“A great place to stay in the southern part of Armenia” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Mirhav

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Goris
Hotel Mirhav
You added Hotel Mirhav to your Saves list
100 Mashdots Street, Goris, Armenia   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Goris
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A great place to stay in the southern part of Armenia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

Hotel Mirhav is a great base to explore the southern part of Armenia. Housed in a renovated home, the hotel is decorated with tons of old Armenian kilims and wine jugs. Each room has its own unique flavor and style, with antique furniture adding to the charm. Its a wonderful mix of the ancient and modern, scandanavian style design.

Breakfast is normally included in the room rate. As the previous reviewer noted, there are few other options in Goris for dining. The restaurant at the hotel also does wonderful, traditional Armenian dinners. You simply have to order the dinner a few hours ahead of when you'd like to eat.

The staff are wonderful - open to all suggestions and extremely helpful. The Mirhav is a great base for exploring the Southern parts of Armenia. You can get to all the sights in the south and back to the Mirhav in a day's drive. Goris itself is a quaint 19th century town that provided a lovely backdrop for exploring the history and nature in the area, or just relaxing in a quite little town.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Greek first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

I had seen pictures of the Hotel Mirhav on the Internet, and it just looked so pretty, I had to give it a try. The Mirhav really is a rarity in small town Armenia. The Mirhav ("Pheasant") hotel was founded by Shahen Zaytentsyen, a German-Armenian, in 2005. It's absolutely adorable and very carefully constructed, full of elegant furnishings and Armenian artwork. The facilities are all very modern, clean, and comfortable; it could easily be a boutique hotel in any western country, but with a bit more country charm.

My room was simply furnished, but the bed was huge and the view incredible. Of course, there were still a few problems during my stay (it's eastern Armenia, after all!). We lost power for about 12 hours, and the next day I didn't have any hot water. Once we did have power, my cable didn't work properly and I had to wait a while for an employee to come up and set it up correctly.

I also had a a big problem finding food during my stay. The cafe on the first floor isn't really a restaurant; it's primarily for serving meals to groups on tour. But there aren't any other restaurants nearby (all I could find in all of Goris that was open was a small cafe serving hotdogs and ice cream), so I had to plead my case to the hotel staff so that I could be served with the tour group. They do however serve breakfast to all guests in the morning. Also, strangely, the hotel is a little paranoid about keeping their rooms clean, and food isn't allowed in hotel rooms.

Although the hotel is quite modern, don't expect any extra services during your stay. There's no Internet available, no computers, except for the one used by the hotel staff. They don't arrange excursions, although they were at least willing to call me a taxi. But also don't expect them to know any tourist information. They couldn't even tell me when buses came and went.

But in spite of all my complaints, I had a really nice time here. The hotel's clean and attractive setting was truly rejuvenating, and the town of Goris is charming, full of tree-lined cobblestone streets and friendly Armenians. And the natural landscape around Goris couldn't be any more stunning. I really do hope to return to Goris and the Mirhav one day!

• Liked — attractive and clean
  • Disliked — technical problems, lack of business services
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Mirhav? Share your experiences!