“great stay at st george hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Saint George Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   near Lothiarika Beach, Pefkos 85107, Greece   |
Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Pefkos
Warrington, United Kingdom
“great stay at st george hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

my partner and i had a lovely 7 day break here, last week . we were a little aprehensive after reading poor reviews on trip advisor. i would say we were very pleased with the standard of accommodation , ok its not 5 star standard but very clean, the food is varied and you can find some food that doesnt suit everyones tastes but again it isnt cordon bleu , the staff were very helpful and freindly. the bus stops outside, and the fares to lindos and rhodes town are cheap,, for the price we paid we were more than happy. thanks st george you contributed to a great holiday on rhodes..

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
stockton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in September and was expecting the worst but to be honest it was a nice place yes basic but it is Greece and paid a lot less for all inclusive than any self catering around so your not going to get 5 star! Food not up to much but Breakfast and lunch ok, ate out for dinner every night which is what holidays are all about trying different places, a few bars and restaurants on your doorstep and lardos village is a nice 15 minute walk and pefkos a good 45 minute walk

• Stayed September 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Went to Rhodes, Saint George for three weeks and had a great experience. Being a hardworking mom I wanted to go for nice vacation with my 13-year old daughetr. The hotel is a familyowend place with big rooms (we got with separate rooms) and the best service ever. A lot of turist were russians and the has some complaints but the staff always attended immediately. The rooms were tidy and clean and we got good information about different daytrips.
The food was exellent with a lot of varaity, Always a LOT of vegetables and with influence from the greek kitchen. The enviroment was nice and calm so it´s a great place to go to if you want to relax. I would defenetly go back and stay three weeks. Thanks to the Litsa-family that always did their best to make our visit a good memory.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Widnes, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Visited st George hotel in sept
Don't normally write reviews but felt compelled to do so.
After reading all the reviews we were sceptical to say the least. Boy we wish we had believed the people who reviewed the food. The hotel ( village of chalets) was acceptable as a base to stay in as we went as a family of 9 of us and we all wanted to be together and have family sized rooms. We arrived late at night at around midnight to be greeted by basil fawlty, who said "we didn't know you had a child and an infant with you" this was clearly stated on the booking confirmation. Basil showed us to our rooms and he split us as far apart as possible for all 3 parties. When we got to our rooms there was no cots for the kids. When we asked where it was he said "too late to get one and the baby should sleep in the pram". As you can imagine this didn't go down to well and we demanded he found us one and we wouldn't move from reception until we got one, miraculously from nowhere he brought us a cot, obviously couldn't be bothered to walk and find one. The morning after we went to reception and asked to be moved closer together as we booked as a family. The guy at reception was great, nothing was any trouble and he moved us closer together into Rooms 1102, 1123,1124 which were reasonable sized rooms and quite spacious. To sum up the rooms they were pretty decent for Greece, a bit smelly but that's just the drains unfortunately. If you are not very mobile there is a lot of steps and hills at this hotel so be aware if you dare to book here.
The pool is nice and Nicklaus behind the bar was very friendly. There was no problem getting a sunbed.
The drinks are served in plastic cups, less than half a pint of beer could fit in them.
The food was absolutely disgraceful, out of the possible 21 meals we ate there once and chanced it again the day after and gave up after only putting a spoonful of rice on my plate. I can only describe it as cold half cooked slop. You will be fine if you like rice and cold liver or super fatty pork. Not once did I see any Greek food like stiffado or kleftiko.Now my son in law will eat anything that's put in front of him as he isn't very fussy and even he struggled with it. It states hot snacks through the day, yesterday's stale bread with mayonnaise and cheese on was put on every day and that was it. Good summing up of the food is "Tenko prison food" After paying extra to go all inclusive we thought we wouldn't need as much money to spend but we ended up spending more than normal as the hotel is 5k from pefkos so we had to get buses and taxis to and from the hotel. Bus is very reasonable at 1.60 euros each way and a taxi is 8 euros to pefkos and 12 to lindos.
Pefkos is a wonderful place and I would recommend you stay there self catering as there are hundreds of quaint restaurants and bars serving amazing food. Lindos is also worth a visit by day and by night, it is a beautiful place and very picturesque. Excellent food !!!
To sum up then, definitely go to Pefkos for your holidays but go self catering and sample all the restaurants. Steer clear of the st george and avoid it like the plague, unless your on a diet of course and you don't want to eat anything. You have been warned!!!!!
