“The Savannah Barbados” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Connecticut
“The Savannah Barbados”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Just returned from a ten day vacation in Barbados. Most all-inclusive resorts come with fully loaded fridges, beer, water and soda. The fridges were empty and when we asked about bottled water, we were told it was four dollars to purchase. Also should be more food available after dinner, even if only snacks. Most resorts have small grill area with fries, hot dogs nachos etc...Seems to be a bit under staffed, could use a few more employees, although the staff is working very hard to accommadate everyone. One more issue is the desk could let people know about the other beach that the shuttle goes to, the shuttle should be available everyday 9 to 5.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
  • Polish first
london.uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I finally gave in to my urge to escape the freezing cold weather just before xmas. I was apprehensive as a woman travelling on my own.but I needn't have worried.

I have been to Barbados before and stayed at the Colony Club and the Amaryllis (next door to Savannah) but I can honestly say this hotel was friendlier and I found the standards high and I am going to return!

The room was big with a nice sofa and I did think about a Pool access room but glad I didnt pay an extra £98 for this as the pool which snakes round the hotel was easy to access. the shower is a bit tricky but you have a full size bath and ladies there is a hairdryer in the draw in the dressing table, dont use the bathroom one.

Breakfast for me was a leisurely affair and you can have a full english which I did and the omlettes were freshly made. I squeezed my own juice as there were plenty of oranges available. I loved sitting with the birds and it didnt bother me at all.... other guests need to understand this is the caribbean !! the birds are only small not like the seagulls in the UK! The restaurant staff were always welcoming and I noticed that some of the locals were eating in Rachels in the evening with their famiillies which must be a good sign...
Oh and the banana and ginger pancakes were delish !!

There is a nice beach the sea is rocky again I enjoyed watching the fish and sea critters under rocks.some guests spotted turtles swimming. I took the shuttle down to Copacobana beach hotel where you can get A/I drinks... the hotel also does a packed lunch one lady had so much we shared lunch together... a nice memory...If you go to this beach see Neville for the snorkelling with turtles and shipwrecks he was fantastic so encouraging and informative much better than the big catamaran trip I went on previously !!

Also watch out for the brilliant girl band Virgo!!! better than X factor. There is also a spa service which I didnt have time to use but oher guests recommended.

Anyone thinking of travelling alone especially ladies go for it .... I am already planning a return visit. Hello to Susan the head receptonist who came to see me as we share the same surname... a wonderful holiday thank you.

Room Tip: All lovely rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
SavannahManagement, Manager at Savannah Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are very pleased that you had a great stay with us and that you will be returning. Our kitchen team takes great pride in cooking up those daily breakfast specials and nothing is more enjoyable than having your omelette prepared in front of you with any filling of your choice. Thank you for all your recommendations and for highlighting the features of the hotel and commending our staff ; Susan will be happy to know you mentioned her service. On your next visit you will see more improvements and changes as we are continuously looking for ways to add variety to our operation and to make our guests visits enjoyable and memorable. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to your new home away from home!
Herts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Spent Xmas @ Savannah. Disappointed Holiday cost high and feel the hotel is not in line with the costing. Room ok but needs updating as furnishings are old. Friends had Garrison rooms and were very small. Used one for hospitality room and felt very rundown. Bed very high and could cause concern for people less mobile on legs.
Chopsticks really good but needs people to use it more. Rachels food very good when A la Carte, but on other settings basic. Drifters restuarants very repeative and slow service. Where are the 4 bars and 3 restuarants. Check each day when the restaurants are actually open. Staff very attentive but unaware of how to make Mojita and asked every night for one, but did not have any mint. Remember hearing other people expressing their concerns about quality of food and temperarture.
Sunday racing good fun.

New Year gala meal really good and nice to see staff joining in festivities.
When in Barbados ensure you go out and eat as it is keeping the bars and resturants open. There are so many closed down and this is sad to see.
Beach is ok but definately need beach shoes as rocky but u can walk a little further along.
Really nice beach on other side of Ostins called enterprise beach, roti bar there and clear and safe sea.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SavannahManagement, Manager at Savannah Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We appreciate your feedback, as it gives us a clear understanding of our guests experiences and allows us to address any shortfalls in service delivery. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your visit with us. We will look into the areas you highlighted and determine the best alternative to prevent any possible reoccurence in the future. It is difficult to address the issue of the room size, as our property carries several different room categories and each category is priced accordingly. We regret that you did not enjoy any of the activities that we had planned over the Christmas holiday. Our main objective is to always provide favorable experiences to all our guests, this can only be achieved with comments such as yours that let us know if we are heading in the right direction. Once again, thank you for sharing your review. We truly hope that in the near future you will visit with us again and allow us another opportunity to regain your confidence and to provide you with service that is second to none.
Gosport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Good Morning and Happy New Year to: Craig, Tricia and all the staff at the Savannah.

