“Loved it !” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 6 hotels in Hastings
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Loved it !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We have just returned from a visit to the West Indies and stayed twice at this hotel before and after a cruise. We had read very mixed reviews so were somewhat apprehensive about what we would find. We generally stay at Marriott venues which are always five star with prices to match, if you stay here you will not get five star accommodation but what you will get is the warmest of welcomes, a superb private beach with no traders pestering you, a room that is clean, comfortable with all the facilities you need although the bathrooms are in dire need of refurbishment. The staff appear at first to be a bit dour but engage them in conversation and they are all delightful. friendly and give you a very personal touch, remembering who you are and what you like. All the other guests we met were friendly and interesting and the small bars are ideals for meetings at happy hour. The Amaryllis is very near to Bridgetown, five minutes by bus and costs two dollars and St Lawrence Gap, also costs two dollars, if fact it's two dollars to go anywhere and the buses are fun ! We came away from here with a definite feel good fact and will return next year when the cricket is on and also to shop as the prices are well below what you normally expect to pay so take a half full case !

Room Tip: ask for an ocean view. spectacular view to wake up to !
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

602 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

After a very long flight we were looking forward to getting to our room for a freshen up and change. Check in however was slow and disorganised which did not get us off to a good start.

Room was ok. Not as band box clean as i like and clearly in need of some TLC. This unforunatly seemd the main problem all over for this Hotel. No one really seemed to care. Service was not bad but just very flat. Food was average especially considering the price.

Beach was nice but that was about all I can recommend. Barbados was beautiful but I would not return to this Hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Long flight and just wanted to get to the room asap to freshen up but check in was very slow and not a particularly welcoming one.

Room was ok but in serious need of some tlc.

Breakfast was poor and we did nit eat there in the evening as selection was not great for the money. Better choices elsewhere.

Beach was very nice but the rest of the property was a bit lack lustre and felt like no one really cared. Not bad service but not great or particularly warm.

Had a nice week but would not recommend and would not return to this Hotel although Barbados is beautiful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed at the Amaryllis for easter week with our grandkids. The hotel has potential but is in desperate need of renovations. The bathrooms are just in deporable conditions. On the plus side the beach is very nice, actually the only beach on that side of the island with a protective barrier. We had two connecting rooms a 1 bedroom ocean front suite which smelled very musty and a one bedroom suite . Both rooms were very spaceous and the view to the beach very limited due to the big coconut trees in front of our valconies. Recommend not to due all inclusive since they are plenty of restaurants nearby including 39 steps which is just right in front of the hotel. We had breaksfast a couple of times at the hotel just out of convenience and it was just okay , not really worth it for the $20.00 per person they charge for the buffet . Had lunch at the small pool bar (forgot the name); once and it was good. The waitress at the beach bar was just excellent, very nice with the grandkids making them anything they asked for including virgin pina coladas, she had no problems openning a tab for them which either me or my husband will sign at the end of the day. Both pools are very small which is not a problem for me and my husband since we prefer the ocean. For kids it might be a let down. To conclude, the hotel is in desperate need of renovations, the beach was great and the location was excellent with the bus stop right in front of the hotel which was very convinient and not bad at all at $1.00 american dollars charge, much cheaper than taking a taxi.

Room Tip: Choose a beach front room on the upper floor but make sure that your view is not obstructed.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
paisley, scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We were in Barbados for 3 weeks staying twice at Amaryllis and once elsewhere. This is an account of BOTH our FIRST visit ( Tripadvisor will only let you put in another review 3 months after you stay the first time, even though you may stay again only a month later) Our SECOND visit is at the end.
I should also tell you that we have NEVER complained officially about any aspect of a hotel stay in 32 years of travel. We either sorted the problem ourselves or spoke to the hotel and had, albeit usually minor problems dealt with.