We did enjoy our holiday but it was only because we went out for every meal.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Well where to start with Saint George's?!?! My mum and I got back from this hotel nearly 2 weeks ago. After reading the reviews on this hotel we didn't think it could be that bad, as we went to a place last year that had similar reviews and that hotel turned out to be ok. This time we were wrong! We arrived in Saint Georges and checked in and given the key to 1158, which to get to this room was like walking up a mountain as the slops were extremely steep, (if you have walking problems don't attempt this hotel!) we finally got to the room to open the door to a cupboard. The bed was probably 4 ft by 4 ft and in the heat we would stick together! We walked through to a smaller single bed (why we had that I’ve no idea) and to the balcony which was probably 2 ft and looking at a brick wall!!!!!!! We went down to reception to tell we weren't happy with the room and wanted to move as we had booked twin beds with a sea view so that's what we expected. After about 30 mins we were shown to a room that was in a different hotel called Bell Mare, another bus stop down the road. This room was brilliant; it had twin beds, a nice big fridge and a lovely big balcony. Were told for all our all-inclusive meals and drinks, we would have to walk back to Saint Georges, we didn’t mind as this hotel was brilliant and what we paid for, just a shame was in a different hotel! The food that night was OK but we were hungry and found something THAT NIGHT! After that it was all downhill, the breakfast had fried spam for bacon, mini plastic sausages, and hard boiled eggs (and I mean hard boiled). The good thing is they had Greek yoghurt and honey which we were happy with except one time when we were told that breakfast had finished 35 mins before it should have!!!!! The All Inclusive is supposed to run till 11pm, well technically it does but after 10pm you have to pay for drinks. It says there are hot and cold snacks served at the pool bar from 10am-6pm, well the pool bar actually closed at 3pm and we think the hot snacks on offer, was the coffee as there wasn’t one in sight. The cold snacks consisted of manky cheese sandwich made with stale bread and biscuits. The only drinks they served at the pool bar were beer, coke, lemonade and coffee. The main bar opens at 3pm, and the bar man was lovely, offering to mix you a cocktail, the only problem is that they are served in small plastic cups. One night we thought we would try the food again but it was horrific: the chicken looked like a chopped up carcus with everything still inside, the mince had about 2 inches of oil swimming on the top, raw/partially cooked fish that an English lady ate and spent the next two days in her room, close to the bathroom, the soup was like the water you drain off the vegetables. We didn’t choose to eat out every night we didn’t have much of an option because we didn’t want to be ill for our holiday and this hotel needs a new chef!!!!!!!!!!!!! The hotel is full of extremely RUDE RUSSIANS!!!! They look straight through you or up and down like you a piece of poo! They took plates of watermelon and I mean plate loads, which were scraped into carrier bag and taken away. They also filled up empty litre bottles with beer or red and white wine, even though there was a sign saying not to. The good thing is the pool was lovely, fresh water and with the temperatures we were in, it was very refreshing, just don’t stand, sit or do anything that would touch the blue paint from the pool. You jump in to cool off but you come out a smurf as the paint from the pool turns you skin blue, that’s hard to get off!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Eastleigh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Well , where do I begin peeps !......my wife & I returned from 2 week stay at what I would call " the st Petersburg " on 15/09/13.......we normally go self cater , but as we had 2 breaks last year ( 1 being Australia ) we'd thought we'd skimp it this year & try a last minute " all in " deal because the pennies were tight !.... Well ' WHAT A RICKET ' that was !!! , although we had seen on trip advisor that this gaff had many complaints .. in the past we have found that peoples complaints are not always warranted .. & as food is one of my favourite aspects of visiting greek islands .. reluctantly we took the plunge & hoped for the best !. I'll try & be honest so will start with the bad points ..... 1..food .. firstly if there is any left after the eastern block have had their fill is unappealing to look at , salad that looks like it's been prepared in an oven , some food not cooked thoroughly ( i.e.. raw fish that I encountered ) , lack of variety ( rice , pasta , sweetcorn being the chefs speciality on a daily basis ) & last but for me most importantly , definitely " NOT " greek !! . I have to admit though , I enjoyed some of the stuff BUT in general it was POOR !! & after 3/4 days we waved the white flag & ate out ( what a joy that was ! ) . Hot & cold snacks supposedly available from 10am-6pm was a joke , never saw 1 hot snack in 2 weeks , the only cold snack I saw in 2 weeks was cheese sarnies & biscuits ( normally the same ! ) Ice creams not available after 3pm on our second week . Beer only served in small plastic tumblers ( less than half a pint ) , & although the bar shut at 11pm .. you had to pay for a drink after 10pm ( not what i'd call all inclusive ). The 2 toasters need replacing too , don't think they'd pass an H & E test back home !. Also if you turned up late at meal times there would be a shortage of cutlery , cereal dishes , cups & glasses. The veranda where you eat has a nice outlook though but MANAGEMENT PLEASE TAKE NOTE - cut out the inceasant club music by the pool , it drives you nuts !!! ..... 