“FAMILY HOLIDAY DREAM” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers

You added Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers to your Saves list
Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers
3.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   217 Stanley Road | R.D.1, Te Aroha, New Zealand   |
“FAMILY HOLIDAY DREAM”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Our family of 3 generations shared a holiday in NZ recently. Our first stay for 3 nights was Te Aroha Holiday Park and we had a ball!. The service was friendly and went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable.With an adult flying fox, trampoline and great playground area, pool table and piano all available for our use, this was the perfect start to our holiday. The thermal pool was appreciated and the setting was stunning.
Totally recommend this for a relaxing, fun-filled holiday - and close to Matamata for Hobbiton too!

Room Tip: This is not luxury accommodation if that's what you are looking for - but it is clean, comfortab...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
New Plymouth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

On arrival the place seemed very neglected. We booked in, no credit card facilities so this had to be processed the old fashioned manual way. This camp has clearly been let go & is certainly nothing that it portrays to be on brochures and on advertising media. Washing machines take 4 x $1 coins and dryers take $1 coins also. When I went to see if the office had any $1 coins so we could use the laundry, I was told no sorry. There is a $5 bond taken for the key to the TV room if you dare. It was so musty it was unbearable! This camp is very old, dirty, rundown and very uninviting. We didn't even trust the one hotpool that is filled at 5pm daily. Broken fences, weeds & a smelly dump station nearby are not my idea of a tranquil setting in a hotpool. I would definately not recommend this camp.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
AnnaTeAroha, Owner at Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Thank you Rach Norgate for your feedback. I am sorry that you were so disappointed on many occasions during a short visit to my Park, During the winter months, and especially when rain and wind sets in, our 10 large oak trees are shedding leaves and small twigs. Regular ground maintenance can sometimes not keep up during this seasonal occurrence. Laundry machines are operated by $ 1 coins. I am sorry that no change was available when you enquired at reception. Your complaint has prompted me to organise additional reserves. Communal rooms and the little hot pool are our guests delights, Not sure why you found these less then acceptable. Could you please contact me directly to discuss?. Once again thank you for your comments.
Rotorua
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

I made an error when booking accommodation for a Car Club tour during Easter 2014. We were ment to stay at Te Araroa holiday camp. ( great place by the way. 10 out of 10 for service and accomodation )
Any way back to what occurred with the management from Te Aroha camp.
About 2 months back we made contact with the camp via ph. ( ph number acquired via 018 directory. error number one.
When talking with Anna from Te Aroha. I gave detailed information about our planed trip. At no time did Anna ask if we may have made an error as we had g talked about the East cape and camps we would stay at on previous nights. Error number 2.
I made the booking. Paid in full. Had to make a request for confermation. As none was given until requested.
We discovered that we had made this error when we arrived at the Te Araroa camp. ( they went out of there way to help. Also stated that this is an error that occurs quite often.
We notified Te Aroha camp of this error directly. Via email.
I contacted Anna the day after about the error. To be told we did not contact her until the day after the booking. I checked time stamp on email. ( It was delivered 33 sec after I sent it on Sunday evening. )
At this point I read a few reviews about the camp and service received by others. Found them to differ a lot.
Back to my story.
After quite a few emails. It became clear that Te Aroha / Anna are more interested in a return ( $ ) than service.
I did suggest that something could be done by both camps to help future clients from the same issue.

Yes I failed to check an address. That I take responcability for.

But when all travel details are made clear. Perhaps Te Aroha holiday camp may listen to future clients. Then ensure they are in the correct Provence.

Just disappointed in the handling of this issue by Anna of Te Aroha.

Kevin. Of Rotorua

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
AnnaTeAroha, Owner at Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Thank you Kevin H for your review. I am sorry that you had made an error in choosing the correct location when booking 2 Cabins for Easter Sunday night. It must have been a difficult situation for you when arriving at Te Araroa on the East cape when in fact you had booked with us in Te Aroha near Hamilton. Unfortunately, we had not been given sufficient notification of your change of plans and your email only reached us the next day. As the initial booking enquiry was made by phone and included discussion on the location, it had never occurred to me that you might be thinking of a different but similar sounding town and I am sorry that I never questioned you about that. I am sorry that in none of the subsequent emails which all had the address attached, had this been picked up by you. I am glad that you had a great experience staying at Te Arararoa.
Woodside, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

While set in a nice country environment, the management proved to have no integrity, and dishonest in their dealings. Just to warn others to be careful when dealing with them.
Towels provided, also had been washed with remnants of tissues evident all over them.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
AnnaTeAroha, Owner at Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Thank you Rosemary B for your review. I am concerned about your comments and if possible, could you please get in touch with me to elaborate on what caused your unhappy experience? Meanwhile I have instructed our laundry lady to pay better attention when folding towels, I am sorry about the problem with yours. I will always encourage any one to report such issues with reception so we can sort these out immediately.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I lived for two days in Te Aroha holday park in one of the Tui cottage and I had a wonderful experience very quiet and got a chance to be in the hot mineral pool which was a big benefit after a long hiking trip.The cottage was clean tidy and had everything we needed and the owner Anna is such a sweet lady always ready to help and talks real polite and I got access to fast internet which is very rare in holiday parks with that kind of speed.I see alot of negative reviews but thats people with different opinions and at times people can expect some ups and downs at certain times.Lovely location and beautiful park.

Room Tip: TUI cottage near the pools and away from the noise
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Stayed overnight,staff very kind and helpful.had a cabin with fantastic views.cabin was compact,and had everything including tea making and microwave,the toilet/bathroom are communial,with powerful showers,if you have children they will enjoy the adventure play areas including tree house,trampoline flying Fox,and rope swings,would certainly come again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Needs some TLC and tidying up.
Trees are hanging down making it hard to safely park a Motorhome under.
Even driving through the gate there is foliage overhanging. The reception area is scruffy, and the swimming pool hasn't had water in it for some time.
On the plus side the playground has potential and looks like it's had some maintenance done recently.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
AnnaTeAroha, Owner at Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thank you, Rosalie for your review. When we saw your beautiful tall motorhome navigating through the canopy of mature trees here, we realised that some of the branches were hanging a bit low, and thank you for bringing this to my attention last Friday when you checked in and apologies that it has made it a bit difficult for you initially. Good news is that last week, an Arborist spend the entire day driving along on a special mobile ladder ( called a giraffe) and pruned everything that could potentially be in the way of a travelling motorhome, whilst still leaving plenty of leaves to provide shade. Our large swimming pool is undergoing renovations but the small hot pool is in operation every night ( weather permitting).

Been to Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers? Share your experiences!