“Great place for a vacation on a budget” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Paradise Beach Resort Zanzibar

Save Saved
You added Paradise Beach Resort Zanzibar to your Saves list
Paradise Beach Resort Zanzibar
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   (Temporarily closed due to fire) | Road Marumbi, Uroa, Tanzania   |
Jinja, Uganda
“Great place for a vacation on a budget”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My husband and I went there on our honeymoon. Everything was pretty average, and the food was definitely not anything to get excited about (especially for Americans) but what made this place stand out was their staff. The staff was absolutely FANTASTIC! They were helpful and friendly and some of the hardest working hotel staff I've ever seen.

Paradise was significantly less expensive than other resorts, and the price should show you a bit of what to expect. It's not fancy or 5 star by any means, but it's comfortable with a great ocean view (no beach front on the exact property though, you have to drive 5 minutes to get to their beach). If you're looking for a nice get away for a few days and you don't mind the beach part, we highly recommend this place, just don't expect anything too fancy.

**Also don't use the hotel taxi, they are almost double the price of what the town taxi costs. The local transport called a "Daladala" is only 3,000 to town and not that bad to take.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
AntonideCastro, Director of Sales at Paradise Beach Resort Zanzibar, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thanks for your review. Our staff is indeed wonderful. This place out stands a little because of them! Regarding the Resort, we have just begun an extension, building a new restaurant and kitchen, upgrading a few rooms, and featuring 4 new rooms built on top of the Ocean.
We take good notice about your comments regarding transport. Thanks again for choosing Paradise Beach Resort

112 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Turkish first
Port-au-Prince, Haiti
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I stayed in this hotel to relax for eight nights and achieved this very well. The hotel is set in a hollow square around the pool with the open end of the square against the sea.
On arrival I was met with friendliness and a helpful receptionist who pointed out the different options available to ease the stay. You can pay on arrival to have breakfast included, breakfast and dinner, all meals or all inclusive option which includes drinks.My room was excellent with a high standard of cleanliness. A large lounge with two single beds against the walls and the bathroom off that lounge also off the lounge a queen bed in the master bedroom with a secure safe. Air conditioner in bedroom, fan in lounge. Only one chair/stool in the entire room if you have more than one person then you sit on the single beds. The room cleaning staff are efficient, very friendly and get on with their job. On the balcony there is a small table and two chairs.
The pool and bar beside it very nice and well thought out. There are free snacks (depending upon your inclusive status) available throughout the day. I took the three meals option and have no regrets. Staff welcome you into each meal (all al a carte-buffet style) perhaps a little too much but that is personal opinion. The dinning areas are clean and well kept and the meals are very nice with a wide range of food options. Never boring. The guest relations manager is Italian and is approachable and friendly.
The one disappointing aspect was that one of the three dining areas protrudes into the sea on a pier. The sea floor is covered with rubbish and during low tide could be easily cleaned up. The rubbish included plastic bottles, clothes materials etc.
There is no actual swimming beach at the hotel, there is a sea wall and the sea comes up to the wall and then goes out over 500 metres. The swimming beach is apparently very nice and a few minutes drive away via the free hotel bus which runs regularly throughout the day.
The gym is small but adequate and includes two massage chairs. I had two massages there and these were excellent and provided by a skilled masseuse. A highlight for me and well worth while.
All up a most excellent stay from the time the hotel arranged uplift from the airport for me to the delivery to Stone Town so I could continue the tourist aspects of Zanzibar. Throughout my stay I received friendly and courteous service from all staff and did not hear any bad comments from other patrons. Thanks. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: The rooms are set in a group of four, two at ground level and two above them. If you want uninterrup...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thanks for such a precise review. There is not much to say for our side. Regarding the Indian deck, we are actually refurbishing that area of the Resort and converting it into a 4 high standard rooms constructed over the Ocean. We are also constructing a new dinning area and kitchen. Hopefully the next time you visit us, we will be able to offer you a better Relaxing experience
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Almost everything about this hotel is excellent. Beautifully laid out - seating areas, bar, fine dining restaurant which is really to be recommended, other restaurants have very good choices, Beach, pool and garden area are beautiful, staff are attentive and friendly but not overbearing. Even the gift shops and services are good. We have a so-called Executive Suite but our gripe would be that it would be better to offer a sofa capable of sleeping 2 small children. As it turned out, we were able to use the room for 2 adults and 2 small children, but only because we put 3 in the king-sized bed and only one on the small, hard couch. WiFi was slow. The water had a few temporary problems, only coming out as a slow drip for about 20-30 minutes one day, but that was rectified with no real hassle. So all in all a very lovely stay. But seriously overpriced.