On 20th October 2012 we books a TWIN room OCEANFRONT @ Amaryllis Beach Resort on an All Comprehensive basis. 19th January2013 until 2nd February 2013 and 11th February till the 13th February (We were staying at another hotel from the 2nd February till the 11th).
We arrived at the Amaryllis Beach Hotel on 19th January 2013 at 19.30 hrs local time.
We gave the receptionist our details and said we had booked a twin oceanfront room, to which she replied ‘oh dear, that could be a problem’.
After a short time she gave us the electronic keys to room 307 and a brief outline of the all-inclusive option.
On arrival at Room 307 it was clear it was neither a twin room nor oceanfront.
The bed was double and the room overlooked a pool, Jacuzzi and the ‘Turtle Nest Beach Bar’ and tables etc
I immediately went back to reception to say there had been a mistake with the bed and the room. I was told housekeeping ended at 18.30 and no-one could split the beds till tomorrow.
And as for the room there were no others available. I would have to come back to reception tomorrow (20th January) and speak to them then ‘but they may not have another room for a day or two’. I said we would not unpack our luggage until this was settled.
I phoned BA holiday helpline @ 20.45 hrs local time and explained the situation. The gentleman agreed that the room seemed to be not as described and paid for and would contact the hotel on our behalf. I said not to phone back this evening as we were just going to bed and would phone them back in the morning when I had again spoken to reception.
On the morning of 20th January I went to reception and was told they knew nothing about it but later in the conversation said that the receptionist from last night had left a note but did nothing about it! This morning’s receptionist said there was nothing she could do as there were no rooms available for a few days. She then said there was an oceanfront room available but not until tomorrow. I asked where about it was in the hotel ( to make sure it was actually the correct type of room we had paid for) and she said she could not tell the room number or where it was. I said was unhappy with this as I was not prepared to live out of a suitcase for another few days and would not agree to another room until we knew where it was. She then replied that I would have to come back and speak to the deputy manager who was not due in till 12noon, got up and went into another room and shut the door. Conversation ended.
At 12noon I went back to reception and met Mr Wilson, the Deputy Manager, and I said that I did not want to agree to any room move that may actually be worse than we have at the moment. He said the best thing to do was take me out to see the position of the room.
Outside he showed me the position of the room that would be available for in a ‘couple of days’ .The room had a much smaller balcony and had some ocean front view but that was blocked off by a large protruding wall that he himself said was a problem. I told him I would talk to the other guest on the booking a get back to him. They were not even sure when we could get it.
I spoke with the other guest and showed him the position of the room that was offered. We both agreed that the change would not be to our benefit and as we were not prepared to live out a suitcase any longer we would just keep the current room and contact BA again.
I went back to reception and spoke to MR Wilson and said we were unhappy with the offer and would just stay in room 307 and refer the matter back to BA. He said that BA had already been in touch.
I contacted BA Helpline at 12.48 hrs local time. I had a discussion with a very helpful gentleman and he checked all the communications with the hotel and we had clearly booked an oceanfront room, not one that overlooks the pool & beach bar etc. I explained they had offered the other room that was unacceptable (including the wait for it). He said he would get in touch with the hotel and would expect at least that they should only invoice BA for a garden room (or similar) as we did not have an oceanfront room we would get a refund of the difference and he said he would try and get us some other form of compensation for our wasted holiday time and trouble etc.
Later that afternoon (14.53 local time) I received a text message from BA to say they had tried my mobile number and the room telephone to contact me.I phoned BA back as soon as possible and a pleasant lady – Claire- said she was calling to see how things were going. I explained that we had agreed to stay in this room and that the gentleman I had spoken to this morning from BA was dealing with it. Claire said she was now dealing with it and was in contact with his hotel and they told here again we were in an ocean front room. I could her from her voice she thought we were in the wrong and I told her so. I said I would send her photographs of the room and view from the balcony to prove it. I also told her we had visited this hotel for a look in December and we knew where the oceanfront rooms were. We also told her that the hotel website had changed the room descriptors from oceanfront to sea view. She then agreed we were correct and arranged for a refund of the price difference between a garden room and an oceanfront room.
The other problem we had was that for 9 days we only had lukewarm water from the shower and hot taps. As we had already complained to BA about the room we thought it better to just deal with this ourselves. Eventually after many complaints and finally threating to phone BA they finally called in an outside contractor and it turned out all the boiler elements had blown. As soon as they were changed we had to watch we were not scalded!!!!
The hotel is badly in need of a refurb - it looks great from the outside but very poor inside.
The only reason we stayed for the full time was the staff. They were superb - The room maid 'Everly' was fantastic and the dining room staff lead By Marie, Cathy & ( sorry, I have forgotten your name ) were sometimes overwhelmed by the workload but remained calm and efficient. The problem was very few people booked tables for dinner then turned up and created hell if none were available.
The only food problem we had was when an American lady put her hand into the bacon tray and lifted it onto her plate with her hands. I told her this was terrible and could spread diseases and she just shrugged her shoulders. The Cook came over and thanked me as they were not allowed to tell guests off if they had poor food hygiene, all she could do was throw out the rest of the bacon. No doubt if anyone was ill they would blame the hotel not the guests. I know I have been down on the hotel on some aspects, but the food hygiene was perfect.
Our SECOND Visit – oh dear……
This time we got our Ocean front room when we checked in. We knew something was amiss when Victor, the deputy manager, took us to our room and the Maids supervisor seen us asked him ‘why we were going into that room as it should not really be used’ – Victor told her’ it was only for 2 nights’. (They spoke in Bajan - but do not realise we can understand most of it).
The room seemed fine, except after turning off the aircon we began to notice a damp smell, but as it was not bad we left it alone.
We went out for dinner and after returning to our room the smell was quite noticeable. Shortly after going to sleep we were awoken by the sound of lots of running water, gurgling and rumbling. On investigating this sound which was coming from the wardrobe, it was obvious that a dirty water drainage pipe (about 8-10 feet long) had been redirected through our room from the room next door!
You can also see the diverted pipe outside our room where it has been dug up and repaired/redirected.
Every time they turned on a tap (or other things) we had the water sounds disturbing us, as no attempt had been made to try and insulate the noise. The people next door got up frequently during the night (5 times) and used the water, which is fair enough, but it kept waking us up. I eventually used the bed mats from both beds to try and cover the bit of the pipe pipes we could access to reduce the noise which partly worked.
Unfortunately when we took them off in the morning one of them was soaking wet and smelly so we had to put it outside to dry – the pipe was clearly leaking and I had to dry up a fair amount of water.
My partner was concerned if we complained again we would be thrown out of the hotel!!!
However, I told the front desk at 8am as apart from the damp smell there was also the problem of dirty water contamination. Who knows what was is in the contaminated water?

