“Beautiful Get Away” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Alice Springs Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kos Town
Alice Springs Hotel
You added Alice Springs Hotel to your Saves list
Olympias Street Kos, Kos Town 85 300, Greece   |
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Kos Town
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Get Away”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We got back from Alice Springs very early this morning and i am already missing the reliable hot weather! Starting with the rooms, they are incredibly spacious with plenty of room and the balcony is also a very good size. However some of the balconiess aren't very private but we didn't spend much time on it anyway. The shower is also very impressive, you could probably fit two people in it but the only bad thing about it is that it sometimes leaks. The beds are quite comfy, there is only one double bed in a suite and then there is a sofa bed in the living area with a pull out mattress underneath. It is very hot at night if you don't have air con but after a couple of days we got used to the heat. The pool area is very nice and at the start of the holiday we found it impossible to get a sunbed round the pool as people left their towels on overnight but half way through our holiday a sign was put up telling people to take their towels off at night and not to put them on again until 8am. So just to let you know it is now much easier to get a sunbed! The pool can get quite busy once about half a dozen of people are in it so the best times are probably morning and evening when it is a bit quieter. The hotel is in a lovely location, only a minutes walk down to the beach and perhaps a 15 minute walk to Kos Town. I didn't see any gypsies on the way down to the beach, they must have gone and the lap dancing club has shut down. I didn't see a single cloud whilst in Kos, with the exeption of some in the far distance over the Turkish mainland. Overall, we had a nice stay at Alice Springs and i would definately recommend it for families!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Derbyshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We've visited Kos several times over the last 18 years and stayed in some lovely accommodation, however Alice Springs Hotel is the best. On arrival you are greeted as friends by George, Barbara and Elias. There are only two answers to questions asked by guests; George's response is always 'ask Barbara' and Barbara's answer is always 'of course darling'. Lamb night was delicious and the best lamb we have ever eaten, as is Steak night, T bone, rump or ribs. You are seated and dine around the pool. It is an exceptional evening and allows guests to meet and spend time together. All the staff at the hotel are friendly, helpful and work extremely hard to make your holiday relaxing and stress free; nothing is too much trouble. Try the fresh fruit salad for breakfast and Ellie's apple pie. The secret ingredient to this hotel's success is the family who run it and the staff who work there. Genuine and friendly; they are interested in their guests and work exceptionally hard to make your time there special. We met some lovely people there and miss them all already. We will be back next year. I've already booked it. :D

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Chichester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We returned home on Sunday from a wonderful week at the Alice Springs on a Thomson family holiday (children 8 and 10). New to holiday reviewing, we feel this establishment deserves our effort to comment with an honest review from our experience, particularly for the lovely people who run it. Family run by Barbara and George, their son Elias and all the staff, they tirelessly work to make your stay a real holiday. Nothing is too much trouble – do ask, they are only too pleased to offer their advice on where to go or eat – a real fountain of knowledge and the odd ‘George story’!
As mentioned on countless other reviews, our room was a good size and well furnished for a 1 bed self catering apartment, cleaned daily with towels replaced. Aircon is charged extra. The pool is ample sized and clean. There are ample sunbeds around the pool and garden, in both sun and shade areas. The Alice Springs is situated in a quieter area with ample tavernas nearby or 5 mins from the beach and a 20 minute walk (with children) into Kos Town, either along the main road (via shops) or more pleasant beach road (via bars). We always felt very safe in the area. The nearest beach is shingle and shelves near shore, so not ideal for children, however, walk to the end of the main road and you get to a lovely sandy stretch of beach with shallower water.
Food is good and fairly priced at the Alice Springs – George’s lamb night is a must on your list if you have the good fortune to visit this wonderful jewel on this beautiful island. Note that you can only pay with cash at this hotel. There’s a new cashpoint around the corner and a good supermarket.
Lucy the Thomson rep was very friendly, always circulated and said hello and was fantastic with the children. The friendly atmosphere of the Alice Springs encourages guests to interact if they want to. We met some lovely guests of all ages. (Mrs Orange and Sweetheart Jane – you know who you are!)
Our only issue related to some guests of all nationalities, including British, putting their towels on sunbeds around the pool area day and night and rarely or not using them. This sometimes made it difficult for parents of young children to supervise them as requested. But don’t let that put you off – just move them as we did!
We’re sure you’ll find it hard to discover a more welcoming, well run and friendly holiday hotel. Well done the Alice Springs team – keep it up, we’d love to come back for 2 weeks next time!