• Stayed December 2012
Ashdod, HaDarom, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I really wanted to get away from all the pressure of my work and day to day life, I then a friend suggested we take a trip to Zimbabwe or South Africa, we stayed at the hotel for five days, being tow couples we took tow double rooms, the rooms were big, clean, and nice. I really enjoyed having the choice to go to the pool or to the nearby beach (want really swimable). The staff was helpful and professional and helped me book my excursions and suggested where to dine outside the resort. I dined out because I prefer a larger selection of food and drinks, but the foot at the resort was good as well, we took tow trips One the snorkling trip which I highly reccommend(realy great) and the other being the stone town tour where they provide you with tour guides and drivers (nice).Overall, our stay there was really a nice experience and I recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Markham, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Just to mentor something about this trip off Tanzania East Coast, in the city of Uroa, I am enjoying a spacious holiday complex by the sea with 700 meter of sea front, a perfect authentic African style with European comfort. Believe or not the cost is affordable. The Paradise Beach Hotel is like a resort for people to relax, playing golf, swimming inside or outside, sun bathing with Vitamin D rich sunny wellness. What is more, it is like a life experience to travel to a place like this, a paradise dream to come true. Every body should have a faith to live, dignity and courage to make dream, no matter what, i think I have done this and of course you can make this as one as well. Please watch my two photos that I have captured the moment I dream of and I should have more photos to post in future. Salute, in God I bless. I have a dream.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I hadn't had enough time to go on vacation in the last several years and needed a quiet getaway. My cousin suggested Paradise resort as she vacationed there last year. It was the perfect choice!

I stayed in one of the villas. My room was large, clean, and still reflected the local culture. I really enjoyed having the choice to go to the pool or to the nearby beach.

I dined out often because I prefer a larger selection of food and drinks. The food at the resort wasn't bad but there was more to offer nearby.

I am from the US and it was easy to find an English speaking staff member.

This was a peaceful and relaxing vacation which was just what I needed! It was great to enjoy the beauty and culture of Africa during the day and stay in luxury when I return to the resort.

I just returned home and already want to go back!

• Stayed February 2013
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Eight of us stayed here for five nights we had four double rooms.
Many of the staff were very lovely and helpful when needed where as some made me feel uncomfortable byy speaking in their own lanaguage and laughing to each other half way through my convertsaion with them.
The food in the buffet was okay, we went else where for food majority of the time.
The beach at the hotel is not swimable and raely lookable but the resort does offter bikes so you can bike for five minutes down to another becach which is beautiful.
We took two trips through paradise. One being the snorkling trip which I highly reccommend and the other being the stone town tour where they provide you with tour guides and drivers. When booking the snorkling trip in advance for eight of us the morning of thr trip only seven could turn up due to one of us falling very ill. I diid not appreciate the fact that they made us pay the entire fee for the sick person and made us feel like it was our fault for thme not turning up for the tour.
The swimming pool is great, clean. The rooms are beautiful and clean and the cleaning staff come and trhoughly clean every day and help even if you need something small.
The gym you have to pay for which i found weird for a resort and there is no room service so food timing is difficult.
One person that stood out to us was a young man of 20 years old who works there (I have stupidly forgotten his name), he is funny, kind and caring and the way he interacts and organizes things for everyone is above and beyond, a special thank you to him!
The resort also holds local activites and shows each night which was a gret idea and also gave you the prefect idland local feeling.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Paradise Beach Resort Zanzibar? Share your experiences!