“Stay away !!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 6 hotels in Hastings
United Kingdom
“Stay away !!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We made a huge mistake in giving Coconut Court a second chance following a previous visit in 2011. Unfortunately we required 4 days at a hotel as we waited for our apartment to become available to us. I should have backed my better judgement and learned my lesson from my first visit.
The truth is, we had an even worse experience due to the decaying condition of the property, despite what we were constantly informed was an ambitious refurbishment programme. Yes, there was condiderable building noise which was constant throughout the day when in and around our room - surely guests should be (1) warned beforehand and (2) offered alternative accommodation.

Anyway, back to the stay: -
(1) Breakfast is
still shocking !
(2) the showers and lack of hot water is still an issue
(3) the attitude of management to adverse comments is met with an intransigence which defies belief. It is almost as if they are granting you a priveledge by letting you stay here.

I would add, that I have read responses to a number of critical/negative reviews of this establishment on here and a consistent theme is the inability to accept any failings ( and there are many).

Coconut Court, along with the rest of Hastings in general is in sad decline. It is an issue that needs to be addressed or the already dwindling tourist trade will die off. Personally, I can remember a vibrant era from the late 1970's/80's. - sadly those days have long gone and form the evidence I have seen will never be seen again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

1,244 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We have just returned from a weeks stay at this hotel. The hotel was an average, old, and 2 star rated. The room was not too bad but the bed skirt was muddy. The worst thing was the construction activity in the block we were staying in. Unbearable jack hammering noise from 10:00 am till 3:00 pm was very harmful to ears. The staff were nice but the management and the owners do not respect the guests at all. The block that the construction activity going on should not have been booked AT ALL. It is greediness, rudeness, and disrespect. Read their responses to these reviews. They indicate that the construction will continue in the 2014 as well meaning that they will ruin your holidays regardless. One goes, one comes, any complaint, here is an apology. It is that simple.
Food was not great, breakfast very boaring, and it seemed the left over dinner (chicken, fish, etc.) was served in the morning as "chicken cake", "fish cake", etc. in fried meatball shape. Lack of veggies and fruit. Limited dinner menu. Same dessert for 4 days????
IF YOU DO NOT WANT YOUR HOLIDAYS RUINED, then DO NOT make any reservations with this hotel. Don't be FOOLED by the complimentary reviews. Choice is yours.
T

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
islandgirl1972, Owner at Coconut Court Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Guest, thanks for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay with us at Coconut Court. I am sorry that you didn't have a good time. I thought that you were extremely tough on us.
I actually received an email today from one of our suppliers advising me that based on our refurbished hotel rooms and general improvements that we have made to our property over the last 12 months, they have decided to improve our star rating from 3stars to 3+ stars. I am really happy about that and I feel that it is an honest assessment of our hotel.
I can assure you that we do care about our guests very much and we are in this business (24 hours a day, 365 days a year) because we love it! It has absolutely nothing to do with being greedy, rude or disrespectful. I dont think that we would still be in business and doing well after 38 years if what you have said about us was true. I know that this is a public forum and folks can write whatever they feel like but I did not appreciate your comments about my staff or my family. You are way out of line. If you were honest, you would have noted that we relocated you to another room and did our very best to ensure that you were comfortable and well cared for. Unfortunately our efforts were not successful but I know that we did everything that we could for you.
For those other folks reading this...Let me see if I can help you by sharing some of the details... We are scheduled to refurbish 30 guest rooms in May/June 2013 and to date we have taken out only 3 guest rooms on the car park level of that building so that we can work on these as our sample/showcase rooms. It takes a while to strip a room entirely and we also wanted to try different paints, tiles etc. before making our final decision. This is what we have been doing with those 3 rooms. The rest of the guest rooms in that building (27 units) are open and some of them are occupied but when the refurbishment project begins we will close the building. Despite the harsh comments posted by this one guest, I sincerely do not think that the work being carried out in those three rooms could justify closing the entire building. WE will close this building from May 6th to June 30th, 2013.
We have employed a professional contractor for the May/June project (the same folks that did such a great job last year) and the entire building will be screened off from other guests (including car park, landings and balconies) to minimise any disruption to our hotel guests. Our working hours will be 10am-4pm Monday to Saturday. In all honesty you can expect some noise, particularly in the early stages but I think that overall, things should be reasonable. We are not replacing the existing floor tiles in these 30 rooms so this will minimise dust and noise significantly. The only area to be retiled in these 30 units will be the bathrooms.
This entire process will be done once again in May/June 2014 when we refurbish the remaining 30 units at the hotel. I hope that this information has helped to alleviate some of your concerns. If you would like to email or telephone me to discuss anything else regarding this project then please do so. Unfortunately Trip Advisor does not allow me to list personal details but I can be reached at the hotel by email or telephone me (via reservations office). If you write to me (Linda Lampkin) then I will respond to your questions, I am happy to help.
Please take a moment and read other reviews about our hotel before making a decision whether to book your next holiday with us or not. We are not perfect, and the biggest room in this life is the room for improvement so please be assured that we will do all that we can to make your holiday the best! I really do love this place, there is something very special about it and I am sure that you will feel the same way too when you come to visit us.
Best regards, Linda, Jason, Mark and the team at Coconut Court.
kent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have recently returned from a weeks stay at the Coconut Court. The hotel has a wonderful beach front location and is ideally situated to get to the many wonderful restaurants on the island. The rooms are clean but basic and the staff very helpful and friendly, especially the bartender on the beach bar. The only aspect of this hotel which needs some attention is the restaurant. It is not run by the hotel, presumably it is leased to a caterer. The restaurant overlooks the beach and ocean, so it has the perfect setting. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the breakfast. The presentation of the food is not enticing and the buffet is quite poor and basic. If you like eggs then you will not be disappointed! I feel the restaurant lets the hotel down as there is so much potential to make it a pleasant dining experience. We did not use the restaurant for dining in the evening.
I would love to return to the hotel but the restaurant would have to be improved.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to face the sea, so you are assured of a room with a view!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Whitby, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Just returned from a ten day stay at Coconut Court and couldn't have had a better time. We had a quick check in and got to our room in a timely manner. Below we list some of the highlights.

