“One of the best places I've been” 4 of 5 stars

Paradise Beach Resort Zanzibar
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Road Marumbi, Uroa, Tanzania   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Uroa
Ventura
“One of the best places I've been”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This place is very well run. The staff is friendly and accomodating. The food is very good. The private beach is only a few minutes away and their bus does run back and forth with great ease.

I recommend this place.

One thing: There is a guy there named Josepe that runs the taxi's, he is terrible. He quotes high prices to you to get to the airport or ferry after you've just spent a fair share of money staying there. It doesn't make any sense. The resort is fair on their pricing and accomodating, they upgraded the friends we came with.

But then, when it's time to go, and you say farewell, they allow this guy to trip to steal your money. Anyone who's spent any time in Africa know's the routine of the Mzungu price, getting stiffed all the time and having to negotiate every step of the way. I was very disappointed that this was how i had to leave the property. In a unnecessary fight with this man for one taxi ride, after spending 100's of dollars over the prior 4 days and truly having a wonderful time.

Room Tip: All were nice
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
AntonideCastro, Gerente at Paradise Beach Resort Zanzibar, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thank you for your nice review, Im happy that you had a nice holiday, I remember that you was together with a group of friends. You had all together a great time here in Paradise Zanzibar.

About the taxi, its a bit out of our control, but I remember the driver. Please send me a email how much you paid, we will see if it was markt conform, when not they have to pay the money back.

Thanks,
Bert Schoonvelde

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Turkish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

there were very few guests staying, but the rooms were spacious and clean. The staff were friendly and helpful The beach was not accessible, but the was a free shuttle to a private beach further away. The only criticism I have is that the 'all inclusive 'was very confusing. I booked what I thought to be AI, but was apparently 'soft' all inclusive, which didnt include drinks. I was confused as to the difference between that and full board and it wasnt really explained to me.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
AntonideCastro, Propietario at Paradise Beach Resort Zanzibar, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, sorry we can not see in this review your name and when you stay here. Our meal and drink plans are very simple and clear. We have for every guest the option to choose Breakfast, Halfboard, Fullboard, Soft drinks all inclusive and Alcohol all inclusive.
If you book the Soft & Alcohol all inclusive you have also the drinks inclusive. You can take so much you like. So I suggest you took the full-board meal plan. This is covering all meals, snacks en water/juice during the meals. Our Soft-all inclusive is only 30 US day, this is a very good deal.

You say it was quit here, so we dont know when you was here, the resort is always fully or almost fully booked.

About the beach, we have 2 beaches, both are private and without beachboys! The beach on the resort have a tide beach, but there is always a big part with white sand, sunbeds and umbrellas. The second beach were our beachhouse is located is maybe the best beach from Zanzibar. This makes our resort very actractive, you can choose were you like to go, and see also something from local live in the village.

Paradise Beach

But we are happy that you had a good stay here.
Muscat, Oman
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed five nights (August 2012) in this resort with my boyfriend and one friend.
The place is not so nice..it is better the north of Zanzibar and it is the only resort that I saw (fortunately we rented a car and we were able to go around all the island) that hasn't a beach (to go to the beach you have to take a bus that pass every hour)
But the real problem of this resort is the management.
When I arrived in my room there were neither pillows nor toilet paper and the curtain was broken.
There are two restaurants (you can eat a la carte or buffet), but you can eat only from 8 to 9,30.
The first night I tried the buffet..but unfortunately I found a little stone in the rise that broke my tooth.
I said that to the responsible of the restaurant that night (a girl called Anna), but she didn't do anything.
I stopped have a dinner in that place and every time that I met that girl she pretended to didn't see me.
After two days of this comportment with nobody that asked me about what happened (only the cook said sorry for what happened after talking with my friends), I went to talk with that girl and the manager (the guys that work there said to me that is the manager and the owner).
I supposed that the manager didn't know anything about what happened since there wasn't that night.
But he said that he knew but he couldn't do anything, so I asked why they couldn't say neither sorry.
Finally the manager said sorry for is comportment while Anna said that there were a lot of people in the resort and she couldn't recognize me..but after two seconds said that she saw my friends the day before (so she is able to recognize the people or not? and why she didn't ask anything to them??).
I am very disappointed with this way of acting that is not compatible with this kind of work..she even didn't say bye to me and my friends when we did the check out..she was there (behind the desk) but looking at another direction! ridiculous!!
and nobody compensated me for my tooth..

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
AntonideCastro, Gerente at Paradise Beach Resort Zanzibar, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Hello again,

We know who you are, you with your friends are wroting now 4 bad reviews. All other normal guest reviews are good. So there is something special with you to have the intension to harm the resort. Tripadvisor took before your review out, now you write again.

