My partner and I had the warmest Malawian experience thanks to hosts Taffy and Jenny at Norman Carr Cottages during our 5-night stay over Christmas 2011.
They kindly accommodated our every request - nothing was too much trouble for them or their friendly, helpful staff.
We were collected at the airport by our host Taffy and transported to the lodge. At that time fuel was scarce, Escom electricity unreliable and supplies low, but our hosts graciously worked around these inconveniences. We were lent a vehicle and a tank of fuel to explore our local surrounds, the generator operated at night to keep the fans going for 'coolth" whilst we slept and we were still able to drink our beloved Malawian G & T's to our hearts content. To top it all, we were fed three full meals a day, served by the wonderful, attentive staff and the bar service was excellent!!
The lodge is a beautiful lush haven situated right on the edge of the lake and our room was spacious - we especially loved the outdoor bathroom. The room is serviced every day. There were tea/coffee facilities in our room but due to the power outage and generator capacity, we were unable to make our own in the room during our stay there. However, there was always tea and coffee available from the main lodge.
There was no hot water from the geyser due to the power cuts, but we found that if you showered at the end of the day, the water was warm enough, the sun having heated it during the day.
My only wish is that more local fish was served on the menu during our time there, but the food was great and there was always enough for seconds.
There is a crocodile farm nearby, we took a drive to Cape Maclear and Monkey Bay, visited Club Makokola for lunch, were given a tour of a nearby village by one of the staff at our request, fed the fish eagles, snorkeled, had sun downers and played boules with the other guests, read books and magazines from their little library, checked our emails thanks to Wi-Fi and shopped at the local crafters who came after breakfast every day to display their wares. We also went on a fishing expedition to the far side of the lake with the other guests which was an amazing day outing I'll never forget.
My best times were spent on the Dining area deck overlooking the lake, watching the fisherman in their dugout boats, the local children running across the beach giggling and chattering to each other or watching the thunderstorms in the distance like a spectacular light show at night while we ate our dinner.
The memories of this holiday were made by the generous hospitality of Taffy and Jenny and their team of staff, as well as shared experiences with fellow guests and I would certainly recommend a stay at Norman Carr Cottages to all. We hope to be back one day soon for a fishing trip - thank you Taffy and Jenny and Co!
- Also Known As:
- Norman Carr Cottage Hotel
- Norman Carr Cottage Hotel Cape Maclear
- Norman Carr Cottage Malawi/Cape Maclear
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Norman Carr Cottage is situated on the southern lake shore of Lake Malawi, in the beautiful sheltered bay of Namakoma just 15km from Monkey Bay. A gentle and restful place where we promise you a memorable Malawian experience. You will be left with fond memories of this charming African country where time stands still, the pace is gentle and the scenery is stunning. Malawi has much to offer, sun drenched beaches, turquoise waters, abundant brightly coloured cichlid fishes, great for snorkeling and diving. Discover the magic of the open air aquariums which the southern lake shore is renowned for. We offer daily trips to various dive sites and remote islands for snorkeling and to experience the joy in the flight of the fish eagles ... more less