Room Tip: You need aircon in July/August
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

just got back from alice springs 12hours ago..my husband 2 boys aged 5 and 9 and I had the most relaxed holiday ever..geogre barbara and elias made us so welcome remembering everyones names and looking after us to the highest standard..we ate at the hotel a few times lamb night amazing worth every penny 29 euros a couple..bbq night 13 euros each well worth it..the hotel rooms were clean and tidy well equipped with everything you need..towels changed daily maids very good..drinks alcoholic or not where the same price as all hotels we have stayed in..location is great as quiet part of town and a 20 min walk in to town ...this the 1st time ive left a review and think its necessary as the hotel is a fantastic ..lucy was our rep she was a lovely girl;helped us with trips great with kids; considering its her 1st year being a rep she is doing a amazing job...we will b going back next year for definate...thanks again to the staff at alice springs room 303

Room Tip: remember to get air con 8euro a day bt worth it
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I always read reviews before booking holiday accomodation.
I want to be fair . This is a well run business . The biggest asset is Elias George's son.
But the bar prices and barbecue / lamb nights are expensive . In comparison to local restaurants.. 4 euros for local beer. Over the top. People in Greece need to know that they can't assume uk prices,when you are eating out and drinking for say 14 days and nights ,and most family's have tighter budgets . When I first went to Greece owners of restaurants and bars ect would give young kids free ice lollies and drinks ,now it's get as much as you can attitude. And I think this is the downside for this accomodation . Nice family but how much of it is about how much you spend.? Elias well done you have a great attitude. George try 3 euros a pint .

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Caernarfon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I stayed in this accomodation with my husband and teenage daughter, returning home on the 18/07/2011. Accomodation was perfect, immaculately clean, towels changed daily and bedding also changed regularly. George's Lamb night was amazing, the meat just melted in my mouth!!
All the staff were very polite and worked hard as a Team.
There was a down side though, all the guests were British, accomodation being exclusive to Customers in the UK, .......I thought I was amongst the Germans with towels placed on sun beds the night before, despite sufficient beds for every one, but some in the rear garden and obviously "the best" by the pool.
Also, I was advised by my local Skytours agency where I had booked our holiday, that it was a good idea to take pre payed Euro Travelcard rather than cash, payments could be made anywhere without added charges, unfortunately though, Alice Springs accomodation do not accept payments with any cards. (Information incase you intend using this card like myself at this accomodation).
Location of Alice Springs was fine, about fifteen minutes of brisk walking to the harbour. There is a supermarket 2 minutes walk away which was convenient for daily fresh bread. We hired bikes for a full day from across the road, which cost us eight euros for three bikes......cheap day out!
Barbara, George and Elias were all very friendly and could advise us on any information we asked they certainly made us feel very welcome.

Room Tip: Room 306 was a two bedded accomodation that could sleep up to six using the bed setees in the lounge...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
March
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We have just got back from a 2 week stay, lovely family run hotel. I always leave reviews on all my locations that I visit that I believe are fare and need to know. This hotel is a a medium star hotel it's a base and somewhere to sleep, the rooms are very very clean and tidy the maids there do a really good job (Natasha) works flat out 0800-2200hrs and does a great job, rooms have Air conditioning which was €8 a night cost me in a 1 bed Appartment over €100 for the 2 weeks stay this the most expensive I have ever had to pay for a 2 week stay if I had of known it was an 800w fuse I would have just took one. The beds are two single pushed together and a sofa bed that the bottom pulls out, it had a good size fridge freezer and the bathrooms were large, if I was to be critical it could to with more space for clothing, and when you go out the electric goes off so your room is hot when you get in and takes a good 30mins to cool once air con comes on. Also we had power cuts 3 nights on the bounce and was offered no refund in my Aircon. Outside there is a great pool really good size adult and a small kids pool can't really fault the pool it's a really good and kids loved it. The surrounds of the pool was very slipping even when walking and I seen plenty of children slip over numerous times, also if you have children they were all developing real sore toes and we were mystified as to how they were getting them. One thing I would mention is the sunbeds here get reserved by towels the night before and you can't get one near the pool if you have young children, they have a lovely garden around the back that is sunny and very quiet perfect for the older generation to sit sun bathe and read but instead they liked to sit around the pool close and moan and pull faces when splashed by the children who were having fun, I was very very disappointed and was the children when the owner George told the kids to stop jumping in as they were wetting the floor in the pool area??, I too was a bit annoyed at this. Secondly it was advertised as self catering but you are not allowed to take food or drink from the supermarket around the pool. Very disappointing when a can of coke is €2.0 and only €0.59 from the supermarket, drinks are very very expensive, we like to sit and have a drink on the evening but a round at Alice Springs for 1 beer 1 cider and 2 slush puppies was €15 I couldn't afford this 2 rounds €30 rip off. The supermarket at the top of the road is the cheapest around definately do all your shopping there. George the owner does a lamb and a BBQ night, this is not value for money and for two adults plus drinks its over €40 for 2 adults 2 children plus drinks was about €30 to €40 else where. The location of the hotel is ok it's approx 20 to 30 minutes walk into Kos Town the road the hotel is on its not very big, it has the supermarket to left out the hotel and a restaurant turn right you have numerous derelict buildings full of graffiti I have pics just send me your email address. It also has a lap dancing bar and a hotel full of young Scandinavians. The beach at lambi is shingle and sharp, the shelve drop in the sea is huge and NOT suitable for children so please be aware. This hotel in my oppinion is great for singles, couples or family's with older. Children. (teenagers) the owner are nice especially the son illias he is a great bloke true star. Anymore questions I am happy to answer this is a review on my my experience and I am not somebody who visits this hotel year in year out and only leaves great feedback out of loyalty.

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Alice Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!