“Garden Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 50 Hotels in Kos Town
Stockport
“Garden Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We made the mistake of reading some of the reviews before we went to this hotel, (my wife and two friends), and were quite nervous about the reports of rats, cockroaches and spiders etc. We arrived in the middle of the night due to unsociable flight times and so we were not able to make any judgements until the following morning as all we wanted was to go to bed. We had been given adjacent 'bungalows' and our first views were of the gardens which were well laid out and immaculately manicured. Our accommodation was situated approximately half way between the swimming pool and the main building and so was extremely convenient for both. The standard of maid service and cleanliness was high, two changes of sheets in a week and used towels replaced daily and the public areas were kept to a high standard. We found the staff friendly, helpful and efficient, may be it's how you treat them. Although the hotel is massive the only area where this became apparent was the dining area. I refused to call this a restaurant and referred to it as the canteen. Meal times were somewhat of a scrum although the staff were very efficient at clearing tables and replenishing trays of food on the servery. Ah, the food. The best I can say about this was that it was probably prepared with good intentions. Although there was a good choice of cold buffet at breakfast the hot selections were somewhat repetative. For some reason lunches were usually better than dinners although the salad bar was excellent at both. Despite having a healthy appetite and a real love of food I failed to summon up much enthusiasm for meal times. Over all the hotels facilities are good and the location excellent. We read that we could walk into Kos Town in ten minutes down the beach, we only tried this once and found that our abilities were not of the same standard as the person who gave this as a tip. The walk is, however, easily managed down the road in 30 minutes although a taxi into town only cost us 8 Euros.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Margate, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed week before last at this hotel all inclusive. Room view was great, drains overflowing in bathroom wasn't - they did fix it but took a couple of days to clear the smell! Food was mediocre for bfast, lunch was good, dinner was basically lunch again so only did that once. Never had AI before and having free drinks all day and lunch was good, also wine in the evening ok. However the staff in the Main bar (not AI) was really rude - first night "you must go to the other bar, you have to pay here" before even finding out what I wanted. About 3 nights in went back to have a proper cocktail and pay for it - "no we haven't got that" and just walked away, no chance to choose another or apologise or explain exactly what a fully stocked bar hadn't got to make a Tom Collins - flabbergasted. Main gripe was the inability to arrange and pay to keep my room til 6 pm (as I had an evening flight) until the last morning, why can't they tell me yes or no before that - incredibly poor management. Staff on reception also very abrupt and unhelpful - didn't even know where to get the bus back to the hotel from the harbour! Animation programme was also very loud and intrusive around the pool - and no pool towels available - very poor for a 4* hotel. Love Kos town but wouldn't go back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Sea view room 3rd floor was quiet and perfectly ok location wise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

We booked 2 rooms for 4 people from 31/08 until 14/09.
At first sight all seems ok, we are given bright and spacious apartments with included A/C in a quite area of the resort within easy access to the main building.
2 days into the holiday, my sister opens the kitchen cupboard and she finds a big fatty grey RAT with a very long tail in it. Disgusted, she reports it to reception and the same day their room gets changed from 658 to 433 in the main building. NOBODY offered an apology and nobody helped my mum and sister with the bags…
At the end of every day in room 433, they find in the bathtub either SPIDERS, COCKROACHES or some sort of INSECTS. However, they never tell me therefore it doesn’t get reported to reception (they don’t speak English) until the last night when I go to their room and using the toilet I see them. I go downstairs to reception and the answer is that they would tell housekeeping the next day to spray something on the wall (I had the feeling this is not unusual).
On another day, we go for breakfast in the main restaurant room and my mum places the beach bag under the table without paying too much attention. At the end of the breakfast, she looks under the table to get the bag and a big dead COCKROACH is lying there upside down…
Across the whole Resort STRAY CATS AND DOGS run free undisturbed…
On another occasion, I’m eating a slice of cake and I see something strange hanging from there… a hair is inside the cake!!
It seems like there is a great lack of basic hygiene rules here.
The BEACH…!! This is the only hotel that I know that charges you 3.00 Euros per sun bed to use its own beach. On top of this, the beach it’s filthy with cigarettes buds everywhere and there isn’t even a lifeguard. So what is the charge for???
Other things that I personally didn’t like is the way they sign you in when you go for breakfast/dinner (we were on a half board basis). At arrival we were given a breakfast and dinner card. The card has numbered boxes which represent the day of the month and every time you go for breakfast/dinner they write ‘2’ (my card was for 2 people) in the box corresponding to the day of the month. HOWEVER, even if you go on your own, they would still sign ‘2’ on the card so my husband and I were obliged to go together otherwise one of us would lose the meal (my husband likes to sleep and I want to hit the beach very early). The breakfast finishes at 9.30am…a bit too early for a holiday destination in my opinion.
Also, some days we wanted to swap dinner with lunch. This is allowed only once during the whole holiday – I thought I was going on holiday and instead I felt like I joined the army, so many ridiculous rules that however were never explained to us at arrival.
I have been in many resorts in my life but this has been the worse by far. I will never return again, EVER!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Canterbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Arrived late on the 26th August.Our transfer coach managed to offload one of our cases at a prior drop off. The Hotel Staff were so helpful and made calls the following day to the company and we were reunited the following afternoon with our luggage. Our travel Company Travel republic had also failed to inform the hotel that we required one of our 3 booked rooms to be close to the room that had our elderly Father in, due to him using a wheelchair and may have required assistance. The Hotel tried to rectify this as far as was possible considering they were nearly full. I can only praise the reception staff. The Hotel is beautiful and very well laid out, right on the beach. Always plenty of sun beds by the pools even though it was peak season. The food was fairly good, we always managed to find something. Breakfast time was pretty chaotic and not the calm experience one would wish for. Our rooms were all cleaned to a good standard. The A/C was definitely more efficient in our apartment than in the other two rooms on the 4th floor of the main hotel. The hotel is well located, a 30 min walk into Kos town. There is also a regular bus service that stops right outside the hotel.The excellent staff were a godsend. Thank you.

