“Hotel inspector please call” 3 of 5 stars

Amaryllis Beach Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Garrison Historic Area, Hastings, Barbados   |
Ranked #5 of 7 hotels in Hastings
Southampton England
“Hotel inspector please call”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Lovely beach front setting, but public areas in urgent need of refurbishing, main resturant and Turtle Nest beach cafe. Public toilets substandard with toilet seats that don't even fit the toilet pans. Food generally poor and service very slow, a forty minute wait for our starters, Staff off hand.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

598 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Essex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed at Amaryllis over new year for 2 weeks. We have not been to Barbados for over 10 years at it just got too overpriced for the time of year we go, but a few weeks before I got a really good deal here and flights with first choice.
Ok check in to the hotel was painful took around 21/2 hours as our room was not ready but Victor kindly gave us a free upgrade to a suite so we were not complaining, it was huge separate lounge area and nice balcony with comfy chairs. The decor was ok typical Caribbean but it needed a good clean, around the door handles were filthy and generally it was grubby, but I resisted and just looked at the grime for 2 weeks.
Mosquitos were bad lots of people bitten loads, I had a 95% deet spray but still got bitten god knows how as I would put it on as soon as it got to dusk. I know there were loads in the library.
New Year's Eve was nice all the food was outside and people seated around the pool, lots of locals came in for this, I wouldn't bother next time though and would go elsewhere as it got started then finished not long after 12. Book somewhere for new year before you go early in the year as you won't get in otherwise. While seated behind the bar after our meal new year having a few drinks the rats decided to come and have their dinner they were quite large but we only saw 2 and I did not see them anymore.
I found a few of the staff very miserable and it was an effort for them to serve you, but there were some lovely staff who really looked after you. Bar shuts at 11 which for some people like us that upgraded to all inclusive was too early and they would pack up around 10.30 if it was quiet.
One night there was a power cut at around 9.45 so they shut the bar and would not serve us and sent people home, this was really bad and I went to reception and complained and she said it was protocol to take the money and put it in the safe just in case they got jumped, oh right leave the guests outside! I did not understands this as during they day you get served and they write it down and put it through the computer at the end of the day!
All said and done the beach is fantastic, the weather was glorious and we had a fantastic holiday, ŵe meet some great people, hello Sue and Dave, John and Lisa and all the rest, being a smalllace you kind of got to know everyone.
Lunches were nice at the beach bar and the wine was great! Dinner in the evening was hit and miss, even though we upgraded to all inclusive when we arrived we still went out the 2nd week four or five times, it was worth the all inclusive for breakfast, lunch and drinks.
I hope this helps anyone thinking of going, a holiday is what you make it chill out dont expect them to rush to serve you, they will eventually, we would go back here just for the sheer relaxation and price.
Overall good value for what I payed, if you want 5 star go up the west coast and then pay through the nose!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Have just returned to UK after 2 weeks at Amaryllis. We travelled as a family of three adults and two toddlers. At Amaryllis we stayed in their ground floor two bedroom, livingroom/kitchen suite with two patios. Yes, the suite is a bit dated and could do with some TLC, but all rooms were of good size and were clean and tidy. With two toddlers we choice to cook our own food, so can not really comment on what was served in the restaurant, but we had room service on the first night and no complains. The main attraction of the resort is the location, which is second to non. The beach was literarily on our doorstep and we spent every morning splashing around in the sea with the kids.

Hastings has easy access to the west coast and further south. We rented a car, but there really is no need as the bus stop is just outside the resort. Holetown is just 20 mins drive away (longer in rushhour) and St Lawrence Gap 10mins. Woud recomment Sol Cafe for a good drink (happy hour from 10pm) and Harbour Lights if you fancy a late night. Just Grilling is great for a quick excellent bite to eat (both eat in and take away)

Overall we had a fantastic holiday and would not hesitate to return to Amaryllis. It is a three star hotel (so don't expect too much) and a five star location.

Room Tip: Try to get a sea view room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed for 10 nights at the Amaryllis, arriving New Year's Day (2013) and had a wonderful time. On arrival we were checked in reasonably quickly and taken to our room (331). The room was very spacious, a little tired (more of this later though) but most importantly kept scrupulously clean by Maria, with fresh linen throughout every day and the view to the beach made for fantastic morning and late afternoon viewing (also nice when our 2 boys needed an afternoon nap!).

