch.

The only thing I would mention is for people to enquire about what the set menu is when making a reservation if you are particular about type of cuisine. We found out about this place through that 2013 Barbados Restaurant Guide magazine you can find at most hotels, which featured four menu samples. All of those set menus were a mix of Modern European/Caribbean so that was what we expected - and ended up a bit disappointed to find out that the theme and actual menu for the evening was all Chinese. As it turns out they sometimes do a couple of weeks of themed evenings to let the students try different cuisines (Chinese, Caribbean, Italian etc).

Don't get me wrong - the food was still very good (especially the pancakes with azuki-bean paste and pink peppercorn ice cream), but had we known we probably would have picked the week after instead as Chinese is not really our favourite cuisine. I guess this is also why I have given this a four star rating rather than five.

As the gourmet evening is only on Fridays some people probably miss it as Fridays are usually when people head over to the fish fry in Oistins (which also should be a must on your "to-do" list while in Barbados) - but if you have more than one week, I would highly recommend trying Muscovado.

• Visited March 2013