“style and courtesy” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Villa   |   Via Monaci snc, 95019 Zafferana Etnea, Sicily, Italy   |
Paris, France
“style and courtesy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had a nice holiday in Monaci;the owners,a young couple full of energy,have restored an old mansion at hotel.
Guido is a good sommelier that will let you experience the best wines of Etna and will give you good advice on nearby places to visit,very proud of his hotel.
Ada took care of most of the interior decoration with great taste and passion-the best she did you see in the reception hall!-to ask her a few suggestions to decorate our new home in Paris!
Breakfast are delicious,dinners are good and mostly vegetarian,don't forget to try Ada's blancmange,made with a traditional recipe(ask her for it!).
Staff is very nice too.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

This was the last stop of our tour of Sicily. I read the reviews here and they have been spot on. This place is heaven and the perfect base camp for our assault on Mongibello. ;-)

Our room was stylishly appointed and had a spacious bathroom and shower. Singular to our room too was a false wall behind the headboard of the bead behind which we could walk and stow our luggage - out of sight, out of mind.

The extensive grounds have several orchards with olives, oranges, limes, etc. etc. Guido, the proprietor, said he is putting in a pool which will overlook the coast and the sea beyond with an infinity edge. There are also a few lovely rooms for public use including one with a billiard table though I regret the weather was too nice (thankfully) to enjoy these.

Breakfast each morning was elegant. Typically, I would take a slice from a large loaf of rustic bread, a piece of one of the artisan cheeses, a slice of fresh tomatoes, fresh oregano and a bit of their olive oil on top. Oh, the olive oil! It was so good that we brought 4 liters home. This is tasting oil with a peppery pop. Delicioso!

We missed lunch one day and Guido had Nuon (his excellent chef from Sri Lanka...sure I spelled his name wrong) bring us out some cheeses, bread olives and olive oil. Perfetto! We only had dinner one night there. The meals are meatless but they are not tasteless. I had a fantastic pesto.

The staff were all accommodating and very pleasant. But I need to give special mention to the host with the most...Guido Allesandro Coffa. Guido spent some years in the United States but he found his dream here at Monaci della Terre Nere. He is the consummate host and will stop anything he is doing to answer your question or just chat over a glass of wine. He had numerous recommendations for restaurants in the area and even gave us GPS with directions already programmed to get to them.

Room Tip: I'm sure there are no bad rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Catania, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We recently spent a very relaxing 3 day weekend at this lovely hotel on Mount Etna. The main Villa is absolutely stunning, a throw back to the Sicilian villa's of the 1800's. Everything about this facility is designed to take your mind off the hustle and bussle of busy lives. We had a fantastic view of Etna on one side of us and the sea in the distance below us, breathtaking. The estate has lovely gardens and walk paths to go for a stroll in the mornings or before settling down for a glass of local wine prior to lunch or dinner.

The main reception area is very warm and inviting. A huge fireplace with logs burning to warm the chill and a glass of excellent white wine from Etna. One of the reasons I choose the Monaci of the Terre Nere was for their wine cellar stocked with wines from the Etna area and they didn't disappoint. Even if I wasn't overly familiar with the labels or producers just pick one and be wonderfully surprised. The best bottle I tasted was from a natual wine maker, Frank Cornelissen, whose wine was grown from 80-100 yr old vines at a very high altitude of 4000ft, it was very elegant and Pinot like.

We only had one meal at the hotel but it was delicious. All of the fruits and vegetables are grown on the estate including the olive oil and everything else is sourced locally. The risotto with pumpkin was especially tasty.

The owner Guido was extremely helpful and spot on with his recommendations for day trips to Taormina, Siracusa, and Taormina. The local restaurants that he suggested were excellent. La Grotta in Acireale and il Covo Marino in Acitrezza both serving some of the best fish I've ever enjoyed.

The rooms are not inexpensive but I thought that compared to many other places that we stayed at on this trip well worth the extra few dollars for a very stress free and relaxing weekend. We will definately come back next year hopefully for a week.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in September and it offered a lovely setting and close proximity to Etna and surrounding towns. The rooms were nicely decorated, the area was rural and quiet with very nice views of the countryside. Dinner is not to be missed as it was one of the best meals we had in Sicily. All of the vegetables were from the property or nearby, all organic and prepared in a variety of interesting and delicious ways. The meal was several courses, all vegetarian (we are not vegetarians and could not believe how great the meal was) and served by the owners in their beautiful dining room. The wines that were available were also outstanding and it was interesting to learn about Monaci delle Terre Nere's desire to try to produce an organic, sulfite free wine. They seemed truly passionate about their farm/vineyard. Breakfast each morning was also very good. One word of warning, if you're using a GPS to get to this B&B, you might want to contact the hotel first and ask the name of the larger road that takes you to the front gate. Most guests mentioned that both Garmin and TomTom directed them (us included) to use a very small, bumpy, unpaved road to the front gate. Overall, we'd highly recommend this hotel for anyone interested in visiting Etna and the surroundings.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

London is buzzing with activity, cold with a misty fog in the streets. Grey skies; but, I am thinking of my time at sunny, warm Monaci delle Terre Nere (Monaci) and find a moment of peace. Outside Catania, Sicily in Zafferana Eatnea; is this haven of a land blessed with hundreds of years of loving work. Once an active Vineyard where Monks stomped juice from the grapes; now a haven for the traveler who wants time to write or the couple who needs a romantic getaway or for the family who wants to explore old Sicily in a quite, intimate environment.

