Our first trip to Barbados, for our 5th wedding anniversary, and we enjoyed every minute.
The hotel is located in Hastings, about 20 mins from the airport by taxi (cost us 37 B$).
At checkin we were upgraded to a room on the top floor (3rd). Was a bit worried about what some other people were writing about steep steps, but didn't need to be. There are 3 flights of about 15 steps, so nothing too demanding, although when wet can be slippery (just tread with caution).
Room had aircon, plus a ceiling fan (which is all we put on at night), a balcony looking out onto the beach and above the trees to the sea. Another building does block the actual sunset from the balcony (room 54), but you can go down to the beach, or further along the coast to see that better. There's even a fridge, microwave and toaster in the room, although only the fridge we used for keeping our bottled water nice and cool (fill up empty bottles in the bathroom taps, the water is clean as anything).
With the sun rising at about 5.15am, you'll be awake by 6, so get washed and go down to breakfast for 7am and avoid the rush. Don't overlook the "hot tray" with cakes in it. Rainbow cake and banana cake were amazing ! Usual cereals, toast, fruit, coffee, tea, juices (although not fresh), plus some hot dishes (normally egg, occasionally fish, and baked beans). Try not to leave your table unattended when you go for more as the birds will fly down and help themselves to your plate.
Transport: There a 3 types of public transport in Barbados. The offical Blue "school" buses with yellow stripe, the yellow buses with blue stripe, and the little white minivans with a red-stripe (number 11 goes past hotel). All cost 2B$ (or 1US$) wherever you are going.
We took white ones on our first day as they were the first ones to pass the bus stop. It went all around the side roads and took nearly an hour to get to Bridgetown. When we took a blue bus the following day, we were shocked to note that it took only 4 mins to do the same journey. So if you can wait for the regular running blue ones, they are much quicker on such journeys.
One warning - at around 2.45-4pm the children take the blue buses to get home from school as they are free for them. This is not a comfortable ride, with all sorts of body parts pushed in your face. Either avoid this time to travel, or get a yellow or white bus.
Oistins is great on a Friday night, walk around to take in the different kiosks, and then try "Pat's Place". Just Grillin' is down the road from the hotel (you can walk or take a bus for about 5 mins) and does a nice plate of grilled fish with grilled vegetables, macaroni pie and other sides. Try the mauby juice - very unusual.
Shakers is worth a visit, although best to take a taxi at night as it's a bit off the main road. Very good fish dishes and good prices too.
All in all, an well located great hotel in an amzing country.
We will be back - and will stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Recently renovated, award winning, family owned hotel located directly on the beach in the heart of the South Coast. All 112 ocean facing Studios equipped with free WIFI, air conditioning, cable TV and limited kitchenette facilities. Full self catering apartments also available for families and long stay visitors. Located within the UNESCO World Heritage Site district within easy walking distance to several historic sites, duty free shops and restaurants. Bridgetown, St. Lawrence Gap and Oistins fishing town are a short bus or taxi ride away. Winner of Trip Advisor certificates of excellence 2011, 2012 and 2013. The Blades family has owned and operated Coconut Court Beach Hotel since 1975 and their passion and commitment to customer service and to hospitality excellence is evident in the welcoming, relaxed atmosphere of the hotel. Coconut Court truly offers Simple Charm and Bajan style! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Regatta Hotels, Expedia, Priceline, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, TripOnline SA and Hotels.com so you can book your Coconut Court Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Coconut Court Beach Hastings
- Coconut Court Beach Hotel Barbados/Hastings