Just to let you know that we enjoyed ourelves so much at your hotel last July. That we have booked up again and will be with you in less than two weeks.

I hope Vice Admiral Horatio Nelson is alright:

Best wishes,
Peter & Jenny.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Savannah Beach Hotel ... love the Colonial style of our room ... the staff are wonderful especially the reception staff, Trevor is good and Martin who delivers you beach chair with a smile ... the food was 'dreadful' in the Rachel's restaurant, far to many buffets ... The Drifters freshly made pancakes, burgers, chicken and tuna rosti, wraps are good. Really is impossible to swim. Mosquito bites are a problem.

Hayling Island, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here mid to end November 12. We had a fantastic time, the hotel is as chilled and relaxed or as manic as you want it to be, we were incredibly lucky that from the time we boarded the plane we had already 'jelled' with fellow guests, each individual and all great fun. I think this helped with the check in that could have been better, but it gave us all something in common to laugh about. The staff were all lovely and interacted very well with everyone. Food was good, however as with all all inclusive holidays it gets repatative, As many of the reviews say the beach really does let this hotel down, although Savannah puts on a free shuttle bus on a Tues, Thurs, Sat and Sun....the two T's and two S's :) to a beautiful beach nearby ( 10 mins ride away) and they put up a very good packed lunch (on request) that was put in the fridge on arrival at Copabana beach... this bar was then all inclusive to Savannah until transport took you back or 6pm for those of us who stayed!! :) I was very impressed with the overall holiday, met some great friends a couple of whom we have stayed in touch with :) Had lots of fun, laughs and drink!! on this holiday would defo recommend it.

I also need to mention Donna the Virgin rep, she was fantastic in every way, the concierge contacted us 3 times before we went and Donna took over fantasticly, she really is a gem :)

Room Tip: All rooms are good, but if you have problems with stairs request pool/ ground floor, this is central...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We visited this hotel 14 December for two weeks, from the moment we arrived three hours late .... the hotel were fantastic. Firstly I am going to manage people's expectation's as i was very frustrated with some others expectations, most people where so so happy but a few .... i paid this and want food all day .... bla bla .... etc, this hotel is a virgin 3.5 stars, I have previously holidayed 5 star gourmet for example el dorado seaside suites to mention one in Mexico or jamaica, They are of similar price possibly Mexico cheaper, however you are paying because you are going to the fabulous island of Barbados, safe to hire cars and walk along its many beaches which are breath takingly beautiful. The staff are such polite, helpful people there were so many hugs we wanted to give when saying goodbye when we left, everything is expensive in Barbados, staff hire more expensive than many islands and they have so many staff for such a small hotel. This hotel exceeds its 3.5 stars and is exceptionally good value for money in Barbados. Just remember virgin probably pay them peanuts compared with what we pay!!!

The hotel is so well layed out and pretty, lots of steps though, think approx 100 rooms, the plants are being nurtured and flowering in all the flower boxes throughout the property. Starting to look fab. There is a plantation house where there are some of the less expensive rooms, nice rooms and very good value, everyone who I spoke to who stayed in these had a very cheap Barbados all inclusive holiday and were happy, same facilities as all.

We had a delux courtyard room, lovely verandah and furnishings, the rooms are a lovely size and nice furnishings, beds comfy, plenty of space for storage, they are as they are on their web site so take a look. The rooms are kept very clean, bathrooms could do with a refit some time in the future but but by no means an issue or a reason to knock reason the hotel, they are kept clean and towels and bedding refreshed. Rooms have free wifi access, although like at home a couple of times that access was intermittent !! All the common area's including the beach have Wifi which is a nice bonus!