Room Tip: We loved our quiet apartment. Good size, Good A/C
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We have just returned from a week All inclusive here. On arriving about midnight we were told Bars & Restaurant were closed, but we could buy a drink from the main bar if we wanted. We were shown to our room,one of the bungalows alongside the hotel, upon opening the door it was quite a fusty smell which we said we would sleep here tonight then asked to be moved in the morning. Beds were very hard also. In the morning everything seemed better Beautiful weather, we asked for a matress topper and the beds were fine, opened the doors and gave a good blast of fresh air and spray of deodorant and no more smell.My 12 year old daughter loved the pancake bar for breakfast. The food was as good as any other hotel we have used & we ate out two evenings at lovely tavernas in kos town, The pools and entertainment during the day are really good and the beach is beautifull, there are stones to get in to the sea but we took beach shoes and not a problem at all then, lots of shade from the trees and grounds are very flat for anyone with walking problems. You can walk along the beach in about 10 mins to kos town.Lovely & quiet for sleeping at night, also was very handy having a fridge in the room. would definately use this hotel again. The staff were all very friendly. For the price we payed we were very satisfied.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dudley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We travelled to this hotel for 2 weeks from 8th August 2013. This is the 7th time we have visited Kos so we knew what to expect. What can I say lovely hotel, with wonderful hardworking under appreciated staff. Nothing too much trouble for the staff despite the treatment they received from some of the rude horrible guests. The room we were allocated was a bungalow in gardens just across from the beach, nice and quiet. Nice and clean. Food was okay although after two weeks was a bit repetitive. Meals were catered for Russians. Down side to the holiday were the rude arrogant, pushy Russians. 98% were Russians. We are very tolerant and tended to ignore them. They treated the staff with contempt and were really rude, barking bar orders at the lovely bar staff. Manners cost nothing but these Russians had NO manners at all, it took your breath away. Still on the up side we met two english families and enjoyed conversation with some lovely German people.
We made the most of our holiday using the pool and going to the nice sandy beach. It is a nice clean hotel with a friendly entertainment team with all the usual ammenities, nothing really to moan about. The hotel owns the Waterpark which you can visit free as many times as you want, but be prepared for the scrum to get on the bus going. In nice location near to Kos town which is well worth a visit. First time we have come across so many Russians outside of Turkey.
Only reason we would not revisit this hotel would be because of the majority of Russian visitors.
A big thank you to the marvellous reception staff who handled all our queries brilliantly. Also the bar staff who had our drinks memorised and who were fantastic even though very overworked. Don't let negative reveiws put you off trying this hotel just go with an open mind and learnto say " push off" in Russian.

Room Tip: bungalow room 13 overlooking beach
Ljubljana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We were in this hotel from 23. August till 30. August 2023 and it was great. We had luck with room, and could see childrens poll from terace. The hotel really is on a beach. The food is good. We missed only some fruits in between courses, and maybe the variety should be better. Main courses wew diferent every day, but other - like salads were a bit dull.

My milly likes music so maybe we missed that at the pool area, but it is understandable, that not everyone likes music to be on all the time. Animation team was good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Atlantis? Share your experiences!