To address the tiredness of the hotel I think it is important to remember that this is a 3* Caribbean resort; if you are expecting high polish then feel free to spend per person what you spent for your stay at the Amaryllis and you'll (possibly) get what you are looking for - alternatively spend the same amount but go to (e.g.) Greece in the summer months; I know where I'd rather be!

There are derisory comments about the staff/service elsewhere too - our experience was totally different. Whilst the service was a little on the "Carribean" side in terms of pace we were always greeted with a smile and a hello (especially our eldest son (almost 3) who all of the ladies looked after like he were their own). I would suggest to those that had a different experience to us that they should try treating people a little better in future; "please", "thank you" and a smile will cost you nothing but improve how you are perceived by your hosts - I'm sad to say that we saw many of our fellow countrymen being surly and rude to the staff and then wondering aloud why they weren't getting quite the service that they expected.

Despite offering it, the hotel isn't really an all inclusive resort and as such you won't see the type of buffet that you would get at (e.g.) a Sensatori resort but the breakfast, buffet and a la carte food was clearly home cooked and to a good standard with sufficient variety to keep it more than interesting (who needs to be faced with so much choice that you end up with a mouthful of 20 different somethings rather than a decent meal anyway..?)

If you are heading to Barbados wanting late noisy nights at the bar then this resort is definitely not for you; if you want to be served at the speed of light then this resort (and probably the region in general) isn't for you; if you want a very relaxing, quiet break next to one of the most beautiful beaches you will ever vist then this resort is most definitely for you - be nice to the staff and you'll get on famously.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This resort/hotel seems to have financial problems. It was badly in need of decoration and repairs. The staff, although good-natured seemed sad too and losing interest in their jobs.

My friend and I were shown to a room with a double bed despite plenty of written reminders we needed a twin. We were moved to a tiny room which was filthy. The beds appeared fresh and clean but brooms and mops had not seen the edges of the floor in years. These nether regions were thick with muck and fluff as well as old clients dropped pills, dead cockroaches etc etc. The fridge was a health hazard. A second request got us a larger, cleaner room but still with plenty of woes; safe not working, lightbulb dead, no bedside rugs on tiled floor, most shelves no longer in place in the wardrobe. We landed in Barbados at 3.15pm but with the slow pace we did not get our holiday started in this hotel until after dark. The next morning saw us trying to get the safe fixed so we could go out without all our valuables (passport etc) in tow. This ate up another chunk of our precious holiday time.

Presumable the Bajan way of food is different from what I had expected. As we had gone all-inclusive at a big price we were reluctant to eat elsewhere despite being told by other holidaymakers of the lovely food they experienced in restaurants. So we ate our food purely as vital fuel rather than an eating experience. Hot food was always tepid at the most. The fish was cooked to the state of dry leather and mostly served in a soggy, dense batter coating. The vegetables were tasteless, the fruit - only ever melon and pineapple - was unripe, tasteless and hard. However the small apples were crunchy, juicy and a lovely taste - THANK GOODNESS for that!! Coffee was served tepid too.

The booze (also included) was a lifesaver and I filled up on pina coladas - not a healthy replacement for good food but some consolation. My heart sank every time we sat down for our meal. The lunches were served in the bar and were clearly cooked to order. This food was so much better but most days we were out on excursions or other beaches in the daytime so missed the lunches.

There was meant to be entertainment every night at the resort but this only actually happened on 3 out of 7 nights. I must not go on any further as I managed to put all this to the back of my mind so I could enjoy the wonderful experience of the sea, sun and beaches as well as the countryside and nature on this lovely island which were all great.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Me & my family have just returned from this hotel & found the location fabulous , the beach is one on the best beaches in the area. This beach front hotel has everything you need clean rooms , friendly staff , gym , nice pool & cafe where you can get all day snacks with wifi included . I noticed on other reviews they mentioned having no hot water, me or any of my family did not have this problem .I am a frequent traveller who travels to the Caribbean at least twice a month & I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are looking for a beach front relaxing stay that's affordable .

• Stayed January 2013
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Hotel is worn out but rates were reasonable.Spent three nights here and complained about absolutely no hot water.. Kept putting me off so that when I left I still had not felt the first drop of hot water and the expressed no remorse except "these things happen from time to time".
Wife stayed on a business trip and had to be moved because of roaches in her room.
Cold water and roaches....not again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to Amaryllis Beach Resort? Share your experiences!