I was so concerned that I phoned BA at 9am and told them the story and they agreed take it up with the hotel.
The Deputy Manager turned up at 1pm when we were having lunch and asked us to show him the problem as had had never heard about this problem. I told him he already knew as we had heard the conversation with the supervisor. He again said he was unaware of the problem. He came to the room, looked at it and said there was nothing the hotel could do to repair it till we checked out; all they could do was cover it up as we had done. As the hotel was fully booked we could not go anywhere else anyway, and we only had one more night to stay in the hotel. At 9pm that evening staff turned up and used floor mats to try and block the pipes up to reduce the noise. They were soaking in the morning. On checking out we were told there was a letter for us from the Hotel Manager. My partner said that was probably them telling us never to darken their doorstep again! I had then to admit I had phoned BA (I had promised not too in order to keep the peace) and they had been obviously in touch with the hotel. It was a letter of apology and confirmation of a refund of one night’s accommodation/all inclusive charges that BA arranged and we were pleased with this.
This room should never have been let out and we wonder if we were going to be checked into ‘the wrong room’ again, and when they realised it was us, they used this room instead.
It was also clear that the Deputy Manager ran the hotel as the real manager was nowhere to be seen (except at the weekly cocktail party). Give the Deputy Manage his due praise – he was at the hotel day & night ‘firefighting’ the problems and took the flak from everyone.

The hotel is now up for sale at a reduced price to reflect the work needed.
That says it all

Room Tip: Go to Coconut Court next door - doesn't look the best from outside, but rooms are far better
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed here 2 weeks, lovely hotel. great beach but felt like I was staying in an old folks home. Do not go all inclusive as there are awesome restuarants near by including the 39 steps at the front enterance.

Frontline service staff (servers, front desk etc) were not exactly friendly and at times seemed to consider visitors to be an inconveniance that they could do without. On the other hand the staff that weren't employed to deal with guests were friendly and very helpful.

From a management perspective there seemed to be a lack of management awareness or care of guest/staff interactions.

Room Tip: My room was next to the waterfall that and this can be distracting to those that sleep lightly.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Niagara Falls, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I was there from Feb. 12th to the 19th. The Resort is well kept, very nice grounds and plenty of shade on the beach. The beach is small and narrow but with plenty of lounges to go around. The water is calm in front of the property as it is protected by a barrier of coral rocks. I had an oceanfront 1 bedroom suite with a full size kitchen. Very roomy and bright and the balcony overlooking the ocean had comfortable cushioned chairs and a small table with two chairs where I had breakfast every morning. Furnishings were fine, however bathroom needs updating as well as water pressure was very poor for showering and toilet flushing. Had to call down regarding the toilet and they came an hour later to plunge which really did not fix the problem. You can get an all inclusive here, however, having seen the buffet, I was not impressed. Breakfast is ok but pricey. There are so many great restaurants in the area that I do not recommend an all inclusive here. St. Lawrence Gap is the hub of activity with great food as well as some great hotels. The Amaryllis is a quiet resort with 2 beach bars, one restaurant. One beach bar does not open until 6:30 p.m. The other beach bar serves food as well as drinks. The Amaryllis needs needs some sprucing up, especially the bathrooms.

Room Tip: I would only recommend oceanfront rooms, 3rd floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Amaryllis Beach Resort? Share your experiences!