“It could be so much better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Clarence Hotel

The Royal Clarence Hotel
You added The Royal Clarence Hotel to your Saves list
The Royal Clarence Hotel
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   31 The Esplanade, Burnham-On-Sea TA8 1BQ, England   |
Ranked #13 of 13 Burnham-On-Sea B&B and Inns
Birmingham
“It could be so much better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We used to visit Burnham regularly when we caravanned so thought we would have a weekend away. Read about the Clarence, very mixed reviews but new management thought we would give it a chance.
First impressions outside it looked very old and in need of a paint job. Met by duty manager, very friendly and carried our cases upstairs to the bedroom. Whilst doing this he informed us that there was no longer a restaurant just bar meals and the very substantial menu on the internet was no longer available.
The bedroom was clean, stains on the carpet aside, but looked very tired. The bed seemed to be six inches off the floor and every single spring stuck into your body. Very uncomfortable. Breakfast was good but very disorganised. Fried eggs on request but took a long time to arrive. The bar prices were very competitive.
Overall we had a great weekend as the sun was shining, Weatherspoon pub had good food and equally good prices.
Refurbishment has started but before I would go again THAT bed would have to go.
As the title says, "it could be so much better".

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Hampshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Their own personal website portrayed the hotel to a far higher standard then what we were confronted with when we got there. If their website had been a true reflection of what to expect we would not have booked ..... Buyer beware because we checked out sooner and waited two weeks for a refund less a cancellation fee ..... Not good ........ Mattress .... Not good .....shower .....not good ......restaurant ...... Not at all like detailed on their website ..... All these things can be fixed and improved on, so ...... If you are reading this six months after date of our posting maybe all the negatives have been sorted ...... Can say lots more but as we want to give the new management a chance to improve we will leave it at that .....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Walsall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Lets get things right, this is not the Ritz, but I did not pay Ritz prices either.

The hotel is basic, but clean, we stayed for 1 night in a double sea view room, we were in a room above the porch and the view of Burnham sea was lovely, there is a double bed, plenty of storage available, tea and coffee making facilities, with a large en suite comprising of toilet, shower and sink. Seeing as we were using this hotel purely as a base as somewhere to clean up and sleep it suited our needs perfectly.

We ordered breakfast, and was surprised to find a full English plus cereals, orange juice etc available, I thoroughly enjoyed my breakfast and must say the bacon and sausage was good quality.

The staff were extremely helpful, and suffice to say we will book here again, in fact it is unfortunate that we have just attempted to book a room for July but they are fully booked, need I say anymore.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We stayed at the Royal Clarence in April. It had just changed hands and the owner was on hand to explain many of the changes that were being made. Our room was just above the glassed in porch with a great view of the beach and sea. It was clean, neat and affordable. The beds were comfortable and the bathwater hot that night. A full-English breakfast was served in the pub. The new owner was very, very helpful, including offering to lend us his GPS for the rest of our journey if we wanted to return it by mail. They were still working on the decor but the pub had just had a facelift and they were working on the reception area and rooms also.

Room Tip: The rooms in the front do have a good view and the sea front makes for a very nice walk!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We checked into this hotel to go to my Wife's workmates party. A lot of her colleagues where staying in other B&B's nearby, which proved useful, later in this story. We liked the look of this Hotel as it was right on the beach with sea views - However all the rooms are at the back.
At the front is a long glass porch which you can use as an entrance too.

We got ready and went to the party and had a very enjoyable evening. We were told to use the porch doors to get back in. The Time must have been about 11.45 ish. When I tried to open the door, someone had put the catch on the inside so we could not open the door. I tried several times to open the door and then tried to phone the reception. No answer!!
We shouted out to see if we could wake someone in a room, but because the rooms were in the back of the hotel, no one could hear us.
After about 20 mins - some of my Wife's friends walked past to see what was up. They offered to take us back to their hotel and sleep with them. My wife agreed and went with them, but I was not comfortable with this idea, so I was going to stay and keep trying this door.

Another 20 mins went by and and another man arrived who was also staying in the Hotel. He had seen this problem a couple of times and assured me he could get the door open. But he too could not open it. He was with some work colleagues, one of which lived around the corner and asked me if I would like to go back for a coffee. I agreed. It was a cold February evening so a warm drink was very inviting. I had a coffee and telephone my wife. She gave me directions to the Hotel she was in, with her work colleague. It was about 2 am by now, so I walked to meet her and we stayed in her colleagues room.

We woke up early at 7am and walked back to the hotel and complained what had happened. We had our breakfast and checked out.

I would like to say we had a nice stay, but we did not actually stay at this hotel. Our suitcases did!! They might leave a review later!
I look back on this night and have a giggle to myself. But at the time - I was drunk, cold and all I wanted was a warm bed. LOL
The manager explained the night porter had left early, and should have been there to let us in. I am sure this wont have happened to anyone else - but who knows.............

Room Tip: Make sure you can get back into the Hotel after 11pm!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Paul C, Owner at The Royal Clarence Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2014
The Hotel has changed ownership since this guest stayed.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My husband found a deal for the Clarence hotel in burnham and booked a short break for us to use as a base for a quick visit to clarkes village and glastonbury. I must admit that when I looked on here, I was a bit scared of what we would find at this hotel. I didnt have to worry at all.

We arrived at around 4pm and a really nice older chap checked us into the hotel. he offered to help with our bag but hubby is there for that. The room was a little on the small side but had enough space for our things and the shower room was quite big.

We had an evening meal in the bar and it was really nice. Nothing fancy but well cooked and priced very cheaply. Breakfast was great and more than filled us up for the day.

On the second night, we asked the hotel for restaurant suggestions and were directed to an Indian 2 minutes walk away. They had a special gourmet night on and we spent under £10 each plus drinks. Well pleased.

Our second night in the hotel was so peaceful that we very nearly missed breakfast. Thankfully the staff hadnt cleared away and were kind enough to cook us a full english.

Overall, the hotel could do with some new decor but it was clean and the welcome was first class. We had missed the illuminated carnival and after speaking with the hotel were going to book in for that in 2013.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Our family stayed at the hotel for the free firework display and illuminated carnival.

We loved the character of this hotel, the odd squeaky floorboard and the old beams just gave it charm; the beds were comfortable, the room nice and warm and we had plenty of hot water.

Sitting on the huge enclosed porch gave us an amazing view of the Sunday night firework display. We could keep an eye on the kids whilst we enjoyed a drink from the bar.

You MUST go to the illuminated Carnival. Its free but you are encouraged to donate some money to charity. The floats were incredible.

We enjoyed it so much we're hoping to book in again for next years Carnival and take our parents with us.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Royal Clarence Hotel? Share your experiences!