We can say only to our new guest, come and see our nice resort. You will be happy, and we give all our guest the guarantee that every stay is perfect! The resort is almost always fully booked that say enough.

al the best,

director resorts
Veghel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

When we visited last june, there was practically nobody in the resort and it felt like we had it to ourselves. The room was very spacious and clean and was just perfect. We stayed here for 5 nights and the staff kept it very clean throughout our stay. The food was ok, the staff serving it was very very friendly. The pool at the hotel was very nice given the fact you cant swim in the ocean since there is no beach at the hotel. The location of the hotel is kind of isolated and it takes a while go get around. The cost to get around is also very expensive, f.e. 80 dollars to go to the northern part of the island which is an hour away. The guy organizing the tours and taxis spoke poor english and agreed to everything we said, later saying : no no, that was not the price agreed. I would say that was the negative part of this hotel, since you are on vacation and not in the mood to argue.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
AntonideCastro, Propietario at Paradise Beach Resort Zanzibar, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for staying in our resort and good to know that you had a great time.

Sorry that your taxi to the north of the island was in your opinion to much, but I will explain about this. Its arround 60 km drive, both way is 120 km, and the taxi was waiting a few hours for you to bring you back. you paid 80US that is a bit more than 60€. No to bad, in Europe you pay it for a half hour drive. We have englisch drivers here, normaly for a taxi job not so important the languages, but we learn from it and we will ask now each time if the guest need a Englisch driver. Thank you for this tip.

We are in a good location from the island, we are in the middle from the east-coast direct on the Indian Ocean. Every day a fresh breeze is cooling down the African Sun. From our location it is easy to go to the south or north. Also Stone Town is not so far away, only 35 km. So if you like to do excursions or visiting town we are in the middle. For excursions or taxi you pay by us a lot less than other hotels in the north.
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I stayed with a friend, as part of a Wedding party, for 4 days in September. The hotel has a number of two story buildings with thatched roves, is a large crescent shape around the kidney shaped swimming pool and bar area. Although at the water’s edge, there is no beach actually at the hotel, but there is a nice sand area with sunbeds and hammocks as well as seating on the grass and around the pool.
The restaurant served buffet style breakfast, lunch and dinner which is reasonable well stocked and varied but a real shame that the food is quite bland rather than the exotic spices and wonderful fish I was expecting.
Food can also be ordered all day from the bar and delivered to your sunbed, hammock or chair, but again disappointingly, it is a mainly western style menu without the ingredients or cooking knowhow to do it well. I asked the server what his best dish is and he said “we have nice chicken today, you can have it with chips”. I did, the chicken was very good albeit greasy and the chips were ok.
The bar is lively and open so long as there are customers. No money is taken at the bar and instead you need to sign for each order to charge to the room. This slows the service down, but suits the whole Hakuna Matata ethos of no worries, take it easy and encourages you to relax and embrace the beauty and charm.
The reception area is large with seating, a tv, pool table, table tennis and shop. The shop sells a lovely range of local goods and there is a tailor on site who will sew up whatever clothing item you want!
There is a small fitness area with saunas, massage chairs, vibration plates and a couple of items of gym equipment. The hotel also offers a range of beauty treatments, and I had a wonderful massage – 1 hour for £30 which I would highly recommend.
There is also a volleyball court and an animation worker – Cassano, who was very friendly and encouraged people to get involved but without pressure.
As we were there for a Wedding, our party made use of two additional spaces at the hotel – a circular wooden frame at the end of a pier out over the Indian Ocean for the service – I think this is also used for special themed buffet nights. And, a conference area which we used for the reception with a stage and large dancing area.
The hotels own beach is 5 minutes by minibus (which runs freely once an hour or pretty much whenever you need it). It is a beautiful beach with clear waters and white powder sand. A hotel bar and toilets, lots of loungers including the double bed and swing kind. As part of the Wedding, we had a beach BBQ and disco here, which I think the hotel organise weekly anyway, which was excellent, with BBQ’d lobster and octopus among lots of other fabulous food.
Overall, this hotel is a tropical, rustic escape. It is not 5 star polished marble, but is has much more charm, authenticity and pleasure.

Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is a very nice resort for the cost. We paid $50 a night for 2 people (we were at a wedding there so I think this is a slightly reduced rate- we're also Tanzanian residents). The pool area is lovely- big pool, lots of lougers and deck chairs, hammocks on the sand area next to the pool and a bar that does snacks. There isn't a beach but a bus will take you to a nearby private beach (we didn't go so I can't comment).The rooms were not luxurious but very nice and very clean. The water pressure was excellent in the shower and the water was hot all day. In fact, I think they have electricity was on all day.
There was a problem checking in- I had asked for a room upstairs and despite being told that I could have this it wasn't available when I went to check in. Many others had not yet checked in and it shouldn't have been a problem. Eventually another person arrived and asked for a ground floor room so we did get our upsatirs room but it was not a nice start to the stay.
The food was just OK- we were limited to the buffet as the kitchen won't take a al carte lunch orders after 12pm (but there is a lot of choice on the menu). I understand this on the day of the wedding as the kitchen was too busy preparing that food but it was the same on the day after.
Unlike other places we have stayed the staff are pleasant and usually faster (not for lunch- it seems to that the kitchen has a hard time handling more that a few orders at a time!!)
However, all in all it is very good value for money and I'd certainly recommend it for a family holiday. One last thing- the credit card machine was broken when we checked out. We were short of about $75 in cash but luckily we borrowed the shortfall from a friend who was also staying there or it could have been a very unpleasant end to our stay.

Room Tip: Upstairs room are more private and have a nicer breeze. Ask for sea facing as the rooms are in a squ...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
AntonideCastro, Propietario at Paradise Beach Resort Zanzibar, responded to this review, September 11, 2012

The wedding party was a great succes, resort was fully booked. The official wedding on the jetty in the Indian Ocean, the dinner and party in our theatre and the day after a great beachparty.

In your reservation was not a first floor room booked, but as you know in short time we changed your room. So everyone happy! And on your check out, Zanzibar was without power, so the credit-card machine didn´t work.. but 10 minutes later the power came back.

About the A-la-Carte, the bride and groom asked us to serve only the special dinners what they selected. But for sure you must have enjoyed the food. 6 course dinner, dance and music..

Again we will say thank you, also our staff enjoyed the great wedding party.
Lymm, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed at Paradise Beach Resort for five days recently (August) as part of a two week holiday around Tanzania.

We were picked up from the ferry port in Zanzibar Town by their own transport which was a nice touch. The journey from the port is 45 minutes minimum depending on how fast the driver goes. Paradise Beach charge $35 for the transfer which is expensive but about right for that length of journey in Tanzania.

Paradise Beach Resort is isolated and far away from any civilisation but to be honest everything you need is right here. They do offer taxi services for the above price to Stone Town as and when you want them with no waiting time at all.

With regards to the resort itself this is truly paradise. The rooms are basic but clean and are regularly sprayed to kill any insects including mosquitoes. The rooms are contained in individual chalets. There is one room upstairs and one down. The chalets surround a lovely pool and are surrounded with palm trees. There is also someone that will actually climb one of the trees and chop down a coconut for you (For a small tip of course)!!

We had the full board option which includes breakfast, lunch and dinner. You will not be disappointed with the food here. They provide such a wide variety and plenty. You will not go hungry.

The one thing that I would say with regards to this is that the website and resort name are misleading. This resort is not on a beach. It overlooks a stunning bay. The tide comes in mid afternoon and goes out in the morning, although this did not bother me one bit.

The resort does have access to a gorgeous private beach which they drive you to free of charge if you fancy a change of scene from the pool. We went there once and it was brilliant. A game of football was organised by the staff with some locals. The staff also try and organise things around the main resort too, mainly volley ball which I participated in a couple of times.

With regards to the staff I wouldn't of wished for a more friendly and welcoming group of people. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we felt totally at home. Most of the time they just walk round chatting to you like you've known them for years. Very nice touch!!

If I ever get the change to come back to Zanzibar I will not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
AntonideCastro, Propietario at Paradise Beach Resort Zanzibar, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for your nice review, we are happy that you had a nice holiday in our resort.

I will explain you about our resort name: Paradise Beach Resort , the official name from the beaches arround the resort is "paradise beach" Ask a local and they know were paradise is....

The beaches arround the resort is a protected area by Unesco, the sea grounds are very special and thats also the reason that you see many local people walking in the sea to find seafood. There also a special study going from the university from Sweden about this Paradise Beach.
It is so special in the world that since a long time the area here is calling "paradise"

So that was for us the reason to name our resort Paradise Beach Resort.

And we are in the lucky situation that we have 2 beaches. One is the natural high/low tide beach in from of the resort and the second beach close to the resort. This beach is our own private beach what is maybe one of the best in Zanzibar. Long white sand beach, quit, clean, private, and almost no beachboys who are disturbing your holiday.

SO when you stay in our resort, you will be doble happy!

Been to Paradise Beach Resort Zanzibar? Share your experiences!