Hotel: We paid for oceanfront room but got oceanview. We asked the duty manager but she assured us that we had the room we paid for. The room was large, king bed, nice balcony,in room safe but very small washroom with small shower.Room was always kept very clean by staff. Grounds are very well kept, everything is clean, lots of tables and chairs on pool deck and plenty of loungers on the beach.

Beach: Plenty of shade provided by beautiful palm trees and almond trees. Water was lovely but a bit rocky getting in. We will definitely bring water shoes next time. Antonio at the beach bar lives up to his reputation.Great guy, just a joy to be around. Never forgets a name and really seems to enjoy his work.

Food: We paid up front for the continental breafast which was just fine. Eggs, homefries, beans,
fruit, pastries,coffee and juice. We ordered on occasion sausage and or bacon for $5US which
was well worth it. We had bbq buffet at $25USpp and curry night for $22USpp and we would recommend both. A club sandwich at the beach bar at lunch hit the spot as well. Banks beer was $3US and most cocktails were $4US.Jan, Mark. Gerald and Harriet were all very pleasant
as were all the staff, we just can't remember all their names.
We ate at a few restaurants in the area as well. We can recommend Mama Mias right across the street, Blakeys just down the boardwalk, Just Grillin 10 minutes past Blakeys on the street.
Harlequins in The Gap and Pat's Place in Oistens.

Ted's Tour: We really enjoyed joining Ted for an informative tour around the island. He is so knowledgeable and a real fun guy to be around. We would recommend this tour and it's easy to book right at CC.

Managers party: It was a real pleasure meeting you Linda. As you know Herb had read all about your family and hotel prior to our arrival so it was nice to finally meet you. We enjoyed our chats and learning even more about your lovely island home and of course your Toronto
connection. We know your family are always striving to make CC an enjoyable place to stay. We look forward on our next stay to seeing the changes now underway.

Can't wait to return to Barbados and Coconut Court

Happy Travels
Jackie and Herb

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

This hotel is highly recommended. The ocean view room was excellent - spacious and airy with obviously fantastic views. We ate in the Deck Restaurant a number of evenings and the food was good. The staff were very friendly to us and our young son in particular. When we wanted advice on day trips, we were treated very well by Vieda (hope that's the correct spelling!) who gauged us quickly and made great recommendations. We travel extensively and have stayed in a more expensive hotel in Barbados before. Without even taking price into consideration, I would always choose Coconut Court because of the quality of its rooms and staff. A member of the family who owns the hotel even chased after us to wave goodbye as we got into our taxi to the airport. We couldn't fault it and will certainly be going back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I had the most relaxing vacation of my life at this hotel. The staff was so friendly and helpful, the beach and pool were beautiful! The rooms aren't brand new but mine was spotless. I loved sitting out on my patio in the morning and evening having my coffee or glass of wine - quiet and a beautiful view. If you read a lot of these reviews they mention Antonio at the beach bar and he lived up to his great reputation. He remembers everybody's names and makes you feel so comfortable. I went by myself for the first time on a vacation and couldn't have felt safer or more welcome. Thanks to Haddy, Andy and Germaine for the extra attention. Please go visit this hotel - you won't regret it! I'm going back next year!

Room Tip: I liked the ground floor room that I had. Sitting out on the cute patio was fabulous!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

had a lovely two weeks here in march the room was huge and always cool.we had the most amazing sea views right to the horizon in fact when we sat up in bed felt more like being on a ship.the hotel is right on the beach and not far from the boardwalk so great for loads of scenic walks.really enjoyed the managers cocktail nights sitting on the decking listening to the band playing drinking his famous rum punch,which i must say is very potent. everybody is friendly and a big thanks to the guy on the beach bar who organised us a bite to eat before we went home as they were very busy with their sunday bajan buffet.hope for a return stay here soon.

Room Tip: we had an ocean front room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Coconut Court Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!