“Good location and fantastic food. But management is poor” 3 of 5 stars

near Peninsula Sevanavanq Sevan Lake, Sevan 0001, Armenia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Sevan
Moscow, Russia
“Good location and fantastic food. But management is poor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I think we were the first tourists at the hotel opening this 2013 season. But nothing was ready to start civilized operationsat the hotel; they dicided to start renewals when we had arrived. As a result we had to listen to all-day-maintainance noise, their heating system had been broken and we were frozen during the first night... When I asked them for a discount (we had no chance to leave the hotel earlier or to change it as there is a lack of hotels at Sevan Lake opened before May) the manager said 'NO'... So no flexibility, no responcibility, no traditional Armenian hospitality but the price is too high. I think it is possible to find more value for money at Sevan Lake for the next time.

The only doubtless preference of this hotel is its restaurant; the food was fantastic (if you decided to visit the restaurant please try BBQ fish); thank you to Vagan, the restaurant manager, for his care there. Location is good as well and staff was very friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I went with my sister and my grandma and we had a great time. Hotel grounds are small but nice and clean. You have a great pool but no beach. I did see some people jumping into the lake from the dock, But it looked a little difficult to climb back out. Food was excellent. My recommendation is to order Armenian BBQ! It is very good! Breakfast was included.

But these young waiters tend to play very loud music at breakfast and dinner and we were not the only ones to complain about it. But it is like they turn it down then few songs later it is loud again. My sister made a point to walk over herself and turn it down in front of them after asking them numerous times.

Breakfast wasn't the best but i did find something i enjoyed. The room was ok.
The hotel needs some renovations. Don't expect anything fancy. Like the drawer of the desk was broken. But we never used it or needed it. Some walls are old and u can see cracks and paint chipping. Carpets need to be changed mainly in the restaurant area. Blanket was too small on the bed we had to order another one. The bathroom was the best and newest. There is a metal heating rack in the bathroom. That was very useful but its not found in every room.

TIP: As a young single female do not smile and be friendly with the male waiters and other male workers or armenian local men!! They have a very different mentality and feel that if a young lady smiles at them and is friendly, they have a chance to sleep with her and do not leave u alone. That bothered me the most! All the time trying to chat you up and using words of endearment to me as if they know you. They are not professional and they did try and call my room 2 times to have me come down and have a drink with them at the bar. The impression they left was they are very low class people. Even one smile and they keep bugging you. And for me it was very different coming from Canada where everyone is always friendly with each other and smiles all the time.

I did not want to be too mean to the waiters after as they do handle my food. But I did leave a hint that I'm not having it, by not answering the 2nd phone call and ignoring and not smiling all of the next day, which was my last day. There was even an old male local with his son and wife and they were asking me a regular question and when his wife left, he tried to get my # and was hitting on me and him i had to tell him off in a very rude way. I wanted to approach his wife and tell her that he has no decency but i never saw them after that.

The female workers like Front Desk and Housekeeping were very polite and friendly i enjoyed their service.

Room Tip: The cottages are a lot better then the regular rooms
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

The Best Western Bohemian Resort is right on Lake Sevan. We actually walked along the beach to the monastery Sevanavank--and ate at Ashot Yerkat--excellent. The service at the hotel is very friendly, all English speaking. We had cottage 222 right on the lake. The cottage is very clean and spacious: bathroom and living room downstairs, 2 bedrooms upstairs. The bedding was clean and comfortable, and yes, the sheets don't stay on the mattress but the view of the mountains and the monastery are priceless. The hotel was a good deal and comes with a delicious (although untrained staff--cups missing, out of break, no cheese etc).
The hotel organized a car and driver to Yerevan for 9000AMD--a steal.
I tried to book this hotel on expedia, orbitz and the Best Western website but was unable to do so. I finally contacted visitarmenia.com and they made a reservation for me. It would have been sad to miss out on such a great place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Biel - Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

We had a very good time at this hotel, the staff was very friendly and helpful. The food was exquisite.
The staff organized a good taxi driver for our journey around Sevan lake, and the sight from the hotel at the lake is just marvelous. Probably because we were some of the first tourists of this year's season, there where not yet many other tourists at this hotel, and therefor we assume the cook/cooks put all their effort in the preparation of our meals, which were by far the best ones we had during our individual trip all over Armenia/Nagorno Karabakh.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Luxembourg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

The hotel has a nice seaside location by Lake Sevan and, on arrival, the property looks very nice with a nice pool and lovely view over the Sevan.
The grounds and seaside bar are very pleasant and the free wifi was a welcome plus.
On the minus side, there is no beach. The property is by the lake shore, but the only way to actually get into the water is to go down from the Jetty.
The restaurant serves decent food and breakfast is pretty good, the usual Armenian mix of bread, cheese, jams and sausages.
The hotel is seriously let down by the rooms. While there are balconies on show, these are the cottages or family rooms. Double rooms have tiny windows. They are quite small, dark, and have small bed.
Annoyingly, housekeeping uses a single sheet, not big enough for the narrow double bed (I'd guess a 140cm wide bed), to protect the matress.
What this means is that there is precious little between the person sleeping and the matress that everyone uses. If you move about a bit, you're very likely to end up sleeping directly on the matress - like everyone else does. The whole experience doesn't feel right or hygienic so, despite the fact that most staff speaks good English, which is a nice change in Armenia, I'd probably stay elsewhere if I went to Sevan again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Yerevan, Armenia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

Pros:
Comfortable rooms and cottages, swimming pool

Cons:
No beach (after the lake level rise)
Lack of training among waiters (e.g. usage of perfume during service)

PS: This hotel is not in Yerevan! It is near the city of Sevan and at the lake Sevan shore.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Bohemian Resort? Share your experiences!