“Better...........just.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 7 Bampton B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Better...........just.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Learning that this pub was under new management we went back for a drink. It's still scruffy and unfriendly. What is it the owners dont understand.........? it's a great location and with some investment and the right management could be outstanding.
If it's a nice day and you're thirsty it's agood place for a drink outside, otherwise don't bother.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Oxford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Myself and two friends visited The Swan Hotel for an evening of sunshine, food and a bit of a girly catch up and we certainly came away have maximised all three.

We did not stay at The Swan, so this review is purely based on a dining experience.

Although upon entering the bar we were advised food would be an hour wait, we were happy to grab a drink and have a natter - After all on this occasion we had tipped up without a reservation, on what was a beautifully warm sunny evening (in fact the warmest of the year to date) hoping to be able to get a table at a riverside venue.

Once we had place our order we sat out in the lovely garden and watch the boats and ducks alike drift on by. The waiting staff were extremely polite and pleasant and went out of their way to ensure we had all we requested to accompany our meal and handled my food allergy pretty well.

Although the food is what I would call pub grub, it was tasty, well cooked & presented and certainly came in portions which left us full up and happy.

Overall a nice experience and, if I had only one small criticism it would be the abruptness at which we were told about the hours wait – however, having run pub/restaurants I also appreciate how hard it is to run an extremely busy kitchen on the hottest day of the year.

I would certainly recommend this pub for a nice lunch, on a sunny day, in a lovely location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Carterton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

First visit to the swan at Radcot. Had drove past so many times and was always busy. Scenery is lovely and is nice to sit by the river. However I thought the food would have been better given the setting. Was ordinary pub grub just a bit more pricey. However Staff were friendly and the toilets clean.

• Stayed July 2013
Clanfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We went to The Swan last Friday evening and upon walking through the door we were greeted by a welcome of "if you want food you'll need to wait 35 minutes". What an awful way to greet paying customers. This staff member then complained to another paying guest as to how hard she was having to work. I cannot believe the cheek of the staff complaining to people who are keeping them in employment!

My husband tried to order the food to be told there was hardly any vegetarian food remaining and there were few choices from the (already limited menu). The wine list consisted of three choices - red, white and rose! Somehow I think the wine drinkers are seeking more variety and choice than that. The market has matured more than their menu.

In the end we had to leave as there was no veggie food for me to eat and no effort made to keep our custom. We went onto Faringdon to the Portwell Angel to be greeted by the friendliest of staff who explained menu choices and the wine list was extensive in comparison.

We will never return to The Swan while the current staff and menu are in place. There are far nicer places to spend your hard-earned pennies! The Rose Revived being one of them.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Faringdon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Firstly, I should say the swan is the closest pub to me but I'm not proud to call it my local!

After hearing awful things over the 3.5 years of living in the area my neighbours and I booked for a Sunday lunch as we knew management has changed a few times so wanted to give it a chance. Got told that a table for 1pm was not possible but 1.15pm would be ok.

It was the hottest day of the year but we all still fancied a roast so went along. We arrived to a jam packed bar and waited to order a drink and get shown to our table. There was no orderly fashion here, the bar staff were serving people pushing in rather than those who'd been waiting a while. We got told we could sit wherever we wanted and walked to an empty dining area (so much for the pushed back table booking!) The cleanliness wasn't great!

There were no menus on the table and we weren't offered one, after 15 minutes up to bar to ask for one - this was first of many returned bar visits!! Chasing up our food order after 45 minutes of waiting, receiving just 3 meals (there was obviously 4 of us) so having to ask where the other was. The young, inexperienced staff didn't ask if we wanted any mint sauce, horseradish, etc let alone spot a missing plate just dumped them and walked away! No follow up to ask how our meals were either - great roast potatoes/veg (the only positives!) but the chicken was so dry!

I agree with the previous post regarding the managerial staff shouting across rooms/garden. So unprofessional.

We'd been saying we'd take my parents for Sunday lunch once we had tried it ourselves but I'd rather take them to McDonald's because you'd get more attention, manners and better customer service from the staff from just placing your order there than a couple hours in the Swan.

• Stayed July 2013
Swindon, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Service was poor, food tasted like old leather boots and in an extremely hot day we were not allowed to use the pub umbrella in the reserved area (even tho nobody was there).

Landlord was shouting to staff in garden and just extremely money focused not customer focused.

Avoid unless desperate!

Room Tip: Dont go there!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Carterton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We decided to go here for a wedding anniversary lunch, we have driven past it many times on the way to Faringdon so this was a new experience. I was disappointed with the price of £6.95 for a jacket potato, this had a side salad, I was more shocked to pay £2.30 for a side of chips. However the service was good as it was fairly busy. The setting of the pub is lovely right next to the river where you can watch the world & a few boats go by. I would go back again as another reviewer recommended the roast dinner which looked delicious as it passed us by.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!