“Great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 50 Hotels in Kos Town
kinross
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

We have just returned form the Alice Springs and had a wonderful time. This is the best 2value for mney hotel we have stayed in, The hotel is as friendly as everyone says and is family run. Everyone tries to ensure your stay is as comfortable and pleasant as possible, even when it isn't sunny! The pool and bar area are really great areas to spend some time and meet up with other guests. We really enjoyed the barbecue night. The bar prices are quite high for the area. Lampi is a 10 minute walk from the centre of Kos town which in October does mean walking past a number of businesses which have shut for the season.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend trips on the Katerina for a 3 island cruise, The Caravan restaurant in Amerkis for food and visiting the many Roman/ Greek ruins. Kos and Alice Springs are great places to spend a truly relaxing ,memorable holiday.
Like a previous reviewer we would like to return which is not something we have done before.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Kos Town, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

my name is jennifer wildigg i am at alicesprings with my husband lyndale willdigg my dad tony duffy and my mom june duffy i would just like to say the hotel owners have been great with us everything we have asked for they have abliged they couldnt do enough for us which helps as my husband and dad are disabled we will be coming back as soon as we can hope this helps chosing a holiday

many thanks jennifer willdigg

Room Tip: they are all good rooms
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Castleford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Ok, so we've just returned from a weeks stay at The Alice Springs Hotel. From start to finish, it was faultless.

GREETING
On arrival, around midnight George, the owner was there to meet us at the main reception desk. He gave us a free carton of milk for my two children (free of charge) as all supermarkets were closed at that point. (A very nice and welcome touch). Elias (Georges son) helped us to our room. ** GREETING FAULTLESS **

ROOM
The room itself was typical for what we needed and as booked. 4 beds, kitchenette (2 rings, a microwave, toaster and kettle, sink, fridge freezer etc) We only used the kettle! Large storage area, wardrobe, sofa, television, Vanity table, balcony with table / 4 chairs and clothes horse. The rooms were cleaned daily and fresh towels were left. The cleaners are not intrusive at all, in fact, we never saw her clean our room although we know full well it was done daily.
** ROOM FAULTLESS **

POOL & GARDEN AREA
The pool area is kept immaculate with several sunbeds, the pool is clean and large enough to cater for everyone. There are more sunbeds to the rear of the buildings in the garden, again immaculate.
** POOL AREA FAULTLESS **

POOL BAR MENU
The pool bar menu is great and reasonably priced. We ate breakfast there most days and the food was excellent. Alice Springs Breakfast highly recommended at €6.50c. I had one breakfast elsewhere at €7 and it was horrible and greasy! I also had the chicken gyros at the pool bar, again delicious!

We stayed for the Lamb night and the BBQ night, both nights were delicious food.
** POOL BAR MENU FAULTLESS **

OWNERS
George, Barbara and Elias are truly great people. They hold quiz nights where the proceeds go to Great Ormand Street hospital. There is correspondence on the notice board from the hospital thanking the hotel for their regular contributions.The pool bar prices are NOT too high. Let's not forget George, Barbara and Elias are business people. They need to make money. I believe the prices are reasonable and yes, I did dine elsewhere on occasions, that's what holidays are all about! I There is a fine line between business and hospitality and I truly believe that George, Barbara and Elias have it spot on.

One night my son developed a cough and I wanted a pharmacy to see what (if anything) they had for him. I asked George where the nearest pharmacy was and he simply said "get in" (to his car) He took me quite a way to the nearest pharmacy. He didn't have to do this, again a very welcome touch.

Elias's two children, Barbie and George are great children and played regularly with my own two children. Barbies English is excellent, she's only 4!
** OWNERS FAULTLESS **

THE ISLAND
I have been to many Greek Islands but this was my first time to Kos. I have to say that I didn't enjoy it as much as Zakynthos. I'm not being negative about Kos at all, it was very nice and the weather was perfect. I do feel that this part of the island is preferable to the older generation. (Start at mid 40's upwards)

RECOMMENDED RESTAURANTS.
I had 3 favourites, they were EFKALIPTY (out of the hotel and across the road)

BLUE PHOENIX
Out of hotel turn right and the restaurant was at the bottom of the road on the left.

SUNSET
Out of hotel turn left. With the supermarket on your right, turn left, 5 minutes walk and SUNSET is on your right hand side.

All of the food at these restaurants were perfect.

SUMMARY
The Alice Springs is a great, clean place to stay. The owners are perfect and give things that little touch that perfects everything they do.

I will definitely return to The Alice Springs just for the hospitality. George, Barbara, Elias, Barbie and George were what made our holiday so special and for that, I thank them very much indeed. Keep up the excellent work!