At 500 feet above Sea level, Monaci is located in the middle of lush vineyards, olive trees and fruit trees; rolling down to the Mediterranean in the distance. Transformed over 4 years of consistent renovation, the Founder/Owner, Mr. Alessandro Coffa, has obviously taken time to both preserve the authentic structure and spirit of the land while providing the purest in creature comforts. The old grape stomping room is preserved to a breakfast and eating room looking over the hills. From the top balcony, the original well still catches water and is irrigated by the traditional eel swimming in the depths below. Sunrise over the Mediterranean is best from up here.

The pure flavors Mr. Coffa and his staff work to attain attract people of the highest spirit. The food served is organically grown and local, if not from the gardens on the property itself. Meals are prepared and enjoyed in true Italian fashion -- as an event to socialize, laugh, observe the surroundings and make new friends. And the food is worth every meal in savory fashion with properly paired wines.

If it’s alone time you want, there is plenty of it. My favorite time was mid morning, slightly after I had waken up; to lie on the outdoor bed under the canopy and relax, read and maybe even shower outdoors overlooking this amazing country – remembering stories of my religious upbringing.

I felt hundreds of years of history under my feet. The restaurants, sites, local destinations (recommended by the staff) took me into the middle of old Italy and generations of Sicilians living here. Many times I could only look and observe because words did not describe my feelings. And when I floated for the first time in the Mediterranean Sea, I felt a world of stress from “normal life” wash away in the salt water.

Those moments from my stay at Monaci have made a permanent imprint on my mind. I return to these moments to remember that peace, even in the middle of a cold, London rain. And when I consider my next holiday; it is Zafferana Eatnea at the Monaci delle Terre Nere house. I know I have built stronger a relationship with both the people at Monaci but also with the land… as if there is an awareness I grew through while there. A connection. I look forward to going back -- to either write or spend it with someone I love… or both.

Room Tip: For writing and views, I loved the end room on the building separate from the Main House.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We spent our honeymoon at Monaci delle Terre Nere. It was an absolute dream. Rows and rows of olive trees as far as the eye can see will take your breath away. Etna is perched on one side, and the rolling hills and beautiful sea on the other. The Suite Amabile has an incredible view of Mt. Etna and the suite's design is a high-end experience in its own right. All natural and sustainable materials are used, but you will be too busy appreciating all of the beautiful details to notice - from lighting in the natural stone walls to the cool volcano-like structure, this unique suite is a superstar yet tastefully elegant experience.

Guido and Ada are the perfect hosts. They have a very refined taste yet are incredibly gracious and down to earth. Each day we enjoyed an organic breakfast with fresh fruit and local specialties from the farm. We were fortunate enough to be there in September when Guido made grape juice from the vineyards on the property. This was the BEST juice either of us have ever tasted, and we both juice regularly. Guido is totally committed to the philosophy behind organic living and this is demonstrated throughout the management of the property and guest experience.

Nearby, we fell in love with the small fishing village of Acitrezza - the same village featured in Visconti's film, La Terra Trema. It is still somewhat frozen in time and quite charming.

Room Tip: We highly recommend the Suite Amabile!
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

A beautiful place in the etna region: old and elegant building gently and tastefully renovated/refurbished, very stylish, quiet, well located to reach mount etna, catania, taormina, other traditional etna villages or nice fishing villages on the east coast of Sicily. Important to mention: a delicious breakfast - for sure the best the we got on the island - with fresh delights from the own gardens and self-baked bread.
Guido, the owner, is very nice and helpful and has useful tipps for restaurants and places which are worth to be visited. Very comfortable to be with.
The whole atmosphere with many plants, fresh air and a beautiful surrounding is sometimes beneficated with gentle sounds of classical music within and out of the old walls of the building - really a good experience.
By the way: if you have the chance to have dinner at Monaci - book a table! Delicious! And a great view from the terrace. And Guido is a wine connoisseur who will serve the right bottle.
At any rate a place that can be highly recommended to stay.

Room Tip: The suites are larger and located in the main building, nice furbished and spacious, we stayed in th...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Monaci delle Terre Nere? Share your experiences!