“Pretty” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sugar Bay Barbados

You added Sugar Bay Barbados to your Saves list
Sugar Bay Barbados
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Garrison Historic Area, Hastings, Barbados (Formerly Amaryllis Beach Resort)   |
Chaguanas, Trinidad
“Pretty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2015

It was a nice hotel.......we got the room at a reasonable price as it was off season. The pool needed a bit of a cleaning but overall it was always clean. The food was ok.........nothing spectacular. The one thing that was fantastic was hoe close the beach was.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2015

The hotel was old and obvious that the owner didn't upkeep! Nice to know it's being refurbished because for the price....it was a complete waste of money....the only saving grace was the beach was literally 100 feet...what a view!! The locals are beautiful and kind people who always had a smile for you......LOVE BARBADOS.........THE BEAUTY IS WORTH ANY CRAPPY HOTEL. I will return to this beautiful island with beautiful people!

Room Tip: Wifi completely sucked!! Some if us have to work while we are vacationing. Internet speed was terrib...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2015

My husband and I have stayed at this hotel when it was the Asta many moons ago! Four times I think, and we loved it. Anyway, after its refurb and reopening in 2006 we stayed there again ...... worst thing we ever did, surly staff, paid you attention if you flash your money etc, etc, general security dodgy (and that is from our own experience - not gossip). The beach is lovely and the lagoon! (or it was). Anyway, I believe the Bougainvillea Hotel in Christ Church has taken this over (only what I have heard, so I could be wrong). Knowing the Bougainvillea it will be a lovely hotel once again, just needs new staff.

Room Tip: If you know the number of a good room from other visitors experience, ask for it!!!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2014

Stayed at the Amaryllis Beach Resort in April/May 2014.
Good beach front location although sea bed rocky for swimmers.
Hotel in need of updating and refurbishment.
Hotel at bottom of the hill near The Garrison Savannah, steep walk up to the road.
Good location for The Garrison Savannah, Carlisle Bay and Bridgetown
First room I was given in my opinion was not very clean, grotty, looked out at eye level
on people in Turtle Nest Pool. Window and curtains hard to operate/did not close.
Second room on 3rd floor had beautiful sea/beach view. Room desperate need of updating.
Air con broken and made awful noise and dripped on bedside cabinet. Bathroom very compact
needed updating and bathroom extractor fan which came on with light made horrendous noise, this was a problem in other rooms too as you could hear them rumbling through the walls.
Good bed and linen.
Internet kiosk ( computer set up in library/information area) Had to be paid for at reception but access codes didn't work.
Food standards varied from very good to poor. Bar/Restaurant service hit and miss.

When I was in Barbados Nov/Dec 2014 walked passed Hotel and saw all closed up.

Was told by good source:
Hotel has been taken over by a (Good 4*) Hotel located on South Coast. It was hoped to operate Amaryllis in present condition but found in need of more work than expected so has decided to Close Hotel for Refurbishment and then reopen.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Berkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my partner in February of this year. We opted to pay the extra for a sea view. We are so happy we did, the view we had was fantastic! The best sea view I've ever had and I've stayed at a lot of hotels in the Caribbean!
The hotel overall could do with some updating. The bathroom was pretty tired & so was the kitchen. Saying that though it was very adequate for what we needed. We stayed at the hotel on a room only basis so it suited us fine as we were always eating out. There was the kitchen available though so that was handy for making a snack.
The hotel pool was very cold as it was mainly in the shade so we didn't really use it. However there is a lovely hot tub which we used a lot.
The hotel staff were always very friendly and very helpful - they helped my partner arrange a surprise evening at Sandy Lane hotel for my Birthday!
We hired a car and drove around the whole island on one of the days. We drove to the East coast to watch the sun come up - that was truly amazing!
We also visited the burnt down/derelict Sam Lord's Castle. I'd stayed at that hotel when I was 8 years old 21 years ago so it was so strange and quite sad to see it the way it is now as it was a fantastic hotel at the time.
Overall we had a great holiday & would definitely go back to Barbados. This hotel was very good value for money so if you are looking for a good base for exploring the island, this is your answer.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a sea view room on the second or third floor.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2014

This hotel is located in one of the best spots to Bridgetown and to the action of the South. The service is average or a little however it can do with some make over TLC in the rooms... Lots of potential!

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Epsom, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

we are a couple from England aged 52 we stayed here in April 2014 all inclusive the location is stunning right on the beech and we had a sea view which makes this hotel so special you are right on the beech, the ground floor rooms would not be so good as you would be looking at the palm trees and sand so try to get upper floors.
The rooms were fine very clean air con a bit noisy and you have to pay for the safe in the room however its just part of the hotel cost so no problems.

Food on the A/I was of a very high standard with set three coarse meals and Buffett on some days, we found the food very good and you are able to see some dishes being cooked for you.

On the A/I the drinks were free including cocktails which were very nice we managed to work our way though all of them over two weeks. There was only one bar open when we were there which was the one at the end of the restaurant by the beech which was fine the service was fast and very friendly we left after two weeks feeling like we had loads of new friends.
The Hotel has lovely gardens to walk in and the beech right on the grounds, there are rocks making a barrier out in the bay so you can swim with children in a nice lagoon environment.
We travelled around on the local buses for 2 dollars its about 5 minutes into Bridgetown.
Location is first class hotel is very clean staff are helpful I would be happy to tell my friends to stay there and I would probable go there again even though I don't go back to the same place twice as I like to try new places.
A lovely little hotel in a lovely place

Room Tip: higher sea view rooms are nicer A/I was good value
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Sugar Bay Barbados? Share your experiences!