Food is of a very high standard, less selection than in big hotels for obvious reasons, breakfast is in Rachel's, approx, 7 am to 10 am, various, cereals, pastries, fruit (melon, apples, banana and oranges, prunes etc), egg station, scrambles eggs and a selection of other hot dishes, beans bacon etc. lunch buffet in drifters approx 12/12.30 to 3pm, always salads (4-6), items to make rolls, hot dishes fish, chicken, pasta, fries and other items vary daily, the view of the ocean is fantastic from this area. Plenty of water and drinks refilled often!! could sit and laze at drifters for hours, lovely sea view for hours, sunsets fab, Dinner most days a choice of places drifters, Rachel's, and chop stix. Drifters themed buffet no bookings, Rachel's and chop stix a booking needs to be made, the food in the Rachels is way above what's expected!! As well as a new VERY GOOD menu all included in all inclusive, choice of prob approx. 8 mains and 8 starters there is a daily menu which has another 2/3 selection for each. Every a'la carte meal was superb.... Way above what I would expect of a hotel of this rating. Well done to all the head chefs (who are around to meet) lovely food, a couple of times in the buffet when loads of people came all at nice we ran out of plates or people had to wait for chips for a for a minute or so, some people got mad grrrr!! but when brought to staff attention they soon came and replenished, We are on holiday not in a rush! But equally it was a very efficient service.

Service and the people well it's outstanding from management to every worker, they are so so polite and friendly it is astounding. You ask you get ....... If As sometimes happens something is forgotten (you remind them it's soon put right), I wish people would treat all the staff with respect they deserve, I heard people talking them in a way they think is normal I thought degrading. Every day every one we met good morning / afternoon how are you ... how was your day ... It was obvious the majority take pride in working in this team. The friendliness and facilities are here are so good so embrace this.

Beach yes it has rocks and not good for swimming, however often you see turtles heads bobbing up and down! Yes saw them four times!!! But very easy to walk left or right to better swimming or body boarding parts of the public beaches, or there is a free shuttle 4 times a week to Carlisle bay the nicest sand ever Like powder, drinks included and you can take a pack lunch from the hotel or buy food reasonably at the beach!! You can walk to Carlisle bay about 20 mins.

The green monkeys come running through the grounds most days, they are so funny ..... Sometimes they put a show on and pose others just jump through the trees .... They go home at night via the empty block next to the hotel behind the club terrace.

Yes you have it monkeys in the trees turtles bobbing in the sea all in their natural environment.

We did the club upgrade and loved it, had a wooden deck with lovely sun beds and good service from Dexter. Got cold towels and their was a club menu you could order lunch. Club gave you priority bookings at Rachel's if busy and also in your rooms 500 ml bottles of diet coke, coke, sprite, soda, tonic,ginger ale, 2 beers, a 200 ml bottle of vodka, gin, rum and whisky all branded and replenished every two days ... If you like a nice drink on your balcony after dinner well good value !!

Drinks and entertainment, drinks all local, rum, gin vodka, cocktails, beer and wines good, and refilled so often !! Always something you would fancy, there is a payable option payable and i am sure they would get anything,the evening entertainment is good and varried. There is a management BBQ, quiz and games one lunchtime which is fab fun !

All inclusive is a fab option even if you go out like we did, supermarkets and restaurants are not cheap.

Well I have tried to give a full picture, this is a fabulous hotel (I was worried as we have never done 3.5 start all inclusive), but it was an exceptionally good value for money option for visiting Barbados, this hotel for obvious reasons is becomming very popular, many barbadians visit the restaurants. This hotel stole our hearts as they have made Barbados all inclusive at a fab standard for the money. We will be back hopefully twice next year. Thanks you to all the management and staff for the best holiday of our life, it was fantastic, but made by everyone at the hotel, Sally and Jan room 315 14 dec 2 weeks x

Room Tip: Pool or courtyard
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SavannahManagement, Manager at Savannah Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Hi Sally and Jan,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We truly appreciate you taking the time to give such a detailed overview of our property and for outlining all the amenities and features we offer. Reading reviews like yours is always rewarding to us as it keeps us motivated and eager to over-exceed our guests expectations. We know you will have very fond memories of Christmas 2012; from the monkeys under the Christmas tree at Drifters, to the children's holiday party, and the Christmas day visit from Santa Claus with his treats. You are correct, no requests within reason is ever too big for any member of our staff to fulfill. It is always those guests smiles that we aim to see, and we don't want you to leave until we have taken all your smiles!!! We look forward to your two visits later this year and many more in years to come. You are always welcomed to your new 'home away from home' as you are now and always will be part of the Savannah Beach family!

Been to Savannah Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!