2 .. accommodation .. although the area this complex is based on is tidy & the gardens/borders kept well I think it shouldn't be called an hotel ( more a village ) , as previous trip advisor buffs have explained .. it's not 1 building but a series of chalet type dwellings , which did surprise me slightly on arrival . Our chalet was what you'd expect I suppose for a 3 star gaff , hand held shower over the bath which had a " BOLT " to pull to transfer water from bath tap to shower head which " NEVER " worked properly so while enough water did come of the shower head it still came out of the bath tap at the same time ! ( room 1187 just incase if the maintenance bloke reads this ) . The sink , bath , mirror & cistern top were never cleaned properly at all . The toilet seat reminded me of a helter skelter ride .. when I leaned to the right being left handed , the seat moved to the left , not good when your in mid wipe mode !. No litter/rubbish bin ( o.k , I know not vital ) , so we left our rubbish every day in a bag . No chance of a lay in either , because when the chalet next door turned their shower or sink taps on it was so noisey you couldn't help but hear it ( so presume it was visa versa ) ...... 3 .. fellow tourists .. this bit I looked forward to with relish ! , never in all my years of travelling have I come across such a miserable , morose , rude , ignorant , & GREEDY mob as the Russians ( or eastern block comrades ). On my first morning i thought i'd try ( as always ) to communicate with my fellow tourists , bidding them good day etc . In return they looked straight through me as If I didn't exist , walked past without a how's your father ! & this was the norm for the next 2 weeks !!!. They all look as if they have won free tickets to a " chuckle brothers show " !!. However there was 1 exception , a certain yurgi ( Greco roman wrestler ) & his family .. greeted me with a 2 handed handshake , A SMILE & for me most importantly had a SENSE OF HUMOUR .. after inhaling smelling salts & getting to my feet , realising I wasn't dreaming .. it turned out to be one of my holiday highlights !. For this yurgi I take my hat off to you sir, an absolute gent who was a pleasure briefly to know ( even though we both didn't have a clue what either.of us were saying ) , at least you made an effort mate !!!! . PITY your fellow countrymen & WOMEN weren't as pleasant as you !!....... 4 .. staff .. THE ONE SAVING GRACE for this establishment were the " STAFF " , the aimiable & helpful costas on reception during the day , savos on reception in the evening/night ( who when first met seems to be a K.g.b agent ) but is actually a cuddilly teddy bear with a great sense of humour ( certainly didn't avoid him ) , nicholas the bartender ( alan carr look-a-like with a personality to match ) , nick the greek ( who despite dropping my camera on our 1st day, costing me 89 euros for a new one ) works tirelessly clearing the tables .. welcoming everyone to paradise & shooting down in flames rude Russians who have no patience ( well done mate ! ) , lofty the Lithuanian & her fellow countrymen/women who seem to undertake several roles , lastly Litsa & Emilio who apparently own the gaff ( exteremely polite , helpful & welcoming ) whom i'd like to offer this advice -- sack stevie wonder ( the chef ) & buy nick the greek a new pair of trousers !!! .... you may find you get a decent review !!!.......5 .. location .. the st Petersburg is in the modern part of lardos , just up the road from lardos village ( worth a wander to for some nice resturants ) . If you like a quiet night both will suit you fine , if you don't , then nip up the road ( 5mins on a bus ) to pefkos which for me resembled blackpool .. o.k , I am 58 & admit to having my clubbing days long behind me but for me bright lights , shows & numerous bars is not what I go to Greece for !. If you do one thing though in pefkos , go to a restaurant called " philosophia " it's set apart from the brightlights & offers stunning views at sunset overlooking the beach & sea below ( set on a cliff ). The food is good but a little pricey ( pay for the location ) , but a magical place to celebrate any special event as my wife & I did on our anniversary .The local beach in lardos is fine but stoney but in between lardos & pefkos you will find a little gem .. " plakia beach " , lovely , sandy with a small taverna/café run by manilos at one end . Lot's of brit's use it & a distinct lack of the red brigade !!!. Lindos ( 15mins by bus ) is a must visit , beautiful place , great beaches & if you visit the small bar at the back of the centre of the main beach .. do your self a favour & ask for a " coconut smoothie " .. easily the best thing that passed my lips in 2 weeks !. Hire a car & go across the island too , interesting roads & some beautiful scenery .. if you do make sure you visit " SIANNA " a lovely little village with a stunning church !. Last but not least I have to mention a certain hostillery called " HAPPY DAYS " ( last bar on left as you head out of lardos towards pefkos ) , this quiet & unassuming brit bar would not have been on my normal radar whilst on any greek island but such was my desire to hear a familiar voice through encountering & living/staying among Russia's finest that I was more than happy to break my golden rule of never going to a brit/irish bar while abroad !. BOY was I glad I did , not only was it a joy to hear a familiar voice ( all be it , a northerner ha ! ) , but I ended up going in there every evening to enjoy stimulating conversation , banter & all sorts of jolly japes !!. There you will be greeted by the lovely Dianne ( the one behind the bar ) & paul ( who is a part time barman who suffers unfortunately from bed sores due to so much time sat on his rear ha ! ) , both own/run this bar ( not forgetting their daughter who serves)...& are great company !!. Best of all though while you are there , tap into Paul's Information Service ( Supposedly ) . Having lived there for a number of years paul has a useful knowledge of where to go & what to do to make the most of your stay in Rhodes , all free just buy a beer ( but don't expect paul to serve you ha ! ). Easilly the best move I made while on Rhodes , & although I've taken the mick I loved every second in their bar/company .. definitely visit this bar peeps ( even if your like me & don't normally ) you won't regret it !!. YAMAS Dianne & paul , thankyou for being great hosts !!. I hope to se you again one day !

Room Tip: go somewhere else