“Terrific selection but staff not overly helpful” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 5 Attractions in Keith
Type: Specialty Shops, Shopping
More attraction details
Owner description: The Whisky Shop Dufftown is in the heart of Speyside and The Malt Whisky Trail. We offer an exceptional selection of over 600 whiskies for you to buy on-line, over the phone or by dropping in to see us at the shop we have many of our whiskies available for you to try. We hold whisky tastings by arrangement for groups or individuals – it’s a relaxed yet informative way to find out more about whisky.
7 attraction reviews
“Terrific selection but staff not overly helpful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We stayed near Dufftown during the festival and popped into the Whisky shop to taste and buy. They have a terrific selection of whisky and are happy for you to try many of the varieties that they have opened. However, the staff are very nice and friendly but don't seem to have the level of knowledge that i would have expected from people who run one of the main whisky retailers in the region.

The upside is that they are cheaper for the same whisky compared to the castle whisky shop at Tomintoul. the down side is that they don not appear to have the level of knowledge or engagement that the owner of that shop has.

They have a lot of bottled open for tastings.

However, if you roughly know what you want then you will find it here at a better price.

If you can't find a whisky that suits your palette and price range here then they don't make it!!

Also, during the festival they have many visiting distillers that offer tastings of their brand.

Visited May 2014

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A great selection!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Rather went out of my way to get to this shop and I'm glad I did. I was impressed with the selection and bought a lovely 21 year old Glenfarclas. Forget the comments about unhelpful staff it's simply not the case but more not the loud and in your face service that some places provide.

OK some of the prices on more popular malts are more expensive than supermarkets but worth it for the selection of more unusual malts on offer. 100% I will be back!

Visited March 2014
Lochgelly, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

When in Speyside a visit to this shop is a must! The range is second to none and I found the staff to be helpful and a patient even to a customer like myself who has very little knowledge of whisky. There was a wide range of bottles to taste and I felt under no obligation to purchase (although I did buy a bottle).

Visited September 2013
Trondheim, Norge
10 attraction reviews
“The best whiskyshop in Speyside ?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Probably the best whisky shop in Speyside. The staff is always very friendly and helpful finding your favorite whisky. Their selection of whisky is also very very good.

Visited July 2013
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
3 attraction reviews
“Beste Whisky Shop in Dufftown!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

The best whisky shop in Dufftown, and possible in the entire country! Great selection of whisky. Including many independent bottlers. Very knowledgeable staff (and owner to I suppose). Excellent service. Have been buying whisky there for many years now. Always to my great satisfaction. They're always happy to help. For me it's a must stop every time I'm in Speyside.

Visited May 2013