First of all I want to say we were very disappointed by the deceit of our Virgin travel agent. Whom we very clearly asked if there was a beach, and her fully knowing we were referring to the hotel said yes. Upon our arrival we were charmed by the small local hotel as my partner and I are not big on touristic areas. We like to experience and enjoy the local culture as much as possible without sacrificing the "common luxuries" of the modern world as it is an ac...and this brings me to my review.
Upon our arrival we were received by the Johnson's travel driver who was to take us to our hotel. Although courteous, I couldn't help but feel rushed as if it were a fire somewhere and we needed to leave the airport a.s.a.p. The staff failed to realized most people on vacation are in relax mode, and more so do not know where they are so rushing them makes the experience a bit stressful.
Once at the hotel, our room was not ready. We had to wait about an hour. We were received by a courteous hostess who informed us we will be treated to a rum punch. Our room became available and still we were waiting for the rum punch. It did eventually arrive and to us was not a significant negative since we were only interested in getting to our rooms and taking our winter clothes off.
The room was terribly hot even thought the ac was on. As the days went by, the room got cooler but it never got to a comfortabel temperature. We chose the plantation room and I accredited this lack of ac "power" to the older construction etc. We rushed to change our clothes and run to the beach only to find out there is no beach !!! Yes, you read right. Even though the Savannah BEACH hotel is advertised as a beach resort, there is no beach. Well, there is a beach if you don't mind walking and swimming in two feet deep water full of corals.
The food was not to my partner's taste. In fact I was surprised to see that the lunch buffet was an array of old looking hot dogs and burgers. For a Caribbean hotel I was expecting more of a tropical and fresh variety of foods. The flavors were what I am assuming local seasoning, which quickly became old as the days went by and the menu was always the same for bfast and lunch, with the exception of the daily lunch special.
The only positive thing about the place was its "charming" old style, and the waiting staff which was extremely friendly. Especially the staff working during meal times. All else well, the food was hard to enjoy, the menu was the same day in and out, the sushi place advertised was never opened, there was no beach, we bought all inclusive and were stuck drinking daiquiris which tasted like kids drinks...
All in all we had a good time because we figured how to walk to the closest public beach and the fish fry that happens every Friday was a fantastic experience. We visited Harrison's caves which were very impressive and we also went for a submarine ride which helped make our holiday an enjoyable time, even without a beach at the hotel.
If you are looking to get away from the cold and relax by the beach with a good drink in your hand...well, this is not the right hotel for you.
- Also Known As:
- Savannah Beach Hotel Hastings
- Savannah Beach Hotel
- Savannah Christ Church
- Savannah Hotel Christ Church
- Savannah Hotel Barbados
- Savannah Barbados
- Savannah Beach Barbados/Hastings
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated near the historic Garrison Savannah on the pristine coastline of Barbados, Savannah Beach Hotel is a beachfront four-star resort that easily ranks as one of the most idyllic destinations on the island. It is a Caribbean paradise that simply must be experienced! Forget everything you’ve ever known or experienced about all-inclusive hotels… Savannah is distinctly different. It is an all-inclusive hotel with style! Dive in… Savannah is an excellent choice for a relaxed Caribbean holiday. You are just steps from the beach, ensuring a blissful holiday in the Caribbean sun. Spoilt for choice, there are 2 swimming pools, 1 that meanders through the garden courtyard and has a 4-storey waterfall, the other is located down by the beach. When it comes to family holidays, children and teens are extremely well catered for at this hotel, there is an extensive family entertainment centre (opening Easter ’12) to keep even the most energetic children entertained! For those romantic moments, why not go down to the beach for a moonlight romantic stroll before heading to the late night bar. Live entertainment 5 nights per week, including themed nights and floor shows. Weekly manager’s barbecue party. Three restaurants; the main restaurant has a twist on Caribbean gourmet dining, open for buffet breakfast, buffet lunch and dinner 7 days a week. The Beach restaurant and bar is open 7 days a week for lunch and 5 days a week for dinner serving a wide range of barbecue, pastas, grilled fish and burgers for lunch and in the evening a themed dinner including Mexican, Indian, Chinese as well as Caribbean cuisine. There is also an Asian fusion* restaurant open 5 nights a week for dinner (16 years and over only, a supplement of $25 BDS per person will apply). 4 bars including a late night bar that opens from 11.00pm – 1.00am. Afternoon tea is served daily. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Travelocity, HotelsClick and Expedia so you can book your Savannah Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.