We'll be back!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

my girlfriend and i have just returned from 10 days at the alice springs , and while i cant speak for others , i found the hotel excellent , but what sets it apart from other greek hotels i have visited, is the genuine family atmosphere , george , barbara and their son elias will go to any lengths to help you , and a personal touch , you just don't find anywhere else
we went to both,the barbecue and lamb nights and i can testify that you got your monies worth , and judging by the empty plates , that was the same for everyone else.
during my stay there, we had regular visitors from the blue lagoon {all inclusive} hotel , who came to the alice springs , just because you get the personal touch, you don't find elsewhere.
rooms were cleaned everyday , with fresh towels , and our room was always spotless and clean .
the walk into kos town , takes appox 15 mins , and once there , we found it so pretty , with lovely old lanes , and a square where you could seat and have a coffee and watch the world go by.
down by the harbour , host of trips to turkey / 3island tours / rhodes etc. which are a lot cheaper than booking with thompson.
i have never visited the same hotel twice. as the world is a big place, but i intend to go back one day.

Room Tip: rooms by the pool are of a very high standard
hull city england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

george,barbara and elias i would like to thank you for a fantastic holiday,on my next return to kos i will be heading stright to alice springs,our poolside room was very clean and tidy the swiming pool itself was very clean well looked after,the poolside bar was a lovley place to meet other people,not to be missed barbecue and lamb nights wonderful food,george,barbara and elias who run the hotel are very friendly and plescent treat you like one of the family,the wife and myself have been to many greek island hotels this one is bye far the best,i would highly recommend alice springs hotel as your destination in kos.ps george still hates jonny willkinson,elias say hello to killer the hotel dog from frank and sharon from hull.one for the road.

Room Tip: we found the poolside rooms to be very relaxing
Cumbria, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

My husband and I have just returned from 2 weeks at the Alice Springs, and I must admit I found a lot of the reviews on here very overated. We have been to many many greek islands, so we do 'basic greece' easily, but unfortunately the Alice Springs is a little tired around the edges. We had a room at the front of the hotel, there were marks on the bathroom walls which stayed there the whole time we were there, cleanliness was not the strong point at this hotel. The bathroom was really outdated and was in a need of an upgrade. The Lamb night everyone raves about is 29 euros for 2 people which is expensive, you have to pay extra for the pudding and drinks which at 4 euros a time is expensive for Greece. We could get a meal with a litre of wine up on the main road at 'Angels' for the 2 of us.
On a positive note the family are as friendly as everyone says, but I did feel they were only after getting as much money of you they could. At the welcome meeting Amy the rep also geared everything towards george's barbie night, lamb night, dvd night money money money fleece the holiday makers while we can.
The reception area was only opened up on Wednesday's and Saturdays when it was change over days
If you want to hire a car go see Georgia at Auto Bank on the main road (turn right at the big super market).
This would be a great holiday if you want a typical 'Brits abroad' booze up every night and not that bothered about cleanliness, and just want a bed to doss in.
Not in the best of locations either, on the short walk to the beach most of the road is full of derelict buildings.
Kefalos is a much nicer and more relaxing resort.

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

We were not actually staying at the Alice Springs Hotel, we were All Inclusive at the Blue Lagoon 10 mins down the road. We found Alice Springs when the boys wanted to watch the Football our hotel had no screens, our reception pointed us in the the direction of Alice Springs.

We went back the following night to there "Lamb Night" the food was amazing and excellant value for money. We also went to there Steak night, i have never seen steak as big as my plate before and again was delicious and great value for money, i will also add there was 20 of us that went back for the steak night and we were all sat together and ate together no problems at all!!

George, Barbara and Elias made us feel very welcome everytime we visted them, we were All Inclusive yet we went to Alice Springs at least 7 times out of a 14 day holiday either for something to eat or a few drinks and a friendly chat. It was nice to be referred to by my name rather than be a number with a wrist band! We sat at the bar most times we visited and had a great time getting to know this lovely family who take alot of pride in there hotel and making sure everyone enjoys there holiday!

George let us have a look at the rooms by the pool and to contrary what some people have put them as "very basic" they are no more basic than our room that we paid £1500 at a 5* Hotel!!! They were very clean with everything you needed in it to sleep in what more do you want from a room on holiday!! Kos itself is very minimal if you do your research properly you would find this out!!

We are already arranging to go back to Kos next year and evan face the dreaded KOS Airport where delays are more normal than flying on time! This time we will stay at Alice Springs and we cannot weight to catch up with our favourite Greek/Australian Family!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Alice Springs Hotel? Share your experiences!